Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So if I own Hitman 1 & 2 and I want to play Hitman 1, I can buy the game of the year upgrade for 1 and that will let me add all the 1 content to 2, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If anyone else (besides me) was waiting on Troubleshooter to go on sale again, it's on sale this week, surprisingly ahead of the main summer sale. This is the anime xcom lots of people were talking about here last month until a separate thread was made.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

SirSamVimes posted:

So if I own Hitman 1 & 2 and I want to play Hitman 1, I can buy the game of the year upgrade for 1 and that will let me add all the 1 content to 2, right?

No the GOTY is separate from that: if you own HM1 levels, they can already be played in HM2. What the HM1 GOTY upgrade lets you do is play the Patient Zero minicampaign in HM2 + a unlocks a few other little bits and bobs.

Check in with the Hitman thread if you have any questions, the process can sometimes be obtuse due there being 2 different publishers involved.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ripper Swarm posted:

No the GOTY is separate from that: if you own HM1 levels, they can already be played in HM2. What the HM1 GOTY upgrade lets you do is play the Patient Zero minicampaign in HM2 + a unlocks a few other little bits and bobs.

Check in with the Hitman thread if you have any questions, the process can sometimes be obtuse due there being 2 different publishers involved.

If you buy the GOTY do the Elusive Target outfits from 1 carry over?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Orv posted:

Shipbreaker is you tearing apart ships while in a space dock in orbit in order to fund your escape to a better life somewhere else in human space. You do this by getting into a mild amount of debt to the corp that hired you and tearing apart those ships for their valuable bits. That trailer is all the ways it can go wrong. Also you have to pay for your own cloning which puts you more in debt.

Here's a more general overview one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN82DJGmq7o

this looks amazing. reminds me of the Expanse. wishlisted.

Begemot posted:

It really cannot be overstated how good the music and just... general aesthetics of Persona 4 are. The prospect of playing through dozens of hours of turn-based JRPG battles isn't so bad when this is constantly playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cbjrTNSq0I

Or this, when you're just wandering around town chatting with NPCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ue1JPFXEU

As for the writing, it's no Disco Elysium, but it's a fun little mystery with interesting characters.

a game where even the UI elements are too cool for school. and yeah, the music in the Persona games is maybe the best part of the whole experience imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQBbnP_uutA

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ripper Swarm posted:

The url in this link is the best way to explain how convoluted they made it. Like it makes sense once you get it but it's hard to explain without visualizing.
They backported/released more content after that image came out ofc.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Speaking of anime games, Mary Skelter is almost a decent turn-based blobber. I've been in the mood to play a more modern one and this was cheap so I took a dive. The story and characters are bad and the game is super horny but the dungeon design is actually pretty decent. I'm playing on hard and it's a fair challenge so far, too.

The major problem gameplay-wise is that the treasure chests are terrible. Like this is one floor of the 3rd dungeon.

It's pretty loving big and there's a bunch of dead ends and stuff but all that exploration goes to waste because every chest is filled with garbage like a basic healing potion and scraps of money. It kills the exploration element when you take a long detour that ends with a treasure chest and you know there is nothing in there worth picking up. It's such a bizarre design decision. I don't think I've come across one decent piece of equipment in the entire game so far. If there was just standard uninspired equipment in chests, the game would be much better.

So Mary Skelter, if you ignore all the story and t&a, it's almost okay. It's probably as a good a game as Idea Factory/Compile Heart can make.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

What's a blobber and where are the tits and rear end.

E: Ok I found them.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 15, 2020

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

more like persona non grata amirite?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I almost got SASO on the fashion show with the sniper rifle and fireworks show and ten-second-kill fiesta, and only didn't get the combo because the guards kept coming back from my distracting shot right as I made it to the helicopter. Bastards.

Felt good to get that though (in this case via reloading to when I was in the mansion still, and giving her a gentle push). It's amazing what NPCs won't notice.

Speaking of, I wonder where that vampire costume is, I think I'm at the Be An Idiot stage of this level now...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I changed my password and now the mobile app won't let me log in, like I'm putting in the exact password and account name, but it's saying they're incorrect? whyyyy

edit: now it's working, took like 20 minutes for it to allow it, cool

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 15, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Orv posted:

Shipbreaker is you tearing apart ships while in a space dock in orbit in order to fund your escape to a better life somewhere else in human space. You do this by getting into a mild amount of debt to the corp that hired you and tearing apart those ships for their valuable bits. That trailer is all the ways it can go wrong. Also you have to pay for your own cloning which puts you more in debt.

I've been hyped for this one since the first announcement video. Surprised it's being released so soon, even in early access I thought it was still a ways off!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Orv posted:

do we know if this game will have coop or if its singleplayer only. It looks like a ton of fun, but might be a bit of a harder sell for me if i cant vent my friends into an explosive reactor

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I have most of the Season 1 stuff except for the outfit/gun bundle and the Patient Zero campaign.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Ciaphas posted:

I almost got SASO on the fashion show with the sniper rifle and fireworks show and ten-second-kill fiesta, and only didn't get the combo because the guards kept coming back from my distracting shot right as I made it to the helicopter. Bastards.

Felt good to get that though (in this case via reloading to when I was in the mansion still, and giving her a gentle push). It's amazing what NPCs won't notice.

Speaking of, I wonder where that vampire costume is, I think I'm at the Be An Idiot stage of this level now...

Have you unlocked all starting locations/item drops yet?
It's P easy to snipe them both once you do a certain exploding event and get a sniper from a boat.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

do we know if this game will have coop or if its singleplayer only. It looks like a ton of fun, but might be a bit of a harder sell for me if i cant vent my friends into an explosive reactor

Their FAQ basically says who knows what the future may bring, but right now they are 100% focused on singleplayer only.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

StarkRavingMad posted:

Their FAQ basically says who knows what the future may bring, but right now they are 100% focused on singleplayer only.

fair enough. i cant imagine what a nightmare itd be to sync up all the physics for multiplayer, but a man can dream tho :allears:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Here's a really neat small gameplay walkthrough of Shipbreaker by the devs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uga0SytCv5I

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zedd posted:

Have you unlocked all starting locations/item drops yet?
It's P easy to snipe them both once you do a certain exploding event and get a sniper from a boat.

I've finished unlocking everything for that mission with that last run now, yeah. And that includes that sniper feat anyway, so I'm not too bothered. Getting in and out with the fireworks trigger without changing clothes taught me a lot about how the ai, stealth, distractions, and even camera works. Should help going forward, but I still got more stuff to look at in this level somehow :psypop:

Also taught me the rules of SA. it took me a while to work out that killing a guard was stopping me - I kept thinking there must have been someone seeing him die and that was the problem, not me being slightly indiscriminate :eng99:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 16, 2020

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
One neat thing about the P4G PC port that I read about and didn't know, in the Vita you could make some difficulty adjustments after you finished once, in a NG+. On Steam, you can change those from the start, and they seem quite nice

Not that it ever was a grindy series, but more Exp and Money is an interesting individual setting and would smooth things over for the folks that want to make some very specific fusions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

waaaaaaaant

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

StarkRavingMad posted:

This is the first actual gameplay i've seen of this and I was sold before on the concept but this looks real cool. Feels like it'd be easy for them to add content to the game too by introducing new ship designs over time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I was hoping the cutting and breaking would be a bit more freeform, like Tiny & Big. Looks slightly more constrained that that.

Otherwise looks quite fun.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

500 years from now on some parallel Earth that didn't destroy itself, someone is going to wonder why people of the past made a videogame simulating their lovely dayjob.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

GrandpaPants posted:

500 years from now on some parallel Earth that didn't destroy itself, someone is going to wonder why people of the past made a videogame simulating their lovely dayjob.
I dunno, Doom's pretty good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hitman 2 wouldn't let me poison the toothpaste in the intro mission 0/10

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Toothpaste is already poison, you're not supposed to eat it!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

do you swallow your toothpaste

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SirSamVimes posted:

Hitman 2 wouldn't let me poison the toothpaste in the intro mission 0/10

why would you tell on yourself like this

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

No but I figured that this is video game poison so it going in the target's mouth would be good enough!!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I borrowed P4 on PS2 from a friend and put maybe 15 hours into it before Golden was announced, I put the original aside thinking I'd get to Golden one day and now I have I am very disappointed they changed the theme song

https://gamesgds.com/persona-4-golden-how-to-fix-intro-ps2-mod/

You can revert to the original intro. It's much better

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aphex Twin's hot new single; Toothpaste Eater

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
Since we don't have a general Q&A thread & I'm trying to avoid the main XCOM thread for fear of spoilers, I'm asking this here:

For XCOM: Chimera Squad, are all the buyable stuff like grenades etc 1 time use only, or unlimited use? I want to buy some good stuff like giving my agents 2 actions etc from the market, but if it's 1 time only, I don't think they're worth it.

Also, any missables? Or if I play long enough, I can pretty much get 100% of the stuff in game? Not sure how strict the doomsday timer in this game is.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Once per mission, but they replenish each mission.

There's more characters than you can have in a single game, so if you want to play with every agent it would take at least two playthroughs. You may also not see every epic weapon, but that's not really a big deal.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

srulz posted:

Since we don't have a general Q&A thread & I'm trying to avoid the main XCOM thread for fear of spoilers, I'm asking this here:

For XCOM: Chimera Squad, are all the buyable stuff like grenades etc 1 time use only, or unlimited use? I want to buy some good stuff like giving my agents 2 actions etc from the market, but if it's 1 time only, I don't think they're worth it.

Also, any missables? Or if I play long enough, I can pretty much get 100% of the stuff in game? Not sure how strict the doomsday timer in this game is.
Finite uses per mission but the item itself is an infinitely-restocking piece of equipment. You'll only strictly have to buy it once to be able to use it in as many missions as you want.

The way the game timer works, you'll eventually have to advance the story even if you choose to delay getting intel to speed the timer along, and meanwhile I believe the special (purple) missions are unique and you could potentially "miss" doing those if you choose to go elsewhere on the strategic turn layer. The doomsday ticker is still pretty lenient though and there's a lot of ways to set back the anarchy as long as you're putting any effort into it.

You'll never have all of the agents available on a single playthrough, and the final missions for each faction change depending on the order you do the three factions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

srulz posted:

Grenades etc are unlimited use, but you only a single soldier can equip them per purchase. Buy two [two piles of?] plasma grenades, two soldiers can use them with with stock replenishing between missions. Other stuff like guns and armour and medkit upgrades are squad-wide and unlimited.

The only thing missable are cheevos and opting out of a mission you don't want to play. Also there's 12 agents but you only get 8 per playthrough. It's not a jrpg, no hidden 'gotchas'. The doomsday timer btw... is a complete joke. Nobody has even gotten it up halfway yet. $10 Coronavirus rushjob game, it has a few rough edges.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

my experience with trying to play hitman again so far is the same as the previous one: I do the tutorials and think I've got a handle on things, then I load up Paris and I'm just completely overwhelmed by how big the area is and how many moving parts there are on set timers. This time I managed to make a poisoned drink, heard that the target was going to do a speech and infiltrated the upper floor, then saw the stage was empty so I'd taken too long to get the upstairs uniform, Instinct said that the target was in the bathroom throwing up but by the time I found the stairs back down he had recovered. I am bad at this. :saddowns:

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're very hard games to master! Stick with it if you feel up to it, the pay off for a SA run is a real good high.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015
If I like Fire Emblem, would Troubleshooter be a good fit for me as well?

I'm a big fan of tactical rpgs as my very first exposure to video games was Shining Force 2 and I would prefer if the battle system is not too complex and convoluted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm jiving with Troubleshooter in a way that I didn't with XCom 2 or Chimera Squad. Maybe it's just the ludicrous amount of design that went into the game, although it's still kinda weirdly janky in some ways. Like Motivation, I can see as a sort of system to discourage players from just using their favorite characters, but then you can just, like, wait in real time for Motivation to replenish? Like it's a mobile game or something?

But yeah, really fun game.