Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Solice Kirsk posted:

"He was gay, Gary Cooper?"

Naooo :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Food Boner posted:

just finished a watch through - tony dies or doesn't in the last scene it doesn't matter he's hosed either way

Watch the show and think about all the mob guys who got shown to have an end. Is there a single one that went out with a happy ending? It doesn't matter what happens in the next 25 seconds or 25 years Tony isn't going to have a good time.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Pope Corky the IX posted:

“You think Ralph has a problem with women?”

“I don’t know Ton’, he did beat one to death for...I forget, what was it?”

Phil: I don't forget.....

Vito: I forgot what we were talking about.

Phil: Me too, what was it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pentyne posted:

Watch the show and think about all the mob guys who got shown to have an end. Is there a single one that went out with a happy ending? It doesn't matter what happens in the next 25 seconds or 25 years Tony isn't going to have a good time.

Carmine Sr. didn't die from violence and it was pretty sudden and he was also pretty old at the time. 'Natural occurrences' is rare for a capo regime, especially one of the Five Families.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tony sees Carmine Sr. in that dream (Test Dream?) and he talks about how lonely he is in the afterlife. Is that just Tony’s fear? That he’ll end up an old broken lonely man? Given how much of his identity he derives from being a big strong masculine figure, I imagine folks who are saying he would be miserable no matter what are right - no amount of therapy, material goods, or family connection has ever satisfied him, and the things he wants are literally impossible to have.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Solice Kirsk posted:

"He was gay, Gary Cooper?"

"Whatever the gently caress happened to Gary Cooper, that's what I'd like to know."

Silvio: (long pause) "...he died."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27KQODo0vXs

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

hi liter posted:

Tony sees Carmine Sr. in that dream (Test Dream?) and he talks about how lonely he is in the afterlife. Is that just Tony’s fear? That he’ll end up an old broken lonely man? Given how much of his identity he derives from being a big strong masculine figure, I imagine folks who are saying he would be miserable no matter what are right - no amount of therapy, material goods, or family connection has ever satisfied him, and the things he wants are literally impossible to have.

Now that I'm Tony's age, I feel like they could have shown a lot more of the wear and tear on his and the other mobsters bodies. I can twist a knee getting out of a car the wrong way or throw my back if I sneeze too hard, both a result of injuries from my life that isn't dominated by violence, stress and partying. Plus Tony's up around 300lbs, I mean that guy's body should be creaking it's way out of bed every morning.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

hi liter posted:

Tony sees Carmine Sr. in that dream (Test Dream?) and he talks about how lonely he is in the afterlife.

“I’m lonely, I miss my Violet”

“What violin?!”

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Another Bill posted:

Now that I'm Tony's age, I feel like they could have shown a lot more of the wear and tear on his and the other mobsters bodies. I can twist a knee getting out of a car the wrong way or throw my back if I sneeze too hard, both a result of injuries from my life that isn't dominated by violence, stress and partying. Plus Tony's up around 300lbs, I mean that guy's body should be creaking it's way out of bed every morning.

Hey, did you know how much Tony used to be able to lift!? Strong as a bull.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
That real life "body count" graphic from the convention that Pope Corky posted and what Pentyne wrote about the lack of happy endings got me to wondering how many deaths there actually were on the series.

I know it was never about that but for a while a lot of people watched it for the Whack of the Week and would do poo poo like have a pool or something so it was interesting and predictable that Chase seemed to lower the body count and overt violence over time as the series progressed.

This says 92 but I don't think that's right since they're listing everyone who was even mentioned on the show (like Gary Cooper and Ernest Hemingway) instead of just characters

https://sopranos.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_deaths#:~:text=A%20the%20following%20is%20a,possibly%2093)%20human%20characters%20died.

This one is better but still not entirely what I'm looking for and says 76, but it's deaths attributable to main characters and includes poo poo we learn about through dialogue and don't see on screen:

https://sopranos.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_deaths_attributed_to_main_characters

I'm trying to find people who died ON THE SHOW who were either mobbed up or directly connected to it. So guys like Detective Vin Makazian would still count as being in the game but probably innocent bystanders wouldn't, like Cossette :). Wracking my brain and I don't remember that many bystanders who got killed. The dude Vito hit with his car, the waiter, the truck driver in S1 (but even he worked for Junior) and ...(?)...someone help me out. I'm probably forgetting a ton of them, but I think what Pentyne offered was on point.

No happy endings in this life. The joint or the grave.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm trying to find people who died ON THE SHOW who were either mobbed up or directly connected to it. So guys like Detective Vin Makazian would still count as being in the game but probably innocent bystanders wouldn't, like Cossette :). Wracking my brain and I don't remember that many bystanders who got killed. The dude Vito hit with his car, the waiter, the truck driver in S1 (but even he worked for Junior) and ...(?)...someone help me out. I'm probably forgetting a ton of them, but I think what Pentyne offered was on point.

The Polish guy Chris kills in ep 1 (at least, we don't know that he's in the mob?) The cyclist Pussy ran over.

The Wipers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

That real life "body count" graphic from the convention that Pope Corky posted and what Pentyne wrote about the lack of happy endings got me to wondering how many deaths there actually were on the series.

I know it was never about that but for a while a lot of people watched it for the Whack of the Week and would do poo poo like have a pool or something so it was interesting and predictable that Chase seemed to lower the body count and overt violence over time as the series progressed.

This says 92 but I don't think that's right since they're listing everyone who was even mentioned on the show (like Gary Cooper and Ernest Hemingway) instead of just characters

https://sopranos.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_deaths#:~:text=A%20the%20following%20is%20a,possibly%2093)%20human%20characters%20died.

This one is better but still not entirely what I'm looking for and says 76, but it's deaths attributable to main characters and includes poo poo we learn about through dialogue and don't see on screen:

https://sopranos.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_deaths_attributed_to_main_characters

Of all the mob guys in Jersey I think the only ones to go out peacefully were Raymond Curto (never got caught as a rat, lived a relatively peaceful life) and Gigi, from a run of the mill heart attack. Everyone else was a consequence of the mob life in some way.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
That guy Vito killed out in the woods when he rear-ended (HELLO) the dude's old Wagoneer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Laterite posted:

That guy Vito killed out in the woods when he rear-ended (HELLO) the dude's old Wagoneer.

I had that one.

Forgot about Chris' sponsor though

"Chris...your'e in the MAFIA!"

"ok..."

*BANG*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Poor bastard wasn't even Chris' sponsor, just a buddy he made in NA who he then got into his debt and forced him to write the script for Cleaver.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Poor bastard wasn't even Chris' sponsor, just a buddy he made in NA who he then got into his debt and forced him to write the script for Cleaver.

Of all the screwed up relationships in the show that was the one that truly felt the most exploitative/abusive given how it ends. He's trying to talk Chris down from his drunken ranting, someone he's tried to avoid as much as possible, as Chris showed up at his door and pushed in so he could have his temper tantrum with a witness. When Chris doesn't hear what he wants, boom headshot.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Xander77 posted:

The Polish guy Chris kills in ep 1 (at least, we don't know that he's in the mob?) The cyclist Pussy ran over.

The Wipers.

Polish guy I think was involved or sounded like he was involved in some other criminal gang/enterprise.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm trying to find people who died ON THE SHOW who were either mobbed up or directly connected to it.

Well this is basically taken from just skimming the wikipedia entry from each episode, but here's a list of murders committed by characters across the seasons, those in italics were directly killed by mobsters but not actually mobbed up themselves or directly connected (as far as I know)

Season 1:
Emil Kolar (by Christopher Moltisanti)
Hector Anthony (truck driver killed by Special K, crewing with Brendan Filone)
Brendan Filone (by Mikey Palmice)
Fabian Petrulio (by Tony Soprano)
Rusty Irish (drugdealer working for Larry Boy Barese, killed by Mikey Palmice)
Gallegos (Colombian drug-dealer, killed by Paulie Gualtieri)
Vin Makazian (suicide after getting caught in a brothel with mobsters)
Donnie Paduana (arranged the failed assassination attempt on Tony Soprano, killed by Mikey Palmice)
William Clayborn (accidentally killed by his partner in the failed assassination attempt on Tony Soprano)
Jimmy Altieri (by Silvio Dante)
Chucky Signore (by Tony Soprano)
Mikey Palmice (by Christopher Moltisanti and Paulie Gaultieri)

Season 2:
Phil Parisi (by Gigi Cestone)
Frederick Capuano (Director of Green Grove Retirement Community, killer unknown, ordered by Tony Soprano)
Jimmy Bones (by Pussy Bonpensiero)
Sean Gismonte (by Christopher Moltisanti during a botched assassination attempt on Christopher)
Matthew Bevilaqua (by Tony Soprano and Pussy Bonpensiero)
Richie Aprile (by Janice Soprano)
Pussy Bonpensiero (by Tony Soprano, Silvio Dante and Paulie Gaultieri)

Season 3:
Mustang Sally (by Bobby Baccalieri Sr)
Carlos (friend of Mustang Sally, killed by Bobby Baccalieri Sr)
Bobby Baccalieri Sr (car crash during coughing fit after leaving the double murder he just committed)
Tracee (bludgeoned to death by Ralphie Cifaretto) - I guess being Ralphie's mistress makes her "directly connected"?
Valery (presumed dead, never seen again, after being beaten and shot by Paulie Gualtieri and Christopher Moltisanti)
Sunshine (card dealer for mob poker games, killed by Jackie Aprile Jr)
Carlo Renzi (by Christopher Moltisanti)
Dino Zerilli (by Christopher Moltisanti and Ally Boy Barese)
Jackie Aprile Jr (by Vito Spatafore)

Season 4:
Detective Lieutenant Barry Haydu (by Christopher Moltisanti for allegedly being the crooked cop who murdered his father)
Ralphie Cifaretto (beaten and strangled to death by Tony Soprano)
Minn Matrone (strangled to death by Paulie Gualtieri)
Credenzo Curtis (killed by Benny Fazio and Petey LaRosa to ensure his silence on an aborted assassination attempt on Carmine Lupertazzi)
Stanley Johnson (killed by Benny Fazio and Petey LaRosa to ensure his silence on an aborted assassination attempt on Carmine Lupertazzi)

Season 5:
Raoul (waiter killed by Paulie Gualtieri and Christopher Moltisanti for complaining about his lovely tip)
Joey Cogo (killed off-screen by unknown killers in the Soprano Crime Family)
Jack Massarone (crooked construction company owner, killed by unknown killer on Tony Soprano's orders for being an FBI informant)
Lorraine Calluzzo (killed by Billy Leotardo)
Jason Evanina (killed by Billy Leotardo or Joey Peeps)
Joey Peeps (killed by Tony Blundetto)
Heather (prostitute with Joey Peeps, killed deliberately and with malice of forethought by Tony Blundetto)
Angelo Garepe (killed by Phil and Billy Leotardo)
Billy Leotardo (killed by Tony Blundetto)
Gilbert Nieves (drug dealer, killed by other drug dealer Matush Giomana in Adriana La Cerva's office)
Adriana La Cerva (killed by Silvio Dante)
Tony Blundetto (killed by Tony Soprano)

Season 6.1:
Teddy Spirodakis (gambling addict killed by Eugene Pontecorvo for failing to pay his debts)
Eugene Pontecorvo (suicide)
Building Superintendent (killed by Colombian Drug Dealer)
Colombian Drug Dealer #1 (killed by Paulie Gualtieri and Cary DiBartolo)
Colombian Drug Dealer #2 (killed by Paulie Gualtieri and Cary DiBartolo)
Rusty Millio (killed by Italian Hitmen arranged by Tony Soprano at John Sacrimoni's request)
Eddie Pietro (Rusty's driver, killed during Rusty's assassination)
Jeep Owner (killed by Vito Spatafore)
Vito Spatafore (tortured and murdered by Fat Dom Gamiello and Gerry Torciano on Phil Leotardo's orders)
Fat Dom Gamiello (murdered by Patsy Parisi and Silvio Dante)

Season 6.2:
René LeCours (ex-husband of sister of prescription drug smuggler, killed by Bobby Baccalieri)
Gerry Torciano (killed by unknown hitman on orders of Doc Santoro)
Doc Santoro and bodyguard (killed by unknown hitmen on orders of Phil Leotardo)
J.T Dolan (killed by Christopher Moltisanti)
Christopher Moltisanti (smothered to death by Tony Soprano)
Burt Gervasi (killed by Silvio Dante)
Yaryna Kastropovic and her father (Phil Leotardo's mistress, killed by Italian Hitmen ordered by Tony Soprano to kill Phil)
Bobby Baccalieri (killed by unknown hitmen on orders of Phil Leotardo)
Phil Leotardo (killed by Walden Belfiore)

It's not an exhaustive list, Silvio for example was shot in the same episode as Bobby and technically is still alive at the end of the series, but with fears he may never regain consciousness etc. Plus there was Gloria Trillo who committed suicide, but her time with Tony was only a tiny part of her life and not the direct reason for her death. Lots of people died of cancer, strokes, old age etc.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 17, 2020

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That's the thing, Email.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

In Czech Republic too we love pork, ever have our saw seh gez?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's odd that the one murder that sticks out to me still is, yes, Paulie Walnuts did in fact suffocate an old woman. There's him being a doofus at the medium's and then there's that.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

The waiter hits me the hardest.

"Don't these people have medicine they're supposed to take?" Dude, you hit him with a brick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

That's the thing, Email.

"That cookie poo poo"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Vichan posted:

The waiter hits me the hardest.

"Don't these people have medicine they're supposed to take?" Dude, you hit him with a brick.

He's still goin', this rear end in a top hat!

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Dawgstar posted:

Hey, did you know how much Tony used to be able to lift!? Strong as a bull.

100 pounds, right over his head!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The list also shows that as much of a gently caress up as Chris could be he looks to have the highest body count in the series and a "little" to his credit unlike most the other mobsters a couple of them were guys who started shooting at him first, even if they were idiots like the wonder boys of Season 2 & 3.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m still about half the thread behind but I just watched 504 with Lorraine’s death and I don’t know if anyone brought this up later in the thread but in The Sopranos Sessions they state that the actress was styled to look like a TV critic who had spent a lot of time complaining that season 4 didn’t have enough violence. Which to me is no kind of excuse for the scenes with that character, but I guess it’s kind of an explanation?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That throws the stuff with Johnny Sack complaining about how she was always demanding people be whacked into an entirely different light, but man knowing that she may have been based on a real person just makes her already pretty gross treatment feel even worse to me.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I hated almost everything about Lorraine but I hated the way they killed her off even more. One of the show's biggest missteps IMO.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

drat..that's Michael Crichton levels of hosed up

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

FWIW I dont think Lorraine looks anything like Roger Ebert.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

That throws the stuff with Johnny Sack complaining about how she was always demanding people be whacked into an entirely different light, but man knowing that she may have been based on a real person just makes her already pretty gross treatment feel even worse to me.

Yeah definitely. Just went back and checked and it was New York Post critic Linda Stasi. Even Sepinwall and Seitz admit it went too far.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Paulie is 100% gonna get in an Edgar Allan Poe situation with that cat

I watched that Today show reunion from a couple years ago recently and wanted to let everyone know that Tony Sirico mentions and then re-iterates that Paulie absolutely killed that cat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"That rat bastard cat is sittin,' STILL SITTIN' on top a' my bust of Frank Sinatra!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Quoth the raven, "She's a whuore!"

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

Bliggers- posted:

I watched that Today show reunion from a couple years ago recently and wanted to let everyone know that Tony Sirico mentions and then re-iterates that Paulie absolutely killed that cat.

Imperioli going out of his way to acknowledge Sirico was a nice thing to see. :unsmith:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Steve Schirripa + Michael Imperioli were on the latest Joe Rogan podcast for those interested/arent too put off by JR

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The latest Talkin' Sopranos is also really good (seems like this might be an evergreen statement) and they also talk a bit about their reactions to learning about Gandolfini's death.

On a happier note, I love how much they are enjoying seeing fresh again Livia's masterful manipulations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I was rewatching a random ep the other day and cracked the gently caress up when Tony called Richie's eyes "Manson lamps".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The latest Talkin' Sopranos is also really good (seems like this might be an evergreen statement) and they also talk a bit about their reactions to learning about Gandolfini's death.

it is but the sound is really low. Does it improve in later episodes?

Podcast is fantastic and thanks for linking it. Looking forward to future ones but I can barely hear it when I'm doing anything else at all,(driving, working, chores), which is when I typically listen to podcasts. Even at full volume it's hard to hear.

2.5 episodes in and it's really cool listening to the actors and the people involved give their thoughts after 100+ pages of us talking poo poo.

Michael Imperioli I swear to god comes off as the coolest and nicest guy every time I see/hear him interviewed .

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 18, 2020