Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

I'm making a point that your dumbass is incapable of listening and had you from the beginning maybe you could have positioned yourself well. You have an opportunity to again but instead you do what you wana do. So gently caress it you go do your thing, and I'll just chill in this thread and make fun of you and the goodwill of goons trying to help you while you ignore them.

You obviously misunderstand my goals, which is the point of the thread. I have always made it clear that buying a home was a big part of this, all the way back to 2013 (I just checked).

And again, I asked what the hivemind thinks a good alternative is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Knyteguy posted:

You obviously misunderstand my goals, which is the point of the thread. I have always made it clear that buying a home was a big part of this, all the way back to 2013 (I just checked).

And again, I asked what the hivemind thinks a good alternative is.

Sit the gently caress down shut the gently caress up stop spending money and save it instead. Come back when you have 20% ready for a down payment on a house and no debt.

jesus the gently caress christ

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Veskit posted:

Sit the gently caress down shut the gently caress up stop spending money and save it instead. Come back when you have 20% ready for a down payment on a house and no debt.

jesus the gently caress christ

There's the positivity you needed!

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
At least you're not talking about buying a house in Stockton or wherever again. I guess if you make a budget and stick to it to get that down payment, then buy that house? But you could have done that before the whole RV thing, so who knows where you'll be at in two more years.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Wasting my time being semi-nice, but:

Knyteguy posted:

I want my son to be able to grow up in a community and set of schools, and not have to move around.
How would renting prevent any of that? You know you don't have to move every X years even if a rental gives you the flexibility to do so, right? And "community" is what you make of it - there's a shitload of people in houses who are only vaguely aware of who their neighbors are or what's going on in the wider community. Buying a house doesn't mean your life will suddenly snap into the 2.5 Kids, A Dog, And A White Picket Fence image society has tied to one.

quote:

Plus rentals are expensive as poo poo here ($2,000+ and rising for a 3BR in a place with even OK schools) and we need the room now that my wife and I both work remotely for the foreseeable future.
You realize rent is your maximum cost per month, while mortgage+insurance+property taxes+HOA(if applicable) are minimum costs, right? Having an expensive repair pop up while you don't have the savings to cover it is a good way to rapidly accumulate a lot of debt.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

We can afford a house and retirement, fun money, and saving even discounting the likelihood of a house actually being economically beneficial based on my metro area's high rents. I didn't work so hard to this point in my life to never reap the benefits.

People in this forum like to be overly combative, but come on. You've already been reaping benefits and spending money, that's what the RV and truck adventure was, right? Don't act like you've been living like a pauper. If you want to buy a house, then save up the money and make sure that you can actually stick to a budget for a year or more without buying large ticket things. You can always rent a house in the meantime.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Inept posted:

People in this forum like to be overly combative, but come on. You've already been reaping benefits and spending money, that's what the RV and truck adventure was, right? Don't act like you've been living like a pauper. If you want to buy a house, then save up the money and make sure that you can actually stick to a budget for a year or more without buying large ticket things. You can always rent a house in the meantime.

Not to mention, KG is 10000000% convinced that he can fix his money problems, or be happy, but never both at the same time. For as long as he's been posting money threads, he's been whipping between extremes of "I'll do all this responsible savings stuff! Look how grownup I am!" then a few months later it's "I've been making myself miserable all this time, I deserve [expensive item or lifestyle change]".

He did the same thing when he moved into a cheap apartment, then broke his lease to rent a house, then wanted to be closer to his mom, then away from his mom so he bought the RV, then back with his mom, then away from his mom requiring the apartment, and now he wants a house. There were also a few trucks & other big boy toys in there, right?

He makes bad choices with his money that stress him out then goes on a major money crash diet and stresses himself out more then blows a bunch of money to alleviate his stress. Rinse & repeat.

Buy a house if you want to buy a house, your mind is made up, you "deserve" it, whatever. But think long and hard about the circumstances that lead you to repeatedly uprooting your life for the next Thing That Will Make It All Better, because so far, none of those things have actually made it all better, or you wouldn't still be chasing the high.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Inept posted:

yeah this is pretty much spot on

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

April posted:

Not to mention, KG is 10000000% convinced that he can fix his money problems, or be happy, but never both at the same time. For as long as he's been posting money threads, he's been whipping between extremes of "I'll do all this responsible savings stuff! Look how grownup I am!" then a few months later it's "I've been making myself miserable all this time, I deserve [expensive item or lifestyle change]".

He did the same thing when he moved into a cheap apartment, then broke his lease to rent a house, then wanted to be closer to his mom, then away from his mom so he bought the RV, then back with his mom, then away from his mom requiring the apartment, and now he wants a house. There were also a few trucks & other big boy toys in there, right?

He makes bad choices with his money that stress him out then goes on a major money crash diet and stresses himself out more then blows a bunch of money to alleviate his stress. Rinse & repeat.

Buy a house if you want to buy a house, your mind is made up, you "deserve" it, whatever. But think long and hard about the circumstances that lead you to repeatedly uprooting your life for the next Thing That Will Make It All Better, because so far, none of those things have actually made it all better, or you wouldn't still be chasing the high.

Well that kind of has to do with the medication I've been on that I previously mentioned. It's definitely helped stress spending. In fact since I've started it I've also been sober, which is over 6 months now. In the past few months I've even made friends which I haven't really had since all my high school buddies moved away in my early 20s. They're not drinking buddies either which are always easy to find but not people who stick around when you're sober. Oh and I'm also down 70 lbs.

I learned a lot from that RV trip you're right; things like you can't run from your problems. I was frankly fairly miserable on the RV trip and that was all I wanted for a good 18+ months. We did some very enjoyable things sure - a few of which I've shared - but I wasn't happy. My anxiety has been crippling me for many years (longer than my decade of marriage) and I'm feeling a lot better without it.

What I'm more focused on now is being a good charitable member of my community, family, and workplace. My ultimate life goals have gone from being able to retire @ 45 (which lol at this point) to being a great dad, husband, brother, and neighbor. Stability has become important to me. I want my son to grow up and go to school with friends that he may continue to know as an adult. I want my son to go to good schools and get a good career and have an easier chance at happiness than my wife and I did.

I'll go more into my family's goals/other replies later - it's the weekend.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Well that kind of has to do with the medication I've been on that I previously mentioned. It's definitely helped stress spending. In fact since I've started it I've also been sober, which is over 6 months now. In the past few months I've even made friends which I haven't really had since all my high school buddies moved away in my early 20s. They're not drinking buddies either which are always easy to find but not people who stick around when you're sober. Oh and I'm also down 70 lbs.

I learned a lot from that RV trip you're right; things like you can't run from your problems. I was frankly fairly miserable on the RV trip and that was all I wanted for a good 18+ months. We did some very enjoyable things sure - a few of which I've shared - but I wasn't happy. My anxiety has been crippling me for many years (longer than my decade of marriage) and I'm feeling a lot better without it.

What I'm more focused on now is being a good charitable member of my community, family, and workplace. My ultimate life goals have gone from being able to retire @ 45 (which lol at this point) to being a great dad, husband, brother, and neighbor. Stability has become important to me. I want my son to grow up and go to school with friends that he may continue to know as an adult. I want my son to go to good schools and get a good career and have an easier chance at happiness than my wife and I did.

Signing up for 30 years of debt when you STILL haven't figured out budgeting & living within your means is the opposite of stability.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

First thread was what, 7 years ago at this point?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Hey KG I know it's hard to internalize stuff that doesn't line up with your own feelings, but seriously dude from the outside this cycle of

find big thing that will make it all "better"

find reasons to justify this step making it all "better"

push back against voices saying this will not make it all "better"

go disappear and do the thing that will make it all "better"

come back and tell everyone "it did make it all better and was completely worth it, but now I'm ready to hunker down and work hard"

later admit "my anxiety didn't let me even enjoy the thing that was supposed to make it all better"

but "this new thing WILL make it all better, because things are different this time"

is pretty clear. I'm rooting for you bud, but this ain't it.

And honestly, I think these threads are part of it too. I think it helps you get into an underdog-type position in your thinking. If people are against you, you're driven to prove them wrong. Idk though, that's just spitballing. It just lines up with the cycle you're in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I do think there's a difference between trying random poo poo and getting on medication and getting sober. Good for you, KG.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
getting on medication that stops the feelings that lead to the behavior is great but you've still got the habit of the behavior itself because you've done it for like a decade, and the medication won't fix that. you have to actually be mindful of it and take care of it yourself, and you're not doing that right now. it'll take a while.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

getting on medication that stops the feelings that lead to the behavior is great but you've still got the habit of the behavior itself because you've done it for like a decade, and the medication won't fix that. you have to actually be mindful of it and take care of it yourself, and you're not doing that right now. it'll take a while.

Yeah. I agree. It IS a good thing that the medication is helping. It totally sucks that anxiety got in the way of enjoying the RV time because hell, if you're going to do something huge like that, you should at least be able to enjoy it. The cycle getting better each time doesn't make it not a cycle though.

edit: I'd be super bummed for KG if his thread in 2025 includes "I felt less anxiety about the house than I did about the RV, but I still didn't get to enjoy it"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

He'll get on better meds and try to relive the RV experience in a way he can enjoy it.

Sorry Yall I lost all patience after seeing how easy these things are to fix personally and Zaurg.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks Veskit I have fixed a ton of poo poo thanks to BFC guidance. I think KG has a chance still.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Haifisch posted:

Wasting my time being semi-nice, but:

How would renting prevent any of that? You know you don't have to move every X years even if a rental gives you the flexibility to do so, right? And "community" is what you make of it - there's a shitload of people in houses who are only vaguely aware of who their neighbors are or what's going on in the wider community. Buying a house doesn't mean your life will suddenly snap into the 2.5 Kids, A Dog, And A White Picket Fence image society has tied to one.

And house ownership doesn't mean your kid will go to the same schools they're zoned for when you buy.

Where I live seems to rezone every 7 years. This time they also balanced the schools as well as they could along racial, gender and income lines. Some of the kids within blocks of one elementary school are being sent to an elementary a few miles away.

Your school of choice may have to close. It may redistrict. It may reclassify.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

zaurg posted:

Thanks Veskit I have fixed a ton of poo poo thanks to BFC guidance. I think KG has a chance still.

You still have yet to shut the gently caress up sooo there's room for improvement. KG is light-years ahead of you, you'd spend 10 years in an RV with a missing wheel defending its purpose as a great place to live for you and your kids to live. But enough about you.

KG make sure you can afford the house and also putting 15%+ into retirement then budget fun money and stuff... You're behind get ahead.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Knyteguy posted:

Also, on re-reading this, look at the paragraph I bolded. HAVING A HOUSE IS NOT ON THAT LIST AT ALL. You want intangible things, but keep convincing yourself that buying a tangible thing will create or accelerate your attainment of those intangibles. Stop it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I recommend that you work towards those goals without buying a house first. At some point, it may make sense for you to buy a house. That time isn't right now. You can still save up money for it, though! You will need a poo poo load of money. The way to identify the various amounts of money you will need (for your retirement, for your child's education, for your potential housebuying, for your charitable giving) is through planning. The way to obtain that money is through budgeting.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Just in case - when I said we want to buy a house I meant work towards buying one. The plan is to save somewhere between $20,000 and $36,000 for a down payment, get my $40,000 inheritance, and start looking/doing pre-approval paperwork Julyish of 2021. I like the $36,000 number much more because we'll be able to pick up some furniture and have money for closing costs/potential repairs that come up. Like when I mentioned we'd be renewing our lease for 12 months that still stands.

I completely understand that a house isn't going to fix anything. I thought the RV would by allowing us to get out of dodge, but the house is a place to live. We don't plan on leaving the city again, at least until my son is out of high school (13+ years) at a minimum, so to me a house makes sense. I am working towards those things I mentioned. I think that's one of the reasons I/we have been making friends lately.

So basically what I want/plan to do is:
- Make a budget to take effect July.
-- This will include automatic IRA contributions on my paycheck dates to match our retirement goals.
--- I need my wife to do a 401k rollover. I'll continue to bug her to take care of this so her previous 401k goes to Vanguard.
-- This will include automatic house down payment savings transfers.

I hadn't thought of things like school rezoning, but it doesn't detract me on the house stuff.

If y'all think we need to pay off the truck first then I'm good with that, but it means we're trading it in as soon as we're out from under the loan and buying a Honda or something in cash ASAP. This sets us back another 6 months or more but that's cool with me. We want a house but I've become a little more patient than I used to be.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Price range for a house?
Estimated time to save 20k? 36k?
What percentage are you aiming to put down?

I recently (2 months ago) became a home owner for the first time.

I can make an effort-post or answer questions if you have any, but basically:

- It's going to cost more than you think.
- It's going to take longer than you think.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
please explain the benefit of buying a house in the scenario you've described because so far your reasoning seems to be "idk lol id like to own a house" and there's really no reason to own over rent, especially if your time frame is "idk at least three years"

i havent followed you since you started posting here so im sure people are seeing patterns im not but even i can see that you generally go "hey this would be cool for Z reason" and then ignore reasons A-Y about why its a terrible idea and i suspect this is another situation like that

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

How much is in the house fund now?

I'm looking back at one of the graphics you posted earlier.

The graph shows that $500,000 is at the top of your house budget.

What are you looking for in a house? Do want a yard? How many animals do you still have? Is is a priority for your child to play in the backyard? Fiddling around on Realtor, a lot sized at even a half-acre is almost always more expensive than $500,000. Half-acre lots aren't huge.

Would you live in a condo or is that too much like apartment living? How about a townhome? What's the parking situation? Street parking? Garage? Competition for parking spots?

Would the neighborhood require an HOA?

Do you want something ready to move in or are you fine putting work into it? How important is it to have updated appliances and cabinets? I know jackall about Reno, but in my neck of the woods, even those two factors add a big chunk of money to the cost.

You can't be impulsive about house buying. Well, you can, but it's a lot harder and a lot more expensive to change your mind.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Budgeting dependent on inheritance seems only slightly wiser than budgeting dependent on scratch-offs or bitcoin.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KG don't forget to do the "how much money will you need in retirement" exercise. You can do one with house and one without, that's pretty straightforward. Hell you can do it in 2020 dollars to make it easier.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

What 40k inheritance? Do you just have money siting somewhere that's yours but not touching it thats good but it's also a windfall, is it sustainable to keep saving or is this something you don't have and are hoping it comes through from the sale or whatever from something else. ?

For your house.. do not go in absolutely broke / zero dollars ready.

you need x% down-payment, on top of that you're paying all kinds of money out the rear end.. I think our down payment was 5% and we ended up paying nearly 12% in cash for all the other poo poo like taxes, bullshit bank fees etc.

Also plan to have like 5-8k MINIMUM for poo poo you need to do to house like paint or replace that one thing that's pissing oyu off.. or get a new rug because some dude pissed on it and it really tied the room together.
not counting the furnace replacement costs that we knew about.. I think I ended up dropping around 3-5k just on random poo poo and tools for the house and we're not close to being done with stuff yet. Every trip to LowesDepot is $100 even that trip for $8 worth of screws comes with.. Oh WE need that.. and Oh we needed that too at some point.. and bam cart is now full of $100 worth random poo poo. This will go on for months. $15 cheap blinds don't sound expensive.. until you realize that some of your windows need $30 cheap blinds because they're a hosed up size.. and that you have 20 windows in your house you want blinds on so $15 blinds costs $300

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
My wife and I are still trying to figure a lot of this stuff out!

tater_salad posted:

What 40k inheritance? Do you just have money siting somewhere that's yours but not touching it thats good but it's also a windfall, is it sustainable to keep saving or is this something you don't have and are hoping it comes through from the sale or whatever from something else. ?

For your house.. do not go in absolutely broke / zero dollars ready.

you need x% down-payment, on top of that you're paying all kinds of money out the rear end.. I think our down payment was 5% and we ended up paying nearly 12% in cash for all the other poo poo like taxes, bullshit bank fees etc.

Also plan to have like 5-8k MINIMUM for poo poo you need to do to house like paint or replace that one thing that's pissing oyu off.. or get a new rug because some dude pissed on it and it really tied the room together.
not counting the furnace replacement costs that we knew about.. I think I ended up dropping around 3-5k just on random poo poo and tools for the house and we're not close to being done with stuff yet. Every trip to LowesDepot is $100 even that trip for $8 worth of screws comes with.. Oh WE need that.. and Oh we needed that too at some point.. and bam cart is now full of $100 worth random poo poo. This will go on for months. $15 cheap blinds don't sound expensive.. until you realize that some of your windows need $30 cheap blinds because they're a hosed up size.. and that you have 20 windows in your house you want blinds on so $15 blinds costs $300

Inheritance:
So my grandma has had a standing offer for a decade, we can either wait until she passes to give us 40k which is already willed and in each of our names in separate joint accounts - we all have the paperwork - or if we meet her criteria we can use it for a down payment for a house. The criteria is $20,000 saved and proof we're out of debt. She said the car note is fine though she'd prefer that be gone as well.

So $60,000 down at a minimum. If for some reason this arrangement falls through then we'll just save whatever we need on top of our savings.

The uh rug thing is oddly specific.

spinst posted:

Price range for a house?
Estimated time to save 20k? 36k?
What percentage are you aiming to put down?

I recently (2 months ago) became a home owner for the first time.

I can make an effort-post or answer questions if you have any, but basically:

- It's going to take longer than you think.

Still trying to figure all of this out. I'm giving myself a couple of weeks to do the math so we can figure out a more permanent budget. The 'budget' has always been focused on the now and very near future so this is a little bit new to me.

My biggest question is what questions should I have?

Thumbtacks posted:

please explain the benefit of buying a house in the scenario you've described because so far your reasoning seems to be "idk lol id like to own a house" and there's really no reason to own over rent, especially if your time frame is "idk at least three years"

i havent followed you since you started posting here so im sure people are seeing patterns im not but even i can see that you generally go "hey this would be cool for Z reason" and then ignore reasons A-Y about why its a terrible idea and i suspect this is another situation like that

It's not IDK at all. We want to be able to build up some equity, have the freedom to say run wires and outlets where I want, paint rooms, have a customized art studio for my wife, try our hand at backyard chickens, my wife and I enjoy gardening and landscaping. Home theater is a hobby of mine (super budget [read: free] components right now, but eventually) with in-ceiling speakers and weatherproof outdoor speakers connected to a hub. I love grilling and barbecue so I want to hand build a brick pizza oven and have some sort of outdoor kitchen, I'm a software developer so I love the idea of doing home automation; I'm renting now I can't exactly add a Ring doorbell and home security suite to an apartment, or a smart thermostat, or automated blinds, or solar panels, or create a hand built arcade cabinet running emulators because gently caress moving that, etc. When renting I can't change the flooring and I have family who own flooring companies so it's just material cost not even labor for floors that my wife and I want.

The reason I'm hesitant to share these things is because BFC can lean a little far on the side of pragmatism, ignoring benefits we would personally get from these things, because well frankly none of you are us.

I think when we really figured out we wanted a house of our own is when we rented a house a couple years ago. We always had this 'if we owned this place we'd do this' mentality. And we did do a bit of landscaping but I wasn't exactly going to finish the second garage/workshop (so many critters/bugs died in there because it wasn't finished). That was our home trial, and we loved it. However we weren't free to even add a removable lattice feature to the front yard, let alone cut out some of the wall so the kitchen was more open.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

How much is in the house fund now?

I'm looking back at one of the graphics you posted earlier.

The graph shows that $500,000 is at the top of your house budget.

What are you looking for in a house? Do want a yard? How many animals do you still have? Is is a priority for your child to play in the backyard? Fiddling around on Realtor, a lot sized at even a half-acre is almost always more expensive than $500,000. Half-acre lots aren't huge.

Would you live in a condo or is that too much like apartment living? How about a townhome? What's the parking situation? Street parking? Garage? Competition for parking spots?

Would the neighborhood require an HOA?

Do you want something ready to move in or are you fine putting work into it? How important is it to have updated appliances and cabinets? I know jackall about Reno, but in my neck of the woods, even those two factors add a big chunk of money to the cost.

You can't be impulsive about house buying. Well, you can, but it's a lot harder and a lot more expensive to change your mind.

$0 in the house fund now. Getting the RV paid off was the focus.

$500,000 is probably the top of our house budget yes, but I need to look at realistic non-crash diet expenses and savings to really figure that out.

We want a modest yard yes. Ideally we want a basement or at least a loft. Ideally a 1 story home + a decent sized basement for activities. Basement homes around here are all older, generally, and in cooler neighborhoods with great schools within walking/biking distance to things. However I don't want to spend 100% of my time on yard upkeep. I'd love a natural acre we can partially landscape or something, but we'd probably be OK with 1/4 of an acre or even less.

It is a priority for my son to play in the backyard, yes. I spent my days shooting hoops, playing street hockey, and doing dumb stuff like trying to dig a pond with my friend in his backyard, so I'd like my son to have similar options.

We have 4 animals still, two cats two dogs. I'd like a dog run.

Appliances meh whatever works without too much of a hassle and is somewhat energy efficient, cabinets I mean it would be cool to have nice/modern ones but that's lower on the priority list. I don't need my fridge to play Doom.

I mean sure it'd be ideal to have something perfect to move into, but I expect to put work into it unless it's new construction. I'm fairly handy and my best friend is a general contractor. I expect that if we buy an existing home we'd need an electrician in there fairly quickly. I've already looked at prices for knob and tube wiring replacement if it turns out it's something that old.

I'd really rather not have an HOA. The older homes we like fit that well actually.

Oh and no septic unless everything else fit us absolutely perfectly. No well; the water table here isn't great from a quality perspective and it requires near-yearly re-drilling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG don't forget to do the "how much money will you need in retirement" exercise. You can do one with house and one without, that's pretty straightforward. Hell you can do it in 2020 dollars to make it easier.

This is on the priority list and I definitely will do so.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
lmao

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The rug thing is a Big Lebowski reference, I thought that was required viewing for goons

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Hey KG how much do you think it’ll cost to turn your house into smart house from the movie smart house

How far do you think 40k will go in a home renovation

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Thumbtacks posted:

Hey KG how much do you think it’ll cost to turn your house into smart house from the movie smart house

How far do you think 40k will go in a home renovation

Well again considering I'm a software dev I can do things that would cost thousands of dollars myself.

https://www.openhab.org/
https://www.home-assistant.io/

Believe it or not it's not as expensive as you think if you can write your own logic; I've already dabbled with a lot of this. With geofencing and what not you can do some very neat things. Go Bill Gates style with RFID tags and readers and you can do even more, but I wouldn't want to go that far.

I like this stuff 'lmao'. It'll probably blow your mind to know that new developers are including many of these things by default - smart locks, blinds, Alexa home automation, and the house cost is basically the same as other developers who don't do it. https://www.lennar.com/productsandservices/ei

As far as your other question it's always materials cost + labor, so the ceiling will be dictated by how much you are capable of doing yourself, and the minimum will be dictated by cost of materials.

Why don't you tell me why you decided to buy a house and how far $40,000 in a renovation will go? I'm not acting like I know the answers to this stuff, even if I watch some of those house flipping shows.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Out of curiosity, what do you expect property taxes to be in Reno (or the county) for a house with a $400,000 replacement value?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you expect property taxes to be in Reno (or the county) for a house with a $400,000 replacement value?

We have really cheap property taxes, especially compared to places like Michigan and burbs around Dallas.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/nevada-property-tax-calculator#7dSybrwFPJ

Average County Tax Rate
0.664%
(Washoe County)

My grandma pays like $90/mo in property taxes on her home, though it hasn't been assessed in awhile.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i didn't buy a house because i have no problem renting, i don't have concrete enough long term plans that would make me feel comfortable with that purchase, i don't have the money to buy a house and i recognize that, and i'm actively trying to not go into debt

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

might as well start diverting child pizza money to smarthome planning now and not later

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
.....I have had a nest thermostat in both my last and current place of rent. You set the basic thermostat the landlord includes aside and install the Nest. When I moved out of my last place I just swapped them back. I’m sure there are rear end in a top hat landlords , but you can ask in advance of your next place if you’re really into that type of thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KG you consistently overestimate your own capabilities and underestimate costs. I hope you recognize this behavior and you also recognize that you are doing it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KG you consistently overestimate your own capabilities and underestimate costs. I hope you recognize this behavior and you also recognize that you are doing it right now.

Yeah, at this point it’s not looking good.