Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Reminding me of Lady being a badass in Devil May Cry 3, and also when she shot Dante for being a creep.

And that reminds me of a little touch in DMC3. In a cutscene in every stage, there’s some tiny thing in the background that indicates which stage you’re on. Like the way Dante’s blood forms a 7 when he wipes it on the wall, or the 6 in the ash on the ground that Lady blows up

Kit Walker has a new favorite as of 07:44 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Speaking of good reload animations that make games better

What game is this?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

What game is this?
you don't recognise Resident Evil 4?

I don't even mean that as an insult it's just unimaginable to me lmao

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

a kitten posted:

FFVII Remake

I've gotten pretty used to cool badass video game people opening chests with a kick or some sort of flourish and for some reason the fact that Cloud just like...reaches down and opens them like a normal person amuses me greatly

PYF Chest Opening Animations

Ninja Gaiden: Ryu angrily kicks them open

Star Wars: Fallen Order : Your friendly shoulder robot leaps inside and rummages around. Jedi Dork expreses surprise at this, every single time

Darksiders 2: Death partially manifests his monstrous Reaper form into the world, summoning a gigantic pair of spectral arms to crack that sucker open.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Ninja Gaiden: Ryu angrily kicks them open

Star Wars: Fallen Order : Your friendly shoulder robot leaps inside and rummages around. Jedi Dork expreses surprise at this, every single time

Darksiders 2: Death partially manifests his monstrous Reaper form into the world, summoning a gigantic pair of spectral arms to crack that sucker open.

The classic from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, where Child Link has to balance on the lip of the chest and reach down to get it.

With the important companion of Deku Link from Majora's Mask, who has to jump into the chest to get its contents.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Breath of the Wild opening where you kick it with your bare foot and then grab your foot in agony. Also if you crouch to open it you punch it open and shake your hand in pain.

God of War where Kratos just punches through the loving lid.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nah, I never had the right system at the right time (and was too young for the older ones). I briefly played 4 once at a friend's but from that screenshot I thought it was a Mafia style game, not RE. I finished 6 in co-op but I've not really played any others in the series.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

jojoinnit posted:

Nah, I never had the right system at the right time (and was too young for the older ones). I briefly played 4 once at a friend's but from that screenshot I thought it was a Mafia style game, not RE. I finished 6 in co-op but I've not really played any others in the series.

Whenever the next remake of it comes out, give it a shot it's pretty fun. It gets remade for like every console so you shouldnt have to wait long.

If you shoot someone in the knee so they kneel down, you can run up and suplex them so hard their head explodes. Not only is this hilarious but its actually a really good way to conserve ammo. RE4 is good

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I have a feeling that the next remake of it will probably be like the re2/3 remakes and re4 is good enough that you should just pick it up on its own. if you have a wii kicking around it controls surprisingly well with a wiimote

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Danaru posted:

Whenever the next remake of it comes out, give it a shot it's pretty fun. It gets remade for like every console so you shouldnt have to wait long.

I think I’ve bought that game more times than any other game. At least four times. So worth it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Control, where Jesse will just magic the lid off with her mind powers (even before the plot gets to the point where mind powers are part of normal gameplay)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
The old SNES Mana games where you just suplex the loving chest will always hold a special place in my heart

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In Nier Automata 2B pops them open with a swift kick.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The old SNES Mana games where you just suplex the loving chest will always hold a special place in my heart

Yeah that is fun. This is an example for those who haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOLednqle_Y

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

If you shoot someone in the knee so they kneel down, you can run up and suplex them so hard their head explodes. Not only is this hilarious but its actually a really good way to conserve ammo. RE4 is good

In the sections where you play as Ashley, she normally can't attack. But apparently there's a fairly specific setup which allows you to have her suplex enemies. I don't remember much from the LP of RE4 I watched, but I do remember that. :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

flatluigi posted:

I have a feeling that the next remake of it will probably be like the re2/3 remakes and re4 is good enough that you should just pick it up on its own. if you have a wii kicking around it controls surprisingly well with a wiimote

RE4 is the start of the more 'action-centric' style of Resident Evil that the remakes have been putting the older ones in step with.

So obviously, I hope that instead the RE4 remake makes the game way slower and less action-centric, and throws out the behind-the-back camera in favor of fixed camera angles. Give us what RE4 would've been like if it'd just been made directly after the original RE3.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jun 14, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cleretic posted:

RE4 is the start of the more 'action-centric' style of Resident Evil that the remakes have been putting the older ones in step with.

So obviously, I hope that instead the RE4 remake makes the game way slower and less action-centric, and throws out the behind-the-back camera in favor of fixed camera angles. Give us what RE4 would've been like if it'd just been made directly after the original RE3.

Counterpoint, don't do this poo poo at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

In the sections where you play as Ashley, she normally can't attack. But apparently there's a fairly specific setup which allows you to have her suplex enemies. I don't remember much from the LP of RE4 I watched, but I do remember that. :allears:

IIRC the only reason she can't suplex is that she doesn't have a weapon with which to put enemies into the state where the prompt comes up. But if you exploit dynamic stuff in the environment just right you can get them to stagger, and if you're right there when they do then whammo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think I’ve bought that game more times than any other game. At least four times. So worth it.

That and Snake Eater, my White Albums

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

Fixed camera angles died for a reason.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Strom Cuzewon posted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The first time i played Dark Souls i went in pretty much blind. I thought to myself "this is probably the kind of game that has Mimics" so i gave every chest a good whack with my weapon before opening it with no idea if that would even work or if that monster type even existed.

*whack* nothing
*whack* nothing
*whack* nothing
ok, guess i'm just being silly, but what a good ga-
*whack* giant lanky creepy chest monster unfolds its limbs and eats me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

jojoinnit posted:

A bit more understandable also since that weapon/outfit/animation is a silly post-game unlockable. Sadly you don't have a fedora to flip into the air the first time through.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

a kitten posted:

The first time i played Dark Souls i went in pretty much blind. I thought to myself "this is probably the kind of game that has Mimics" so i gave every chest a good whack with my weapon before opening it with no idea if that would even work or if that monster type even existed.

*whack* nothing
*whack* nothing
*whack* nothing
ok, guess i'm just being silly, but what a good ga-
*whack* giant lanky creepy chest monster unfolds its limbs and eats me

And then in DS2, they made it so chests broke if you attacked them, which might not be my favorite thing, but I appreciate it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Strom Cuzewon posted:

In Assassin's Creed III, there was a hella fiddly and unfun lockpicking minigame. In the next game, your guy just kicks the chests open.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bony tony posted:

In Assassin's Creed III, there was a hella fiddly and unfun lockpicking minigame. In the next game, your guy just kicks the chests open.

I played like twenty hours of ACIII and don’t remember that mini game at all. I don’t remember most of that game, actually, it was kind of just beige mush. What was it?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

AC3 was like every global Ubisoft team collaborating to put in additional content no one would ever interact with.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You dragged the mouse horizontally to find one sweet spot, then you held it and dragged it vertically to find the other sweet spot, then you clicked both buttons to force the lock.

I played that drat game through to completion twice. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ruffian Price posted:

AC3 was like every global Ubisoft team collaborating to put in additional content no one would ever interact with.

this is literally, genuinely the case to the point where there were some developers in a reddit thread years after the fact talking about things they never knew existed in the game

between ac3 and rdr2 it turns out to be really important to not spend too much time on tiny miscellaneous mechanics if you want your game to be fun and interesting as a whole

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bony tony posted:

You dragged the mouse horizontally to find one sweet spot, then you held it and dragged it vertically to find the other sweet spot, then you clicked both buttons to force the lock.

I played that drat game through to completion twice. What the gently caress is wrong with me.

Why were you playing with a mouse?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I still can't pick locks in Deliverance: Kingdom Come. No matter how much I play the tutorial I just could not do it and I don't know if that's on me or them

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Retro Futurist posted:

I still can't pick locks in Deliverance: Kingdom Come. No matter how much I play the tutorial I just could not do it and I don't know if that's on me or them

I know on the console version pickpocketing was completely busted and impossible to do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just once I’d like a game to use controller rumble to make a lockpicking mini game that feels like actual lockpicking. There’s a little snap when you set a pin that’s so satisfying.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Len posted:

Why were you playing with a mouse?

I've always played games with mkb, but I'm a little weird.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP5EfOWFF1E&t=366s

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

i only just played through it two weeks ago for the first time. i wouldnt have recognized it a month ago :shrug:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

:shepface:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nostradingus posted:

It's almost too good. If you have the right allies they'll do everything for you before you're aware of what you're even supposed to do

Hell, I appreciate it. It's nice to have partners that're contributing too so I'm not the one carrying the entire team on my back when it comes to fighting, puzzles, health, etc. Other people are looking at things and going 'Oh I know how to solve this' and just...doing it. It's great, IMO.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bony tony posted:

I've always played games with mkb, but I'm a little weird.

Pretty sure Ubi designed those games for a controller with mkb an afterthought, it still sounds like a bad control scheme but you did it to yourself by not using a controller in 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

It’s absolutely on them. I downloaded a mod that adds segments to that terrible lockpick wheel because otherwise its awful to try and keep pace with.