Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ashcans posted:

I guess now that I'm resigned to collecting Sororitas, is there any indication or reason to think they'll get a Start Collecting box sometime? It seems like it would be likely given their co-star role in the 9e trailer, but with GW who knows.

I have some of the older models, how badly do they clash with the new range in terms of size?

I'm sure one's coming. Unfortunately you kinda missed the boat on the LE box they did for the launch, but I suspect they might use some of the contents for a future Start Collecting box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
I would be shocked if Sisters wasn't one of the Christmas Battleforces, too

HorseBag
Oct 2, 2011

ffoecaf posted:

All of the flesh colors are good, and Snakebite leather are amazing for belts and pouches and the like. Skeleton horde for bone details.

Seconding Skeleton Horde for bones and horns, made doing Tzaangors way easier. I did Space Wolves Grey for their flesh and after 2 coats I think it turned out pretty good as well.

edit: whoops forgot to thumbnail

HorseBag fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 14, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Don't forget that not all contrast paints are created equal. There are some that are hot garbage and some that have no right to be as amazing as they are. My top 5 are Guilliman Flesh, Talasar Blue, Gryphcharger Grey, Basilicanum Grey, and Black Templar. They're that good poo poo.

Gotta disagree with any list of best contrast paints that doesn't include Apothecary White

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HorseBag posted:

Seconding Skeleton Horde for bones and horns, made doing Tzaangors way easier. I did Space Wolves Grey for their flesh and after 2 coats I think it turned out pretty good as well.

That's top notch

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020
Wanted to ask if anyone had a good video for showing how an experienced painter 'picks out the details' - it's a phrase I see a lot, but on models like admech (which I just had a frustrating experience with), there are so many tiny little surface rivets and edges that when I tried to highlight the bits or edges to make them standout, it just made the models a mess because I either couldn't be precise enough or something was off with how I loaded paint on the brush. Someone in the painting thread gave me a method for using drybrushing/pin washing to get around that, but since I am mostly in this for hobby/narrative play, and at some point I am going to paint up something over-detailed and the games workshop videos aren't as useful as I'd hoped.

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

ffoecaf posted:

All of the flesh colors are good, and Snakebite leather are amazing for belts and pouches and the like. Skeleton horde for bone details.

Just make sure you shake snakebite like crazy. Learn from my mistakes.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Kitchner posted:

Gotta disagree with any list of best contrast paints that doesn't include Apothecary White

That and Nazdreg Yellow. They are perhaps not as easy to use as other Contrast paints, but compared what it takes to get those colours to work with traditional paints, they're the best justification for the Contrast line.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Kitchner posted:

I've never used apothecary white before because the only reason I would is shading white and my current method of 3:1 medium:fenrisian grey accomplishes the same job but better. I've seen the results and they're definitely pretty drat good.

HorseBag
Oct 2, 2011

Pakxos posted:

Wanted to ask if anyone had a good video for showing how an experienced painter 'picks out the details' - it's a phrase I see a lot, but on models like admech (which I just had a frustrating experience with), there are so many tiny little surface rivets and edges that when I tried to highlight the bits or edges to make them standout, it just made the models a mess because I either couldn't be precise enough or something was off with how I loaded paint on the brush. Someone in the painting thread gave me a method for using drybrushing/pin washing to get around that, but since I am mostly in this for hobby/narrative play, and at some point I am going to paint up something over-detailed and the games workshop videos aren't as useful as I'd hoped.

I think this is a pretty decent video to show the general edge highlighting techniques (and also just some general easy techniques): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ueRyKXv3o&t=718s

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Maneck posted:

That and Nazdreg Yellow. They are perhaps not as easy to use as other Contrast paints, but compared what it takes to get those colours to work with traditional paints, they're the best justification for the Contrast line.

gently caress, I forgot nazdreg. I'm never going back to using gold paint ever again. It's all nazdreg over silver for this nerd.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I really prefer Wyldwood for leather over Snakebite. It’s a darker brown, and looks more believable as a pouch or something on an Astartes utility belt, at least to me. Snakebite is very yellow.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up some immortals!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

gently caress, I forgot nazdreg. I'm never going back to using gold paint ever again. It's all nazdreg over silver for this nerd.

Do you have any pics of this? I really like using Retributor Armour the old fashioned way, but would be curious to see your results.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ashcans posted:

I guess now that I'm resigned to collecting Sororitas, is there any indication or reason to think they'll get a Start Collecting box sometime? It seems like it would be likely given their co-star role in the 9e trailer, but with GW who knows.

I have some of the older models, how badly do they clash with the new range in terms of size?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sure one's coming. Unfortunately you kinda missed the boat on the LE box they did for the launch, but I suspect they might use some of the contents for a future Start Collecting box.

I'm almost certain that the exact contents of the Sisters LE box will be the contents of the Start Collecting! Adepta Sororitas box, minus the limited edition codex and dice and cards and things. Reasoning:

The Sisters of Battle LE box had four sprues in it:

-1 full sprue containing one Penitent Engine, one Seraphim Superior, one Repentia Superior, one Arco-Flagellant, one Sister Superior, one Battle Sister with Simulacrum Imperialis, one Battle Sister with Storm Bolter, and one Battle Sister with... I think it's a regular flamer?

-Two copies of a half-sprue containing, collectively, four Seraphim, four Repentia, two Arco-Flagellants, and six Sisters of Battle, all in duplicate pairs with extra heads so they're not complete duplicates.

-One eighth-sprue with a Canoness.

For a total of two and an eighth full sprues worth of plastic. You'll note those one full and two half-sprues can't really be broken up and sold without each other, because with the exception of the Penitent Engine, none of them have a full unit of models individually. You need all three for a full unit of Seraphim, a full unit of Repentia, a full unit of Arco-Flagellants, or a full unit of Battle Sisters. They could have done two full sprues instead and avoided doubled poses, but this way they only had to make a full and a half mold instead of two full molds, and then use the half-mold twice as often. Molds are by far the most expensive part of their manufacturing process and this saves on manufacturing cost.

Compare to Shadowspear. Shadowspear introduced Vanguard Space Marines and the refreshed Chaos Space Marine line.

-The Chaos Space Marine half of Shadowspear had two full sprues of Chaos Space Marines plus the Master of Possession on a one-eighth sprue. This whole thing became Start Collecting Chaos Space Marines. I want to note here that there were no HQ units on the two full sprues; the Master of Possession was the only CSM HQ in the box.

-The Vanguard Space Marines half of Shadowspear had one full and two half-sprues of Vanguard Marines (it pulls the same tricks as the SoB box in putting the unique characters on the big one and doubling up poses on the duplicates for the dudes with identical gear) plus two eighth-sprues with the Vanguard Librarian and Vanguard Captains on 'em. The one full and two half-sprues became Start Collecting! Vanguard Space Marines, while the Vanguard Captain and Librarian were sold as separate characters instead. Important to note here is that the full sprue had a Lieutenant in Phobos Armor on it, which is an HQ choice; SC! boxes always have an HQ choice.

So, Shadowspear got made into two SC! boxes, one with two full sprues and an eighth-sprue, one with one full and two half-sprues. Each of those CS! boxes is pretty much exactly the amount of plastic in the LE Sisters of Battle army box.

Finally, the full and half-sprues in the LE SoB box don't have an HQ in them, so if those are going to be the SC! SoB box, they'll need a separate HQ, like the new SC! Chaos Space Marines has. GW already sells a separate Canoness model with multiple gear options. They need an HQ in the box, and are unlikely to put the sold-separately Canoness in there, meanwhile, there's precedent for a limited-release character showing up later exclusively available in an SC! box with the Space Wolves Primaris Battle Leader Haldor Icepelt, who showed up in the Tooth and Claw box (the one with the Space Wolves and Genestealers set on Vigilus) and who still isn't available on his own but is available in Start Collecting! Primaris Space Wolves.

"But Lea," you say, "They said that Canoness was exclusive to the LE box!" To which I reply, it was at the time. And "Plus it includes the Canoness model formerly available exclusively in this old box we stopped selling!" is exactly the sort of phrase that shows up in Warhammer Community articles about upcoming releases.

So, yeah, wait a bit. A Start Collecting! Adepta Sororitas box with all these models in it will probably be showing up around Christmas.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 14, 2020

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gunder posted:

Do you have any pics of this? I really like using Retributor Armour the old fashioned way, but would be curious to see your results.

My camera is rear end, but these models use the same process Thorax is describing.

The models started as one airbrush coat of Vallejo Model Air Duraluminum, Abbadon Black on the armored sections, a brush touchup of the Duraluminum, and then one coat Nazdreg Yellow for the gold.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

I've never used apothecary white before because the only reason I would is shading white and my current method of 3:1 medium:fenrisian grey accomplishes the same job but better. I've seen the results and they're definitely pretty drat good.

I mean maybe, but that argument applies to basically every contrast paint really. It's a real quick and consistent way to shade white, and it can also help with blending a bit. If you try to blend two light colours together, like ojn a power sword, a little apothecary white can help hide the transition. For me thats the best paints, it's just a quick and easy way to achieve certain effects without having to mess around diluting paints to achieve the same effect. I like the technical paints for a similar reason, yeah I can base my models with a mix of sand and paint etc but the technical paints are just easy to use.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Gunder posted:

All of the gold on this model is Vallejo white aluminum airbrush paint(brush painted on because it has great coverage) and one coat of Nazdreg.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Strobe posted:

My camera is rear end, but these models use the same process Thorax is describing.

The models started as one airbrush coat of Vallejo Model Air Duraluminum, Abbadon Black on the armored sections, a brush touchup of the Duraluminum, and then one coat Nazdreg Yellow for the gold.

That's really nice.

I wonder if you could make something with more color modulation by zenithal highlighting the underlying metal with a brighter metallic silver paint.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Stephenls posted:

a brighter metallic silver paint.

If you can find a metallic paint that's meaningfully brighter than duraluminum you deserve an award.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

If you can find a metallic paint that's meaningfully brighter than duraluminum you deserve an award.

Metal Color Chrome? I mean, it's not a good chrome paint but it's brighter than duraluminum.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

How does it compare to Stormhost Silver? That stuff is real bright. I use it for gun metal: 1 coat Stormhost, then wash with Black Templar. Looks great, and basically removes the need for an edge highlight afterwards.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gunder posted:

How does it compare to Stormhost Silver? That stuff is real bright. I use it for gun metal: 1 coat Stormhost, then wash with Black Templar. Looks great, and basically removes the need for an edge highlight afterwards.

Judging by my swatches, it's about as bright as stormhost silver but covers better when applied by brush, and a bit brighter than brushed stormhost silver when applied via airbrush. I don't have a swatch of airbrushed stormhost silver so I don't know how that fits in.

Metal Color Chrome gets a bad rap in online reviews of the Metal Color line that I've seen because as chrome paints go, it's bad -- it doesn't look like chrome and you can't polish it like chrome. But it is a freakishly bright silver.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Gunder posted:

It has the coverage of something like leadbelcher, it dries smooth because it's an airbrush paint, and I'd say it's comparable brightness if not a little brighter. Over black primer it only takes two coats for 100% coverage.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
Thank you for the advice everyone.

I'm going to try some highlights on my next batch of guardsmen instead of drybrushing. I've just been buying the start collecting boxes as I need Leman Russes and Guardsmen and Heavy Weapon teams, and It's cheaper than getting them separately.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Ashcans posted:

They're slightly larger.

Not the best picture sorry, but here's the old & new side by side:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Stephenls posted:

I'm almost certain that the exact contents of the Sisters LE box will be the contents of the Start Collecting! Adepta Sororitas box, minus the limited edition codex and dice and cards and things.

So, yeah, wait a bit. A Start Collecting! Adepta Sororitas box with all these models in it will probably be showing up around Christmas.

Thanks for the well-thought answer! Sounds like I can wait on that for a bit. If I was going to start working on some stuff before then, it seems like I could just aim outside those contents and pick up something like the Celestians/Dominions box, so that I don't end up doubled up on too much with the eventual starter.

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010

Kitchner posted:

Can confirm, used it as the base for my Abaddon and it was the best decision of my life.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
We talking about Contrast? Here are some of my Primaris Blood Angels! They're not perfect, but they look great from a foot away

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I was saying to someone the other day I'm glad contrast didn't exist because those paint jobs look better than my early attempts and I reckon I'm lazy enough and had so many models to paint I'd have never bothered to try and get better

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Gunder posted:

I have VMA Chrome (same as VMC Chrome) and I feel could in theory highlight Stormhost silver with it.

It is definitely the brightest/shiniest metallic I’ve ever used.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

So goobertown posted a new video and its a touchy subject but.. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that he is still the Bob Ross and Fred Rogers of the Warhammer community

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YgVb4a0bUw

Someone upthread really said it, he's a national treasure and a good boy.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

We talking about Contrast? Here are some of my Primaris Blood Angels! They're not perfect, but they look great from a foot away

Dude these work well, nicely done. Metallic red looks a lot nicer than I thought.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Mephiston posted:

So goobertown posted a new video and its a touchy subject but.. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that he is still the Bob Ross and Fred Rogers of the Warhammer community

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YgVb4a0bUw

Someone upthread really said it, he's a national treasure and a good boy.

just watched this. he's genuinely one of the best representatives of any nerd community. the nuance he took to the subject without both side-ing it was impressive.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
are there any good sources for building your own space marines chapter?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

are there any good sources for building your own space marines chapter?

Like all things go with goonhammer:

https://www.goonhammer.com/the-narrative-forge-building-narrative-armies/

Pairs well with the painting a narrative army article:

https://www.goonhammer.com/narrative-forge-painting-narrative-armies-and-showing-without-telling/

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
If you have an Android device, Impcat is a great way to test out color schemes. There's tons of templates available on the subreddit.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Stephenls posted:

That's really nice.

I wonder if you could make something with more color modulation by zenithal highlighting the underlying metal with a brighter metallic silver paint.

I’ve tried contrast over basic zenithal and the shades can end up super dark. I’d go for a lighter base overall.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I've tried Contrast both over a zenithal and over a pre-shade of something more or less like thinned-down Nuln Oil followed by a white drybrush, and the latter works much better:

That's 100% contrast. (And another thing Snakebite Leather is excellent at is doing a fair approximation of NMM gold straight out of the pot - it works better if you can add some highlights in light yellow and then white, but even if you can't be bothered, like I couldn't here, it works fine.)

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Mephiston posted:

Dude these work well, nicely done. Metallic red looks a lot nicer than I thought.

Thank you! I used leadbelcher spray, hit it with a Guilliman Blue glaze, then put the Blood Angels Red contrast over that, it gives it a more rich look. To me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Giant Ethicist posted:

I've tried Contrast both over a zenithal and over a pre-shade of something more or less like thinned-down Nuln Oil followed by a white drybrush, and the latter works much better:

That's 100% contrast. (And another thing Snakebite Leather is excellent at is doing a fair approximation of NMM gold straight out of the pot - it works better if you can add some highlights in light yellow and then white, but even if you can't be bothered, like I couldn't here, it works fine.)

Really, really nice work. Puts mine to shame!