Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Boxman posted:

It blows my mind they keep putting him in catsuits when every time he puts on a jacket, it looks great. Original TAS design, Arkham City, Arkham Knight, all great designs, all very recognizably Riddler (and two of 'em didn't need the domino masks)

I think a lot of writers/artists look at the Riddler like "a guy who thinks he's super smart compared to BATMAN? Pfffhahaha what a dork" and design him that way, as opposed to like BTAS, where he's presented as absolutely the smartest and suavest motherfucker in the room when in his element, but with a Faberge ego and a tendency to fall apart as soon as the tide starts to turn a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I like the idea of a Riddler who actually is demonstrably smarter than Batman in a lot of ways and is crippled by ego/soft-handedness moreso than "a compulsion to get caught" or whatever dumb bullshit that was on about

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Boxman posted:

It blows my mind they keep putting him in catsuits when every time he puts on a jacket, it looks great. Original TAS design, Arkham City, Arkham Knight, all great designs, all very recognizably Riddler (and two of 'em didn't need the domino masks)

Ok but what is your opinion on super buff Riddler from Harley Quinn?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Slashrat posted:

The panel of the Bat Train was all this thread really needed.

I want an entire story of Batman arranging things with the Gotham train system and signalling workers to have overrides in place and a bat-train ready on a siding in case he needs it so he can roll it out and get all the other trains out of the way.

GUYS, IT'S TIME, PROTOCOL BAT-CHOO-ONE HAS BEEN TRIGGERED

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

MikeJF posted:

I want an entire story of Batman arranging things with the Gotham train system and signalling workers to have overrides in place and a bat-train ready on a siding in case he needs it so he can roll it out and get all the other trains out of the way.

GUYS, IT'S TIME, PROTOCOL BAT-CHOO-ONE HAS BEEN TRIGGERED

Why would he use the public transit system? He's a billionaire narcissist, he would just found his own digging company to build propietary tracks.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Kurui Reiten posted:

Riddler ... with a Faberge ego

:discourse:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ponsonby Britt posted:

Why would he use the public transit system? He's a billionaire narcissist, he would just found his own digging company to build propietary tracks.

Yeah but that's Boring.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Red Bones posted:

He needed all that brain meth to come up with a very mediocre crossword puzzle.

turns out being on meth doesn't actually make you smarter

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
See, the problem is that the Riddler picked basically the worst medium to prove himself a genius in. Nobody thinks someone who writes riddles is smart, they either think they're smart for figuring it out, or that the riddle-writer is an idiot because they don't get it.

I've realized the Riddler story I'd want to write: the Riddler versus some dipshits that keep brute-forcing his puzzles because they think they're nonsense.

EDIT: In my mind, it ends in the Riddler committing suicide in a locked room by putting his neck through a noose and standing on a block of ice. After finding the body, it's ruled a murder.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 15, 2020

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My take on The Riddler is that he should never be scary or threatening. He should be a guy with a huge ego who would otherwise be okay except that his bullshit always gets in the way of Batman fighting crime. Basically, how the posted pages paint him.

Also: he should never, ever intentionally hurt people. Maybe one time Batman fails to solve the puzzle and some people die and Riddler is inconsolable because he never actually planned that that would happen

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No idea of source sorry!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

that’s from Batman during the engagement with Catwoman. Batman had this thing where he helped someone in a pocket dimension where they basically fight non-stop against an endless horde of monsters like once a year or every so often. Time however flowed differently in it. So as a gift to the dude (who I think was bound to protect/defend the pocket dimension but had a significant other on Earth) Wonder Woman takes over his spot so she and Bats go while the dude can spend time with his loved one.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Synthbuttrange posted:

BATMAN MURDERS MERCENARY WITH MASSIVE TRANQUILIZER OVERDOSE.

Ehh, Deathstroke has a healing factor. He's probably in more danger from the tranq than if Batman just snapped his neck and threw him in the batmobile's trunk tactical storage compartment.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Yeah but that's Boring.

Just want you to know: I appreciated this.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Cleretic posted:

See, the problem is that the Riddler picked basically the worst medium to prove himself a genius in. Nobody thinks someone who writes riddles is smart, they either think they're smart for figuring it out, or that the riddle-writer is an idiot because they don't get it.

I've realized the Riddler story I'd want to write: the Riddler versus some dipshits that keep brute-forcing his puzzles because they think they're nonsense.

EDIT: In my mind, it ends in the Riddler committing suicide in a locked room by putting his neck through a noose and standing on a block of ice. After finding the body, it's ruled a murder.

I just want you to know that I love and care about you

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Synthbuttrange posted:

BATMAN MURDERS MERCENARY WITH MASSIVE TRANQUILIZER OVERDOSE.
*batman takes off deathstroke's mask "holy poo poo this isn't an elephant at all!" *fumbles for antidote*

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

House of Mystery #15 (1953)

Haunted #25 (1976)

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1 (1995)

Resident Evil #3 (1998)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

thetoughestbean posted:

My take on The Riddler is that he should never be scary or threatening. He should be a guy with a huge ego who would otherwise be okay except that his bullshit always gets in the way of Batman fighting crime. Basically, how the posted pages paint him.

Also: he should never, ever intentionally hurt people. Maybe one time Batman fails to solve the puzzle and some people die and Riddler is inconsolable because he never actually planned that that would happen

My thing about the Riddler that is often forgotten, is that his motivation is going after people who got something but didn't deserve it.

And that's a great motivation that is often forgotten.

Like instead of targeting random people to act as bait for Batman, I think he should go after Trust Fund Millionaires or Russian Oligarchs who got their money purely because they are government ministers.

A huge part about Riddler's character is his belief that Smart People deserve all the Good Things. Like maybe there could be a blind spot that he doesn't see that someone who makes their money from consistent hard work is as "deserving" of wealth as a person who designs a new App.
But he should definitely have a hatred for people who get their rewards from being born to rich parents or winning the lottery.

A plus side to this is that this gives him a reason to hate Bruce Wayne, which is always a good hook in a Batman story.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
In the Riddler versus Elon Musk, are we cheering for Batman to intervene or no?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
As long as one of them stops the other for good, we're coming out on top.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I love the Riddler and I love this conversation about the Riddler but this is the Funny Panels thread so let's try to bring it back around to funny panels, and maybe export Riddler-chat to general chat or the DC thread.

In general I've gotten a few complaints from people who want to use this thread as a resource to look at funny panels, and I do think that a lot of the posts in here would do just as well in general chat. I don't want this to be just an antiseptic archive of panels without context or commentary but we've gone pretty far afield here.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Source?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That feels uncomfortably like Bendis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

That feels uncomfortably like Bendis.

Alex Maleev did the art for His series and I feel like he would draw a better Punisher.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's from the tail end of Rosenberg's recent punisher run I believe

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Punisher #14 (2019)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

You'd think Frank would have heard that those kinds of gods aren't actually imaginary. (Even if Moon Knight is crazy.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prefect posted:

You'd think Frank would have heard that those kinds of gods aren't actually imaginary. (Even if Moon Knight is crazy.)

Frank worked for the literal angels once and decided he didn't like it.

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
What do you mean it's pronouced "numbers"?

Cleretic posted:

Like this?

Impulse #48

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Taking your (secretly) telepathic kid to the pool.

Right to Left

Spy x Family

Numb Three Ers posted:

Like this?

Impulse #48

Most of the panels/pages i've seen with Impulse are good, but for some reason i just really hate his design. And i have no idea why, it's a pretty simple one.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

a kitten posted:

Most of the panels/pages i've seen with Impulse are good, but for some reason i just really hate his design. And i have no idea why, it's a pretty simple one.

I blame the chin thingy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It looked so much better when Ramos was drawing it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I blame the chin thingy.

Why was that such a popular design choice in the 90s?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The comic costume soul patch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Push El Burrito posted:

The comic costume soul patch.

It's more like a chinstrap which is an entirely different form of horrible facial hair!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

TheCenturion posted:

Why is it Batman will cripple a random thug for life, without a second thought, but can be very caring and understanding with his mass-murdering super foes?

Because the rich only consider other rich people to be human.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I don't know what that means but you probably shouldn't say it, Captain.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Vincent posted:

Because the rich only consider other rich people to be human.

:holymoley::wow::capitalism::perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Numb Three Ers posted:

Like this?

Impulse #48

Red and green
Black and white
Walks by day
Runs by night

I’m loving terrible at riddles....