Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

nevermind

Basticle fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Old swampland sinks like a motherfucker for a longass time as organic matter that accumulated underwater for centuries decays under the new ærobic conditions.

Parts of the Netherlands that were drained a thousand years ago are dropping by almost a centimetre per year today, though to be fair that’s possible only because water table was so high that decay was almost suspended for most of those centuries.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

My YouTube suggestions have sent me down an old British Transport Films rabbit hole, came across this wonderful retro pre-HSE (UK OSHA) video on how they started adding Overhead Lines to our railways. I've linked to a bit on them putting the gantries in, completely with a worker just climbing up and walking over the beams without any safety equipment at all :britain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNQ2jPaaDDY&t=735s
Also I noticed how you weren't dressed for the job without a cigarette

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 14, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dysgenesis posted:

Or merge into a single, larger battery that fits nothing.
C batteries. The only place I've ever seen them used is in '80s-90s era portable stereos, and strangely never in anything that wasn't large enough to have fit Ds instead.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

wolrah posted:

C batteries. The only place I've ever seen them used is in '80s-90s era portable stereos, and strangely never in anything that wasn't large enough to have fit Ds instead.

C batteries are for sex toys yo

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

wolrah posted:

My cat’s feeder uses C batteries, but it’s a pain in the rear end. I’m gonna solder in a power jack and get rid of the drat things altogether.

Autocorrect really wanted “rear end” to be “AAs.”

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My cat’s feeder uses C batteries, but it’s a pain in the rear end. I’m gonna solder in a power jack and get rid of the drat things altogether.

Autocorrect really wanted “rear end” to be “AAs.”

Poor autocorrect, desperately trying to make you presentable.

Goodpancakes posted:

Guess depending on context you might need the C or the D.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
cross-posting this crazy poo poo from the AI Horrible Mechanical Failures thread:

https://i.imgur.com/6os8oSe.mp4

that thing flying through the air is a tanker :aaa: story here:
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/massive-tanker-explosion-injures-more-than-100-in-china-20200614-p552ds.html

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

snugglz posted:

cross-posting this crazy poo poo from the AI Horrible Mechanical Failures thread:

https://i.imgur.com/6os8oSe.mp4

that thing flying through the air is a tanker :aaa: story here:
https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/massive-tanker-explosion-injures-more-than-100-in-china-20200614-p552ds.html

New Just Cause looking good

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Xakura posted:

New Just Cause looking good

Just out of frame a guy grapples onto it and rides it to the next island.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

wolrah posted:

I was literally thinking of C batteries when I posted. I dont think I have ever bought one but somehow they turn up in the drawer.

Goodpancakes posted:

Orly? I shall ask el wife-o.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZjCOAnmUaQ

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
the original Mag-Lite (not the mini AA one, not the extended D one for cops to beat people with) used C batteries.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Farming sim 2020 update is channeling real world energy hard.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

My first use of c-cell batteries in maybe a decade came last week because Sloan no-touch automatic flush valve retro-kits use them. I hate these things, but no-touch fixtures are gonna be going in all over the place now thanks to the corona.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

the original Mag-Lite (not the mini AA one, not the extended D one for cops to beat people with) used C batteries.

I have a C-cell powered Mag-Lite that I'm quite sure I could beat people with.

I've owned since the late 1990s or so.

It's a snazzy metallic green.

Of disappearing battery types I'd say 9v used to be super common but now I rarely see it except in smoke detectors, and even those seem to have largely abandoned it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Who would of guessed standardisation of parts for manufacturer and consumer convenience leads to parts being the same.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Of disappearing battery types I'd say 9v used to be super common but now I rarely see it except in smoke detectors, and even those seem to have largely abandoned it.

9 volt batteries are very large with not very much capacity, so they're avoided whenever possible for most designs. These days the higher voltage isn't required often, especially now that dc/dc power supply circuits are so good

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'd say the rarest battery type that used to be super common are those giant 9v lantern batteries.

Kinda miss those monsters

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The real hipster battery is A, I don't think those were ever sold as OTC alkalines

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have a big ol' purple one that I've upgraded with a LED and is bright as hell now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

haveblue posted:

The real hipster battery is A, I don't think those were ever sold as OTC alkalines

only time i ever saw one of those was in some ancient portable radio in the shop i worked at in high school, it was this bigass dry cell thing that looked more like a car battery or one of those gigantic square lead acid batteries that home security alarms used to use than something you'd put in a modern or semi-modern device

no idea if it was an actual "A" battery or just what it was labeled from back in the bad old days when replacement batteries were something that had to be ordered out of a catalog and that was just how they described it

ili
Jul 26, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I'd say the rarest battery type that used to be super common are those giant 9v lantern batteries.

Strange, those are 6v here. We took some apart in primary school as a science lesson, they were 4 x 1.5v cells in a case.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

FCKGW posted:

omg, my grandparents had a few of these batteries. probably to power old people dildoes.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Azathoth posted:

only time i ever saw one of those was in some ancient portable radio in the shop i worked at in high school, it was this bigass dry cell thing that looked more like a car battery or one of those gigantic square lead acid batteries that home security alarms used to use than something you'd put in a modern or semi-modern device

no idea if it was an actual "A" battery or just what it was labeled from back in the bad old days when replacement batteries were something that had to be ordered out of a catalog and that was just how they described it

Huh, I'll be damned. There was a rectangular format bigass A Battery for use in one vacuum tube radios. There's also a rare A cell that is cylindrical and larger in size than AA. Here's some info

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Azathoth posted:

That's another naming scheme specific to vacuum tubes.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

ili posted:

Strange, those are 6v here. We took some apart in primary school as a science lesson, they were 4 x 1.5v cells in a case.

I remember being surprised that the cells inside were actual retail batteries, complete with standard printing and all the 6v case was essentially a disposable holder: that was far harder to find in shops than the 1.5v batteries.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Splode posted:

9 volt batteries are very large with not very much capacity, so they're avoided whenever possible for most designs. These days the higher voltage isn't required often, especially now that dc/dc power supply circuits are so good

9v batteries are still used by a good deal of guitar effects manufacturers probably just from inertia and if they tried to change it there'd be guys complaining they don't sound the same.
Fortunately most manufacturers also include a power connector for hooking up a 9v adaptor.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

starkebn fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 15, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have to assume the music industry is using it as an excuse to sell a nickel cost wall wart for $10. Otherwise I don't know who would be running their Casio keyboard with batteries outside of a power outage but they should be sent to jail.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Lurking Haro posted:

That's another naming scheme specific to vacuum tubes.

lol now i really wanna know how old that radio was

thing was ancient back in the 90s...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

IT means your blinker fluid is low.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

haveblue posted:

*snort* yeah, I guess you could call that a rare battery. I'm personally really into B cells these days. They're pretty obscure

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/9G6L0a7.mp4

https://wyo4news.com/news/train-fire-near-airport/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

HARDCORE

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

:piss:

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

I drive a semi truck across I-80 in Wyoming every week and missed seeing this by like an hour.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Had to reevaluate the scale of that fire a couple of times in that vid, holy poo poo

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Moo the cow posted:

I remember being surprised that the cells inside were actual retail batteries, complete with standard printing and all the 6v case was essentially a disposable holder: that was far harder to find in shops than the 1.5v batteries.

Fair dinks, that's surprising. As I recall these were just c or d sized cells in plain cardboard or somesuch, but it was thirty something years ago so might be wrong. Those 6v torches are still popular enough with boaties too, they come with an led bulb now but aside from that are pretty much unchanged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

It means Ken Miles is nearby