Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It was pretty good! Just a GTA clone set in the 40s, but the missions tied in to the movies in fun ways, and there was a well-executed "family hierarchy" system where you could recruit and promote capos and stuff as you built up your family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it was surprisingly decent and Marlon Brando's last acting job before he died. Though most of the stuff he recorded for it couldn't be used as he sounded so ill. :(

If it makes you feel better, I just watched the documentary about the troubled production of Island of Doctor Moreau, and believe it’s entirely possible they couldn’t use most of the audio because he was actively loving with them since he didn’t take it seriously.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

I still want to play Ghost of Tsushima.

Also, what is the last Sony game that is going to be released before they switch to PS5? Nothing is on my radar after Ghost of Tsushima.

Depends on what you mean. Sony-published exclusives? It wouldn't surprise me if Tsushima was "it", there's nothing else formally announced for PS4 from Sony at this point, I don't think. For history, once the PS4 was out in 2013, Sony put out two "Wonderbook" titles (those interactive things that used Playstation Move) as well as Gran Turismo 6 a month later. After that it was exclusively MLB The Show titles, and even those I think were essentially "legacy" releases almost immediately, I know all the attention from MLB The Show 14 involved the crazy crowd stuff they could do.

There were a handful of games after that from various publishers that were released on PS3 first and got a PS4 version some time later (e.g. Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster). Drakengard 3 and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax also came out after the PS4 did and have no PS4 version. The last "proper" game (not Just Dance or soccer) released on PS3 was Persona 5, although that had a same-day PS4 version as well.

They may well implement a different strategy depending on PS5 adoption rates, and also since all PS4 games going forward will also run on PS5 there could definitely be companies that just decide to make a PS4 game (not everything needs the super-beefiness of the PS5). Japan put out PS3 versions of games much longer than the West did, like they got PS3 versions of Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami and various other titles fairly late because the PS4 took a while to get a decent install base going. It's possible that'll happen this time too, with Japan outputting PS4 titles for longer than Western publishers, but then again in Japan the priority is Switch titles, I'm pretty sure it's now outsold the PS4 in Japan.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Man, TLOU2 is sitting at a 96 on Metacritic. I was under the impression that it was getting heavily trashed. Too bad my TV died last week! At least now it won't be such a huge roll of the dice if I buy a new TV just to play this game. (I mean, I'll use the TV for other things surely, but ya know)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Video for my fellow PSPoor-users: TLoU 2 runs about equally well on both the Pro and the base model. Minor dips in the parts with lots of water, and also in some sections they can't talk about or show yet, presumably when the game tries to model the fluid dynamics of a giant pile of dead dogs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Video for my fellow PSPoor-users: TLoU 2 runs about equally well on both the Pro and the base model. Minor dips in the parts with lots of water, and also in some sections they can't talk about or show yet, presumably when the game tries to model the fluid dynamics of a giant pile of dead dogs.

To clarify since you don't specify, it's actually the Pro which has slight dips. The base PS4 apparently holds a locked 1080p30 without dips. On the PS4 Pro it's 1440p and almost always 30fps, but in certain areas like watery ones, the frame rate can drop to 28-29 fps briefly, basically a micro-stutter. Note that you can't force the Pro to run the game at 1080p; if you set your console to 1080p it just downscales the 1440p to 1080p and you still get the slight framerate hitching.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

enojy posted:

Man, TLOU2 is sitting at a 96 on Metacritic. I was under the impression that it was getting heavily trashed. Too bad my TV died last week! At least now it won't be such a huge roll of the dice if I buy a new TV just to play this game. (I mean, I'll use the TV for other things surely, but ya know)

The problem with this is that it relies solely on scored reviews. There is plenty of critical reviews that don't boil down the review to a number and so by using Metacritic you are getting a very sanitised opinion of the game.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Quantum Shart posted:

The problem with this is that it relies solely on scored reviews. There is plenty of critical reviews that don't boil down the review to a number and so by using Metacritic you are getting a very sanitised opinion of the game.

I wouldn't say it's sanitized, I'd say it was just reviews that provide a numerical score.

Of note, female reviewers seem to be more critical of the game.

I don't care, day one purchase for me, but interesting to note.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Did you guys lie about a ghosts of whatever thread or am I blind

Because as far as I can tell that's the only Sony exclusive coming out soon that's worth discussing :smug:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

Did you guys lie about a ghosts of whatever thread or am I blind

Because as far as I can tell that's the only Sony exclusive coming out soon that's worth discussing :smug:

Put your little hand in mine and I will guide you to safety

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3927206

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

bloodysabbath posted:

This man is often held up as one of the industry’s best fuckin lol

He's literally reporting what the devs told him

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ShakeZula posted:

It was pretty good! Just a GTA clone set in the 40s, but the missions tied in to the movies in fun ways, and there was a well-executed "family hierarchy" system where you could recruit and promote capos and stuff as you built up your family.

They made a sequel set in the late 50s/early 60s that's supposed to be pretty good too but I never played it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Vikar Jerome posted:

doesnt even make sense with everything else you hear about tlou2. just tells me that dude didnt even watch schindlers list. its uplifting and not a constant downer. edit: (in that a guy risks it all to save people and does, before anyone takes that outta context)

I find it really curious that you're claiming to have a more informed opinion about TLOU2 here than someone who, you know, has actually played it.

I was really exhausted by the trailers and interviews for Part II but people are being ridiculous right now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

bloodysabbath posted:

This man is often held up as one of the industry’s best fuckin lol

il serpente cosmico posted:

He's literally reporting what the devs told him

True, but aside from that, I think any respect anyone might've had for Schrier went out the window when he went to work for Bloomberg.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Neo Rasa posted:

They made a sequel set in the late 50s/early 60s that's supposed to be pretty good too but I never played it.

I feel like I would almost certainly have played the sequel too, but I don't have any memory of it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Arist posted:

I find it really curious that you're claiming to have a more informed opinion about TLOU2 here than someone who, you know, has actually played it.

I was really exhausted by the trailers and interviews for Part II but people are being ridiculous right now.

I have a more informed opinion on schindlers list having seen it than the dude who clearly hasnt seen it but i have been avoiding reading any reviews and its hard to miss the twitter comedy and i am assuming his comparasion is that of someone who assumes schindlers list is son of saul even more based on how "tough and heavy" tlou2 may be.

But as we already discussed, its more director/importantwork type stuff maybe?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

True, but aside from that, I think any respect anyone might've had for Schrier went out the window when he went to work for Bloomberg.

"ah yes I guess he was making a joke and that was taking him out of context, but nonetheless--"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bloomberg is a lovely publication for sure but considering the economy is apocalyptic, there are literally eight outlets that even do game industry news, and Kotaku was even worse, I'll give him a pass until we get a sense of his new work.

Meanwhile industry hell continues

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1272314807853682689

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bloomberg is a lovely publication for sure but considering the economy is apocalyptic, there are literally eight outlets that even do game industry news, and Kotaku was even worse, I'll give him a pass until we get a sense of his new work.

For someone who's highly praised for the work he does, I'd have thought he'd shoot for something a little higher. Still you make a fair point; sometimes you just have to take what you can get.

-

Switching gears, has there been any talk about PS4 compatibility on PS5? I think one of the things people were most excited for was to being able to replay Bloodborne with shorter load times.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah a couple days ago the Sony CEO re-confirmed in an interview with CNet they're working on PS4 BC for the PS5, but there's over 4000 games they have to clear so they're making slow, steady progress

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Meanwhile industry hell continues

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1272314807853682689

i for sure had been really concerned but he doesn't seem to have had a leash put on him or anything

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Switching gears, has there been any talk about PS4 compatibility on PS5? I think one of the things people were most excited for was to being able to replay Bloodborne with shorter load times.

What we know:

The latest PS4 devkits explicitly verify for PS5 compatibility.
All games submitted for certification (not updates to existing titles or DLC, just unreleased base games) after July 13th are required to be PS5-compatible. Stuff from before then is "strongly encouraged" to be PS5 compatible.
Sony specifically confirmed their top 100 played games were working well on PS5, and that they were confident the vast majority of titles would ultimately work on PS5.
The Last of Us Part II and Ghost of Tsushima have been independently confirmed as games that would work on PS5.

Educated (and not-so-educated) guesses:

Unless something goes really wrong or Sony is lying through their teeth, I think incompatible games will be rare and most likely old and obscure titles. I'd be surprised if anything that was officially released on disc didn't work, honestly.
It is possible that this will be a work in progress post-launch, it could launch with more limited compatibility that is corrected later, or some games might need their publishers to push an update.
While PS5 games won't run from traditional external hard drives, PS4 games will probably work fine on them like they do on the PS4 now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not talking about no win scenarios for story reasons. I'm talking about when a game lets the player dig themselves into a hole that forces them to reload the entire level or whatever because it's physically impossible to proceed.

Ohhhhh, now I get what you're talking about. That seems to happen most often with Diablo-like games (I genuinely don't know what to call that genre) I think Path of Exile is the example that comes up a lot in in the PYF annoying things in games thread. Or maybe it was Grim Dawn? A game that asks you to put points into skills but don't really balance it too well like those or Deus Ex Human Evolution.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my impression about last of us part 2 is that people are generally enjoying it a lot and that's why its getting high scores, I haven't played it yet though. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that there are a huge amount of negative opinions, I guess twitter really skews towards hot takes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sony your the build quality of your controllers loving sucks!!!!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Sony your the build quality of your controllers loving sucks!!!!

I still have and use my original one; the battery definitely dies over time, and the thumbstick covers are getting a little worn, but it doesn't have any dead zone to speak of

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vikar Jerome posted:

"There hasn’t been a ‘The Godfather’ of video games yet, where you fall totally in love with the characters, where you laugh, cry, and care. But I could have done that."
— Jack Black, on the game design career he would’ve had if he wasn’t acting.

Jack Black needs to play Yakuza 0, it would seem.

Yakuza 0 is The Godfather of video games, add me to the tumblr.

yeah but is yakuza even really a crime series. i mean it is. but not in the GTA/mafia/saints row/etc sense. its more like if DBZ was an even bigger soap opera and was always about complex financial/real estate deals and all the criminals are either super chill and well meaning/goofy or total psycho/sociopaths. gently caress i love that series.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but is yakuza even really a crime series. i mean it is. but not in the GTA/mafia/saints row/etc sense. its more like if DBZ was an even bigger soap opera and was always about complex financial/real estate deals and all the criminals are either super chill and well meaning/goofy or total psycho/sociopaths. gently caress i love that series.

yakuza is more of a crime series than saint's row

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Honestly I think gameplaywise Last Of Us 2 is going to be good, it's more, more advanced Last of Us gameplay and that's always good in my book given the amount I've played the first game and multiplayer.

But for me the main selling point was the story so I am a bit worried, as much as I've tried to avoid game reviews before I play it the headlines that keep popping up seem to either say "It's rough but great" or "you will be rolling your eyes at the level of grim dark ridiculous this one has".

The dev interviews are a bit troubling too, I really am getting the vibe that the central thesis of the game is going to be the old "revenge is a double edged sword" which is a really dumb story to try to tell in an action game because it's always going to grate against the gameplay.

Naughty Dog seem especially bad at doing this, I think they've referenced the fact that Nathan Drake sure kills a lot of people exactly once and it was by the series most comic book villain while he was doing his "you and I are two sides of the same coin don't you know" monologue. That's fine though, those games are very much "It's an adventure! Don't overthink it!" but with Last of Us 2 it does seem like the fact that Ellie is killing a lot of people is the key to the whole story.

My main concern is I am going to control Ellie massacring her way across America without missing a beat and then end up with a cutscene where her hand shakes and she has to hold it till it stops followed by more fun gameplay involving a lot of killing, followed by another cutscene where she feels sad for a minute and then the game ends with Joel dying because he suffocates under the pile of dead dogs I made, thus completing the game lesson that maybe, just maybe, murder is bad and has consequences.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is Yakuza really a crime series? You know, putting aside all the criminals and the crimes that they do

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mass effect needed more choices and more characters to make choices about, there should have been way more "pick who dies" moments or similar

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I still have and use my original one; the battery definitely dies over time, and the thumbstick covers are getting a little worn, but it doesn't have any dead zone to speak of

I'm sitting here with 3 controllers contemplating which one will handicap me the least. Triggers not registering to 100% and stick drift are the big offenders.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arist posted:

it seems to me the opinions are either "its pretentious bullshit thats uber violent and has one theme that it over kills and it makes you misrable the entire time and its overated" or "its amazing and makes me feel things and its the dark depressing blood meridian/Come and See that video games needed. I am "saving" money for ghosts and some ps4 ports and other stuff. so yeah i'll wait for more nuanced takes from people i like. i was mixed on the first one and all the leaks didnt really ruin anything(i only remember 3 things and two of them i called the second the game was announced) but they have made me curious about the game enough to pick it up sometime.

Brother Entropy posted:

yakuza is more of a crime series than saint's row

true. but really most of the gta "clones" arnt even clones. mafia series has always been a more linear experience with stronger more serious story,, saints row has been weird juvinial humor mixed with weird dark poo poo/pathos since 2. and yakuza isnt even really about commuting crimes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way through Doom Eternal and I am enjoying it more than Doom 2016. The added movement mechanics and new abilities make the fights a lot less frustrating. I also have basically all of the weapons which I don't think was the case with 2016 this far into the game. The boss fights are also improved. My least favorite thing about Doom 2016 were the Cyberdemon and final boss fights. They had certain gimmicks which made them annoying to me. The dash ability makes it a lot easier to maneuver around the battle arenas and escape if you manage to get cornered.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I'm sitting here with 3 controllers contemplating which one will handicap me the least. Triggers not registering to 100% and stick drift are the big offenders.

drat that does suck. No third party ones right (are there third party controllers?)?

e see how many games you can control with the ps move or whatever it was called

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Is Yakuza really a crime series? You know, putting aside all the criminals and the crimes that they do

i guess i mean in the "Western" crime game sense. like i can't just go kick a womens head or rob a store for fun in yakuza, yeah its a crime series but its a different type. which i like.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

drat that does suck. No third party ones right (are there third party controllers?)?

e see how many games you can control with the ps move or whatever it was called

Yeah all official, one barely a year old. I'm guessing I'm unlucky, but enough people bring up the same issues that I don't think it's that unlikely.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yakuza isn't a crime game because beating up dudes doesn't count as crime. Kiryu has had a clean police record ever since he finished his time for that one murder (which he didn't commit).

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Kazuma Kiryu's only crime was an occupational safety violation for making a chicken his real estate manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Kazuma Kiryu's only crime was an occupational safety violation for making a chicken his real estate manager
Having animals as employees (even board members) clearly isn't illegal in the Yakuza world because it happens again in 7.

Edit: seeing your animal board members trying to calm down angry shareholders is part of Yakuza history and video game history in general that I don't think I'll ever forget.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 15, 2020