Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bartok posted:

Who is considered the worst second generation wrestler? I want to say Scott Putski or David Sammartino but I'm sure there is worse. Say what you will about David Flair and Erik Watts but I was at least entertained by how lovely they were.

greg gagne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Nah, Greg is one of those cases where somebody is only remembered for their worst gimmick or being a flop when they went past their natural ceiling. He was a fine worker and over as an upper-midcard babyface.

If you don't count guys like Erik Watts and David Flair because you find them funny, I'm gonna go with Mike Graham? But the actual worst is JJ

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

He was a decent worker, he just had the bad luck of A.) being asked to be as good as his dad, and B.) looking like a member of the Brady Bunch.

Like, look at him, compared to Hall and Hennig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQiHh82CDw

He doesn't look like a pro wrestler; he looks like a fan who snuck into the ring. There was no way he was going to be the face of the company, but they sure tried.

Edit: I still can't believe Hall never had a Magnum PI gimmick.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jeff Jarrett at least had some good matches, a Ted Dibiase Jr. or Bray Wyatt doesn't even have that.

E: If you're going by whose lows are most excruciating Shane McMahon has to be up there.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 15, 2020

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about, this dude is ALL MAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGGWSNGOp4

Honestly, I think Scott Putski is a good answer. List of accomplishments:
• Blew out his knee in a Light Heavyweight match on PPV against Brian Christopher
• Missy Hyatt wrote about how he was impotent and unable to have sex most of the time in her book.

I think that's it?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I Before E posted:

Jeff Jarrett at least had some good matches, a Ted Dibiase Jr. or Bray Wyatt doesn't even have that.

E: If you're going by whose lows are most excruciating Shane McMahon has to be up there.

Bray's had some decent matches, terrible booking has been most of his problem

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Depending on how we're defining "worst", Cody Hall deserves mention. Brought up in the business, intimidating physical attributes, at very best mediocre in the ring, and has never had a welcome he didn't wear out in weeks.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

davidbix posted:

I don't think Daniels was ever under a WWE contract, but I DO believe Bruce Prichard's claim that some version of the Greater Power storyline had Russo pitching Daniels for the role. When Russo had his second WCW run, it was full of weird WWF cosplay bullshit, most famously with Vampiro as Undertaker. Well, for one show, Vamp had some sort of master he talked to who cut a promo with his face not shown while wearing a Greater Power-style robe. It was very obviously Daniels, who was under WCW contract at the time. Like I said, it was for exactly one show, but it would make perfect sense that Russo threw the idea out in creative meetings.

Was Daniels doing the Fallen Angel bit at that point, or did he get the idea from being asked to poo poo like that?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Tato posted:

I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about, this dude is ALL MAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGGWSNGOp4

It kills me that Verne Gagne was just loving gifted a guy who was in a Rocky movie and another who was in GI Joe, and his promotion still collapsed. Like, Gagne had every chance in the world.

Halloween Jack posted:

But the actual worst is JJ

Jarrett is a vacuum of charisma and heat, but the guy was a mostly good wrestler once he ditched the stalling bullshit.

Randaconda posted:

Bray's had some decent matches, terrible booking has been most of his problem

When in the ring with good workers, Bray has more than held up his end of the bargain. He is never going to carry a bad worker or save a horrible match. His booking has been awful from the get-go, and his character is a wonderful concept with horrible, lovely execution. Like, what was the point of his family/cult? Who did they ever actually brainwash? What was their actual plan besides just laugh and act creepy? Who the hell was Sister whomever-the-gently caress? The Wyatt Family and the Fiend/Funhouse thing is just a shinier mid-90s WWF gimmick: "Here is a wrestling plumber/racecar driver/pig farmer/garbage man/fancy Italian. That's it, now cheer or boo."

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Halloween Jack posted:

But the actual worst is JJ

I agree. All the other great wrestling failsons went away after a couple of years.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember reading someone's deep dive into Greg's singles run, and they made the case that he was actually over even in his singles run, and the whole thing was botched by contract issues with Slaughter and/or Brody rather than the angle itself being a dud. No idea if that's true.

Red posted:

Jarrett is a vacuum of charisma and heat, but the guy was a mostly good wrestler once he ditched the stalling bullshit.
That's why he's bad. His work is not good enough to be entertaining and not bad enough to be entertaining. His bits were stolen from better wrestlers who were still wrestling on television at the time, so you are constantly reminded that you'd rather be watching Ric Flair.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 15, 2020

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, Bray very briefly had Daniel Bryan brainwashed, which helped Bryan get even more ridiculously over than he was already when he kneed Bray's face off. As a good heel should.

Aside from that, yeah. He's a nonstop exercise in very briefly being booked to have teeth, then cutting him off at the knees

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

It kills me that Verne Gagne was just loving gifted a guy who was in a Rocky movie and another who was in GI Joe, and his promotion still collapsed. Like, Gagne had every chance in the world.

When in the ring with good workers, Bray has more than held up his end of the bargain. He is never going to carry a bad worker or save a horrible match. His booking has been awful from the get-go, and his character is a wonderful concept with horrible, lovely execution. Like, what was the point of his family/cult? Who did they ever actually brainwash? What was their actual plan besides just laugh and act creepy? Who the hell was Sister whomever-the-gently caress? The Wyatt Family and the Fiend/Funhouse thing is just a shinier mid-90s WWF gimmick: "Here is a wrestling plumber/racecar driver/pig farmer/garbage man/fancy Italian. That's it, now cheer or boo."

The AWA did record business with Hogan and Hogan was never going to stay so he got everything out of Hogan that he was going to. Sgt Slaughter wasn't going to turn business around at that point.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Alberto del Rio or Tiger ali Singh

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

That's why he's bad. His work is not good enough to be entertaining and not bad enough to be entertaining. His bits were stolen from better wrestlers who were still wrestling on television at the time, so you are constantly reminded that you'd rather be watching Ric Flair.

I'm not gonna argue that.

DeathChicken posted:

Well, Bray very briefly had Daniel Bryan brainwashed, which helped Bryan get even more ridiculously over than he was already when he kneed Bray's face off. As a good heel should.

Aside from that, yeah. He's a nonstop exercise in very briefly being booked to have teeth, then cutting him off at the knees

I thought Bryan faked it all just to get in the cage alone with Bray and destroy him?

MassRafTer posted:

The AWA did record business with Hogan and Hogan was never going to stay so he got everything out of Hogan that he was going to. Sgt Slaughter wasn't going to turn business around at that point.

I thought Hogan left because Verne wanted a cut of his outside money or some other stuff?

My gripe with Slaughter was that Verne was never going to be able to figure out how to use stuff like the GI Joe fame to get more national exposure. I think you're right, though - by the time Sarge was in cartoons, the AWA was already trying to figure out how to keep from sinking.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember reading someone's deep dive into Greg's singles run, and they made the case that he was actually over even in his singles run, and the whole thing was botched by contract issues with Slaughter and/or Brody rather than the angle itself being a dud. No idea if that's true.

I would be interested in reading this if it's still around.

At least we'll always have the memories...

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

I thought Hogan left because Verne wanted a cut of his outside money or some other stuff?

My gripe with Slaughter was that Verne was never going to be able to figure out how to use stuff like the GI Joe fame to get more national exposure. I think you're right, though - by the time Sarge was in cartoons, the AWA was already trying to figure out how to keep from sinking.

Hogan was gone as soon as Vince called. Verne couldn't pay him the same, or make him a national star like Vince could (and did).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

I'm not gonna argue that.

I thought Bryan faked it all just to get in the cage alone with Bray and destroy him?

Hogan left because Vince McMahon offered him a huge contract to go with him. It's that simple. Vince had the most money to throw around because he had the most lucrative markets, he was always going to get Hogan.

As for Slaughter, he was never as good of a babyface as he was a heel. Pro Wrestling USA was at the height of him in GI Joe and he was positioned in main events for the New York market where he just didn't mean that much.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
I just looked back and one of the last thing Verne did before closing shop was sell Sgt. Slaughter VHS tapes in 1990 to try and leach off his WWE run

:sad:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I Before E posted:

Ted did a couple of tours of NOAH where he was in matches with KENTA & Bryan Danielson & Bison Smith & Marufuji & Akiyama & Misawa & Kanemaru & Shiozaki & Morishima. No, he's probably not ever done a **** match that wasn't some sort of multiman affair but he's more just mediocre than awful. He wasn't even the worst guy in Legacy (hello Manu)

Some names at least worth considering that haven't been mentioned are Lacey von Erich (though it's been a long time since I've seen her but my memories are she was doodoo), & Wes Brisco (who someone managed 2 bookings with New Japan during the Bruce Tharpe NWA feud?). And how about Sim Snuka, the worst guy in a tag team with Cliff Compton?

But anyway, it's Erik Watts but Cody Hall has done his best to give him a run for his money.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Does someone have the Edge watching Michigan J. Frog gif? It’s important.

Please, I beg of you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

forkboy84 posted:

Ted did a couple of tours of NOAH where he was in matches with KENTA & Bryan Danielson & Bison Smith & Marufuji & Akiyama & Misawa & Kanemaru & Shiozaki & Morishima. No, he's probably not ever done a **** match that wasn't some sort of multiman affair but he's more just mediocre than awful. He wasn't even the worst guy in Legacy (hello Manu)

Some names at least worth considering that haven't been mentioned are Lacey von Erich (though it's been a long time since I've seen her but my memories are she was doodoo), & Wes Brisco (who someone managed 2 bookings with New Japan during the Bruce Tharpe NWA feud?). And how about Sim Snuka, the worst guy in a tag team with Cliff Compton?

But anyway, it's Erik Watts but Cody Hall has done his best to give him a run for his money.

Its Alberto del Rio or Tiger Ali Singh

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lid posted:

Its Alberto del Rio or Tiger Ali Singh

Nah, Alberto is fine when he gives a poo poo, it's just he rarely does

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
How are we judging "worst", because I think it has to be a combination of "actual skill" and "amount of time people were subjected to them".

Like I'm confident there are dozens of wrestling offspring that are worse in the ring than Jeff Jarrett or Erik Watts but if like one of Stan Hansen's kids trained for four weeks and could never learn to tuck their chin and quietly left the business, they may be an awful wrestler but they never shat up the ring for years/decades.

Lots of good suggestions in general, were any of the following people promising at all? I believe they're all out of wrestling for one reason or another:

a) Richie/Ricky Steamboat Jr.
b) Brett Dibiase
c) Shaul Guerrero
d) Vader's kid
e) Sid's kid

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

How are we judging "worst", because I think it has to be a combination of "actual skill" and "amount of time people were subjected to them".

Like I'm confident there are dozens of wrestling offspring that are worse in the ring than Jeff Jarrett or Erik Watts but if like one of Stan Hansen's kids trained for four weeks and could never learn to tuck their chin and quietly left the business, they may be an awful wrestler but they never shat up the ring for years/decades.

Lots of good suggestions in general, were any of the following people promising at all? I believe they're all out of wrestling for one reason or another:

a) Richie/Ricky Steamboat Jr.
b) Brett Dibiase
c) Shaul Guerrero
d) Vader's kid
e) Sid's kid

I heard positive things about Richie, Brett and Shaul stank, never saw the last 2

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Randaconda posted:

Nah, Alberto is fine when he gives a poo poo, it's just he rarely does

Alberto is charged with rape amd kidnapping, burned every bridge he ever had, and will go down as having all the success he could possibly want handed to him by winning the genetic lottery and being born into Mexican lucha royalty. Hes a better looking Teddy Hart.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lid posted:

Alberto is charged with rape amd kidnapping, burned every bridge he ever had, and will go down as having all the success he could possibly want handed to him by winning the genetic lottery and being born into Mexican lucha royalty. Hes a better looking Teddy Hart.

I mean are we judging by whether someone is a huge piece of poo poo or whether they didn't accomplish anything, because Berto's one and not the other.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alberto is a horrendous human being and a replacement level worker at best

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1143688432499200001?s=20

joey has a point, plus on top of that he had a slot in the bullet club before he basically got thrown out of the company. burned plenty of other bridges after that as well including in NOAH.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 16, 2020

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

Ricky Steamboat Jr. was totally fine in NXT, his body just broke down on him. If it had held up, he would have been a totally fine babyface.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

Edit: I still can't believe Hall never had a Magnum PI gimmick.

He did; for a brief time he was called "Magnum" Scott Hall, but at the time it was considered just a lame ripoff of Magnum T.A.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Please, I beg of you.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

THANK YOU SO MUCH GOOD SAMARITAN

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

You're right, but if we include wrestling failsons that were so unsuccessful they don't even have a Wikipedia page, the question is too hard to answer

quote:

Like I'm confident there are dozens of wrestling offspring that are worse in the ring than Jeff Jarrett
:wrong:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jeff Jarrett and Greg Gagne absolutely do not belong in any discussion about who the worst wrestleson ever was. Both were pushed well beyond their level of ability or ideal card placing, but were perfectly acceptable and cromulent wrestlers in their own right.

Del Rio and the Colons, when motivated, are fine.

If we're talking about their quality as human beings, I suppose Del Rio would be one of the worst.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The actual worst is Shane McMahon.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Randaconda posted:

The actual worst is Shane McMahon.

Vince and Shane aren't wrestlers.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shane has wrestled enough high profile matches, and been terrible in every single one, that I'm comfortable including him in this discussion.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

verne and greg gagne only had 12,000 matches combined so it's not that different. plus you gotta consider that's a lot more practice to get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TriffTshngo posted:

Vince and Shane aren't wrestlers.