Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Truga posted:

i'm on a 980ti and most vr games work fine, 1080ti is fine

I have a GTX 1060 and everything seems fine on that. I'm not sure how the numbers work on graphics cards anymore though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

You plebes building gaming rigs...

Refined gentlemen like me spend thousands of dollars on pictures of futuristic/speculative gaming rigs with spec sheets that say they can run games at 8k/120fps, and then dream and theorycraft about the amazing gaming experiences that they’ll have some time in the 2030’s.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 15, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I judge a rig by how many fans it has.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In my old PC a 1080ti resides, it's good enough for pretty much everything still.
My new PC breezes everything so of course I am playing WoW classic on it :v:

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

i'm ready to build a new gaming rig from scratch ... its been like 5 years since i last updated the system , though it was pretty top end when i got it.

I feel like nothing has really changed, i don't feel like i cant run things .. i'm struggling to see the improvement, i would not bother if some of it was not starting to die.. maybe i'm just getting old.

I wonder will this be the system to finally run star citizen ? my heart tells me no.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Colostomy Bag posted:

I judge a rig by how many fans it has.

I also take all of my build advice from grown men role playing tentacled big tiddy anime school girls.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Only your mind can run Star Citizen.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

DigitalPenny posted:

i'm ready to build a new gaming rig from scratch ... its been like 5 years since i last updated the system , though it was pretty top end when i got it.

I feel like nothing has really changed, i don't feel like i cant run things .. i'm struggling to see the improvement, i would not bother if some of it was not starting to die.. maybe i'm just getting old.

I wonder will this be the system to finally run star citizen ? my heart tells me no.

Yeah I just sold my old 1080ti rig a few months ago, mainly because I didn’t feel like moving it across the country only to put it storage while I was overseas. I’ll be building a new one soon, but I’m also not seeing much of a revolution in hardware compared to 4-5 years ago. Nvidia’s 2000 series was barely an upgrade other than ray tracing. The 3000 series is supposed to be a much bigger leap, but it’s probably not coming until 2021.

However M2/PCIE SSDs have gone way down in price to the point that I’m eyeing one as my primary storage.

One thing I’m particularly disappointed in is the terrible selection of 4K monitors right now. Almost all of them are overpriced while missing major features that are ubiquitous in TVs like HDR, full array backlighting and HDCP 2.2 support. Unless I was willing to drop $3000 on this monstrosity...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ll probably just wind up hooking it up to my primary 55in TV in my new place and gaming from my couch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

i'm on a 980ti and most vr games work fine, 1080ti is fine

This. I’m running an Index at full resolution@100Hz on a 1080.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

colonelwest posted:

However M2/PCIE SSDs have gone way down in price to the point that I’m eyeing one as my primary storage.

Definitely do this, It's a major boost even over SATA SSD and worth the cost IMO

colonelwest posted:

One thing I’m particularly disappointed in is the terrible selection of 4K monitors right now. Almost all of them are overpriced while missing major features that are ubiquitous in TVs like HDR, full array backlighting and HDCP 2.2 support. Unless I was willing to drop $3000 on this monstrosity...

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/ali...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ll probably just wind up hooking it up to my primary 55in TV in my new place and gaming from my couch.

I bought a 43" 4k TV to plug my xbonx into, and that became my primary display for my new gaming rig when I got it as well. I cannot justify the extra cost of a "proper" monitor over just getting a TV, when the primary difference is "goes faster than 60Hz". And this is from someone who put a 2080Ti into that gaming rig :v:

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

is this game out yet? it's been 10 years

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

BeefThief posted:

is this game out yet? it's been 10 years

Didn't you get the memo ? It's only been in development for 5 years... I mean, 4 years. 3 tops, cause they switched to LY. In fact, 2 because they're breaking new grounds. They only reached their top employee count last year so it's only been a year after all. So yeah, they just started development last month, didn't you know ?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
https://youtu.be/sueRIan3DhY

Yup, time well spent.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

colonelwest posted:

I’m really hoping it’s not just a super arcadey arena dogfighting game with like 16 players and some waves of bad bots making up the “single player” portion. There was a cancelled Star Wars project along those lines 5 or so years ago.

Having mechanics something like the X-Wing series is a must. It’s the right mix of depth and accessibility.

I can absolutely guarantee the single player is not like that. I didn't play any of the X-Wing series but from a quick skim of what the gameplay is like I'd say this one lands somewhere between Rogue Squadron and the X-Wing series. I suspect closer to the Rogue Squadron side given the likely console focus.

Hav posted:

If you’re going for a ‘labor to pay off debt’ device, it kinda works. Personally i think they’re missing a layer in researching, locating, assessing and then breaking ships, but I did spend most of yesterday afternoon simulating an attack on Halifax and Shearwater AFB in 1985, so I might not be very ‘mainstream’.

Ahem, in Canada it would be designated CFB Shearwater.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Learning two fake languages for a failed mmo is pretty :psyduck:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
All you loosers thinking about upgrading your PCs when you could be playing it on Stadia! Wake up sheeple!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Xakura posted:

Don't talk about famous CitizenCon cosplayer <whateverhisnameis> like that, he nearly got third on the cosplay contest for this failed mmo. Dirty FUDster.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

trucutru posted:

All you loosers thinking about upgrading your PCs when you could be playing it on Stadia! Wake up sheeple!

I wanted to try Stadia, but I unsubscribed me instantly...negative lag and all...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Xakura posted:

It's even better when you consider there will be no one to speak it to - It's a pointless one sided conversation with NPCs at best, and realistically it will only ever be used to read signs on noodle stalls lol

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
The Spectrum thread „Why is Star Citizen falling behind compared to games like Dual Universe/Starbase?“ is such fun to read :allears:

quote:

I still hold out faith that his brother Erin, will be ably to reel it in where needed. Ever sense he joined the team I haven't seen anything major added in that would delay the project or cause any significant amount of feature creep. That has been a little but I think their would have been a whole lot more without him here

Sometimes it feels we are talking about completely different projects.

When did Erin „get“ his new „role“? In 2016? 2017?

How far and close to a release did that bring SQ42 or any working MMO features into the SC PTU?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Where's that goddamn SQ42 video, I want to see what years of development, expert leadership and millions of dollars looks like.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

trucutru posted:

:stadia: =/= :iiasb:

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
So, I stopped paying attention to this car crash for a while.

Has Chris Roberts claimed the corona-virus has affected his staff and now he has to cancel Star Citizen (as a way of avoiding being sued) and then keeping all the money?

I doubt that is a legit way of avoiding being sued

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Eararaldor posted:

Has Chris Roberts claimed the corona-virus has affected his staff and now he has to cancel Star Citizen (as a way of avoiding being sued) and then keeping all the money?

Surprisingly they have yet to put COVID forth as an excuse as far as I know (I could be wrong). Almost as if they put out footage recorded months ago....

Then of course they have been showing the funding tracker going up up up to a record breaking degree, especially during the lockdown days.

Roadmaps have been shittier than ever and they dropped roadmap to SQ42 altogether, but that was a trend and happened before COVID

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Eararaldor posted:

No need to do something as crass. The backers have aldeady done it for him (and rewarded his candor with a few extra millions)

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004

quote:

What platforms will Star Citizen be available on?

Star Citizen is a PC game through and through and could never be played on the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 or WiiU. We currently plan to support Windows and are examining our options regarding possible Linux and Macintosh releases. The Cloud Imperium team includes many Linux and Macintosh fans!

quote:

Can you estimate the system requirements for Star Citizen?
There will be a lot of optimization in the next 24-months, plus the usual fast pace of technology, so it is hard to say absolutely.
At the moment you will be able to play it on a dual core PC with a GTX 460 or greater and 4GB of system memory. If you’re running an i7 2500, 2600, 2700 or better with a GTX 670 or greater then the stars are the limit! Since the game is built on CryEngine, their system requirements will stay roughly the same as ours.

:allears:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Arrakisdef, the Hero we need but don’t deserve

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

AbstractNapper posted:

Surprisingly they have yet to put COVID forth as an excuse as far as I know (I could be wrong). Almost as if they put out footage recorded months ago....

Then of course they have been showing the funding tracker going up up up to a record breaking degree, especially during the lockdown days.

Roadmaps have been shittier than ever and they dropped roadmap to SQ42 altogether, but that was a trend and happened before COVID

CIG is probably guessing that many of their backers are covid truthers and don't want to piss them off.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

CIG is probably guessing that many of their backers are covid truthers and don't want to piss them off.

A definite possibility no doubt.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Star Citizens saw how sexually-successful Klingon-speaking Trekkies are, so naturally being fluent in a made-up language from a not-game will make them a sex-magnet! :heysexy:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

tuo posted:

Don't talk about famous CitizenCon cosplayer <whateverhisnameis> like that, he nearly got third on the cosplay contest for this failed mmo. Dirty FUDster.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Mr.PayDay posted:

The Spectrum thread „Why is Star Citizen falling behind compared to games like Dual Universe/Starbase?“ is such fun to read :allears:

Sometimes it feels we are talking about completely different projects.

When did Erin „get“ his new „role“? In 2016? 2017?

How far and close to a release did that bring SQ42 or any working MMO features into the SC PTU?

:lol:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Change the first image to say 65 million and it will be :kiss:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I forget, did asphyxiating man win that?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
That cosplay is spot on. Look how accurate he made his generic male face. Just like in game.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
My replies just got censored in the german Computer Base Forum and Thread about the 300 Mio Milestone.
The moderator is a backer.
Coincedence?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Star Wars Squadron VR support

:getin:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Golli posted:

Star Wars Squadron VR support

:getin:

yeah, but it seems to be 5 vs 5 arena shooter.

Didn't....didn't even Battlefront allow more?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
5v5 is fine. for the guys asking about what's needed to run this poo poo:
minimum:
Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 480 or Equivalent
Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1060 or Equivalent
recommended:
Graphics Card (AMD): Radeon RX 570 or Equivalent
Graphics Card (Nvidia): GeForce GTX 1070 or Equivalent

vr capable gpus are pretty cheap these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

Star Citizen: almost $300m after seven and a half years of ongoing crowdfunding.
Borderlands 3: over $300m in three days after release. Fallout 4: over $750m in its opening day after release.

..."lItTlE MoTiVaTiOn"...

quote:

Yes, because slowly accuring $50m a year is far more attractive than releasing episodic SQ42 titles and bringing in a couple of million $60 sales every two years.

If they sold 1m copies of a game it would beat their funding from any year. Mordhau and Kingdom Come: Deliverance managed that, and Early Access titles like Rust and The Forest have sold over 5m copies each, and assuming they all sold at EA prices ($15-20) they'd still comfortably beat CIGs best funding years.

I can understand people making this false claim through simple ignorance, but compounding that with this level of arrogance when it's demonstrably untrue is just astounding.
[/quote]

I hate idiots like this, they know drat well, the first week of sales is usually people that have been following the game and are built in fanboys. Guess what dumbasses, you are that group spread out over 8 years of CIG's failed development, CIG has no reason to release at this point all they have is debt waiting at the end of the dev cycle. The people who normally buy after trusted reviews and actual production gameplay is released will laugh their asses off and not spend a dime on this poo poo hole of a game.