Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Has HHH ever been a good face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fatherofmustard posted:

Has HHH ever been a good face?

he was kinda alright leading DX after Shawn left

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

After his return as a face in 2002, he was so over they had to turn him heel again lest he overshadowed every other face past present and future

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
He's been successful as a face for fairly short periods, but you can't say that's ever been his strength.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Punch McLightning posted:

He's been successful as a face for fairly short periods, but you can't say that's ever been his strength.

Which sorta underlines a problem with him: he doesn't have enough interesting offence or ring presence to be in control most of the match, but he's a good seller (if he feels like it). But character wise, he's much better suited to be a heel.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Where did the "no one kicks out of the Falcon Arrow" meme start?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Power Windows posted:

With the first Falcon Arrow.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Hi, here's another batch of questions - I enjoy keeping this thread going, and I hope people enjoy answering them:

1. Why didn't Christopher Daniels ever become a thing in the WWF/E?

2. Are there any catchy wrestling theme songs one should actually have in their library and/or purchase? I find the Gentleman Jack Gallagher theme to be fantastic. Lance Storm has a TNA/Impact theme that's actually really neat.

3. I vaguely recall Paul Heyman had a stable on SmackDown!, consisting of just hosses: Lesnar, Matt Morgan, A-Train, Big Show, and Nathan Jones (I had to go look this up, and I was sure Nathan Jones was only around for like 1-2 months, but nope - Wikipedia reveals he was in WWE for 8 months before managing to quit while on tour in Australia). Was this purely just a thing for Survivor Series, or did they do an actual angle? Did Jones quitting wreck this team/angle?

4. When did WWE's online store stop selling DVDs/Blu-Rays?

5. Has anyone played the 80s WWF board game? Was it at all decent?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
People say Daniels was gonna be the higher power but I don’t buy it. I can see somebody throwing his name out there in a meeting or something.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Hi, here's another batch of questions - I enjoy keeping this thread going, and I hope people enjoy answering them:

2. Are there any catchy wrestling theme songs one should actually have in their library and/or purchase? I find the Gentleman Jack Gallagher theme to be fantastic. Lance Storm has a TNA/Impact theme that's actually really neat.

Daniels was much smaller than WWE was interested in and by the time they opened up to the point they might sign a guy like him he was in his 40s.

reDRagon's theme from ROH "Dance Away" is the greatest wrestling theme song the United States has ever produced. It's technically by a real band.

Seams posted:

People say Daniels was gonna be the higher power but I don’t buy it. I can see somebody throwing his name out there in a meeting or something.

He wasn't going to be the WWF Higher Power he was going to be Vampiro's higher power in 1999 WCW.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Power Windows posted:

Excalibur and Chuckie T started it as a jokey catchphrase when they called PWG matches, and then mainstreamed it when they went to AEW.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Red posted:

It was okay. I used to have it but it got lost at some point over the years.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

He wasn't going to be the WWF Higher Power he was going to be Vampiro's higher power in 1999 WCW.

Do people mix up the Daniels/Vampiro angle and the Hade Vansen thing? I feel like I've heard the pitch for Daniels being somehow involved in an Undertaker program but with no actual citation a bunch of times.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Do people mix up the Daniels/Vampiro angle and the Hade Vansen thing? I feel like I've heard the pitch for Daniels being somehow involved in an Undertaker program but with no actual citation a bunch of times.

Did Daniels ever even appear on WWF/E programming as himself (like, I know he was one of the Conquistadors in 2000, but that was under a mask, and standing in for E+C, so I'm not sure if it counts)? Any Jakked or Heat jobber matches notwithstanding.

At least Hade Vansen got one taped promo before he got canned*.

*and was he any good?

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Benne posted:

Excalibur and Chuckie T started it as a jokey catchphrase when they called PWG matches, and then mainstreamed it when they went to AEW.

Thank you.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

Did Daniels ever even appear on WWF/E programming as himself (like, I know he was one of the Conquistadors in 2000, but that was under a mask, and standing in for E+C, so I'm not sure if it counts)? Any Jakked or Heat jobber matches notwithstanding.

At least Hade Vansen got one taped promo before he got canned*.

*and was he any good?

Daniels did at some jobs on Shotgun Saturday Night and Heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb0yC2eNhS4&app=desktop

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3a5p4r

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHLcCuLdJCw&app=desktop

WWE missed the train. He's such a level headed professional and such a talent.

Dude once turned down a world title because he felt TNA needed to focus on the youngins for the main event.

They acquiesced on the title thing...not so much with young guys.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 14, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does someone have the Edge watching Michigan J. Frog gif? It’s important.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I sorta wish Daniels could get a gold watch AEW world title run but they really seem to be rolling hard on building the belt's prestige.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

I sorta wish Daniels could get a gold watch AEW world title run but they really seem to be rolling hard on building the belt's prestige.

He got an ROH one. It was a nice moment and they brought out the older design of the belt.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'm curious, are there any details on how New Japan decides where someone is going for excursion?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm curious, are there any details on how New Japan decides where someone is going for excursion?

I think it usually has to do with what working relationships are active.

Hence some guys going to Stampede in the 80's but going to WCW in the mid 90's and CMLL in the early aughts, etc.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Red posted:

3. I vaguely recall Paul Heyman had a stable on SmackDown!, consisting of just hosses: Lesnar, Matt Morgan, A-Train, Big Show, and Nathan Jones (I had to go look this up, and I was sure Nathan Jones was only around for like 1-2 months, but nope - Wikipedia reveals he was in WWE for 8 months before managing to quit while on tour in Australia). Was this purely just a thing for Survivor Series, or did they do an actual angle? Did Jones quitting wreck this team/angle?

4. When did WWE's online store stop selling DVDs/Blu-Rays?

2 begins with Minoru Suzuki’s Kaze Ni Nare

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I don't think Daniels was ever under a WWE contract, but I DO believe Bruce Prichard's claim that some version of the Greater Power storyline had Russo pitching Daniels for the role. When Russo had his second WCW run, it was full of weird WWF cosplay bullshit, most famously with Vampiro as Undertaker. Well, for one show, Vamp had some sort of master he talked to who cut a promo with his face not shown while wearing a Greater Power-style robe. It was very obviously Daniels, who was under WCW contract at the time. Like I said, it was for exactly one show, but it would make perfect sense that Russo threw the idea out in creative meetings.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Red posted:

I had it and played it a fair bit. It was fun for a while but much more simple than the cards and dice made it look at first glance. I gave it to a friend of mine in like 1994 along with my extra HeroQuest set and he still has that poo poo. I miss that heroquest game

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

brode sode

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Red posted:

This angle was Morgan's debut and Jones' return. It was mainly set up for Survivor Series and to give some hoss heels to stack up against Benoit and Cena. The angle around that time was mainly Benoit and Cena vs whoever Heyman was throwing at them so Jones quitting didn't really scupper the angle as such. Benoit was being pushed before his Rumble win and Cena was being positioned in the upper midcard. Brock Lesnar transitioned into a a feud against Hardcore Holly with Big Show and A-Train as his muscle, Matt Morgan kind of disappeared until he came back months later with a stuttering gimmick.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Team Lesnar were trying to recruit Cena at first, who was still heel but getting over. Cena gave a non committal answer and then was jumped by A Train, who joined the team. Cena later ran down to save Team Angle from a Team Lesnar beating and earned a massive pop, turning him fully face.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Team Lesnar were trying to recruit Cena at first, who was still heel but getting over. Cena gave a non committal answer and then was jumped by A Train, who joined the team. Cena later ran down to save Team Angle from a Team Lesnar beating and earned a massive pop, turning him fully face.

He pretty much said no flatly, I believe the exact line I was "I ain't wanna be on Team Sasquatch ".

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Red posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7awnRAdbPk

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ok Google translate was no help on this one: what does 'Kaze Ni Nari' mean?

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

Ok Google translate was no help on this one: what does 'Kaze Ni Nari' mean?

Become The Wind

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Holy poo poo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

You know, all these years later and I don't think I ever realized this song had any lyrics other than "American Males!" over and over again.

What is Buff looking at in that picture and why does he look so sad?

And is Riggs wearing an ankh? Nice look ahead to his future in The Flock.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Riggs was a big VtM fan in the 90s.*

*not really

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ganso Bomb posted:

What is Buff looking at in that picture and why does he look so sad?

His future

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I love the cheeky kidney shot by Austin

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Who is considered the worst second generation wrestler? I want to say Scott Putski or David Sammartino but I'm sure there is worse. Say what you will about David Flair and Erik Watts but I was at least entertained by how lovely they were.