Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yeah I’ve been getting patchy results, and I’m okay with it since we’re talking spooky ethereal ghosts and all. I was hoping someone knew of a method that would offer better coverage, but I’m not unhappy with what I’m getting. It also works a little better if I’m edge highlighting and things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Pakxos posted:

Anyone have advice for how to deal with the really thin, highly-detailed models?

You didn't do a terrible job. An easy way to get those details to really pop for someone at any skill level is selct a basecoat like bronze or brass, mix in some lighter color paint or white, then do a drybrush from the top down. Angle your brush at a 45 degree slant to the miniatre, and only move the brush from the top of the model towards the base. That will catch on all the exposed bits and bobs and rivets and plates and make it look like light is hitting it. Then take your dark shade like nuln oil (but the carrion-burg crimson wash or the purple one also work marvelously on the red metals like copper) and using a sharp brush, load some up then dab it on a papertowel to get most ofi t off. Chase the little bit you have left on the brush into crevices and seams selectively.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone know of you can varnish over turbo dork color shift? If so is it gloss only?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone know of you can varnish over turbo dork color shift? If so is it gloss only?

Yes and yes.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
I used to take my toy Spacemans vary seriously.

But then I said, no, let's get weird.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

what is this, a sword for ants??

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Does anyone have experience painting contrast paints over a metallic basecoat or undercoat?

I'm looking around for ideas for a slightly different take on Eldar. For whatever reason, maybe all the fluff around wraithbone, few people seem to do mainly metallics on Eldar.

I find myself quite drawn to the Alpha Legion look (turquoise/teal metal), and although I'll probably be running Biel Tan for nostalgia or Ulthwé for a 6+++ save, a scheme like that on Eldar could plausibly pass as Iybraesil too. People online seem to disagree as to the easiest and best way to achieve a comparable look. If it matters, I won't have many aspect warriors, this is for Guardians, psykers, and their vehicles initially.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Vlex posted:

Does anyone have experience painting contrast paints over a metallic basecoat or undercoat?

I'm looking around for ideas for a slightly different take on Eldar. For whatever reason, maybe all the fluff around wraithbone, few people seem to do mainly metallics on Eldar.

I find myself quite drawn to the Alpha Legion look (turquoise/teal metal), and although I'll probably be running Biel Tan for nostalgia or Ulthwé for a 6+++ save, a scheme like that on Eldar could plausibly pass as Iybraesil too. People online seem to disagree as to the easiest and best way to achieve a comparable look. If it matters, I won't have many aspect warriors, this is for Guardians, psykers, and their vehicles initially.

If you have an airbrush might I recommend turbo dork?

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I finished up some immortals!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

R0ckfish posted:

I finished up some immortals!
Beautiful, as usual. I really like the dark tone. What's the metal recipe?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

w00tmonger posted:

A finish similar to that but blueish green is what I'm aiming for I guess, but an airbrush is outside my scope.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

w00tmonger posted:

These look awesome, and turbo dork is awesome.

Michigoons, Nankin Hobby in Farmington carries turbo dork, molotow chrome pens, microsol microset, Tamiya cement, amongst a ton of other kinda rare hobby stuff.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Gunder posted:

Beautiful, as usual. I really like the dark tone. What's the metal recipe?

The metal is Iron Hands steel washed with both Agrax and Basilicanum grey (it's basically super dense Nuln Oil) followed by a drybrush of Ironbreaker and a edge highlight of Stormhost Silver.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
10x Corpse Grinder Cultists done

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Finally finished up the Lord of Blights for Darren Latham's masterclass. Started this thing in January and worked on it on -and-off but managed to finish before his YouTube goes dark on June 18. Was a lot of fun and definitely beyond what I could have done without guidance.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
That looks wonderful! And yes, a good guide especially something as in depth as his masterclass is unbelievable in how much it can improve your results. So much of painting is knowledge instead of strict mechanical skill.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This is amazing work! I never noticed it had a tail, but when I did notice :gonk: that's disturbingly well done.

Edit: You did a really good job making every aspect of him look heavy. His armor looks real heavy, the wood looks old and heavy, and he t h I c c.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Skails posted:

Finally finished up the Lord of Blights for Darren Latham's masterclass. Started this thing in January and worked on it on -and-off but managed to finish before his YouTube goes dark on June 18. Was a lot of fun and definitely beyond what I could have done without guidance.

It looks amazing. Can you post something you did before you did the class? It's always great to see the improvement side by side. This post has inspired me to give his masterclass series on the lord of blights a go.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Has anyone seen an archived collection of videos from Latham's channel somewhere for preservation?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Main airbrush work done on Mortarion's body, gonna do some touchups on the interior of the cloak and then I can finally move on to getting some real work done on this cloth. Going to shoot for a dark weathered leather look on the top part. This model is just so loving busy, there's stuff crammed in everywhere it's going to take me forever to finish with how litle I have been painting.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Booyah- posted:

Has anyone seen an archived collection of videos from Latham's channel somewhere for preservation?

I used wikihow’s guide to saving youtube videos and vlc. Saving all ten parts took about ten minutes.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Cinara posted:

That looks wonderful! And yes, a good guide especially something as in depth as his masterclass is unbelievable in how much it can improve your results. So much of painting is knowledge instead of strict mechanical skill.

This for sure. Knowing things like how much you can thin paint to get the results you want and having an idea of how many layers or steps it's going to take to get the intended final result really make a difference. Beyond that developing a working concept of light and shadow can make a huge difference in results.

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is amazing work! I never noticed it had a tail, but when I did notice :gonk: that's disturbingly well done.

Edit: You did a really good job making every aspect of him look heavy. His armor looks real heavy, the wood looks old and heavy, and he t h I c c.

Thanks! He is such a gross dude, fun to paint but not something I'm going to show off to my wife or children.

Ez8 posted:

It looks amazing. Can you post something you did before you did the class? It's always great to see the improvement side by side. This post has inspired me to give his masterclass series on the lord of blights a go.

Sure! Don't get into the series yet, Latham's YouTube account is about to shut down. Apparently there is some conflict with GW proper and him doing his own branding. I hope they show up rebranded by GW at some point, but there is no telling. There are other good series by other artists- Trovarion has an Ogroid Myrmadon masterclass that I would be interested in doing at some point. I've been back to mini painting for 3 years now and leaning hard into spending more time on fewer models.

Skails posted:

Painted up Gotrek for a friend, what a great model. Took most of the color cues from the studio paint job. Ended up with a satin finish which has a nice effect in person.

This was the last single figure I painted before doing the class. However, I spent around 20 hrs on on Gotrek here, and the Lord of Blights probably has over 50 hrs. I quit keeping track after a while. It's definitely more time than I would want to spend on any model but it's fun to dive in like that maybe once a year or so.

The last time I put anywhere near the same time in was this Darkoath Chieftan from Feb.2019

Skails posted:

Darkoath Chieftain
Finished up this guy for Goonbowl challenge. This is by far the most time/effort I've spent on a single mini. I decided to approach the project by doing lots of thin glazing and to really try out doing non metallic metals.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

I’d like to add more skin tones to my sisters army. Anyone have some guidelines for doing dark skin? Something table quality? If you’ve got multiple guides that would be nice too.

Ideally I’d like one for gold/tan tones and another for richer/mocha or coffee skin. If I can get three skin tones on the board that would work well.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I’m bored and playing around with the Impcat app, brainstorming Space Marine schemes. Made one I quite like based on Goliath beetle colors but the perfect color for the weapon eludes me. I tried a few different ones but still not sure:

Any suggestions?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Winklebottom posted:

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure why you're making the weapon a contrasting colour instead of one of the colours from the armour?

It's goign to make it stand out over the armour when it isn't the focal point of the mini. I'd do it one of the armour colours - white if you want it to stand out more, red to tone it in, black to make it stand out less.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm not sure why you're making the weapon a contrasting colour instead of one of the colours from the armour?

It's goign to make it stand out over the armour when it isn't the focal point of the mini. I'd do it one of the armour colours - white if you want it to stand out more, red to tone it in, black to make it stand out less.

Eh, thought it might look a bit same-y/drab otherwise, but perhaps you’re right

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Maybe try a deep royal blue

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Winklebottom posted:

Personally I'd go for the red.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Maybe try a deep royal blue

I don't think you want anything too saturate, given the overall relatively low saturation of the rest of the mini - blue could work but keeping it a little more drab would probably tone in better.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Winklebottom posted:

I also think the red looks best out of the options you've shown tbh!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Third vote for red.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions. I think red might be the way to go too. Now let’s see if I ever manage to put paint to miniature :v:

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.
I painted a Death Guard Lord of Contagion as a break from trying to paint all my Dark Elves.

I think he turned out pretty okay, but I do need to put some time into my photo setup.
If anyone wants to offer some critique or criticism I would greatly appreciate it.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Winklebottom posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I think red might be the way to go too. Now let’s see if I ever manage to put paint to miniature :v:

Personally I prefer the white, or if you want a contrasting color green. Those do make the weapon POP though.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Gameko posted:

I’d like to add more skin tones to my sisters army. Anyone have some guidelines for doing dark skin? Something table quality? If you’ve got multiple guides that would be nice too.

Ideally I’d like one for gold/tan tones and another for richer/mocha or coffee skin. If I can get three skin tones on the board that would work well.

Quick and dirty for a dark skin tone that’s done well for me (using Citadel paints):

Base in Dryad Bark
Wash with Druchi Violet
Go back over with Dryad Bark
Layer up from Dryad Bark to Gorthor Brown and then Baneblade Brown.

But since I don’t actually own Baneblade Brown yet I have been lightening up my Gorthor with off-whites (something like Screaming Skull) and then applying that mix as my top highlight.

See if that looks how you want. The trick with dark skin is keeping it warm and not washing it out, so if it starts to feel kinda cold/dead to you, you can try mixing in Druchi Violet again or even Reikland Fleshshade.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Skails posted:

Don't get into the series yet, Latham's YouTube account is about to shut down. Apparently there is some conflict with GW proper and him doing his own branding. I hope they show up rebranded by GW at some point, but there is no telling.

He’s been exceptionally clear throughout the entire thing that they will be gone forever. If you want to learn to paint, and you want the Lord of Blights masterclass, follow my advice:

Torquemada posted:

I used wikihow’s guide to saving youtube videos and vlc. Saving all ten parts took about ten minutes.

VLC is safe, download it. Follow the steps on wikihow and you can easily legally and safely keep the ten videos forever.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

tgis but make the helmet the teal from your very first pic

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Winklebottom posted:

Red for base troops, white for officers/special weapons to better identify and differentiate on the tabletop. Being able to tell at a glance what a model is can't be overstated when you've got a couple dozen of them wandering around.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

tgis but make the helmet the teal from your very first pic

definitely some potential there as well

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Quick and dirty for a dark skin tone that’s done well for me (using Citadel paints):

Base in Dryad Bark
Wash with Druchi Violet
Go back over with Dryad Bark
Layer up from Dryad Bark to Gorthor Brown and then Baneblade Brown.

But since I don’t actually own Baneblade Brown yet I have been lightening up my Gorthor with off-whites (something like Screaming Skull) and then applying that mix as my top highlight.

See if that looks how you want. The trick with dark skin is keeping it warm and not washing it out, so if it starts to feel kinda cold/dead to you, you can try mixing in Druchi Violet again or even Reikland Fleshshade.

Thanks for this advice. The final tip was revelatory to me...keep it warm don’t wash it out. Wouldn’t have thought of a violet was either...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not doing another one of these ever again. :v: probably eventually i'll go back and touch things up further, but it will look good on the table top, it's ready to play, that is all I cared about. This was fun to paint, and this vehicle is super badass. Worth the long wait for it to finally become available. This took me 3 days of painting or about 15 hours of careful attention to detail and it still doesn't match up to what Games Workshop is showing off on their website.