Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Cinara posted:

If you have an Android device, Impcat is a great way to test out color schemes. There's tons of templates available on the subreddit.

Fun little app thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Giant Ethicist posted:

I've tried Contrast both over a zenithal and over a pre-shade of something more or less like thinned-down Nuln Oil followed by a white drybrush, and the latter works much better:

That's 100% contrast. (And another thing Snakebite Leather is excellent at is doing a fair approximation of NMM gold straight out of the pot - it works better if you can add some highlights in light yellow and then white, but even if you can't be bothered, like I couldn't here, it works fine.)

Daaaang this looks good. Even the red eye lenses and gun edge highlights are contrast?

Y’all are freaking good with contrast. Last few pages have been inspiring.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Coda also just wrote this on Getting Started https://www.goonhammer.com/getting-started-space-marine-successors/

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Considering how loving amazing every single painter is on this website I think I'll just not post my thousand son's.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mephiston posted:

So goobertown posted a new video and its a touchy subject but.. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that he is still the Bob Ross and Fred Rogers of the Warhammer community

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YgVb4a0bUw

Someone upthread really said it, he's a national treasure and a good boy.

Thanks a bunch for linking this. I don't really follow any 40k stuff or minis stuff on Youtube, so I'm now super glad to have discovered this dude. Beyond the chill voice and chill, seemingly random videos (staining a table, canoein'g around all chill-like), the message is fantastic, as is the way he goes about it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Spudd posted:

Considering how loving amazing every single painter is on this website I think I'll just not post my thousand son's.

Post them, no one starts off incredible and no-one in this thread is going to give you poo poo about your paint jobs. What you will get is decent feedback and good advice.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Drone posted:

Thanks a bunch for linking this. I don't really follow any 40k stuff or minis stuff on Youtube, so I'm now super glad to have discovered this dude. Beyond the chill voice and chill, seemingly random videos (staining a table, canoein'g around all chill-like), the message is fantastic, as is the way he goes about it.

stopped listening after he claimed GW's post was too confrontational and shuts out debate, as if being more polite to nazis and other human garbage might lead them to compromise on their "all minorities should die" stance.

telling them in no uncertain terms to get the gently caress out of your hobby is absolutely the right approach

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Has anyone got the Valerian and Aleya set? If so do you know if you can kitbash a normal custodes helmet onto Valerian has the standard one is shite.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

peer posted:

stopped listening after he claimed GW's post was too confrontational and shuts out debate, as if being more polite to nazis and other human garbage might lead them to compromise on their "all minorities should die" stance.

telling them in no uncertain terms to get the gently caress out of your hobby is absolutely the right approach

I agree, and at times his video definitely did come across as "aww look at this naive liberal thinking you can reason with Nazis". But the whole thing is still worth a watch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Spudd posted:

Post ur fucken models m8

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The worst thing that'll happen is someone will earnestly give you good advice and encouragement.

Tommu
Aug 4, 2019

O vanity of Sleep, Hope, Dream, endless Desire,
The Horses of Disaster plunge in the heavy clay
Some of my custodes from my lovely phone.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Tommu posted:

Some of my custodes from my lovely phone.

Like your bases a lot, those rocks just drybrushed pebbles?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Spudd posted:

Don’t worry some of us are still garbage after almost 30 years.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

peer posted:

I mean I also disagree with his point, but I listened to the whole thing anyway.

I thought about it some more and the only thing I think I agree with is that saying "get out you won't be missed" sort of shuts the door forever.

In theory I think I'm more on the lines of "get out, and don't come back until you learn why racism is wrong, but if you never learn that, you won't be missed". That's not as succinct though.

All his stuff about how you can potentially convince others about their racism being wrong over a game of warhammer is just wrong though. We've tried to reason with discrimination for too long as a society, and it's clear now reason doesn't work. The views need to be ostracised and (ironically) discriminated against until they are totally socially unacceptable to voice. No racist is going to be convinced over a game of warhammer.

In the rest of his video he basically does raise good points about how you can talk about racial discrimination in the hobby, but it's more about the sort of subconscious biases rather than open hate. An example of a player pulled over by the police for speeding on the way to a tournament, how are they treated, when they shop in the store, how are they watched etc. He also talks about GW and the hobby being mostly white dudes painting white dudes etc.

Those conversations about how we subconsciously discriminate, and how we address and improve on our own biases doesn't work when there's a corner of the room painting swastikas on their tanks and shouting "seig heil!". Get the gently caress rid of them first and then talk about how the people who don't want to be racist can adjust their behaviours.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Daaaang this looks good. Even the red eye lenses and gun edge highlights are contrast?

Y’all are freaking good with contrast. Last few pages have been inspiring.

Thanks! No edge highlights whatsoever - the contrast does all the work. (The lenses are TBH about half the slightly glossy finish making for what looks like a tight final highlight.)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I'm looking for advice on this army cause I'm kinda new and just want to know if there are some major flaws or things to avoid. I think it will suck against horde armies but be decent against low model count armies.

https://pastebin.com/QkJiQzLL

Thanks.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Spudd posted:

If people don't talk poo poo you don't improve, which can be a problem here sometimes. My stuff isn't anything special either but getting both positive and negative feedback is very important.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've gotten so many good, easy tips from goons it really elevated my painting. I try to do things quickly with a solid finish so it's invaluable getting three or four opinions then seeing what you can put into practice best.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Drone posted:

I agree, and at times his video definitely did come across as "aww look at this naive liberal thinking you can reason with Nazis". But the whole thing is still worth a watch.

Sorry, I didn't mean to single you out - your post was simply the most recent about the video

Kitchner posted:

In theory I think I'm more on the lines of "get out, and don't come back until you learn why racism is wrong, but if you never learn that, you won't be missed". That's not as succinct though.

Sure, I don't disagree with this (or the rest of your post)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Always be posting Thousand Sons.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

peer posted:

I agree with you, I like Goobertown a lot and also understand what he was trying to say but this is something you have to stomp out first before nuance can come back in. Being half way hasn't worked out in all the years it's been tried and I am glad Gamesworkshop has told racists to gently caress off.

EDIT: Thousand Spudd's tax, I am only starting and I've decided to blue all of them first and then work on the detail after.

Please ignore the dirty rear end keyboard, it does get cleaned it's just almost 8 years old at this point.

The very most left guy I'm testing the other colours I am going to use on just to get an idea.

Spudd fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 15, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Goobertown is just too nice a guy. I think him shying away on that one thing is countered by him launching into a really long global warming talk like 30 minutes into a video out of nowhere once he already had you trapped.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

question for fellow Thousand sons painters: How do you make sure the arms go on right? There doesn't seem to be a notch or anything to marry upto and I worry I will misalign them.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

notaspy posted:

question for fellow Thousand sons painters: How do you make sure the arms go on right? There doesn't seem to be a notch or anything to marry upto and I worry I will misalign them.

I go gun arm > gun > holding arm because that one I can never guess where it's meant to go and also just pushing the gun arm so it's right up against their belly seems to be where they're meant to go.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Spudd posted:

I go gun arm > gun > holding arm because that one I can never guess where it's meant to go and also just pushing the gun arm so it's right up against their belly seems to be where they're meant to go.

nice one brother

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Giant Ethicist posted:

I've tried Contrast both over a zenithal and over a pre-shade of something more or less like thinned-down Nuln Oil followed by a white drybrush, and the latter works much better:

That's 100% contrast. (And another thing Snakebite Leather is excellent at is doing a fair approximation of NMM gold straight out of the pot - it works better if you can add some highlights in light yellow and then white, but even if you can't be bothered, like I couldn't here, it works fine.)

What base color did you start with on these dudes? They look amazing, and I might steal that snakebite gold look for some dwarves I'm about to paint.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Local shop had the Sisters army set in stock and pleasingly reduced so I decided to dip my toes into 40k

Decided to go with Sacred Rose because I'm a massive dickhead and didn't consider how long painting white can take.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Local shop had the Sisters army set in stock and pleasingly reduced so I decided to dip my toes into 40k

Decided to go with Sacred Rose because I'm a massive dickhead and didn't consider how long painting white can take.

what shop is this and do they have more?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

tomdidiot posted:

Local board game store in Chester, UK. I got the last one, though. They only had about 3 or 4 when it originally came out, and that last set just sat on the shelf until lockdown hit and the reduced price of £90 was enough to make me bite.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for high-ish effort steel armour? I want to give my sisters a renaissance knight style paintjob with lots of different coloured tabards (think Italian knights) but I keep feeling disappointed in the finish and wonder if I'm missing some tricks since I've rarely painted largely metal surfaces (outside of my KO but they're super grimy and worn, which is the absolute opposite to what I want here).

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010
Speaking of Thousand Sons, I haven't painted anything in about a decade but I recently found some primed but unpainted old metal rubric and chaos marines, so I decided hey, not like I have anything better to do at the moment! So I bought some Vallejo paints and these are the best I managed:

Sorry for the awful pics, finding anywhere with good lighting is a chore.

I know that one guy's head is blue but I ran out of thousand sons half way through, and since I don't have any primer I just used whatever was lying around to test the paint. My biggest issues were the gold, which was either too thin and went everywhere, or too gloopy and gummed up the brush. I tried painting the details brown first and it seemed to help a bit but my one attempt at highlighting them with silver turned out really ugly. Also I had a hard time actually seeing all the details on the models, but I suspect that's a problem with the original priming and model cleanup being awful. Thanks teenage me. The other was the washes. I dunno what I was doing wrong but they always left tide marks and splotches everywhere, even when thinned with water (was this a bad idea?) It never seemed to want to run into the gaps like it does on all those nice youtube tutorials I watched :saddowns:

I did find an old unopened box of rubric marines from like 20 years ago and I kind of want to assemble them, but I remember them being awful to assemble because of the heads making them tip over constantly.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

That's a solid rear end effort on the crown though, I'm having a tough time doing it as well I also really enjoy those old rear end models a lot. Was it tough painting on metal?

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

tomdidiot posted:

I'm pretty sure there are two of the sister's boxes available from Battleground games in Saugus, MA. You could email them to see if they'll ship them. They're offering them at retail, because those are the kinds of cool people they are.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for high-ish effort steel armour? I want to give my sisters a renaissance knight style paintjob with lots of different coloured tabards (think Italian knights) but I keep feeling disappointed in the finish and wonder if I'm missing some tricks since I've rarely painted largely metal surfaces (outside of my KO but they're super grimy and worn, which is the absolute opposite to what I want here).

There are lots of tutorials for NMM steel out there but you'll probably go mad trying that on a horde army. However, even if you're using regulat metallics you can use some of the NMM techniques to enhance and highlight areas.

Try shading with something other than Nuln oil to give your steels more richness - blues and purples for clean metal, browns and oranges for a more dirty/oily look. Push your highlights with Silvers.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Speaking of Thousand Sons, I haven't painted anything in about a decade but I recently found some primed but unpainted old metal rubric and chaos marines, so I decided hey, not like I have anything better to do at the moment! So I bought some Vallejo paints and these are the best I managed:

My biggest issues were the gold, which was either too thin and went everywhere, or too gloopy and gummed up the brush. I tried painting the details brown first and it seemed to help a bit but my one attempt at highlighting them with silver turned out really ugly. Also I had a hard time actually seeing all the details on the models, but I suspect that's a problem with the original priming and model cleanup being awful. Thanks teenage me. The other was the washes. I dunno what I was doing wrong but they always left tide marks and splotches everywhere, even when thinned with water (was this a bad idea?) It never seemed to want to run into the gaps like it does on all those nice youtube tutorials I watched :saddowns:

Buy or make a wet palate. Having that nice, watery base under your paint helps a LOT with thinning. You'll be able to dip your brush on the wet palate and drag the gold paint around, playing with the water/base paint consistency. You'll be able to find something you're comfortable with. No matter how you go about assembling the wet palate, I'd recommend using plain old parchment paper instead of any proprietary palate paper. It seems to let the most water bleed through and is the best to work with when you're first starting.

Depending on when you painted these models and where you sourced your materials, you could have just had some really crappy metallics, or they could have been drying in the pot. Same for your washes. I've bought brand new pots of paint from places with a low turnover and ended up with something that didn't work right out of the pot.

In any case, you can thin a wash with water and it might be your only option if some of it is evaporating/the color is stronger than you need. In general though, if you have a fresh pot of wash it *should* work best right from the bottle.

I don't think your minis are terrible for a beginner's attempt. I would definitely keep them and not try to strip-redo them. It's nice to have some older models so you can see your own progress.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Z the IVth posted:

There are lots of tutorials for NMM steel out there but you'll probably go mad trying that on a horde army. However, even if you're using regulat metallics you can use some of the NMM techniques to enhance and highlight areas.

Try shading with something other than Nuln oil to give your steels more richness - blues and purples for clean metal, browns and oranges for a more dirty/oily look. Push your highlights with Silvers.

I feel like I'm doing this and it's just not coming out how I want. I'll head back to the drawing board and try again. I was actually tempted to go the nmm path but it would drive me insane. I just feel like it's hard to get clean metal armour looking good for some reason.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I feel like I'm doing this and it's just not coming out how I want. I'll head back to the drawing board and try again. I was actually tempted to go the nmm path but it would drive me insane. I just feel like it's hard to get clean metal armour looking good for some reason.

Start a lot brighter than you think you need, and wash with gloss shades instead of normal ones.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Spudd posted:

That's a solid rear end effort on the crown though, I'm having a tough time doing it as well I also really enjoy those old rear end models a lot. Was it tough painting on metal?

Thanks! Painting on metal didn't feel any different honestly. The only real difference was the models are so top heavy it was hard to hold them at an angle to paint in the recesses.

Gameko posted:

Buy or make a wet palate. Having that nice, watery base under your paint helps a LOT with thinning. You'll be able to dip your brush on the wet palate and drag the gold paint around, playing with the water/base paint consistency. You'll be able to find something you're comfortable with. No matter how you go about assembling the wet palate, I'd recommend using plain old parchment paper instead of any proprietary palate paper. It seems to let the most water bleed through and is the best to work with when you're first starting.

Depending on when you painted these models and where you sourced your materials, you could have just had some really crappy metallics, or they could have been drying in the pot. Same for your washes. I've bought brand new pots of paint from places with a low turnover and ended up with something that didn't work right out of the pot.

In any case, you can thin a wash with water and it might be your only option if some of it is evaporating/the color is stronger than you need. In general though, if you have a fresh pot of wash it *should* work best right from the bottle.

I don't think your minis are terrible for a beginner's attempt. I would definitely keep them and not try to strip-redo them. It's nice to have some older models so you can see your own progress.

Also thanks! I did get a wet palate made pretty quick after the first couple of attempts ended with all the paint dried, and I suspect that was one of my problems with the gold too (I heard you shouldn't put them on wet palates since the metal flakes can contaminate the water?) I'm not sure I made it correctly though, since the paper started forming beads of water on the surface, and occasionally the paint would suddenly absorb a lot of water when I didn't mean for it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Booley posted:

Start a lot brighter than you think you need, and wash with gloss shades instead of normal ones.

Gloss sounds like the magic ticket I need! I've been using matte washes and shades. That's what might be deadening the model in a way I can't quite place. I'll give this a go airbrushing on a big bold Metal Color to start and break out the glosses. Cheers.