Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A Sometimes Food posted:

He looks like the farmer from Courage the Cowardly Dog to me.

Which owns.

Guess he shouldn't get any +10 weapons this run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFREs4GaJVU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Sir Tonk posted:

Seems like a bunch of people are playing DSIII again now that it's cheap and that announcement finally happened. Been helping a bunch of people beat Vordt and have waited like a minute each time.

The announcement got me to pick this back up after starting it and then dropping it for Sekiro last year. I put my sign down next to Vordt after beating him and immediately got summoned in to fight the other area boss that I didn't even know about. I hope that my panic rolling was a useful distraction for the 30 seconds I stayed alive.

I had fun cooping in Bloodborne, but DSIII feels so unnatural to me in comparison that I never feel competent enough to help out. Even DSI combat felt better, somehow. I'm still enjoying it because I don't really play these games for the combat, but I'm really hoping that something will click soon and I'll stop feeling like I'm trying to beat enemies who can spam infinite combo strings while my ankles are tied together.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm worried that the movement will be off in the remake. The unlocked movement feels fundamentally similar in DeS, DS1, DS3 and Bloodborne in a way that makes me think they literally reused the code for it. This is something I notice a ton and can literally be a dealbreaker for me. The same thing happened with Tony Hawk HD -- the games felt fundamentally similar all the way from Pro Skater 1 to Proving Ground, and Tony Hawk HD just felt off. Same thing might happen with the new Tony Hawk remake actually.

It's Bluepoint making it, does anyone know how the movement felt in the Shadow of the Colossus remake? That's a very movement-focused game but at the same time the movement is intentionally clumsy so IDK if small differences would be easy to feel, unlike the very precise movement of Souls

feelix fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 15, 2020

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

feelix posted:

I'm worried that the movement will be off in the remake. The unlocked movement feels fundamentally similar in DeS, DS1, DS3 and Bloodborne in a way that makes me think they literally reused the code for it. This is something I notice a ton and can literally be a dealbreaker for me. The same thing happened with Tony Hawk HD -- the games felt fundamentally similar all the way from Pro Skater 1 to Proving Ground, and Tony Hawk HD just felt off. Same thing might happen with the new Tony Hawk remake actually.

It's Bluepoint making it, does anyone know how the movement felt in the Shadow of the Colossus remake? That's a very movement-focused game but at the same time the movement is intentionally clumsy so IDK if small differences would be easy to feel, unlike the very precise movement of Souls

I might be wrong but I’m assuming bluepoint is just using a modified dark souls 3 engine for this. If that is correct I would imagine movement is going to be consistent with those games.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 15, 2020

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

GutBomb posted:

I might be wrong but I’m assuming bluepoint is just using a modified dark souls 3 engine for this. If that is correct I would imagine movement is going to be consistent with those games.

I can't say i am exited for roll spams 2.

But i guess this would fix some "problem" with a remake. After Bloodborne and Sekiro the movement in Demon's would feel incredibly slow and janky.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

OutofSight posted:

I can't say i am exited for roll spams 2.

But i guess this would fix some "problem" with a remake. After Bloodborne and Sekiro the movement in Demon's would feel incredibly slow and janky.

DeS isnt particularly clunky game compared to Dark Souls games tho. In fact it feels very good considering it predates Dark Souls.

Bloodborne and Sekiro are very different tho.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I would say Bloodborne feels much more similar to Souls than to Sekiro. Also roll spams are not a function of the engine, it's a matter of iframes and stamina cost and equip burden, there's no reason why a game on the DS3 engine can't have the same exact same rolling as DeS

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Esme posted:

The announcement got me to pick this back up after starting it and then dropping it for Sekiro last year. I put my sign down next to Vordt after beating him and immediately got summoned in to fight the other area boss that I didn't even know about. I hope that my panic rolling was a useful distraction for the 30 seconds I stayed alive.

I had fun cooping in Bloodborne, but DSIII feels so unnatural to me in comparison that I never feel competent enough to help out. Even DSI combat felt better, somehow. I'm still enjoying it because I don't really play these games for the combat, but I'm really hoping that something will click soon and I'll stop feeling like I'm trying to beat enemies who can spam infinite combo strings while my ankles are tied together.

It's just a weird feeling of combat for me too. Out of all the soulsborne games, I like Dark Souls 3 the least because of this issue. I guess you learn to live with it. I kind of wish I had a gaming worthy PC so I could play the Cinders mod which seems to give you a lot more mobility.

In any case, I beat Dark Souls 3 this morning, so I guess I am going to attempt the DLCs. Picked the Darkness ending.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone playing the Cinders mod online? How active is it? I don't care about my pc account getting softbanned since if I really want to play vanilla I have the game on PS4.

I don't even care that much about coop. I miss all the bloodstains and messages. The family share trick doesn't work anymore. They removed it like a week ago

e: oh weird family sharing was reenabled

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 17, 2020

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Esme posted:

It's kinda annoying that people are pulling summons from right in front of vordt's door for the other fight.

Like, if I wanted to help you with that fight I'd put the sign in front of the other door. I don't want to watch you get your rear end kicked.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
summoning to beat dancer low level seems like it would be a good idea until you actually try it.

just get a dark hand instead people!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

GutBomb posted:

I don't think so. For one thing, the Dark Souls 3 engine is FromSoftware's engine, and they have nothing to do with this project. But aside from that, Bluepoint have their own in-house Bluepoint Engine that they've used for many of their games including Shadow of the Colossus. From what I understand, the SotC remake is based on the original game code with various parts of it replaced by their own engine for stuff like graphics and input, so I think Demon's Souls is likely going to be a similar story. I wouldn't expect the core gameplay feel to change much, as it's likely still going to be some version of the original code running underneath for things like combat and animations.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I started Dark Souls: Remastered on the Switch and...
- wait how do you beat Asylum Demon with only a broken weapon--ooooooooooooooooh (after 5 deaths)
- enemies are slower, which is nice I guess. oh wait I'm slower too
- what the gently caress it's a boulder
- that's a lot of Estus at the start
- wait there is no fast travel??

I rolled a Knight. Hoping to get a Claymore soon.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Schneider Heim posted:

Zweihander right there in the Shrine :fyadride:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Schneider Heim posted:

I started Dark Souls: Remastered on the Switch and...
- wait how do you beat Asylum Demon with only a broken weapon--ooooooooooooooooh (after 5 deaths)
- enemies are slower, which is nice I guess. oh wait I'm slower too
- what the gently caress it's a boulder
- that's a lot of Estus at the start
- wait there is no fast travel??

Dark Souls thread

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I played through DS3 once on release and didn't really care for it. Tried a couple more runs immediately after but didn't bother completing them. Forgot almost everything about the game over the years so it seemed like a good time to jump back in to give it another playthrough with the DLC. I found it significantly more enjoyable than last time but it's still my least favorite of the series. A bunch of scattered thoughts:

The amount of bonfires in this game borders on comical. Pretty sure there are places where I could fatroll from one bonfire to another on a single stamina bar. That bit after Wolnir where you have 3 bonfires with a whopping single non-respawning enemy between all of them feels like a parody. I ran out of estus 2 times over the entire game. Once when I cleared the entirety of Irithyll Dungeon without resting, and once on Gael. Might as well just give you infinite flask uses.

Miyazaki must have absolutely loved streamer reactions to people having a slime fall on their head at the start of the Depths and decided to make a game based entirely around that moment. I'm absolutely shocked whenever I pick up an item and it isn't a mimic, an ambush, or the floor falling out from under you.

Friede and Gael were both excellent fights. Demon Prince was fun too. Dancer is still the coolest looking boss in the series.

On the other hand, Midir is possibly the least enjoyable content in souls history. I've cleared every fight in the series, even those 2 loving cats at the end of Awful Snow Hell in DS2, but after dying 4 times to Midir I decided, "nah". Rather just finish the game. It's some of the worst aspects of bad souls bosses combined, with all of their health totals combined as well.

This game was much easier this time around and I think it is 100% thanks to using 2H hammers/axes and fighting aggressively. Going in there with confidence that you will dodge attacks rather than keeping your spacing and being timid works so much better. It's not even necessarily the damage of the weapon, though that can help. It's more about the playstyle.

Like, I accidentally went into the Oceiros fight with a freshly dropped Great Mace +0 instead of my Heavy Great Mace +7 without realizing. The whole time I was thinking "this is it. It's finally happened. Miyazaki has lost his goddamn mind" as I chipped away for 110 damage a swing. Some say I am still fighting him to this day. But I still took him down first try just because that sort of aggressive playstyle works, regardless of how much damage you're doing. My first time through the game I died to Dancer around 30 times. It was awful. This time it took 1 attempt. The only bosses (Midir aside) that killed me more than twice were Pontiff, Nameless King, and Gael, which took around 7 deaths each. A far cry from eating poo poo for hours like I did on Pontiff/Dancer on my original playthrough.

Rolling looks pretty silly inherently but this game takes it to new levels with the amount of rolls you need to spam to avoid attacks. I feel like I'm gearing up for a Sonic spin dash whenever I'm dodging through some combos.

You know what the final DLC to this beloved series needs to give it a proper sendoff? Two loving swamps. Can't wait for more swamps in the DeS remake. I'm all for diversity in the workplace but I think that Fromsoft hiring Shrek as their lead level designer was a mistake.

The input buffer in this game drove me absolutely insane. You dodge an attack a millisecond too late and get hit, which is fine. But your character picks themselves back up and THEN dodges a full 1.5-2 seconds later when you haven't touched anything in the interim. With the speed of this game it is the absolute worst. Nameless King got around 5 kills in to this alone because he never stops attacking, so a forced mistimed dodge means you're just going to get hit again.

Ending felt pretty anticlimactic. You kill Gael and then...nothing happens. Warp back to Firelink and take down Soul of Cinder who is a trivial joke by this point. Here's a 20 second cutscene that's tough to care about.

Despite having generally great bosses, I've come to the conclusion that I don't actually care about boss fights that much which is one of the main reasons DS3 (and Sekiro) didn't resonate with me. I enjoy everything in between much more, and I found most of that lacking in this game. The linearity, the constant bonfires robbing all tension, the 20-hit combo enemies that you need to stunlock before they can stunlock you.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 17, 2020

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Just picked this back up after giving it a fairly long break when I hit a brick wall at the two princes. Still had trouble with them so I decided to go to the garden and push through Oceiros and the Untended Graves.

One of the things I really like about 3 is that it is frequently as much of a horror game as it is a fantasy/action one. All of the DS games do this to an extent but they really went all out with this one and you can tell they did this right after Bloodborne.

Untended Graves is exemplary of the larger horror focus as it's entirely designed to be unsettling for the player by making them feel unsafe in the most familiar place in the game. That they manage to accomplish this mostly by just turning the lights off is impressive.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Vargs posted:

Ending felt pretty anticlimactic. You kill Gael and then...nothing happens. Warp back to Firelink and take down Soul of Cinder who is a trivial joke by this point. Here's a 20 second cutscene that's tough to care about.

The real ending to the DLCs is when you go talk to the painter girl after beating Gael.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica

Flying Zamboni posted:

Untended Graves is exemplary of the larger horror focus as it's entirely designed to be unsettling for the player by making them feel unsafe in the most familiar place in the game. That they manage to accomplish this mostly by just turning the lights off is impressive.

So true. When it finally dawned on me where I was as I approached bizarro Firelink, it felt so unsettling. Walking around inside was v spooky.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Vargs posted:

Miyazaki must have absolutely loved streamer reactions to people having a slime fall on their head at the start of the Depths and decided to make a game based entirely around that moment. I'm absolutely shocked whenever I pick up an item and it isn't a mimic, an ambush, or the floor falling out from under you.
????

????????

are you sure you didn't play some sort of rear end in a top hat mod? like just for starters there's about fifteen mimics in the game or whatever, which is roughly the same amount as were in DS1

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Maybe but if so there's a lot less chests in general because 9/10 were mimics

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

what is this ds3 mimic edition that everyone but me has

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's not like it's difficult to tell which chests are mimics. They're all surrounded by soapstone messages warning you and are visibly breathing.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Necrothatcher posted:

It's not like it's difficult to tell which chests are mimics. They're all surrounded by soapstone messages warning you and are visibly breathing.

Also this applies

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

In other Dark Souls games, you can come up with fun phrases like "chain's away, no mimics today" to help you discern whether or not a chest is dangerous.

In DS3, the applicable phrase is "it's a mimic".

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Mimics are fun to kill because they move like such goofballs and they’re just big monsters with treasure chests for heads #lorefacts

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
There's a billion mimics in DS3 endgame and I fully get the complaint, like the very first chest in the game is a mimic, that is 100% a deliberate thing for veterans to lol at (I did), but it does get a little tired at the end (there's how many, three, just in Irithyll Dungeon?) and by that point you should easily be able to take them out before they even get up, so it's pointless.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

There's a billion mimics in DS3 endgame and I fully get the complaint, like the very first chest in the game is a mimic, that is 100% a deliberate thing for veterans to lol at (I did), but it does get a little tired at the end (there's how many, three, just in Irithyll Dungeon?) and by that point you should easily be able to take them out before they even get up, so it's pointless.

yes but sometimes that grab chomp gently caress happens and again it's a lol
one of my favourite ones is that one in Sen's when u take the deathlift down, awesome placement

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Vargs posted:

In other Dark Souls games, you can come up with fun phrases like "chain's away, no mimics today" to help you discern whether or not a chest is dangerous.

In DS3, the applicable phrase is "it's a mimic".

Mine - in reference to the chain itself is: "if it's a ring, do your thing"

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Sleekly posted:

yes but sometimes that grab chomp gently caress happens and again it's a lol
one of my favourite ones is that one in Sen's when u take the deathlift down, awesome placement
DS2's mimics own the most because you can get eaten while standing to the side of them. I love DS2 and think most "lol hitbox" moments are a little exaggerated, but that one's severe horseshit. Otoh you can't blitz down a mimic from full for most of the game because of that so it's as usual a land of contrasts

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

DS2's mimics own the most because you can get eaten while standing to the side of them. I love DS2 and think most "lol hitbox" moments are a little exaggerated, but that one's severe horseshit. Otoh you can't blitz down a mimic from full for most of the game because of that so it's as usual a land of contrasts

Bad grab attack hitboxes are a staple of the souls series and I hope the demon remake doesn’t fix them.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

hanales posted:

Bad grab attack hitboxes are a staple of the souls series and I hope the demon remake doesn’t fix them.

I bet they couldn't even if they tried...
That and the question how good katanas will be in this iteration of the series. Sweet sweet hanzo-steel :ninja:

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jun 18, 2020

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

hanales posted:

If DS3 is lacking one thing, it's that the giant crystal lizards don't have a critically damaging move with a completely bullshit hitbox that catches you out from visually safe positions. Fighting them just feels so fair and reasonable.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Sakurazuka posted:

Maybe but if so there's a lot less chests in general because 9/10 were mimics

There are exactly 0 chests in both DLC total and it's very funny to me

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fuckwolf posted:

Mimics are fun to kill because they move like such goofballs and they’re just big monsters with treasure chests for heads #lorefacts

drat i didnt know vaati posted on sa

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Im doing a heavily modded run (Cinders, basically everything that will work with cinders, and making my own spells and weapons for shits and giggles)

I'm looking at the various weapon and armour mods on the nexus, and it's wild to me there isnt already a FF7R Buster Sword mod lol

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That's because final Fantasy is garbage and Souls is good

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

codo27 posted:

That's because final Fantasy is garbage and Souls is good

actually both own

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could get the Jojo mod to work with cinders, but CE keeps spitting an error. What are you using alongside Cinders? I thought mostly only texture replaces were compatible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Moola posted:

actually both own