Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
We oughta ban those baby killers. They're making GBS threads up my shitposting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

I have long said that AI is the rightmost forum on a site that features a gun forum.

TFR is the kind of gun forum that, when I needed home defense advice, gave excellent advice that was 100 percent “how not to be in a situation where you have to pull the trigger”, which I really appreciated and would never get on any other gun forum on the internet.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The guy giving the ccw class i went to spent like 30 minutes on how he keeps the cans of wasp killer near like every window and door, the stuff that can spray like 30 feet in a solid steam, because it's harder for you to get charged with assault with a deadly weapon if someone breaks in with something that just blinds someone instead of a gun

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Stravag posted:

The guy giving the ccw class i went to spent like 30 minutes on how he keeps the cans of wasp killer near like every window and door, the stuff that can spray like 30 feet in a solid steam, because it's harder for you to get charged with assault with a deadly weapon if someone breaks in with something that just blinds someone instead of a gun

Appropriate thread for this.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Stravag posted:

A man who took “spray and pray” to heart.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cyrano4747 posted:

Fun fact - GiP doing its thing is what got me to make moves on killing "retard" in TFR back whenever I did it.

GiP is basically the sleeper progressive forum on SA

Thank god someone made a new Idiots thread, just the username of the OP of the old one was pissing people off on a daily basis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, nah. I called someone out for being racist and had someone try to dox me, to which the mod at the time said "yeah, well, don't call it out, you're pretty left" like that was an excuse.

I loving love cars but gently caress that forum is incredibly insular and stuck in the past, and loathes any form of progress. Automotive or societal.

That's about the opposite of my experience in there, but I don't hit too many threads regularly. Pretty accurate for literally every other car forum I've been a member of in the past 15 years though. You guys would LOVE the Corvette old-timers.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

That's about the opposite of my experience in there, but I don't hit too many threads regularly. Pretty accurate for literally every other car forum I've been a member of in the past 15 years though. You guys would LOVE the Corvette old-timers.

gently caress CorvetteForums forever and ever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Aussies and Limeys are such whiny little pricks when anyone asks them not to use their favorite swears. Like, I get it, I grew up in California in the 1990s and it took a bit of work to cut "gay" out of my vocabulary but I did it anyway.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Godholio posted:

Corvettes seem to attract the most entitled boomers who firmly believes anything he buys is rare and exotic and thus must appreciate 300% because that's the law. So yeah, I can picture their forums being loving poo poo holes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Aussies and Limeys are such whiny little pricks when anyone asks them not to use their favorite swears. Like, I get it, I grew up in California in the 1990s and it took a bit of work to cut "gay" out of my vocabulary but I did it anyway.

Yeah as an Australian, I saw the new thing and went "yeah fair call, I like using the word but I can manage not to around here. And if I use it while drunk, I'll cop the sixer and move on with my life".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe we should send them all to an isl- oh wait

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

gently caress CorvetteForums forever and ever.

Yeah but they know their poo poo. Just ignore the off topic posts (the mods are pretty good about clearing them out, fortunately).

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What the hell do they talk about, I'm having a real hard time imagining a vette owner deigning to turn their own wrenches

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

A Bad Poster posted:

This was my experience when I was looking for one to buy about 10 years ago. I figured that the best bet was to find one that a grandpa in the southwest drove gently, but that's a diamond in the rough.

Those are going for $5k and up these days with 200k on the clock. I've been shopping for one lately.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The difference with the use of "gay" (or "Jewish", which I've also seen) as a pejorative, though, is that lots of Australians aren't using the c word as a pejorative, but simply as another word for "person".

Like, describing something bad as "gay" is lovely to do because there's nothing bad about being gay, and that usage implies that there is. But the particular Australian usage is more like if people just decided to start using "fag" instead of "dude" for absolutely everyone regardless of orientation or gender or how you actually feel about the person.

I've never understood it myself, it's not universal, I have no idea how it came to be and I think it's really weird. But the funny thing is, that usage is not even using it as a swear.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

What the hell do they talk about, I'm having a real hard time imagining a vette owner deigning to turn their own wrenches

C1/C2/C3 owners are not the C5/6/7 crowd. These are guys who've been into these cars since the 60s and 70s, some of them have owned and wrenched the same car since they bought a beater used Vette in the early 70s. There are people who worked in the St Louis assembly plant that post. I've had a few conversations with this guy who after his time with GM stood up and managed the Viper assembly plant. He's the one who pointed me to a carb shop that, after three other shops in five years, actually got mine running like a top.

They're still boomers and more than a few of them post like it, though.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

The difference with the use of "gay" (or "Jewish", which I've also seen) as a pejorative, though, is that lots of Australians aren't using the c word as a pejorative, but simply as another word for "person".

Like, describing something bad as "gay" is lovely to do because there's nothing bad about being gay, and that usage implies that there is. But the particular Australian usage is more like if people just decided to start using "fag" instead of "dude" for absolutely everyone regardless of orientation or gender or how you actually feel about the person.

I've never understood it myself, it's not universal, I have no idea how it came to be and I think it's really weird. But the funny thing is, that usage is not even using it as a swear.

People know aussies don't always mean it perjoratively. I don't use the word "mosit" as a perjorative but I avoid it's use with 2 of my friends because it bothers them.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

CainFortea posted:

People know aussies don't always mean it perjoratively. I don't use the word "mosit" as a perjorative but I avoid it's use with 2 of my friends because it bothers them.

Yeah, and it's reasonable that we shouldn't use it because it bothers people. I didn't mean to defend the practise, I guess I was trying to point out that the mentality of using it and resistance to stopping isn't quite the same thing as "why can't I still use <favourite slur here>?".

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
From like middle school through high school we used gay as more of a replacement for dumb or stupid. There wasnt really any homophobia behind it, just kids being dumb and insensitive. This continued until I used it in front of some gay friends and was reminded they were gay immediately after. That's basically the last time I used it like that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

GiP is basically the sleeper progressive forum on SA
The surprisingly low noble content, along with everyone being realistic about how enlisting hosed them over kinda set the tone.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What does “mosit” mean?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Scratch Monkey posted:

What does “mosit” mean?

Wish I hadn't googled it

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So it's not a misspelling of 'moist'?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Russian court sentences US citizen Paul Whelan to 16 years in prison

This guy enlisted in the Marine reserves when he was younger and went back in 2003 so he could go to Iraq. While there he got himself a BCD for trying to steal money and, hilariously, making a fake person in the computer system that he used to do his own evaluations. He went back to the US and worked in IT and in selling guns on the internet. He jumped on the Trump Train in 2016 and was probably trying to parlay that bootlicking into another government job (this time as a spy! COOL!) but got caught. Oops!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

What does “mosit” mean?

Urban Dictionary claims it’s a dad who wants to butt gently caress his son. I’ve never heard the term before so that may not be accurate.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

So it's not a misspelling of 'moist'?

It is. I didn't know mosit was a thing and i'm not googling it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Russian court sentences US citizen Paul Whelan to 16 years in prison

This guy enlisted in the Marine reserves when he was younger and went back in 2003 so he could go to Iraq. While there he got himself a BCD for trying to steal money and, hilariously, making a fake person in the computer system that he used to do his own evaluations. He went back to the US and worked in IT and in selling guns on the internet. He jumped on the Trump Train in 2016 and was probably trying to parlay that bootlicking into another government job (this time as a spy! COOL!) but got caught. Oops!

quote:

From behind a glass screen ahead of the verdict, Whelan held up a sign in court with phrases on it including "Sham trial," "No human rights," and "Paul's life matters
🙄🙄🙄

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

quote:

Paul's life matters

ALL lives matter :smugbert:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Defenestrategy posted:

Hhahahahaha holy poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Defenestrategy posted:

:drat:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hyperlynx posted:

huh. channers used to do exactly that. Australia is the 4chan of countries.

it was even founded by deportees.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Defenestrategy posted:

:discourse:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mllaneza posted:

Thank god someone made a new Idiots thread, just the username of the OP of the old one was pissing people off on a daily basis.

Once upon a time I decided to read through the original thread front to back, but those names always bothered the hell out of me. When 50 Foot Ant decided to delete all of his (probably fake but still fun to read) stories in a drunken bender, I gave up about 75% of the way through because I was tired of seeing them.

Also, either it was this thread or the original that pointed me towards the "Let's Read Unintended Consequences" thread, and uh

Jesus

Kith fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 16, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I always wondered what happened to him

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I always wondered what happened to him

From what I remember, he went off to be a writer. He got dunked on pretty hard in the original thread at one point and stopped posting, then a few years later edited all of his posts empty (except for one, which said something like "nobody likes you, rear end in a top hat"). Whether the writing business is connected to nuking all of his posts is a mystery.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Of course the posts were most likely 100% fake, but they were entertaining as all hell :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah I loved those, hope he's still writing, he was p good at it.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

And at least partially military connected because those stories just screamed late cold war bullshittery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
50FA stories were awesome and if you didn't like them because they weren't true you 1. don't "get" sea stories and 2. should have some fun because you're a square