Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So why are they saving all of the high profile cases until the last minute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So why are they saving all of the high profile cases until the last minute?

They do that every year. I think it’s because the losing sides keep lobbying for changes and the like.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Slaan posted:

Glad to know that loving over prisoners still has bipartisan support
The court is supposed to rule on the text of the law. The text is very clear in this case.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ilkhan posted:

The court is supposed to rule on the text of the law. The text is very clear in this case.

Very clearly intended to violate prisoner’s right to due process.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

ulmont posted:

They do that every year. I think it’s because the losing sides keep lobbying for changes and the like.

Being a professional SCOTUS tea leaf reader must be miserable.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ilkhan posted:

Doesn't stop them when they care enough. See: Trump v Hawaii

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stickman posted:

Very clearly intended to violate prisoner’s right to due process.

Yes but the issue was whether something counted as a "strike" or not, not the constitutionality of the only "you get 3 free lawsuits" thing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes but the issue was whether something counted as a "strike" or not, not the constitutionality of the only "you get 3 free lawsuits" thing.

The constitutionality of the law being applied should always be at issue and I'm pretty sure the SCOTUS can make it the issue by 5 votes whenever they want to.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Holding that “without prejudice” dismissals count against the limit seems like it would very much affect the calculus, though.

I assume some decision has upheld the law?

It’s just such obvious discrimination built into our system where we repeatedly pretend that monetary barriers are somehow non-restrictive enough to avoid violating constitutional rights while simultaneously employing them with the intention of restricting access for those who can’t afford the fees. See: bail.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
An Appeals Court threw out a bunch of qualified immunity claims today: https://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions/182142.P.pdf

There's also a slew of qualified immunity cases pending before Supreme Court.

There's a plausible chance that a lot of the police violence we're seeing right now might actually result in (civil) punishments for the officers involved. Judging from what they're doing on video, the police don't yet believe that's a real risk.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
What are the biggest decisions we can expect a 5v4 permanent conservatism forever and ever outcome on in the near future that we should prepare our buttholes for?

Trump v. Vance / Deutsche Bank AG? California v. Texas? That fukken Louisiana abortion poo poo?

edit - besides like every now decision I guess

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The currently pending decisions on whether LGBTQIA+ people can be fired for being queer.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

jeeves posted:

What are the biggest decisions we can expect a 5v4 permanent conservatism forever and ever outcome on in the near future that we should prepare our buttholes for?

It's just all of them that are left and have been argued.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pending_United_States_Supreme_Court_cases

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Oh man. California v Texas is 100% gonna be a 5-4 conservatives ruling that the ACA is completely dead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

OniPanda posted:

Oh man. California v Texas is 100% gonna be a 5-4 conservatives ruling that the ACA is completely dead.

I have no idea what Roberts' calculus was on his prior ACA decisions but I think he knows "let's strike down the ACA and cause tens of millions to lose insurance during the onset of a potential depression and during a pandemic" might not mesh with his long term conservative theocracy goals given how angry people already are.

I fully expect the conservatives to be ok with firing people for being queer, or not straight (and white) though, and that every QI case is going to have some hand-wringing about how sure, it's not in the Constitution but look at these riots and the cops are just trying to keep society intact.

The SCOTUS will almost certainly rule 5-4 against anything that helps gut the EC (Colorado Department of State v. Baca) since any move towards a popular vote for POTUS is the death of the GOP without a political realignment in the US.

I'll be shocked if the SCOTUS doesn't side with Trump in all of his personal info and subpoena lawsuits like Mazzars because lol gently caress precedent and accountability (when it's a Republican).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
WTF? If Thomas and Sotomayor want to revisit the issue, how can there not be a majority to at least hear a case on it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/supreme-court-declines-to-hear-cases-over-qualified-immunity.html

quote:

Supreme Court declines to hear cases over legal doctrine shielding police from lawsuits
PUBLISHED MON, JUN 15 20209:40 AM EDTUPDATED MOMENTS AGO

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Also shocked and happy they didn't take this case.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1272529562547691522

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Charlz Guybon posted:

WTF? If Thomas and Sotomayor want to revisit the issue, how can there not be a majority to at least hear a case on it?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/15/supreme-court-declines-to-hear-cases-over-qualified-immunity.html

Maybe they don't want to wade into it while Congress is actively discussing laws about it.

It's not like the police are going to stop creating new cases they could take up later. You know, after dozens more people have been killed.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I guess Kennedy got Gorsuch's assurance he'd vote his way on this issue. Really surprised.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1272530127856046082

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Held: An employer who fires an individual merely for being gay or transgender violates Title VII. Gorsuch writing. 6/3

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Held: An employer who fires an individual merely for being gay or transgender violates Title VII. Gorsuch writing. 6/3

Holy poo poo.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
The court's opinion is about 30 pages for the 3 combined cases. Alito disented for like 50 and then added a 50 page appendix of who knows what lmao. And there's a ~30 page dissent from justice beers as well.

e: the appendixes are a bunch of dictionary definitions, a long list of statutes that "prohibit sex discrimination", and a bunch of military enlistment forms. idk what all that has to do with anything

ee: OMG this platitude at the end of kavanaugh's dissent: "Notwithstanding my concern about the Court’s transgression of the Constitution’s separation of powers, it is appropriate to acknowledge the important victory achieved today by gay and lesbian Americans. Millions of gay and lesbian Americans have worked hard for many decades to
achieve equal treatment in fact and in law. They have exhibited extraordinary vision, tenacity, and grit—battling often steep odds in the legislative and judicial arenas, not to
mention in their daily lives. They have advanced powerful policy arguments and can take pride in today’s result. Under the Constitution’s separation of powers, however, I believe that it was Congress’s role, not this Court’s, to amend Title VII. I therefore must respectfully dissent from the Court's judgement"

Meatbag Esq. fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 15, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Alito disented for like 50 and then added a 50 page appendix of who knows what lmao.

According to a scotusblog commenter, it's 50 pages of uncompressed scans, which is probably why the servers are melting

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Meatbag Esq. posted:

The court's opinion is about 30 pages for the 3 combined cases. Alito disented for like 50 and then added a 50 page appendix of who knows what lmao. And there's a ~30 page dissent from justice beers as well.

That would explain why it's such a large .pdf file.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

I guess Kennedy got Gorsuch's assurance he'd vote his way on this issue. Really surprised.

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1272530127856046082

Gorsuch didn’t replace Kennedy. He just isn’t the doctrinaire conservative you think he is and never has been.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

What were Gorsuch’s and Roberts saying about this case during arguments? Did it look like they would rule against it or were there clues in what they were saying?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kavanaugh’s dissent is dumb. He thinks this is Congress’ responsibility and that is why he is voting no.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

rjmccall posted:

Gorsuch didn’t replace Kennedy. He just isn’t the doctrinaire conservative you think he is and never has been.

I think people can be forgiven for expecting Justice Plain Language to opine differently.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Kavanaugh’s dissent is dumb. He thinks this is Congress’ responsibility and that is why he is voting no.

Very strange how the plain text of the law isn't good enough when it doesn't align with reactionary ideology.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I think people can be forgiven for expecting Justice Plain Language to opine differently.

So Gorsuch actually is Justice Plain Language instead of one that just uses it to tie into knots for his own opinions like Scalia?

Gorsuch arrives at the conclusion he does because if two employees both have relationships with men and one is fired for it because they're also a man and one is not fired because they're a woman thats deciding based on sex to fire an employee. Thats... refreshingly simple for a conservative justice?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 15, 2020

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

So Gorsuch actually is Justice Plain Language instead of one that just uses it to tie into knots for his own opinions like Scalia?

Gorsuch arrives at the conclusion he does because if two employees both have relationships with men and one is fired for it because they're also a man and one is not fired because they're a woman thats deciding based on sex to fire an employee. Thats... refreshingly simple for a conservative justice?

"Says here sex and not gender" would be what's expected.

That said, yeah it's a refreshing if oblique way of approaching the issue!

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 15, 2020

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's dumb and lovely in a cowardly way, but it's very telling that even he feels the need to put a note in about congratulating LGBT people on the outcome to avoid looking like he was on the wrong side of history

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

After seeing conservatives use strict textualism as window dressing for their awful opinions for so long it is hilarious to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth when it's used against them for a change, by a vat-grown Federalist Society judge no less.

Armack
Jan 27, 2006
How on earth do we square Roberts joining the liberals in Bostock with his extremely lovely dissent in Obergefell? I thought Roberts hated LGBT+ people? From his Obergefell dissent: "...the Court invalidates the marriage laws of more than half the States and orders the transformation of a social institution that has formed the basis of human society for millennia, for the Kalahari Bushmen and the Han Chinese, the Carthaginians and the Aztecs. Just who do we think we are?"

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Because the text of Title VII is very clear.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Armack posted:

How on earth do we square Roberts joining the liberals in Bostock with his extremely lovely dissent in Obergefell? I thought Roberts hated LGBT+ people? From his Obergefell dissent: "...the Court invalidates the marriage laws of more than half the States and orders the transformation of a social institution that has formed the basis of human society for millennia, for the Kalahari Bushmen and the Han Chinese, the Carthaginians and the Aztecs. Just who do we think we are?"

Roberts is, at his core, a coward afraid of his legacy being bad.

Also Title VII is honestly pretty obvious, even if congress didn't initially intend it it very clearly should apply.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

Armack posted:

Judges have much more freedom to impose their will on issues of Constitutional interpretation than they do on issues of statutory interpretation. This is why we want a Congress that actually does its job.

No, I wouldn't hold my breath either.

Bostock v. Clayton County, Georgia posted:

During the course of the proceedings in these long­ running disputes, both Mr. Zarda and Ms. Stephens have passed away
How very sad. Named litigants in SC cases always seem to get the short end of the stick, even when they prevail.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

on the one hand at-will employment means you don't have to say you're firing someone because they're trans

on the other hand :sickos:

https://twitter.com/ALABSeries/status/1272543664884142083

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I wonder if they got Gorsuch on board with the decision, and once Roberts saw the liberal wing was going to win anyway, he decided to join the majority to give cover to his neutral court myth he wants to perpetuate? No use burning his neutrality cred on something that's already lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Not mad posted:

The Court attempts to pass off its decision as the inevita­ble product of the textualist school of statutory interpreta­tion championed by our late colleague Justice Scalia, but no one should be fooled. The Court’s opinion is like a pirate ship. It sails under a textualist flag, but what it actually represents is a theory of statutory interpretation that Jus­tice Scalia excoriated––the theory that courts should “up­ date” old statutes so that they better reflect the current val­ues of society.

Totally not mad posted:

The arrogance of this argument is breathtaking. As I will show, there is not a shred of evidence that any Member of Congress interpreted the statutory text that way when Ti­tle VII was enacted.

So which is it Sammy boy? :thunk: