Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Are concord grapes just not available to most people?

I know they aren't found in stores as easily as your standard red and green grapes, but growing up they were always my favorite and I looked forward to late summer/early fall when they could be had.

Concord season is pretty short, relatively. I guess when you're used to green and red being available all year that's what people stick with?

I just found the grape jelly example really weird in that video because jelly uses juice. Sure the real fruit content in juice is very low (and almost always cut with apple) but that's not why it might not taste like grape to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Green apple has been replacing lime in various candy for decades ever since the return of Starburst jellybeans. It's a big problem

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also since we're on the subject, blue raspberry exists because they used to color raspberry flavored things with Amaranth (not the Twitch streamer) which got linked to cancer in the late 60s and was eventually banned.

At around the same time a blue food dye was finally created that was safe. Nobody knows for sure who did it first, but someone had the idea to use this new blue dye to replace the red that got banned. So boom, blue raspberry.

Blue raspberries actually exist but they have nothing to do with the flavor. And they're a very dark, pretty much black color.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Peanut Butter, The Atheist's Nightmare!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZFG5PKw504

quote:

The entire food industry depends on the fact that evolution doesn't happen.

:popeye:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Aphrodite posted:

Also since we're on the subject, blue raspberry exists because they used to color raspberry flavored things with Amaranth (not the Twitch streamer) which got linked to cancer in the late 60s and was eventually banned.

There must be more than one kind, because I’ve had red amaranth as a micro salad, and Wikipedia says people have eaten it for thousands of years and doesn’t mention anything about ill effects.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

There must be more than one kind, because I’ve had red amaranth as a micro salad, and Wikipedia says people have eaten it for thousands of years and doesn’t mention anything about ill effects.

Amaranth the dye is named for the plant since it’s the same color, it didn’t come from the plant.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Amaranth the dye is named for the plant since it’s the same color, it didn’t come from the plant.

Ah ha, thanks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the dye is still legal in the UK and many other places.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

I'm going to call bullshit on Insider claiming that the "majority" of changes from teosinte to maize happened after Europeans started cultivating it. Maize was domesticated enough to be a staple for some Mesoamericans over 4,000 years ago. They cultivated a bunch of different varieties of it, including some that were specifically for popcorn. (Honestly it's weird as hell to think of ancient people eating popcorn.)

ancient maize cobs from Honduras.

15th century Incan silver sculpture.

Obviously the corn cobs we have now are gigantic and the product of lots more selection and genetic engineering but c'mon. Something I just figured out today: there are people who even want to give white folks credit for corn, smdh.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm starting to think the colonizers get credit for poo poo they stole from cultures they brutalized!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC the watermelon thing is also bullshit, in that what's depicted in the 17th-century version is just an under-ripe watermelon by today's standards. You can see the same swirling pattern today if you just pop open a watermelon early.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

feedmyleg posted:

IIRC the watermelon thing is also bullshit, in that what's depicted in the 17th-century version is just an under-ripe watermelon by today's standards. You can see the same swirling pattern today if you just pop open a watermelon early.

The gently caress are you talking about?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Mighty Moltres posted:

The gently caress are you talking about?

Pictured: not the 17th century.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
There's also like 100 varieties of watermelon.

Some are still yellow and green on the inside.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Organza Quiz posted:

As far as I remember they draw a distinction between a thing evolving slightly differently to what it used to be compared to a thing turning into a completely different thing. So a creationist might be okay with the concept of us turning wolves into dogs but not that cats and dogs share an ancestor. Obviously biologically there's no difference but that's how they justify that one.

They draw a distinction between "microevolution" (allowing for changes within a kind) and "macroevolution" (speciation).

Of course it turns out we have observed speciation on multiple occasions (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html) and I don't remember how they moved the goalposts for that.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

feedmyleg posted:

Pictured: not the 17th century.

It's like a fractal inside!

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm starting to think the colonizers get credit for poo poo they stole from cultures they brutalized!

Yeah I'm personally familiar with that, but I've never seen someone try it with friggin corn of all things.

Also that swirly watermelon is grossing me out for some irrational reason. Yeccch.

christmas boots posted:

They draw a distinction between "microevolution" (allowing for changes within a kind) and "macroevolution" (speciation).

Of course it turns out we have observed speciation on multiple occasions (http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-speciation.html) and I don't remember how they moved the goalposts for that.

In my experience they move the goalposts to "but have you ever seen a dog turn into a cat?!" and then declare victory.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Telemaze posted:

In my experience they move the goalposts to "but have you ever seen a dog turn into a cat?!" and then declare victory.

Well for that to happen, we'd have to first have transgender dogs and cats, because I have it on good authority (8 year old niece) that all cats are girls and all dogs are boys.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I realize the white devil will stop at nothing, but I'm pretty sure it's just a poorly researched cracked.com-tier listicle and not an attempt to claim the highly coveted corn plant

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Telemaze posted:

Yeah I'm personally familiar with that, but I've never seen someone try it with friggin corn of all things.

Also that swirly watermelon is grossing me out for some irrational reason. Yeccch.

"Did you ever see a dog, turn into a cat
Down by the bay?"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Phlegmish posted:

I realize the white devil will stop at nothing, but I'm pretty sure it's just a poorly researched cracked.com-tier listicle and not an attempt to claim the highly coveted corn plant
Sort of, but that's the worse form of whitewashing and should be brutally called out when you're able.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

You might think so, but this kind of casual misinformation (the implication that certain races are overwhelmingly responsible for human accomplishment) adds up and affects the way people get treated irl. If you've never been told that your race is only good for getting drunk and living off the government, you don't have to worry about that I guess. So lovely listicle or no I'm going to correct it when I see it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What's next: the potato was actually developed by Latvian genius?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Telemaze posted:

You might think so, but this kind of casual misinformation (the implication that certain races are overwhelmingly responsible for human accomplishment) adds up and affects the way people get treated irl. If you've never been told that your race is only good for getting drunk and living off the government, you don't have to worry about that I guess. So lovely listicle or no I'm going to correct it when I see it.

OK, I can understand that.

I have actually been googling a bit and I wonder where he even got it from. I can find practically no information about the evolution of maize between 1500 and 2000. So if it makes you feel any better, as a misconception it's definitely not widespread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's next: the potato was actually developed by Latvian genius?

And that genius's name? Tubert Eyenstein

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

And that genius's name? Het Potatis

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Captain Hygiene posted:

And that genius's name? Victor von Doom

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Bananas taste better when green,

This is the wrongest poo poo I've ever read in my life and I will not let it go by without being called out.

Also cherry is the best candy flavor.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

rydiafan posted:

This is the wrongest poo poo I've ever read in my life and I will not let it go by without being called out.

I can't imagine just straight up eating a green banana raw, but boiled green bananas are delicious.

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/green_banana.htm

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Green banana talk is objectively wrong because you can't make banana bread with green bananas

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Hygiene posted:

Green banana talk is objectively wrong because you can't make banana bread with green bananas

yeah and everyone knows the only good banana is a bread banana

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Memento posted:

yeah and everyone knows the only good banana is a bread banana

:dadjoke:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hell they have at least one song where there aren't even any lyrics, Eddie just yarls phonemes for 5 minutes (Yellow Ledbetter, great song tho).

And the "gently caress" in Jeremy is especially swallowed even by those standards, he knew what he was doing

I never knew that word was "gently caress" until now. I thought it was that picking on him was "a harmless little fun". I always thought the wording was strangely archaic...

Anyway, there's a "gently caress" in https://youtu.be/ymNFyxvIdaM, buried by that Finish accent, that also went uncensored for years and years until someone finally caught on.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

EMF's "Unbelievable" had a bunch of surprisingly audible "What the gently caress (was that)?"s for all the radio play it got in 1991. Yet I don't recall eighth-grade me ever noticing. :shobon:

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Rollersnake posted:

I can't imagine just straight up eating a green banana raw, but boiled green bananas are delicious.

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/green_banana.htm

this is aka a plantain (also loving delicious sliced and fried), i think other poster was saying underripe yellow bananas are best (which is true)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hirayuki posted:

EMF's "Unbelievable" had a bunch of surprisingly audible "What the gently caress (was that)?"s for all the radio play it got in 1991. Yet I don't recall eighth-grade me ever noticing. :shobon:

Wait holy poo poo THAT'S WHAT THAT DUDE WAS SAYING?!

*Guitar riff*
what the fu--
what the fu--
what the gently caress
WAS THAT?

"You're unbelievable"

My kid brain ad libbed random words to fit background vocals like that and i didn't even process it as actual words, I thought it was a chopped up voice sample of an old speech or something.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Wait holy poo poo THAT'S WHAT THAT DUDE WAS SAYING?!

*Guitar riff*
what the fu--
what the fu--
what the gently caress
WAS THAT?

"You're unbelievable"

My kid brain ad libbed random words to fit background vocals like that and i didn't even process it as actual words, I thought it was a chopped up voice sample of an old speech or something.
If Wikipedia is to be believed, that "What the gently caress?" was a clip of a Black Panther. No idea where the "was that?" came from.

That entry also notes the profanity was never censored even as the song was used in commercials. I think I heard one recently and primly pointed out to my family what they were actually saying. Now you can, too!

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 02:23 on Jun 16, 2020

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I always remember Creep by Radiohead being one of the first songs with a really blatant 'gently caress' in it that got a lot of airtime on the Australian youth radio, I'm sure there were other songs before that but that's definitely the one that stood out to me. Can anyone think of some other examples that were played regularly, and not just a "here's a subversive track for you guys"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I think John Lennon's Working Class Hero is the first one I remember just straight-up tossing out the f-bomb on Old People Radio (Money was by far the most common as far as epithets go, but it was the less offensive "bullshit")