Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Ignoranus posted:

I'm a little frustrated about this hard drive thing.

I finally got to the point where I got the Space Elevator built and am waiting for enough resources to pile up so that I can research coal power and stop worrying about running out of biomass in my generators. While waiting, I decided to run power poles out to the one quartz deposit I finally found, because I'm desperate to get the Map unlocked. On the way there, I came across what looks kind of like Ficsit technology, some kind of crashed drone - but it's next to a poison pillar. I tried just running up to it to interact but it is not interactable at all. Is this just a sign that there's an actual drop somewhere nearby?

Most wrecks have two or three large pieces of debris, and I get confused fairly frequently as to which one actually has a hard drive in it. It is most likely that you just didn't pick the right chunk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That's a crash site. The drone itself isn't interactive, but the cargo pod it carries is. There's also random supplies scattered around it, which can be a real good early source of things like circuit boards, motors, and frames.

To open the cargo pod and get the delicious harddrive inside you need to meet certain requirements, and it varies based on the pod. Sometimes it's a certain power amount (just build some biomass burners, hook it up, open the pod, disassemble everything) sometimes it's a specific number of random items, sometimes it's both.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I do not like the website calculator (I find it vastly overcomplicates things) and have also resigned myself to indented notepad calculations. I'm wondering if there's Excel magic that can automate it and I can just input desired output like the site but have Excel just provide it formatted like the notepad method.

Quite honestly, knowing very little Excel it'd probably be easier to just code a small calculator that outputs in that format instead...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I do not like the website calculator (I find it vastly overcomplicates things) and have also resigned myself to indented notepad calculations. I'm wondering if there's Excel magic that can automate it and I can just input desired output like the site but have Excel just provide it formatted like the notepad method.

Quite honestly, knowing very little Excel it'd probably be easier to just code a small calculator that outputs in that format instead...

I think you want this page https://satisfactory-calculator.com/en/production-planner

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Without going deep into VB excel will really only make it easier to look at and manage recipes while doing the balance mostly manual. By the time you go deep into VB you can use literally anything else and get a better easier result.

There's usually a lot of the latter pre made, like that satisfactory-calculator link.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

No I absolutely don't. That's the site I'm referring to. Even when viewing a production as just a list instead of the node map it's just too overdone. The notepad method gives me one product per line, an indentation, the amount, and that's it. Nothing showy or useless.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

This calculator had a really nice layout that I found easy to follow, but hasn't been updated since before liquids were added. I'd love to see something like this for the latest version.

https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/satisfactory-calculator/calc.html

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Are there conveyor splitter/merger tiers that I need to be concerned about, or will any splitter/merger handle as many items as the attached belts can deal with?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Splitters and mergers have unlimited capacity, except if you built it on top of an existing belt.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Splitters and mergers have unlimited capacity, except if you built it on top of an existing belt.

Even on an existing belt it's fine to you upgrade the belts around it.

Splitters and mergers don't have a flow rate in any meaningful way, they'll put out what they get in at whatever rate they get it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am excited to announce that I just figured out that you can whack the antenna of the tractor with the xeno-basher.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nielsm posted:

I dont understand the "except" part. What other situation can splitters/mergers be used in? You can't attach a splitter directly to the output of a building, can you?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^I believe they're referring to which you have a belt already made and just put a splitter on top of it without rebuilding anything. No idea if that affects anything though.

Cojawfee posted:

I am excited to announce that I just figured out that you can whack the antenna of the tractor with the xeno-basher.

Thank you, this is literally the first thing I'm going to try when I get home today. We need to add this to the OP.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I mean you can place a belt, then place a splitter/merger on the belt, and the game will treat the belts on either sides of the splitter/merger as if you placed the splitter/merger then connected the belt.

I.e., all belts off a split/merge are treated separately for upgrading regardless of how any of them were originally placed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Even on an existing belt it's fine to you upgrade the belts around it.

Splitters and mergers don't have a flow rate in any meaningful way, they'll put out what they get in at whatever rate they get it.

At least I remember reading reports of a bug where a splitter built on top of a belt would be limited to the speed of the original belt, even if all belts connected to it were upgraded. Maybe it's been fixed.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

nielsm posted:

At least I remember reading reports of a bug where a splitter built on top of a belt would be limited to the speed of the original belt, even if all belts connected to it were upgraded. Maybe it's been fixed.

Oh I didn't know about this bug. Maybe it isn't fixed? Someone with the last tier of belts should find out for the thread. I just assumed it worked like it's supposed to since I never saw a problem.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

No I absolutely don't. That's the site I'm referring to. Even when viewing a production as just a list instead of the node map it's just too overdone. The notepad method gives me one product per line, an indentation, the amount, and that's it. Nothing showy or useless.

Try this page: http://satisfactory-planner.epizy.com/?i=1 Input what you wanna make on the left. click the alternative at the top if you're using alternative recipes. It'll break down what it takes to make the thing on the right, using what you've put in.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

nielsm posted:

Unless it was fixed in the latest patch the bug is that it will occasionally "solve" the belt paths in a way you have a piece of belt entirely inside the splitter geometry and can't upgrade specifically without really putting the camera in places it doesn't belong. Stuff like the in belt runs the full length of the splitter, adds a node, and runs from the node back to the inlet. Looks 100% normal from outside although you can occasionally spot a telltale item model running backwards.

This is literal hell when it happens on your coal lines so it's not a horrible idea to paranoid check everytime you upgrade.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I just found out that if you die while trying to destroy a Uranium plug, all your stuff gets radiated. Even if you're able to get your stuff away from the plug, it stays irradiated.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mayveena posted:

I just found out that if you die while trying to destroy a Uranium plug, all your stuff gets radiated. Even if you're able to get your stuff away from the plug, it stays irradiated.

You probably picked up a bit of mined uranium whilst destroying the plug, which is a Bad Thing. When you 'loot all' to get it back, you're getting that bit, which retains its Bad Thing status

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
That is exactly what happened with my brother, he died and when he went back to get his stuff he smacked loot all cause the ambient radiation was killing him. Then he realized he had the ore in his inventory and died again.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why does the explorer have a second seat in it if another player can't ride shotgun?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Can coal be used to fuel trucks from a truck stop? I'm belting coal into the fuel portion of the truck stop but it seems like it's not fueling up the truck?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

It certainly can. Do you have another type of fuel in the truck tank? Have you tried to put a unit of coal in just to get it started?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

It certainly can. Do you have another type of fuel in the truck tank? Have you tried to put a unit of coal in just to get it started?

I'll try resetting it, maybe solid biofuel got in there at some point.

Also, it looks like calculators are out of date? They say steel produces at 30/m but it looks to be 45/m

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's a multiplayer bug I think. Trucks are basically non functional in multiplayer because you can't automate their refueling

e: the symptom for this is that the fuel items get belted in and just vanish into thin air entirely instead of stockpiling in the station

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

cheetah7071 posted:

It's a multiplayer bug I think. Trucks are basically non functional in multiplayer because you can't automate their refueling

e: the symptom for this is that the fuel items get belted in and just vanish into thin air entirely instead of stockpiling in the station

That's bizarre!

Why is the fueling code interacting in any way with the netcode? That's not right.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Wait, you can put splitters directly on the tracks? I've been loving deleting conveyors this whole time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can but it's sometimes buggy for me and won't let me attach things to the sides. But it's good for when a belt is on a slope and placing a merger would make it look awkward.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LLSix posted:

That's bizarre!

Why is the fueling code interacting in any way with the netcode? That's not right.

Literally everything that happens in the game has to interact with the netcode. That's the nature of netcode.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Truck refueling has been working fine for me in multiplayer, disappearing trucks nonwithstanding, are you running a conveyor belt into the left most input slot?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Leal posted:

Truck refueling has been working fine for me in multiplayer, disappearing trucks nonwithstanding, are you running a conveyor belt into the left most input slot?

Yeah. It's the exact same setup that works offline. In fact, just to test, we took the save offline and it worked fine without any modifications

I guess it isnt universal though

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Welp, just finished a goddamned monstrosity.

This four level, ten story Motor Factory behemoth took me about three hours to put together in trying to get the conveyor belts to work and not look like complete tangled crap.

Level 1:

Four smelters turn 120 incoming iron into the needed 120 ingots. Two Assemblers take incoming Copper Wire and Steel Pipes (manufactured elsewhere because I was making too much of them) and turns them into Rotors. The 120 ingots get lifted to...

Level 2:

8 Constructors make Iron Rods, 70 of which are then lifted to...

Level 3:

Where 7 more Constructors turn iron rods into screws, and somehow merge them and split them into 3 equal belts (which would be easier if I had a belt that could take 280 screws a minute!) and sends them to...

Level 4:

The top, open air floor where 3 more Assemblers take the 50 iron rods from floor 2 and the 280 screws from floor 3 to make rotors, allowing this one last assembler -

to poot out a whopping 5 motors a minute.

And now I have to paint the loving thing.

:sigh:

In retrospect, I should have just dropped down some Assemblers and linked up my storage area to them and let them slowly churn away, and just assumed that I'd be making more of the original parts than I needed (though maybe I needed to up screw production). That would have been a lot less work, and it would have required only a minor overhaul of my storage area. But at least now I can just let this run and get all the motors I'll ever need.

I hope I need a lot of them.

Lycentia
Jul 30, 2009

It's the suit.

skeleton warrior posted:

And now I have to paint the loving thing.

:sigh:

Right click with the color gun equipped and change the colors on the selected preset to modify all buildings and walls you've already deployed.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Lycentia posted:

Right click with the color gun equipped and change the colors on the selected preset to modify all buildings and walls you've already deployed.

Wait, are you saying I can pick which pallet is the default pallet for newly built things?

If not, modifying the default orange would affect all of my machines that I actually want to be orange.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah. It's the exact same setup that works offline. In fact, just to test, we took the save offline and it worked fine without any modifications

I guess it isnt universal though

You're in luck!

quote:

We’ve got a tiny patch coming out today to address a crash bug and Truck Stations fuel inventory breaking when a client interacts with the building. Additionally, all languages have gotten the latest translation updates.

Cheers <3

Patch Notes: Early Access - v0.3.5.3 - Build 124884

BUG FIXES
• Fixed a crash that could occur when the Steam login status got refreshed
• “Received” is now spelled correctly in the Hub
• Fuel inventory in Truck Stations no longer breaks after a client player interacts with the building

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Jesus loving christ in heaven this took a lot of time. Holy gently caress. At least now I get 2.81 heavy modular frames per minute.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Black Griffon posted:

Jesus loving christ in heaven this took a lot of time. Holy gently caress. At least now I get 2.81 heavy modular frames per minute.

That's a really nice looking building. I never enclosed any of my factory, it just felt unsatisfying. They should give you some kind of production bonus, or weather considerations that gamify making buildings, i think that would keep me more engaged in the cosmetic aspects of the game.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Couple of questions:

1. Will the higher mark miners overbuild the lower mark miners? Or is there a size difference? Just wanting to know how much room to leave before any splitters for future proofing.

2. Will I unlock better smelters? Or is the base 30/min smelter it? Not unlocking anything more efficient would explain some of the alternate recipes I saw. My first reaction to iron ore + copper ore = iron ingots was “This seems like a waste”. But I kinda get it after playing a bit. Especially since I got the iron wire alternate recipe.

3. What tier unlocks a production facility that has a solid and liquid input? I unlocked an alternate recipe that uses water to make copper sheets, but I don’t seem to have the building available yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Orvin posted:

Couple of questions:

1. Will the higher mark miners overbuild the lower mark miners? Or is there a size difference? Just wanting to know how much room to leave before any splitters for future proofing.

2. Will I unlock better smelters? Or is the base 30/min smelter it? Not unlocking anything more efficient would explain some of the alternate recipes I saw. My first reaction to iron ore + copper ore = iron ingots was “This seems like a waste”. But I kinda get it after playing a bit. Especially since I got the iron wire alternate recipe.

3. What tier unlocks a production facility that has a solid and liquid input? I unlocked an alternate recipe that uses water to make copper sheets, but I don’t seem to have the building available yet.

(1) Yes, higher mark miners will overbuild lower mark ones just like conveyor belts.
(2) As far as I know the base smelter is it. If you want faster smelting you need to build more smelters or use alternate recipes.
(3) Tier 5 -> Oil Processing unlocks the Refinery, which is also used for non-oil-related solid+liquid recipes.