Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Wow! And quote for top of the page!

lilljonas posted:

Ok so if there is something I do have right now it's spare time in the evenings or during exceptionally irrelevant yet mandatory online meetings. I assume some of you can relate.

What I don't have too much of is army storage.

With the steady influx in my apartment of online shopping boxes, especially cosmetics and other daily consumables. Yup, it's time to go hobbyist.

My first victim is a proof of concept. There were some mistakes made. Lessons learned.

I painted the box brown since the spare cloth I had was very transparent. I should have used something a tad sturdier. The cloth was affixed with a bad, glogged ip old glue stick that kind of left some ruined spots. Then it was affixed with a newer, much better glue stick. Again, lessons learned. The glue was by far not strong enough, so the fabric was then sewn in place. After some blood was smeared onto the bottom of the box, a thimble was located.

The inside I cared little of at first, as I'll put a second fabric inside the box.

The inside cloth ended up being far easier to fit, as where I just kind of improvised on the outside cover.

The inside fabrix was also thicker and generally nicer. Same procedure: gluestick, then needle and thread.

Look at that amazing needlework! In day 2 I went and bought some more colour matching thread, but it was too late for these stitches. I also ended up learning a bit about how to add eyelets. The box has no natural way to close completely shut, so I put in two eyelets and a bit of elastic cord that loops over the button.

Now, the box is going to be for my newly finished 33rd line infantry regiment. The whole idea of the linen cover was to make it look a bit like the cartouche boxes worn by napoleonic infantry, which was often covered with cloth during campaign with simple insignia on them. The marker and paint that I used bled a little bit, and the numbers were hard to make exactly straight. But at least now there's no confusion of what's inside!

The inside is not finished. I'm going to drill in magnets in the bases, and then fix washers to the bottom. That'll keep the miniatures in place. I also noticed that the eagly standard is like, 2mm too tall, and so I'll fix washers to a side as well so that the command stands can rest horisontally.

The box fits three battalions, so if I make another box I can fit the two remaining battalions of the regiments, and probably some regimental artillery and regimental command as well.

Overall it was a fun little distraction, and now I'm pretty stoked at the idea of making thematic boxes for other armies as well. Much more interesting than just letting them sit in unadorned shoeboxes or whatever. It took maybe two evenings of hobby time, and a lot of that time was to just learn what worked or didn't work, or to get more supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That's cool as Hell

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Thanks! Now I'm thinking if I should do something similar for my samurai army. :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

lilljonas posted:

Thanks! Now I'm thinking if I should do something similar for my samurai army. :)

Cross stitch a cherry tree onto the front fabric

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

NTRabbit posted:

Cross stitch a cherry tree onto the front fabric
Embroidery or GTFO. :colbert:

For a samurai army, the box almost needs to look like lacquer.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ilor posted:

For a samurai army, the box needs to look like lacquer.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok it's you guys fault I'm now looking into DIY wooden boxes and fake laquer

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey question for someone considering getting into ancient/medieval tabletop- how do you base things? I'm considering just getting foam core and cutting it up, but idk if that would produce precise enough bases

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

What kind of effect are you thinking with the foamcore?

The default would just be sand/grit and then tufts with grass.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly not really sure about aesthetics, just want something to put dudes on and move around

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Honestly not really sure about aesthetics, just want something to put dudes on and move around

Don’t use foamcore it will bend and gets damaged easily. Use plasticard (1.5mm or 2mm should work) if you want to make your own bases, or buy mdf or plastic bases.

Plasticard is easy to score with a steel ruler and a hobby knife and then ”break” pretty clean, i’ve done bases with it before.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 14, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Oh, are you asking literally what to glue the models to, not how to decorate them?

A lot of miniature sets will come with plastic bases. Otherwise, MDF bases are very cheap. You'll probably want to figure out what ruleset you're using before you base them so you know if they should go on round or square bases, and be based individually or in groups.

https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/bases

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm looking at ADLG which is standard DBA style basing with each group on a 40x20 (plus or minus) base

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Just order pre-cut MDF so.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

Hey question for someone considering getting into ancient/medieval tabletop- how do you base things?

It depends on which rules you're using. Personally I generally 28mm figures on 20mm square bases, which works with most rules.

Shogun Miniatures makes nice cheap magnetic bases which I can put on bigger steel bases (like, a group of 6 on a 60mm x 40mm base) for systems that use bigger bases.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

With a Big CoC battle coming up at the club, reinforcements were needed. So I took all unpainted Germans I could find, mostly Black Tree and Warlord, and "DAKified" them. Now we're getting perilously close to a full company. It might even be one, as long as we don't field all sections with double LMGs (as that requires at least 18 teams).

Playing with several platoons will require more Deployment Points. I wanted to make two more sets of Deployment Points that were easy to tell apart from our old ones. So Allied supply dumps and some... unfortunate German water carriers were quickly painted up as well.

More pics on the blog:
https://krigetkommer.weebly.com/mediterranean-theater/more-deployment-points-and-more-dak-infantry-warlord-black-tree

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Wonderful as always fam.

Now I need help with decorating the washer bases for 15mm dudes individually mounted on washers. I have no idea what do.

On a different subject, I did a brainworm last week:

Some Mouthbreathing Goon posted:

Hello!

This isn't a very serious question, but still.

In AK-47 Republic, a single tank represents 3, right?

So I wonder what miniature to people ratio is for other units, just in case I ever got to playing AK-47 - I really have a weird thing for 1:1 representation.

Martin Goddard posted:

Good question.
There is an old edition and a new”reloaded” edition.

Vehicles yes 1 model = 3 real ones.
Infantry. 3 bases = 3x3=9 model figures = 27 men. Thus 1 model figure = 3 real men

hope that helps

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
hm, yes, clearly 3mm is the correct scale for ak-47 republic as well.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

hm, yes, clearly 3mm is the correct scale for ak-47 republic as well.

Wouldn't look flashy enough!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

JcDent posted:

Wouldn't look flashy enough!
every stand has a really big flag

a heroic scale flag, possibly a repurposed postage stamp many times the size of the figures on the base

tanks get their own pennants

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As said, I'm a completely new collector, and I was offered the following used soviets, will someone be kind and do an estimate on the suggested price?

59 infantry:
6 guys+ lmg.
Lieutenant + medic.
2 with binocs.
12 guys with broken weapons or lacking arms (to which he's throwing in a new weapons sprue)
8 man engineer squad.
bunch of partisans
Medium mortar
Kv2, t34-74, BT 7, Su76, and t34-85

For which he wants 900 DKK, the equivalent of 136 USD or 121 euro.

Is that fair? I can't really tell.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cessna posted:

It depends on which rules you're using. Personally I generally 28mm figures on 20mm square bases, which works with most rules.

Shogun Miniatures makes nice cheap magnetic bases which I can put on bigger steel bases (like, a group of 6 on a 60mm x 40mm base) for systems that use bigger bases.

I'll second using metal bases. You line your carrying box with magnetic sign material - easy to cut to shape - and your figures won't slide around.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Tias posted:

I'd say so. That's about ballpark for a warlord starter army, which comes with substantially less.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah just buying the tanks new would get pretty close to that, so I'd say it's a pretty fair price.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You guys are amazing, thanks!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Tias posted:

As said, I'm a completely new collector, and I was offered the following used soviets, will someone be kind and do an estimate on the suggested price?

59 infantry:
6 guys+ lmg.
Lieutenant + medic.
2 with binocs.
12 guys with broken weapons or lacking arms (to which he's throwing in a new weapons sprue)
8 man engineer squad.
bunch of partisans
Medium mortar

Assuming these are Warlord models the retail price of just the tanks from their website is about 130 USD without shipping, so that seems like a really fair price.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Tias posted:

59 infantry:
6 guys+ lmg.
Lieutenant + medic.
2 with binocs.
8 man engineer squad.
bunch of partisans
Medium mortar

That's a very good deal for essentially everything you need to field a variety of armies. The tanks alone would cost more than that new unless you were buying 3D printed ones on eBay.

Only things you'd maybe want to add would be a truck and/or ZiS-3, but you can get on just fine without either if you want.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

It's also worth the money for not having to assemble Warlord's hands-and-weapons-sepaeate nonsense.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

It's also worth the money for not having to assemble Warlord's hands-and-weapons-sepaeate nonsense.

Yeah, assembling my Russian infantry was an awful experience.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

What do you guys use for 28mm ECW clubmen/irregular?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Signal posted:

What do you guys use for 28mm ECW clubmen/irregular?

Civilians from perry and warlord mainly.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Things I've learnt through building and painting historical miniatures:

The KV-1 was a monster.

I always knew it was big compared to German tanks of 1941, but I didn't realise just how enormous it is until I put one together. :eyepop:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Compared to the Panzer IV it's not quite so drastic, but it's not exactly like they stayed classed as "heavy" for very long so.. yeah.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Cross-posting from the Oath thread!

I finished up an 8-man group of mounted ACW Confederate cavalry (along with an officer, musician, and standard bearer), a matching 6-man group of dismounted cavalry, and a horse-holder marker to show their mount/dismount position on the board. These are intended for use in Sharp Practice 2.

The whole crew:

A close-up of the horse holders. If/when the mounted troops dismount to fight on foot (as they usually did), this little vignette is used to mark the spot where they can remount:

A close-up of the command group (officer, standard bearer, musician). I haven't decided whether I want to do these guys as a particular regiment or just use a more generic flag, so no banner yet:

These are the completed mounted/dismounted versions of these guys. I started by finding matching weapons, then painted the pairs identically (boots, pants, coats, hats, even hair and beards). Confederates are always a pain to paint because getting them to look properly rag-tag involves lots of different paint colors and makes batch painting largely pointless. In the game for which these minis are intended, a base group of mounted infantry is 8 troopers, but when they dismount you lose two of them for horse-holders (see above). That's why there are only 6 little dudes on foot.

A close-up of one of the pairs:

Another pair:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

JcDent posted:

Now I need help with decorating the washer bases for 15mm dudes individually mounted on washers. I have no idea what do.
See my previous post. These are just dudes on #8 washers. I used a little bit of acrylic modeling paste to bulk up the bases and make the little square ones the minis are standing on less obvious. Then just paint OD green and flock. Super easy. If you want to get creative, you can take some clump foliage, tear it into teeny bits, and glue those to the base to look like little bushes or low ground cover. I'll probably add some to my horse-holder stand above just to give it a little more visual interest.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ilor posted:

See my previous post. These are just dudes on #8 washers. I used a little bit of acrylic modeling paste to bulk up the bases and make the little square ones the minis are standing on less obvious. Then just paint OD green and flock. Super easy. If you want to get creative, you can take some clump foliage, tear it into teeny bits, and glue those to the base to look like little bushes or low ground cover. I'll probably add some to my horse-holder stand above just to give it a little more visual interest.

I did consider loving up some clump foliage, thanks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

JcDent posted:

I did consider loving up some clump foliage, thanks.

Getting some small tufts goes a long way. My basing method right now is just to smear some spackle paste on, brush it with some different browns, put tufts on and then sprinkle on some static grass. For smaller scales, just use smaller tufts:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, Rubicon Models just announced a 28mm Vietnam War range (including plastic infantry!). Are there any particularly good rulesets for the era & scale? I know about Charlie Don't Surf from TFL, but are there any others?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There's a Force on Force book covering Vietnam, which could look really nice in 28mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, Rubicon Models just announced a 28mm Vietnam War range (including plastic infantry!). Are there any particularly good rulesets for the era & scale? I know about Charlie Don't Surf from TFL, but are there any others?

If you like Chain of Command there is a free Vietnam supplement called "DMZ." (Second Tour is v. 2.0 of this.) It is very good, and CoC works great for skirmishes with 28mm models.

Link.