Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

The best kind. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Eejit posted:

Remind me what kind of avocado he is?

isn't he a lineolated parakeet?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Kenshin posted:

I'm 99% sure that's it. Linnies look so much like babby brotogeris. It's like I'm looking into the huge eyes of a baby Pinto or Peanut.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Inglonias posted:

The best kind. Duh.

Correct!!

Kenshin posted:

Also correct.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pookah posted:

What a cutiepatootie :3

Also I just this minute found out some very lovely person bought me platinum - I only noticed because I accidentally clicked on search and I COULD ACTUALLY SEARCH?!?!?

💕

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd like to add that while trying to paste that emoji into the window, I accidentally pasted instead 'did antifa do that' which actually would have been a pretty funny response

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'd like to add that while trying to paste that emoji into the window, I accidentally pasted instead 'did antifa do that' which actually would have been a pretty funny response

I googled antifa bird

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Penguins are famously anti-facist.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
birds are anarchists but so are like, slugs and starfish and stuff.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Antifa just going around buying people plat :argh:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I could have put 'Antifa-sponsored Poster' under my avatar; that would have been excellent :D

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Look at that happy little squish :kimchi:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I need one of these -> :3: but roughly ten times bigger.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

You have an adorable lime

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
https://www.instagram.com/p/CBk3LqaFQl7/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

please tell me this is a goon birb

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Potato Salad posted:

please tell me this is a goon birb

it is!

its my birb, Tango!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Mmmfmffffmf

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Weirdest avocado I ever saw.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Mmmfmffffmf

Did that use to be a raisin before it was nommed to death in their beak? :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

i love alex

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Disco Salmon posted:

Did that use to be a raisin before it was nommed to death in their beak? :)

I hope not, raisins (specifically grape skins) can be dangerous to birds

:same:

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can't even be bothered to drop his other foot to eat. What a cool dude.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Ever since getting a standing desk, I too do a single-foot stand every once in a while for a few seconds. :feelsgoodman:

But I don't look nearly as good as your avocados and mangoes.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

theHUNGERian posted:

Ever since getting a standing desk, I too do a single-foot stand every once in a while for a few seconds. :feelsgoodman:

But I don't look nearly as good as your avocados and mangoes.

Yeah but do you eat using the other one

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I hope not, raisins (specifically grape skins) can be dangerous to birds

:same:

No worries, it’s a blueberry. Also, he’s too cool to eat any fruit skins; he only eats the insides of things before depositing the skin off the nearest drop

This is mr slump butt right now, having some pellets

Bonus picture of him being such a good boy while I had supper!! (apologies for quarantine mess)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What a perfect baby

Not quite as perfect as Galbedoodle but he comes very close!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
As a guy who has kept three cockatiels and four parakeets, I wonder what it’s like to have a well behaved bird.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

I LOVE THIS BIRD HE IS PERFECT

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

smol :kimchi:

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

As a guy who has kept three cockatiels and four parakeets, I wonder what it’s like to have a well behaved bird.

I have 2 buttnuggets. I, too, question what it would be like...

In other news, R had to work late again tonight in the bird/computer room.

Said birds were NOT happy that bedtime was delayed.

Said birds are tired.

So, I am sitting on the couch with them letting him finish up his video call so I can get them to bed....and Cricket and Trevor decide enough is enough. They both climbed down my shirt onto the couch, from couch to the floor, floor to the carpeted step that leads to the hallway, then both started waddling down the hallway yelling "SWEET BIRDIE DREAMS!!!! DADDY HOME!!! SWEET BIRDIE DREAMS!!"

I got up to get them and R was in the hallway laughing at them...his boss was laughing at them cos R brought his laptop out and had it turned so his boss could see the two buttnuggets making their way down the hallway screaming about bedtime lol

Needless to say, his boss laughed and said, "I'll let you go...." and we now have happy sleeping, beak grinding buttnuggets who are finally in a happy place.

Routines... wow they do love the routines. God forbid we are late for bed cos they know.

THEY KNOW!!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I constantly thank my lucky stars for how mild and well behaved Auri is the vast majority of the time. Even if she isn't affectionate and doesn't want to be touched, she never destroys things or gets into trouble and is quiet and content most of the day.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Whenever Serra gets a trim, I publicly thank the parrot shop on the Portland group because they're open during the pandemic.

I posted a funny pictures of Serra with some quirky caption. I normally get 50-100 likes, cares, loves, or whatever. I pretty much cut social media out of my life, but I enjoy knowing people get a kick out of Serra.

Well, today I noticed two angry faces. Both of these people had angry faced my posts before. The last time, I thought they must have clicked the wrong button. I went back and checked though - these two people had disliked my photos in the past and did again.

So, I asked and got these replies -

How loving presumptive and dick headed can people on the other side of a keyboard be? Serra has a "trim/no trim" schedule mandated by the avian vet, especially with the bloody night frights she has when her flight feathers are in.

I'm not going to engage these people further. But I needed somewhere to openly say, "What the hell?!"

(Not to mention how the multiple free flight group posters who have lost birds or literally got them killed by hawks seem to be above reproach. If I think that's irresponsible, I keep it to myself.)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Captain Log posted:

How loving presumptive and dick headed can people on the other side of a keyboard be? Serra has a "trim/no trim" schedule mandated by the avian vet, especially with the bloody night frights she has when her flight feathers are in.

I'm not going to engage these people further. But I needed somewhere to openly say, "What the hell?!"

(Not to mention how the multiple free flight group posters who have lost birds or literally got them killed by hawks seem to be above reproach. If I think that's irresponsible, I keep it to myself.)

Yeah personally I am on the 'trim your loving bird's wings it doesn't hurt them and they don't have an ego about it" side of the fence. Ivan's kitchen adventures into the hot butter pan and other hosed up close calls are notable reasons for my choice, including the hawk thing.

Just ban/ignore/whatever, and please try not to let it get to you.

Loving all the good photos, I'll have another post to make soon but right now I am tired. Took extra hours last week and this week so it was ALL BIRDS ALL THE TIME.

Not that it's a bad thing! Just a lot of driving and work. Including transporting 72 starlings in one day. Not as noisy as a singular parrot.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Wow, that deteriorated fast.

When strangers telling me clipping wings (under vet supervision) is me wanting to “inflict my disability” on my pet, it’s time for blocking people.

:stare:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Some birds do well clipped, some do well fully flighted. I have done both at different times, as seemed wisest, based on the bird, the circumstances, where I was currently living. It's almost like it's not nearly as big a deal as these idiots pretend it is and isn't a black and white issue, but a complex and nuanced issue!

I wonder how many of the anti-clippers are under the impression that birds just instinctively know how to fly, from birth. Ozzy came to me really severely clipped, way more than I've ever done to them myself, but he also had zero strength in his flight muscles and would drop like a stone. An adult bird with adult feathers and no flying skills or strength in his pectorals is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Most parrot species aren't distance flyers anyway and prefer to climb to get around in their dense forest habitats (eg most small New World parrots) or to forage on the ground in grassy areas (eg cockatoos). Clipping doesn't make them "disabled", and it's far better than them getting killed while flying free.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra spends a certain amount of time with feathers before a clip, as recommended per the vet. But even clipped, she doesn't plummet and can get enough lift to get places. But with her continuous issue of bloody night frights, it was recommended as better to keep her clipped until she ages out of the issues.

I'm completely confident in my choices knowing they are avian vet guided. But Jesus Christ, those people just made me go :stare:

I always think to myself, "Would you talk to a person the same way if you were face to face?" I let that guide my online interactions - being courteous and polite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I do think it's worth replying to those people to a certain extent only because the average person doesn't actually know much about clipping wings other than it being used as a metaphor and many have a vague sense of it being a Bad Thing to Do, possibly akin to declawing a cat. I've definitely heard it come up and people assume that it's permanent or stops birds from doing what they can just naturally do. So if those people are seeing the idiots complaining about it it would be better if they then see a response explaining why it's actually fine in many contexts.

Still requires energy to do though and may provoke the BIRDS MUST BE FREE folks so understandable if you don't want to do that.