Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I called it before but now I'm absolutely sure Phyrexia is the plane after Zendikar. Why the hell else would they reprint this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This discussion is going around in circles and I don't see it moving anywhere.

I want to give some money to a BLM charity right now, can people suggest some that would be good to donate to please?

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Sampatrick posted:

how many times do we have to go over the fact that he has platformed literally two black content creators over the last two weeks

To be clear, could you please list the threshold of platforming black content creators to be a true ally, not just a performative one?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Abhorrence posted:

The issue isn't people who are on the fence, it's people on your side of the fence who haven't been making significant material contributions to the cause. Attacking them, calling them no different than people on the other side of the fence doesn't make them change their beliefs, but ot does insure that they won't help as much, or as enthusiastically. They won't change their beliefs, but they won't contribute like they could.

Except he did?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Reik posted:

If that is what you think happened then it's not a matter of us debating facts.

You and plenty of others have made it clear that you care more about one white guy's reputation than the concerns and criticisms of minorities in the MTG community, especially if they speak out in a rude or uncivil way, so yeah I guess we're done here.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This discussion is going around in circles and I don't see it moving anywhere.

I want to give some money to a BLM charity right now, can people suggest some that would be good to donate to please?

ATL bail fund could use some dough.

https://atlsolidarity.org/

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 14, 2020

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

What belief of his changed?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

how many times do we have to go over the fact that he has platformed literally two black content creators over the last two weeks

Are we going to ignore everything else he has done? I didn't realize platforming creators was the only meaningful metric to measure ally-ness.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Abhorrence posted:

To be clear, could you please list the threshold of platforming black content creators to be a true ally, not just a performative one?

idk, showing any commitment towards doing it? not just tweeting one out once a week? like he literally recognized that he has done an absolutely abysmal job of doing so.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Reik posted:

Are we going to ignore everything else he has done? I didn't realize platforming creators was the only meaningful metric to measure ally-ness.

the whole thing is in reference to tcc criticizing wotc for being performative in their support of black magic players and artists and so on. talking about how he has tweeted out support for blm completely ignores the whole point.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

idk, showing any commitment towards doing it? not just tweeting one out once a week? like he literally recognized that he has done an absolutely abysmal job of doing so.

I see. Incidentally, what have YOU done to support POC content creators in the magic the gathering community?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

Apparently someone went after Tolarian Community College because he didn't put enough POC on his channel and he had a minor breakdown. Nothing like the left eating the left!

https://twitter.com/seanmccarthycom/status/1270397505839091714?s=21

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

I know we've had big flashy counterspells before, but this definitely seems like the best of them. Next closest would be Draining Whelk, probably? And even that isn't necessarily that much better than similar creature counterspells.

I don't think the format necessarily ends up supporting this, but it's a good card.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

flatluigi posted:

anyone who is legitimately on the fence on issues like "police brutality is bad" and "black people are systematically underrepresented and underconsidered" & would decide against it b/c someone was mean to them once wasn't actually an ally in the first place

Someone using their voice and personal brand to signal boost others and getting compared to loving segregationists isn't going to flip sides but they are likely to stop using their voice and platform to try and help. We're not talking "people were mean about (insert topic here) and were mean about it so now I am anti (insert topic here)" that is the idiot justification for abhorrent views online.

TCC got targeted because it did good, but not "good enough" by certain people's metrics. Had they done nothing it is doubtful they would've been targeted because it would be business as usual for a channel dedicated to a niche hobby, even if it would've been the classic "white moderate" written of in the Letters from a Birmingham Jail. This sort of behavior signals to other content creators that they should not use their platforms to help if they aren't perfect because they'll be attacked in the same way. And given Magic's history, very few content creators would be above such reproach.

So there's a decision, and a real one. TCC certainly lost some fans by being vocally pro BLM and anti cop. He's right to do so, and those fans were poo poo, but they were fans, and fans = money. But if he's also going to get poo poo (and yes, being compared to a segregationist is poo poo) on by people who agree with him for not doing enough?

TCC is a good person afaik, but someone who wasn't as good might think twice the next time they are inclined to signal boost. To weigh the lost fans, the lost revenue, the opening of doors to being attacked by the selfsame people you want to support. Against which is the default, the staying silent. The ability to respond with wishy washy corporate slogan tier support at best, or remain silent, and deflect concerns with some bullshit about not engaging in matters beyond the scope of channel.

The performative hysterics in this thread are really tiresome.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mat Cauthon posted:

You and plenty of others have made it clear that you care more about one guy's reputation than the concerns and criticisms of minorities in the community, especially if they speak out in a rude or uncivil way, so yeah I guess we're done here.

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo about his reputation and cares more about having 400 years of historical anger and tragedy being used to bludgeon you because you could maybe hit RT a little more on black Magic players. Literally everyone involved believes we should have more black voices involved in the community.

Anyway I'm going to take whatever leftover posting energy I have and throw it at a BLM charity too. I'll check this one out.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

the whole thing is in reference to tcc criticizing wotc for being performative in their support of black magic players and artists and so on. talking about how he has tweeted out support for blm completely ignores the whole point.

Seriously, look at his timeline. This isn't a case of him sending out a single tweet and calling it quits.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

That document posted:

This meme was made after an attempt at civil discourse was made and ignored. Subsequently, The Professor and I had a wonderful conversation about the matter and we’re on good terms.

If the two people involved talked it out and are chill then who cares?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

PJOmega posted:

Someone using their voice and personal brand to signal boost others and getting compared to loving segregationists isn't going to flip sides but they are likely to stop using their voice and platform to try and help. We're not talking "people were mean about (insert topic here) and were mean about it so now I am anti (insert topic here)" that is the idiot justification for abhorrent views online.

TCC got targeted because it did good, but not "good enough" by certain people's metrics. Had they done nothing it is doubtful they would've been targeted because it would be business as usual for a channel dedicated to a niche hobby, even if it would've been the classic "white moderate" written of in the Letters from a Birmingham Jail. This sort of behavior signals to other content creators that they should not use their platforms to help if they aren't perfect because they'll be attacked in the same way. And given Magic's history, very few content creators would be above such reproach.

So there's a decision, and a real one. TCC certainly lost some fans by being vocally pro BLM and anti cop. He's right to do so, and those fans were poo poo, but they were fans, and fans = money. But if he's also going to get poo poo (and yes, being compared to a segregationist is poo poo) on by people who agree with him for not doing enough?

TCC is a good person afaik, but someone who wasn't as good might think twice the next time they are inclined to signal boost. To weigh the lost fans, the lost revenue, the opening of doors to being attacked by the selfsame people you want to support. Against which is the default, the staying silent. The ability to respond with wishy washy corporate slogan tier support at best, or remain silent, and deflect concerns with some bullshit about not engaging in matters beyond the scope of channel.

The performative hysterics in this thread are really tiresome.

you posted a "funny tweet" making fun of autism a week ago, then only edited it out because someone else told you to

not sure you're get to be the voice of reason here

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Abhorrence posted:

I see. Incidentally, what have YOU done to support POC content creators in the magic the gathering community?

i have literally 3 twitter followers what do you want from me? i have no platform from which to support them. i can tell my friends to check out a stream, which i do, but i certainly cant signal boost someone. but to be clear, this is an incredibly lovely thing to ask someone in an argument. it is absolutely true that tcc could have done much more, he has said that publicly, and every single person in this thread should agree with him when it comes to that. please do not try to act like that is not the case.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Idk lol, but we gotta get mad and post about something.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

You and plenty of others have made it clear that you care more about one white guy's reputation than the concerns and criticisms of minorities in the MTG community, especially if they speak out in a rude or uncivil way, so yeah I guess we're done here.

Did so, thank you!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ilmucche posted:

If you're a decent person and being likened to segregationists you'll likely say or do anything to "be on good terms" with the person making that comparison because you are trying to understand why they would make that analogy. If you're being genuine and someone attacks you in such a manner it is going to hurt. And unless TCC pulls a milkshake duck, afaik he's been good for magic and more importantly good for the community. His existence as a comparative makes other content creators better by the simple fact he's producing content that is well made and free of freemagic poo poo.

Were he not being genuine and only paying lip service he could easily dismiss the segregation comparison. If he were an actually lovely person he could even engage in some performative outrage about it.

He didn't. Dude was legit hurt. I'm glad he was able to speak with the person who made the meme and come away from it feeling the matter is settled. Hopefully he's a decent enough person that it won't make him hesitate to be a vocal ally in the future. Time will tell.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

The Klowner posted:

I called it before but now I'm absolutely sure Phyrexia is the plane after Zendikar. Why the hell else would they reprint this?

cool

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

PJOmega posted:

If you're a decent person and being likened to segregationists you'll likely say or do anything to "be on good terms" with the person making that comparison because you are trying to understand why they would make that analogy. If you're being genuine and someone attacks you in such a manner it is going to hurt. And unless TCC pulls a milkshake duck, afaik he's been good for magic and more importantly good for the community. His existence as a comparative makes other content creators better by the simple fact he's producing content that is well made and free of freemagic poo poo.

Were he not being genuine and only paying lip service he could easily dismiss the segregation comparison. If he were an actually lovely person he could even engage in some performative outrage about it.

He didn't. Dude was legit hurt. I'm glad he was able to speak with the person who made the meme and come away from it feeling the matter is settled. Hopefully he's a decent enough person that it won't make him hesitate to be a vocal ally in the future. Time will tell.

You gotta hit your friends every once in a while to make sure they're actually your friends.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

If you're a decent person and being likened to segregationists

loving purity testing lmao

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

The Klowner posted:

This, Solemn Simulacrum, Ashiok's ties to Phyrexians. Lots of arrows pointing at Mirrodin/New Phyrexia in 2021.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Klowner posted:

I hope so, phyrexians are cool

Hopefully they don't poo poo the bed

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Klowner posted:

I think this means you can do turn 4 ugin in standard - goose, myr, nissa, ugin

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

you posted a "funny tweet" making fun of autism a week ago, then only edited it out because someone else told you to

This is lame whatabboutism Lone Goat.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

I realized when it was pointed out that it was insensitive and made assumptions that are or can be considered harmful. For what it is worth, I don't think that tweet is funny and have shared it with many people. Truth is the extended friends and acquaintance circle I've made through magic has a large amount of people on the autism spectrum who are having an exceptionally tough time during the pandemic due to disruption of schedules.

You are right that it was wrong of me to post it in regards to you, and I am sorry for having done so. Ignoring the autism focus of the original tweet, the message that you are valid still stands. I don't know why you felt the need to dig up and misrepresent a three year old comment, but the comment isn't important. You are valid.

For what it's worth I do think you getting probated for three days was silly, commenting on this thread is obviously important to you and I was more confused than anything as to why you dug up that old comment. Can we set aside whatever this is and move forward?

Slio
Jan 17, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

This is a crap point.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
ally warfield has gone 6-0 since starting the pt at 5-2 yesterday leggo

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Many magic the gathering players ask, do black lives matter?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Many magic the gathering players ask, do black lives matter?

Look at these new tokens from Wizards

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

https://twitter.com/ajlvi/status/1272221219031482368
This isn't really a Pro Tour since WotC felt the need to introduce the concept of "regional" tours but jfc Standard is so bad. Remember that Play Design tested this format with Oko and Once upon a Time still in it. What an absolute joke.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 14, 2020

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I hope the dude playing 3 fabled passage won

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Katana Gomai posted:

https://twitter.com/ajlvi/status/1272221219031482368
This isn't really a Pro Tour since WotC felt the need to introduce the concept of "regional" tours but jfc Standard is so bad. Remember that Play Design they tested this format with Oko and Once upon a Time still in it. What an absolute joke.

There was a top 8 that had 32/32 Jaces and Preordains. Was that a Grand Prix?

Edit: Apparently it was.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The colour combination UG has been banned from magic

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

90% of the problems with magic would be solved if the cowards at WotC would just ban islands like they've needed to since the mid-90's

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

90% of the problems with magic would be solved if the cowards at WotC would just ban islands like they've needed to since the mid-90's

They would then print super islands that gained 3 life when they etb.

I know it's talking about early design spoilers but the idea that the force-spike-that-ramps was ever even in the design files is a real wtf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they should have brought back flip cards for the zen3 lands instead of DFCs, it's not like zendikar ever gave a gently caress about gravity