Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

yeah I'm not seeing a problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Alaois posted:

yeah I'm not seeing a problem here

Neither does Daredevil

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:drat:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

OnimaruXLR posted:

does anyone here have any interest in figuring out how much force would be generated by a 180-220 pound man launching a choke with a nigh-unbreakable cord at someone who is charging him that probably weighs between 800 pounds and a ton and a half and is moving between 40-50 mph?

In case anyone does, according to the OHOTMU Deluxe Edition Daredevil is 6 feet even and 200 pounds and Rhino is 6'5", 710 pounds.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

does anyone here have any interest in figuring out how much force would be generated by a 180-220 pound man launching a choke with a nigh-unbreakable cord at someone who is charging him that probably weighs between 800 pounds and a ton and a half and is moving between 40-50 mph?
I'll accept that Rhino can run at the speed of a rhino, which maxes out around 31 mph.

F = ma

So, to stop Rhino (let's say it takes 1 second to drop him from 31 mph to 0 for simplicity's sake), Matt needs to generate 322 kg * -14 m/s^2 = -4508 N, which is to say 4508 N or a bit over 1000 lbs-force in the opposite direction of movement.

I think. I haven't actually done physics in a long time, and I never took a dynamics class.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

I'll accept that Rhino can run at the speed of a rhino, which maxes out around 31 mph.

F = ma

So, to stop Rhino (let's say it takes 1 second to drop him from 31 mph to 0 for simplicity's sake), Matt needs to generate 322 kg * -14 m/s^2 = -4508 N, which is to say 4508 N or a bit over 1000 lbs-force in the opposite direction of movement.

I think. I haven't actually done physics in a long time, and I never took a dynamics class.

Yeah, if Rhino is a perfect sphere traveling in a frictionless environment. Or you get the guy who's running on street to choke and be distracted from the effort if putting one foot in front of the other.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 15, 2020

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Endless Mike posted:

F = ma

According to the Hulk 2004 OHOTMU, Rhino can run at "nearly 100 miles per hour, but cannot stop suddenly or make sharp turns while running at high speeds."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I didn't catch it at first but I love how Daredevil fires his baton into the air before running to save Rhino, and it comes down and bonks Bullseye in the top of the head.

Like what the gently caress even is Matt's power at this point? He misses less than Bullseye.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Sonar-sight gives you pinpoint precision, didn't you know?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Matt got a bit of Domino's luck as a residual from the time they hooked up

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Isn't it established that he has super-proprioception in addition to his sonar and "hightened senses"?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, if Rhino is a perfect sphere traveling in a frictionless environment. Or you get the guy who's running on street to choke and be distracted from the effort if putting one foot in front of the other.

Look at this goon who wants people to think he's not a frictionless sphere

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Edit: Hey this isn't the funny panels thread! :v:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

F = ma

You don’t need to exert force to completely stop him, he’s torquing him at the neck to topple him over. Then he’ll skid to a stop. If you clothesline someone that’s running you aren’t slapping them with an equal and opposite force.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yes, you don't need to stop everything, just the head. That's about 8% which sounds way more manageable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also it's like flipping someone by torquing their wrist. They will follow the motion of the torque because they don't want their wrist snapped. As soon as Rhino felt himself at risk of being garroted he'd want to follow the backwards motion towards Daredevil.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I feel like Spider-Man has done the same trick but since it's Spider-Man and things have to be wacky, Rhino just kept running with Pete hanging on for dear life behind him.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

John Dyne posted:

I didn't catch it at first but I love how Daredevil fires his baton into the air before running to save Rhino, and it comes down and bonks Bullseye in the top of the head.

Like what the gently caress even is Matt's power at this point? He misses less than Bullseye.

haha I also missed that, thanks for mentioning it

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

John Dyne posted:

I feel like Spider-Man has done the same trick but since it's Spider-Man and things have to be wacky, Rhino just kept running with Pete hanging on for dear life behind him.

Peter is generally either not skilled or not severe enough to try and choke out his villains, depending on the tone and context of the story

This is honestly one of the things I hated about when Slott tried to teach him kung fu. Spider-Man getting an in depth combat education is weird to me because he really doesn't need it, he's basically on the tier below all the world-breakers already.

It's probably just a stupid fanboy quibble of mine, like whenever Batman makes ongoing use out of power armor instead of using it on special occasions. If these characters are going to exist in a state of quasi-stasis and never evolve that much, I think it makes a lot of sense for them to stay in their drat lanes. Or if you're going to expand their scope, do it in a good way like Batman Inc.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OnimaruXLR posted:

Peter is generally either not skilled or not severe enough to try and choke out his villains, depending on the tone and context of the story

This is honestly one of the things I hated about when Slott tried to teach him kung fu. Spider-Man getting an in depth combat education is weird to me because he really doesn't need it, he's basically on the tier below all the world-breakers already.

That one time wasn't so bad though because hadn't he lost his Spider Sense?

There was at least one other time (beyond off-hand mentions of being trained) where he was getting martial arts lessons and yeah, it's exactly the BS you're talking about. For one, why would fans want him to look like a martial artist? His fighting style is unique enough you could recognize it in silhouette. He has trademark visual appeal. But beyond that his fighting style is his power set. His Spider Sense ties into his reflexes and ties into his agiity and ties into his strength so that he can fight in a way that normally wouldn't make a lick of sense but is very effective for him.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Right. It's kind of like teaching Flash Karate. He can already throw hundreds of punches in the blink of an eye. What is style going to add to that?

Now Superman on the other hand, he could use a little finesse seeing as he is either fighting other guys in his class, or depowered every other issue, so a little training makes sense.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Right. It's kind of like teaching Flash Karate. He can already throw hundreds of punches in the blink of an eye. What is style going to add to that?

Remember when Wally learned the Dim Mak death touch and then it was never mentioned again? What the hell was up with that anyway?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It's fun, when it's downright ridiculous.
I want a story which reveals that Galactus is really good at Krav Maga.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Now Superman on the other hand, he could use a little finesse seeing as he is either fighting other guys in his class, or depowered every other issue, so a little training makes sense.

Superman knows some Kryptonian style of martial Arts iirc

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

He's got some kind of super intellect and super memory and has read like every book so I'm sure he could give Batman a run for his money in an MMA fight if he got depowered.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Do we ever see it? Like those Iron Fist move narration boxes, like "Kandorian Suplex".

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 15, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

Do we ever see it? Like those Iron Fist move narration boxes, like "Kandorian Suplex".

Mostly stuff like this with the occasional weird trippy kung-fu trip.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Lurdiak posted:

He's got some kind of super intellect and super memory and has read like every book so I'm sure he could give Batman a run for his money in an MMA fight if he got depowered.

I mean, early UFC shows had a lot of people who had read a lot of martial arts books too. It didnt necessarily go well for them against people who had actual experience.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Lobok posted:

Did he actually learn it in Kandor? I'm imagining a sensei type dude behind a really huge magnifier lens.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
The word Torquasm brings up many mental images, none of which involve kung-fu.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

ImpAtom posted:

Klurkor!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gnome de plume posted:

The word Torquasm brings up many mental images, none of which involve kung-fu.

On our planet it means the sensation you feel when you watch the greatest movie of all time.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
In my mind, Superman learned how to box from* Muhammad Ali.

*got the poo poo kicked out of him by

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SiKboy posted:

I mean, early UFC shows had a lot of people who had read a lot of martial arts books too. It didnt necessarily go well for them against people who had actual experience.

Those people were probably not Superman.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lobok posted:

On our planet it means the sensation you feel when you watch the greatest movie of all time.

Torque loving owns.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
I think it was in the Irredeemable spinoff Incorruptible, the main character, a former super villain, talks about how one time he had the bright idea to try and fight his nemesis, the Plutonian (a Superman analogue) in a zone that cancelled out both their powers.

Turned out the Plutonian had become an incredibly good boxer in his spare time, and was still built like a brick shithouse without powers.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Turned out the Plutonian had become an incredibly good boxer in his spare time, and was still built like a brick shithouse without powers.

I think this has happened to Luthor more than once

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

I think it was in the Irredeemable spinoff Incorruptible, the main character, a former super villain, talks about how one time he had the bright idea to try and fight his nemesis, the Plutonian (a Superman analogue) in a zone that cancelled out both their powers.

It goes against the purpose of the devices but I want to see a situation sometime where someone in these comics activates their doubletalk device that TAKES AWAY EVERYONE'S SUPERPOWERS --

-- and he finds out that even the athletic humans suddenly have a quarter of the cardio endurance they should... and that nobody can throw a rock or aim a gun worth poo poo any more... and that that cheesesteak he had for lunch before setting out to destroy the Justice League is starting to feel like, well, like he ate a bunch of rotten milk.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nessus posted:

It goes against the purpose of the devices but I want to see a situation sometime where someone in these comics activates their doubletalk device that TAKES AWAY EVERYONE'S SUPERPOWERS --

-- and he finds out that even the athletic humans suddenly have a quarter of the cardio endurance they should... and that nobody can throw a rock or aim a gun worth poo poo any more... and that that cheesesteak he had for lunch before setting out to destroy the Justice League is starting to feel like, well, like he ate a bunch of rotten milk.
Careful, sounds like you're close to writing a JLA: Act of God reboot.

e: speaking of depowered beatdowns:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nessus posted:

There was a JLA special where Kobra used a body swapping machine. It ended up with Kobra in Batman's body fighting Superman in Kobra's body.

Superman kicked his rear end because Kobra was pretty fit (for a Cobra Commander rip off) and he had learnt how to wreck guys like Parasite and Doomsday.