Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

All steam power is the same priority, so if you have half your power needs after solar met by coal boilers and half by nuclear steam, the nukes will run at half capacity. Try putting some tanks on the end of your turbines and see if they fill with steam.

e:you got it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My favorite thing to do once past coal power is to plop an accumulator down next to the water pump feeding those boilers and use a logic wire to turn them off when above 20% charge. Makes for a nice backup power source at night when you start over growing your solar or nuclear builds.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Orvin posted:

My favorite thing to do once past coal power is to plop an accumulator down next to the water pump feeding those boilers and use a logic wire to turn them off when above 20% charge. Makes for a nice backup power source at night when you start over growing your solar or nuclear builds.

This is simple but I could see it being a problem if you suddenly needed a lot of extra power. I use a latch and power switch, keeping the entire steam engine network isolated. Then if it switches on the power is immediately available, no need for the water to pump back in first and build the steam up again.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ambaire posted:

You may be wondering: why so many grenades? Well, I sorta generated the map with trees set to MAX and they're needed to expand the building space. The aliens are also set to MAX everything, but with MAX ore richness, I should be able to progress to artillery and a laser wall powered by nuclear reactors before I need to go outside the 'safe' area.

Would be a shame if a flamethrower accidently went off.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

necrotic posted:

This is simple but I could see it being a problem if you suddenly needed a lot of extra power. I use a latch and power switch, keeping the entire steam engine network isolated. Then if it switches on the power is immediately available, no need for the water to pump back in first and build the steam up again.

Now that I've mostly gone to solar instead of giant nuclear builds, I tend to just automate my power builds so that after a certain point I have so much excess power that I never need to worry about it and at that point I just bulldoze my entire steam (and/or nuclear) network.

I pretty much just make sure my robots always have a solar power area to plop down the output from my solar cell/accumulator assembler(s) and because I play the game fairly slow, my power available tends to always be far in excess of what I could ever need.

This is mostly because I'm lazy.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Over building x is a good answer in general.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And here it is, 49 hours in, I finally automated green science

Now it's time to find bottlenecks, deal with some of the byproducts that I've been storing and then finally start setting up a rail network.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Sometimes I think it's a marvel that the devs have managed to create such a seemingly polished game from what it was even ~3-5 years ago. I randomly stumbled across the black magic splitter post in the Factorio subreddit and it led to this bug report thread on the factorio forums where Kovarex himself claimed it was 'working by design, no bugs here, nope'...

Anyone remember this nonsense?
https://i.imgur.com/0yK9e6e.mp4
Or this stupid poo poo?
https://i.imgur.com/5U9jeYF.gifv

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget the, items move slightly slower around the outside curve of belts, problem. And then there was the time where they messed up belt compression so you had to do some weird things with splitters in your smelting lines to get a full belt.

Also the best patch, the one that caused trains to ignore signals.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

newb here: I've been playing for 3 hours in free play without managing to provoke the bugs somehow . My first game I managed to get owned after only an hour. Am I just lucky?

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 13, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Unless you set the starting area size to max, you got incredibly lucky with the bug spawns.

Once your cloud hits the nests, they start attacking like mad. Don't let nests exist in your cloud is basically rule #1 of Factorio.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Oh man. 23MW of iron mining goodness just coming online. Satisfactory has nothing on the satisfaction of mega madness that Factorio gives one.

Daytime:

2x2 nuclear plant holding its own with plenty of room to spare.

And the blueprint that I tiled over the patch.

e. and of course the iron ore injection array to the output deprived original patch. Splitters are set to prioritize the old patch and feed their original lanes. I'll need a second iron ore unload area and a second iron train soonish.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 13, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ambaire posted:

Sometimes I think it's a marvel that the devs have managed to create such a seemingly polished game from what it was even ~3-5 years ago. I randomly stumbled across the black magic splitter post in the Factorio subreddit and it led to this bug report thread on the factorio forums where Kovarex himself claimed it was 'working by design, no bugs here, nope'...

Anyone remember this nonsense?
https://i.imgur.com/0yK9e6e.mp4

Splitters alternate between output belts on a per-item-type basis, rather than simply per-item*. This means that in the example above, the second splitter is fed a series of items that (per-type) always alternate between left and right lane, which means it will consistently output each input lane to a separate belt.

They do this because it's better than the original behaviour of just alterating output belt of each item regardless of type. That resulted in things like a compressed belt of coal and another of iron ore passing through a splitter and emerging unmixed.

Yes, it's working as intended. It works generally and you have to go out of your way to get funky results like the sorting system. In the example above an extra single plate of only one of the types had to be put through the second splitter and not the first. Otherwise it would just produce mixed output as you'd expect

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Freaksaus posted:

Don't forget the, items move slightly slower around the outside curve of belts, problem.

I remember that being a thing like 5 years ago. It's amazing how much time they have put into this game.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Freaksaus posted:

Don't forget the, items move slightly slower around the outside curve of belts, problem.

I still have PTSD from this and get anxious when my belts have to zig and zag to get where they need to go

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

RVWinkle posted:

I remember that being a thing like 5 years ago. It's amazing how much time they have put into this game.

Having played for the last 5 years the game is feeling super polished now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

goooo

fuuuuuck

yourseeeelf

i own you, angelbob. the end is in sight

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

i say swears online posted:

goooo

fuuuuuck

yourseeeelf

i own you, angelbob. the end is in sight

Username/post matchup of the thread

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

what should i do when my belts fill up they're causing jams in production?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Since you're a newbie it will be easier to understand what you're talking about with a screenshot. The general answer would be either consume things faster, or possibly to buffer, but it depends. You can do math and calculate how much of something you need to produce for a given purpose. For example, a yellow belt can transport 15 items/second, so if you want to output a yellow belt of gears with blue assemblers, you would need (15 gears / .75 (blue assembler speed) * 0.5 (gear crafting time)) = 10 assemblers, and since each gear requires two iron plates, you'd need two belts of iron plates to supply them. Then you might think that two belts of iron is way too much given your current smelting capacity, so you build half of it and potentially output half a belt of gears. On the other hand, if you're talking about a remote mining base halting production when there isn't a train there to load, well that's why you put chests as buffers in between the belts and the cars.

It's fine if parts of your factory aren't always producing. Gears are a good example of this - you'll need a ton when you're producing belts, but if you're just sipping away on a small number of belts for green science, your demand for gears will go way down and your production line will back up, which is totally fine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Stairmaster posted:

what should i do when my belts fill up they're causing jams in production?

Full belts shouldn't cause jams in production of end-of-the-line items. If you want to stockpile something, inserters can put stuff in chests.

Are you putting more than one type of item on a belt lane? I would strongly suggest not doing that. It will cause you no end of problems and is easily avoided by running another belt if you really need to bring another item type to that area.

Or do you mean a jam like you're smelter's aren't running because you're making more iron than you're using? If this is the problem, don't worry about it. That's what you want to happen. Keep playing and as you make more stuff you'll eventually reach a point where you are using more iron than you're smelting and need to add more furnaces and possibly another belt of iron plates to serve the assemblers that aren't getting enough iron.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Is it possible to use bots to remove modules from machines in unmodded?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So the redesign on the beacon got another overhaul.

Aiming instead for sticking out less than production buildings, especially when alt-mode is on (since you don't need the visualisation of the modules when they're visible on the model).

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 14, 2020

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's a much better redesign. Not sure what they were thinking with the first iteration that loomed over everything.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
All hail the sacred god that is t3 production modules. Finally got around to upgrading my green circuits and holy gently caress this is insane. Ratios may not be exact but getting 1.9x the copper (in circuits) from copper plates is simply silly. And then there's the copper smelting which is another 1.2x...

so let's see. 50% mining productivity times 20% smelting prod times 40% copper wire prod times 40% green circuit prod times 40% red circuit prod times 40% blue circuit prod... that's stretching the base mines nearly 7x and that's not even counting science pack prod and lab prod.

maybe one of these days I'll actually build a proper megabase instead of just messing around with stuff. I'm building my blueprint books from scratch, though, so some messing around is needed.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

That's a much better redesign. Not sure what they were thinking with the first iteration that loomed over everything.

Agreed.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I have a question about updating the game.

I run the game on a windows machine that isn't connected to the internet. I'm writing this post on a mac. I'd like to update the game to 0.18, ideally by just downloading an .exe or installer file to my mac, then USBing it over to windows. I have the game on steam.

I feel like an old man for not being able to figure this out, but I have yet to find a way to do this. Is it possible?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
https://www.factorio.com/download -- you can log in with Steam and download the Windows installer.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mario posted:

https://www.factorio.com/download -- you can log in with Steam and download the Windows installer.

Much appreciated!

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
About 100 hours into my PyAL playthrough, still in green science, still moving things to my rail grid but it's getting there. Had several power problems which took a while to fix Also resource problems (First it was tin, then lead, then aluminium) which completely shut down my rail production, making any attempt of getting it back a real pain. I cn finally start moving circuits to their own blocks and then start looking at the next science.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Someone just mentioned this mod on a factorio discord I'm in and now I need this for 0.18

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/belt-overflow

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Um no. The occasional item explosion from removing your power armor incorrectly would be nothing compared to the hell of that mod. It can die in a fire.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

Um no. The occasional item explosion from removing your power armor incorrectly would be nothing compared to the hell of that mod. It can die in a fire.

I guess some people just hate fun...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It mostly just seems like extra tedium of wiring inserters to belts and setting circuit conditions.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Ambaire posted:

All hail the sacred god that is t3 production modules. Finally got around to upgrading my green circuits and holy gently caress this is insane. Ratios may not be exact but getting 1.9x the copper (in circuits) from copper plates is simply silly. And then there's the copper smelting which is another 1.2x...

so let's see. 50% mining productivity times 20% smelting prod times 40% copper wire prod times 40% green circuit prod times 40% red circuit prod times 40% blue circuit prod... that's stretching the base mines nearly 7x and that's not even counting science pack prod and lab prod.

maybe one of these days I'll actually build a proper megabase instead of just messing around with stuff. I'm building my blueprint books from scratch, though, so some messing around is needed.

Buddy, messin' about is how you lose track of several months.

1.5M Iron Plate/min & about 212K Steel/min in that screenshot. I've made some UPS improvements since then, chugs along at 56-60 UPS...making about 1M Copper Plates too.

Majere fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 22, 2020

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I've been playing Satisfactory lately (because my wife will play it but not Factorio). Every annoyance I have with Satisfactory has already been solved in Factorio. It is amazing to me how good the UI is and how smooth playing Factorio is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LLSix posted:

I've been playing Satisfactory lately (because my wife will play it but not Factorio). Every annoyance I have with Satisfactory has already been solved in Factorio. It is amazing to me how good the UI is and how smooth playing Factorio is.

Factorio is a rare and special gem. It's a game of optimization and scalability designed by people who loving love optimization and scale.

I moved on to Oxygen Not Included which scratches my same itch of designing complicated machines to accomplish a task. Fun game. Klei makes good poo poo. ONI is good poo poo.

But.

I sorely miss some of the basic features that Factorio has. Why are there no copy/paste options? Why can't I ctrl-z to undo a misplaced item? Why do I have to manually deconstruct a wall (taking care to get JUST the wall, not the pipes/wires/vents behind it) before I can place a door in it? Why can some buildings be rotated, but not others? Why does the performance degrade so much over time?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Help, I've fallen into shapez.io and I can't get out

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Majere posted:

Buddy, messin' about is how you lose track of several months.

1.5M Iron Plate/min & about 212K Steel/min in that screenshot. I've made some UPS improvements since then, chugs along at 56-60 UPS...making about 1M Copper Plates too.

Wow. Any more screenshots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.