Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I love my Ridgid 6” orbital sander and it is awesome and makes flat stuff soooooo much faster than a 5”, but I don’t think it would be a good fit for curved stuff unless it is very large with very smooth curves. On the outside of a boat it would be awesome, on a human sized sculpture I think it might be useless.

It is MUCH heavier than the 5” Bosch and is definitely a 2 hander. I think it would wear you out working vertically. It also tends to jerk around and catch on rounded stuff a little more than the smaller one because it is more powerful? The Bosch 5” you have is the best one I have used (though I have never touched anything Festool). The dust collection on my 6” Ridgid is also terrible-I’m not sure if that’s because it makes a ton more dust faster or if it’s just a badly designed tool.

Again I’ve never touched a Festool, but I have come to the conclusion that small orbital sanders are basically consumable with a ~2yr lifespan because I’ve never had one that kept doing a good job for longer than that.

drat I knew this deep down.. I was really looking forward to half the vibrations but double the weight would be tiring as well. What does 2.5kg even weigh anyway. I guess the solution is finding ways to break up multi hour sessions

The catching part makes sense as well as the bigger sanders have ~5mm of movement vs ~2mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I've seriously beat up the baby bosch ROS20VSC, I loved it a lot but it's time to get a new one. Looking at the vibrations on the bigger ROS65VC, seems like a big upgrade as I tend to overwork myself after a few hours on the 20VSC. Any thoughts on this? I like to use my tools a little before buying them but unfortunately I cant right now. A lot of my work is on curves on sculpture if that changes your answer to a different sander. My price range is under $300. If there is something better out there I'm missing I'm all ears; I was leaning away from festool because I have easy access to bulk sandpaper and wasnt sure it was worth buying into their system. Dust collection is very low priority for me

This one might be better for the tool thread but any arborists out there who can speak on ms192-ms194 with a dime tip? Seems pretty sweet

The ROS65VC (GEX 125-150 AVE over here) is what I have. It's not light, that's for sure, though it can be used one-handed for short periods. Vibration is fine, dust collection is great with mesh pads. I've used it to sand a fair few walls and ceilings by this point, and while I'd not want to go heavier, it's feasible.

I would say it's best suited to horizontal work if you're at it for hours at a time, as would any other sander of the same weight or greater.

2.5kg is 5.5lbs if that's helpful. Double it and add 10%.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I looked it up and my Ridgid is 7.5lb so that is a fair bit heavier than the Bosch. Might be worth trying to find one you can actually hold in person.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't remember the details but I do remember watching this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3NGBo2M1Ps

That guy's a maniac. Wasn't that author he quoted the goon who wrote The Martian, or am I totally off base.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

I was given an old coffee table that needs a lot of help. I'm going to have to remove a bunch of metal hardware and some drawers and refinish basically the whole thing. The big question I have is about the top. It looks like it has an epoxy or resin layer maybe 2 or 3 mm thick that has cracked in several places. How the hell do I get that off the table? Is there a solvent that will strip it, or am I stuck trying to scrape it off?

Take photos for us. We'll need to see what that top really is. Try to get your photos in focus if you can? More light is always better.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mr. Mambold posted:

That guy's a maniac.

100%

Mr. Mambold posted:

Wasn't that author he quoted the goon who wrote The Martian, or am I totally off base.

Unknown, it was a while ago I watched it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jaded Burnout posted:

The ROS65VC (GEX 125-150 AVE over here) is what I have. It's not light, that's for sure, though it can be used one-handed for short periods. Vibration is fine, dust collection is great with mesh pads. I've used it to sand a fair few walls and ceilings by this point, and while I'd not want to go heavier, it's feasible.

I would say it's best suited to horizontal work if you're at it for hours at a time, as would any other sander of the same weight or greater.

2.5kg is 5.5lbs if that's helpful. Double it and add 10%.

Well drat I'm glad I asked here I have 100% changed my mind, gonna buy another little one I guess

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well drat I'm glad I asked here I have 100% changed my mind, gonna buy another little one I guess

I do still very much like it and I'm happy to answer any specific questions if you have them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

serious gaylord posted:

I'm seeing a lot more Eucalyptus faced ply than I used to in the UK. Its imo just as nice as Birch but a slightly more yellow colour with a lovely grain pattern. Im going to use a lot more of it.

And a big thank you to the people that posted about Sketchup. I had no idea there was still a free version and I was debating about picking it up as I have a fairly substantial project to build which I was sketching out on paper and tearing my hair out when I have to move measurements etc. Its been a revelation.

We are completely renovating our house and the lounge had an awful diy archway knocked between it and another room which was just tall enough for me to walk under, and in no way safe. So we knocked the crazy gremlin peoples archway down and were intending on just putting up a proper dividing wall in its place as my wife wants to keep a secure room that the dog/future children won't be able to get into for her sewing projects. That has now turned into a built in bookcase arrangement in place of said wall.

With the proposed colour scheme of the room a light wood would work best, and since I love Ash thats what its going to be. I'm going to build it out of 12 and 18mm ply, faced with Ash veneer. Trim and doors will be solid Ash, with a walnut inlay design that is to be confirmed. Shelving layout is temporary until the wife has decided just what she wants to put on them and in what layout.

But how do you access the other room you ask? Well I was just going to put a door in the middle like a normal person, but the wife suggested something a little more idiotic, and I loved the idea of it.

I've built a few doors in my time but nothing quite like this. A door with a bookcase on the front needs a fair bit of clearance to swing in which has gave me a headache working out how to get it to shut and remain 'hidden' and is the reason the vertical trim is so wide. It needs about 90mm of space to swing freely. A 45 degree mitre on the trim and a matching piece on the door then but up against each other when closed to (in theory) act as a door jam and locking mechanism in one. The trim on the other side and top also act as door jams. Speaking of the locking mechanism, haven't quite finalised the open/close feature yet. Wife is demanding a book for the classic touch. I'm thinking a sculpture with a hidden button ala 60's Batman. Wife will probably win.

I've also designed a break through point in the cupboards at the bottom for emergency access should the door lock fail where there will only be a 6mm thick bit of ply that I can smash through and crawl to the other side then replace. I've done my research on these and that seems to be the thing a lot of people forget and then have to take out most of the bookcase to remedy.

I'm quite excited about building this, just need to get the rest of the room up to the point where I can go hog wild.

Bhyo that looks like a blast of a project, please update the thread with relevant, erm updates. I assume you've already considered and then discarded the concept of movable shelving.

Ash is underrated imo. Soft Southern Ash, they called it was popular here when I got into residential trim & cabinetry, but the plywood you'd get to go with ash lumber was Japanese Sen. It just wasn't ever milled into plywood in the U.S. for idk why, except at arm & leg rates.
Flash forward, one learns that all Fender solid body guitars are made with ash or swamp ash now (don't know if there is a difference) partly because it's very tough, not brittle, but still workable unlike say, hickory. And ofc, the Japanese knockoff Fender styles all had Sen bodies. And they were great too.

This has been another episode of trivial FYI.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Bhyo that looks like a blast of a project, please update the thread with relevant, erm updates. I assume you've already considered and then discarded the concept of movable shelving.

Ash is underrated imo. Soft Southern Ash, they called it was popular here when I got into residential trim & cabinetry, but the plywood you'd get to go with ash lumber was Japanese Sen. It just wasn't ever milled into plywood in the U.S. for idk why, except at arm & leg rates.
Flash forward, one learns that all Fender solid body guitars are made with ash or swamp ash now (don't know if there is a difference) partly because it's very tough, not brittle, but still workable unlike say, hickory. And ofc, the Japanese knockoff Fender styles all had Sen bodies. And they were great too.

This has been another episode of trivial FYI.

Speaking of Fender. I am kind of disappointed with the Custom Shop Strat I got a while back, which now I notice has a visible seam where the wood of the body is joined.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

I do still very much like it and I'm happy to answer any specific questions if you have them.

Thanks but it's what my gut was telling me: that it wouldn't be comfortable using vertically one handed

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanks but it's what my gut was telling me: that it wouldn't be comfortable using vertically one handed

Good call. I don't skip arm day and it's not very comfortable for long term vertical use even with both hands.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hasselblad posted:

Speaking of Fender. I am kind of disappointed with the Custom Shop Strat I got a while back, which now I notice has a visible seam where the wood of the body is joined.

For a Custom Shop guitar? Yeah, if it's not nearly invisible I think kind of disappointed would be an understatement.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Soft bags or hard cases? (For tool storage)

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Soft bags or hard cases? (For tool storage)

I have a mixture of hard cases, soft bags and half & half bags.

Hard cases are good for tools with delicate protuberances, like dials or cutters or whatever that you wouldn't want to take a knock. Soft bags are good because they take up less space and/or you can fit more in them. Hard cases are good for consistency of size and format.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Hey all, I realized I haven't shared any of my progress on my art-deco inspired built-in shevles. Here is where they currently stand:

Its structurally complete, but I need to add trim, sand, and seal the shelves themselves before I can put all my books and stuff away. The standards/supports are anchored into the floor by way of two pins (lag screw with the heads cut off) that set into matching holes drilled into the hardwood floors (this was painful). They are also anchored up top with 4" deck screws that go through the ceiling and into the roof joist. They are solid as a rock!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Super Waffle posted:

Hey all, I realized I haven't shared any of my progress on my art-deco inspired built-in shevles. Here is where they currently stand:

Its structurally complete, but I need to add trim, sand, and seal the shelves themselves before I can put all my books and stuff away. The standards/supports are anchored into the floor by way of two pins (lag screw with the heads cut off) that set into matching holes drilled into the hardwood floors (this was painful). They are also anchored up top with 4" deck screws that go through the ceiling and into the roof joist. They are solid as a rock!

Why did you go into the floor and ceiling instead of studs?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hasselblad posted:

Have you told them about it?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
My parents just bought a newly built house and all of the closets and pantry have painted MDF shelving with this really odd texture on the edges. It feels like 100 grit sand paper and is not consistent at all. First thought was horrible tear out that got painted over but its not where the router bit grabbed. Second was texture in the paint but its way too thick in most areas and non existent in others, also the face of the shelves is smooth. Anybody have any clue whats going on here?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Popcorn ceilings making a comeback, and you'll never guess how.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Huxley posted:

Popcorn ceilings making a comeback, and you'll never guess how.

When I was househunting a year ago, one of the first places I toured, they had loving popcorn ceilinged every wall in the house

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_ceiling posted:

Popcorn was used pre-1970s and in early formulations, it often contained white asbestos fibers. When asbestos was banned in ceiling treatments by the Clean Air Act in the United States,[1] popcorn ceilings fell out of favor in much of the country.
Aesthetically and physically abhorrent.

I'm gonna build a low workbench out of a bunch of 2x4s but I don't have enough clamps. So I made six pairs of these ugly fuckers:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

JEEVES420 posted:

My parents just bought a newly built house and all of the closets and pantry have painted MDF shelving with this really odd texture on the edges. It feels like 100 grit sand paper and is not consistent at all. First thought was horrible tear out that got painted over but its not where the router bit grabbed. Second was texture in the paint but its way too thick in most areas and non existent in others, also the face of the shelves is smooth. Anybody have any clue whats going on here?

Looks to me like they sprayed it (maybe with the wrong settings) and just never, ever scuff-sanded? Probably a little roughness from the cut edges of the MDF didn't help. That or it's some new spray on edge protector treatment I've never heard of or something.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

JEEVES420 posted:

3" roller brush and some crap mixed in latex.

Sockser posted:

When I was househunting a year ago, one of the first places I toured, they had loving popcorn ceilinged every wall in the house

Grovering intensifes.....

anatomi posted:

I'm gonna build a low workbench out of a bunch of 2x4s but I don't have enough clamps. So I made six pairs of these ugly fuckers:

Aesthetically and physically abhorrent.

Agreed

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I'm happy that the washers hide most of the very severe blowout caused by me hand-drilling 24 holes in one session without using any sacrificial board.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm getting ready to jigsaw some holes into some boards, and I'm trying to figure out how to hold them to get enough blade clearance, which is tricky since the holes are a significant fraction of the whole piece (7-8" diameter in 10" squares). Right now I'm leaning to cutting ~3" long chunks of whatever stock I have around to put on the corners and center, but does anyone have know of a better set up?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Clamp a couple of 2x4s to your bench, sticking out over open space, then clamp your workpiece to the 2x4s? You may have to shift them around as you make your cuts to avoid cutting into them.

There's a knot on the slab I've been poking away at, which has three small cracks in the surface of the slab. Today I went to fill those cracks in with epoxy. Mixed up a small amount, poured it onto the slab, then started heat gunning it to get the bubbles out. Of course this also made the epoxy spread out into a puddle on the surface of the slab (I foolishly didn't have, like, a cylinder made out of paper to contain it). I'm hoping I can sand that out later without too much effort, because I don't think I want an epoxy finish on this piece. Anyway, the bubbles just kept coming out of those cracks; ultimately all of the epoxy either "wicked" into the cracks below the top of the slab, or was puddled out. I guess those cracks go pretty deep into the slab. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the job in a second pass after this stuff hardens.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

This is that maple piece you are working on? Have any pics sounds pretty interesting.

dupersaurus posted:

I'm getting ready to jigsaw some holes into some boards, and I'm trying to figure out how to hold them to get enough blade clearance, which is tricky since the holes are a significant fraction of the whole piece (7-8" diameter in 10" squares). Right now I'm leaning to cutting ~3" long chunks of whatever stock I have around to put on the corners and center, but does anyone have know of a better set up?

Put a few pieces of scrap down the same height around it flush (or less) screwed in instead of on it
Edit: I may be misinterpreting where you're running into issues, I thought you meant you couldn't clamp if and get a circle not that you needed clearance on the bottom

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 15, 2020

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

dupersaurus posted:

How many holes? Would it be worth rigging a table with the jigsaw inverted? Otherwise what you said/they said.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

This is what I did, if it helps.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Okay, so more-or-less what I was thinking. Thanks!

Mr. Mambold posted:

How many holes? Would it be worth rigging a table with the jigsaw inverted? Otherwise what you said/they said.

A few, but I already made a circle-cutting jig so hopefully that'll be good enough. That said, I wonder if I could set it up to move the piece instead of the saw...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Another approach is a sacrificial 2" thick piece of pink high-density insulation foam from your local big-box home improvement center. This is useful for several different operations where you want something to lay flat, you can clamp it if needed, and you want to slice or puncture or drill or otherwise mutilate your work piece and have something backing it up that you can go into, but it's wasting a whole bunch of/a really thick piece of wood, and also doesn't provide too much resistance. Plus if you don't happen to need to clamp, you can do it on the floor, which can be really nice when you need to get up above your workpiece or crawl across it. This can also help you deal with an uneven work surface, like a bumpy driveway or even your lawn.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leperflesh posted:

Another approach is a sacrificial 2" thick piece of pink high-density insulation foam from your local big-box home improvement center. This is useful for several different operations where you want something to lay flat, you can clamp it if needed, and you want to slice or puncture or drill or otherwise mutilate your work piece and have something backing it up that you can go into, but it's wasting a whole bunch of/a really thick piece of wood, and also doesn't provide too much resistance. Plus if you don't happen to need to clamp, you can do it on the floor, which can be really nice when you need to get up above your workpiece or crawl across it. This can also help you deal with an uneven work surface, like a bumpy driveway or even your lawn.

I really need to see a Youtube now of guys doing woodworking directly on their lawns.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

I really need to see a Youtube now of guys doing woodworking directly on their lawns.

I believe the tool of choice for these fine folks is the chainsaw.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Leperflesh posted:

I believe the tool of choice for these fine folks is the chainsaw.

Yes, but picture stakes driven as bench dogs and clamp rests. What is the grass of choice for good beltsanding traction? etc

Be sure when gluing up panels to check for dandelions between boards. You don't want that!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I mean if you arent licking your finger to see if the wind is about to pick up and blow dirt on your inprocess stain what are you even doing with your life

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

This is that maple piece you are working on? Have any pics sounds pretty interesting.

Yeah, still the same slab. Progress is veeeeeery slow. Here's a crappy phone pic of the knot:

Plus side is, whenever it's finally finished it should look fantastic. The epoxy is just a bit too plasticy and high-gloss for my tastes.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
This is a bit wood-adjacent but I don’t know where else to ask; I’ve made a small fibreglass sheet covered plywood boat and I’m at the endless sanding stage.

I just can’t tell by eye if it’s smooth enough, is there something I can do to... tint (?) the next coat of resin that’ll make it easier to see the smoothness that won’t mess up the water resistance and finish?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Reccomendation for a basic chisel set and a spokeshave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rapulum_Dei posted:

This is a bit wood-adjacent but I don’t know where else to ask; I’ve made a small fibreglass sheet covered plywood boat and I’m at the endless sanding stage.

I just can’t tell by eye if it’s smooth enough, is there something I can do to... tint (?) the next coat of resin that’ll make it easier to see the smoothness that won’t mess up the water resistance and finish?

You can generally add tints to epoxies and resins, and most manufacturers of resins/epoxies have tints they sell, or there's generic ones.

That said, can you not tell smoothness by feel? Or get a flashlight and put it right up next to the surface at an angle so you can see the reflectivity?