Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

I'm old. :( I checked the dates, and Avatar started the year I started college. But it seems to be people around my own age who talk it up so much, so...

Yeah, same, I don't see anyone really younger than me going nuts for it but I bunch of people I know my age have been binging it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Lindsay Ellis is massively overrated and is exactly the same as every other smug youtube/twitter pop media analysts.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

PizzaProwler posted:

Lindsay Ellis is massively overrated and is exactly the same as every other smug youtube/twitter pop media analysts.

i think that style of video essay isn't bad at presenting facts and the context behind a work but typically has trouble really putting analysis forward towards making a conclusion. i think the main problem is that the critical lens they use is far too broad.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Jenny Nicholson is... good

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Add Lancer and blades in the dark to the Itch.io game pile of stuff that I have enjoyed/ enjoyed donating too.

Though I get the feeling anyone cross about a charity game thing is also going to consider RPG's with dice "not real games".

Oh and speaking of unpopular opinions: I think that academic writing is both needlessly complex and designed to exclude.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Jun 14, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

She's excellent. She's a script doctor and an exceptional one.

Linsday Ellis is all right but she's a film critic. It's different. I definitely think she equivocates and waffles too much on topics that are perceived to be "touchy" but that's also a function of her fanbase and the types of things they go apeshit over.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

All the online film critics basically suck. Also the more "skits" and "characters" they come up with the worse they are. They somehow feel like a relic of the internet past that just won't die.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, same, I don't see anyone really younger than me going nuts for it but I bunch of people I know my age have been binging it again.
It's the same way people a little older than them talk up Batman: The Animated Series. Some people have a very hard time admitting that their formative media didn't grow up with them.

PizzaProwler posted:

Kind-of, but I'd still take 1 of her over 1,000 RLMs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cythereal posted:

I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender for the first time since it's on Netflix, and I don't get the hype grown adults have for it.

It's a good children's cartoon, don't get me wrong, but it's just a children's cartoon and nothing more. And despite so many people I know telling me at length about how awesome a villain Azula is, complete with linking hour-plus youtube videos analyzing her, I found her maybe the most boring character on the show. Ooh look at me, I'm crazy!

I think it's mainly because serial storytelling in American children's cartoons was and still is really rare. So they were like, "wow there's an ongoing story"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jenny Nicholson is the best movie video essay Youtube person. She's extremely obviously earnest, her videos are well thought out and planned without being overly scripted, the jokes are well integrated into the overall analysis, and she does the Plinkett thing of poking fun of herself for her own interests without defensively spinning it off into a different character

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mind the walrus posted:

It's the same way people a little older than them talk up Batman: The Animated Series. Some people have a very hard time admitting that their formative media didn't grow up with them.

Kind-of, but I'd still take 1 of her over 1,000 RLMs.

RLM is good when they're just bullshitting about movies instead of doing the Plinkett thing

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah if you're so bereft of real world friends that you need to simulate burnouts making half-realized observations about a movie they just saw in-between work shifts. You'd think after a decade they'd be kind-of good at it but somehow every video feels like the first one they've ever done.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah if you're so bereft of real world friends that you need to simulate burnouts making half-realized observations about a movie they just saw in-between work shifts. You'd think after a decade they'd be kind-of good at it but somehow every video feels like the first one they've ever done.

why are you like this

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still think the Star Trek and Star Wars movie reviews are really funny, but nothing else Theyve done is interesting. I literally think a major problem is that Mike really cares about Star Trek and doesn't really give a poo poo about most of the things that he's reviewing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The other two have zero media literacy background and you'd think after it became obvious that this was their meal ticket they'd be doing some legwork in their spare time, but they either haven't and/or they're stubbornly refusing to integrate anything they know in an attempt to remain "relatable."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOsMVPS4Kls&list=PLw4w6pxDkwuYuWPKACrEdlFbNXtFK52AU&index=19

this doesn't look gross, but in fact, looks delicious

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who the hell buys a red GT-R?

edit:
PHUO: All consoles are just shittier computers now. I bought a PS4 just for Red Dead Redemption 2 and it was awesome to have to wait like 2 hours to play the game that came on a disk with the console because there was like 100gb of day one updates to load somehow.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Jun 16, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d much rather watch Escape from LA than Escape from new York

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

oldpainless posted:

I’d much rather watch Escape from LA than Escape from new York

Mods?!

wait

hang on

oh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's reasonable. It's not an issue of which is better, but which they'd rather watch. And Escape From New York might be the better movie, but it's also arguably the more boring movie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

She is for sure one of the best.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Samurai Champloo is not just good but one of the best and anime haters should watch it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Samurai Champloo is not just good but one of the best and anime haters should watch it

I'm not an anime guy but the theme song to this show is class

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Overseas PHUO, The British are so smug about their bacon being "better" but it's just loving ham. We have ham in the US too. People even fry ham up for breakfast regularly here it's not some weird outlandish concept. it's seriously not amazing that you have more back meat in your bacon and you miss the whole point that it's a condiment.'

I will admit a lot of Americans also miss the point of it being a condiment and eat like 8 pieces of bacon at once though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

Overseas PHUO, The British are so smug about their bacon being "better" but it's just loving ham. We have ham in the US too. People even fry ham up for breakfast regularly here it's not some weird outlandish concept. it's seriously not amazing that you have more back meat in your bacon and you miss the whole point that it's a condiment.'

I will admit a lot of Americans also miss the point of it being a condiment and eat like 8 pieces of bacon at once though.

Americans calling bacon "ham" while still also calling ham "ham" is possibly the dumbest of the many incorrect names Americans have for foods and cooking terms. And the stuff Americans call bacon is garbage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

history is written by the victors. You live in a country that thinks they are unique for having ham lol.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bet an American cup of tea tastes like piss-water

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

history is written by the victors. You live in a country that thinks they are unique for having ham lol.

No one thinks that. It is, as usual, America that's the weird place where inferior bacon is the norm.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

british supermarket food is the worst ive seen including american supermarket food

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

An American cup of tea tastes like harbour water.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Shibawanko posted:

british supermarket food is the worst ive seen including american supermarket food

I was just about to say this is a blatant lie then I realized our 2 best supermarkets are German (Lidl and Aldi)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Who cares?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm a vegetarian and even I can realize that both kinds of bacon are good you goddam loving goons. As always, Canada remains the best anglo(ish) country because you can get both kinds of bacon easily.

Also I just wanna further confuse the conversation by saying that the thing americans call "canadian bacon" is neither ham nor actual peameal bacon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It tastes like the sugar that makes up half of the volume.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The hard truth is that Americans make lovely tea and so do the British. For good tea, you need to ask the countries we stole it from in the first place.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ok but where did they steal it from in the first place?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you can get unsweetened tea at literally every food joint in America

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Ok but where did they steal it from in the first place?

india and china mostly, among others

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

hawowanlawow posted:

you can get unsweetened tea at literally every food joint in America

You can also get hot tea of many varieties, and lmfao at the desperate tries to dunk on cold sweet tea.

It's gross but plenty of us grew up on cold tea unsweetened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can also get hot tea of many varieties, and lmfao at the desperate tries to dunk on cold sweet tea.

It's gross but plenty of us grew up on cold tea unsweetened.

Also, cold tea is popular in the US because it's loving hot in most of the US for parts of the year and cold tea became popular as a way to cool off and stay hydrated.