Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/wizkidsgames/status/1272608147962822657

Looking through the games, it's not like, a big deal, but worth sharing at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

GrandpaPants posted:

Looking through the games, it's not like, a big deal, but worth sharing at least.

For a moment, before I clicked on the link, I was worried that he might have designed a good game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've never heard of a single one of those.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Here lies Robert Burke
He never scored

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I can't imagine that was a tough call for Wizkids. "What's that, some hack who no one cares about is spouting off in the most sensitive time in recent memory? Thanks for the ten seconds of positive press, fucker."

Side note: which one of you did this?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

I can't imagine that was a tough call for Wizkids. "What's that, some hack who no one cares about is spouting off in the most sensitive time in recent memory? Thanks for the ten seconds of positive press, fucker."

Side note: which one of you did this?

None of us, unless Matt Thrower of There Will Be Games is a goon.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

djfooboo posted:

Didn’t Splendor cheapen our in recent printings too? Lowered the chip weight if I recall.

Yeah the new editions have chips that feel like they're hollow inside. Awful!

I don't hate Splendor but it is very dry and can be quite mechanical. THAT SAID I have played a lot of it and it is easy to understand and for some reason it scratches a light-weight filler game itch that almost everyone likes that I cannot explain. I won't play it with two of my friends though, because they're obsessive about it and get real quiet and just turn into weird chip/card taking automatons because they've played so much of it and are so competitive. Deeply unfun experience when you'd expect them to be the opposite because of their hundreds of plays.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 16, 2020

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

I don't hate Splendor but it is very dry and can be quite mechanical. THAT SAID I have played a lot of it and it is easy to understand and for some reason it scratches a light-weight filler game itch that almost everyone likes that I cannot explain. I won't play it with two of my friends though, because they're obsessive about it and get real quiet and just turn into weird chip/card taking automatons because they've played so much of it and are so competitive. Deeply unfun experience when you'd expect them to be the opposite because of their hundreds of plays.

I find it weird when people get very competitive in games that don't work well competitively: Catan, DC Deckbuilder (really!), Lords of Waterdeep... Splendor.

Being serious into Splendor is like being a connoisseur of mayonnaise.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Looking at that list, easiest boycott ever.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I’ve been boycotting him since birth

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Does anyone here have thoughts on Nemo's War Second Edition? Im interested in adding another primarily solo game to the collection and have read some good things but usually folks here are pretty good at rating if stuff lives up to the hype.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I am shocked that the designer of "most offensive band name generator" has idiotic opinions.

How do hacks like this get paid? I feel as if we could draw a random username from this thread out of a hat and give that person 24h and they'd come up with better games.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Grundma posted:

Does anyone here have thoughts on Nemo's War Second Edition? Im interested in adding another primarily solo game to the collection and have read some good things but usually folks here are pretty good at rating if stuff lives up to the hype.

I have really enjoyed my two plays of it. Theme hits on all cylinders, interesting decision space, can mitigate dice rolls with smart plays usually, stressful in a good way, gorgeous art. It’s pretty pricey and I would def try before you buy if you don’t have much trad game budget.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

How do hacks like this get paid? I feel as if we could draw a random username from this thread out of a hat and give that person 24h and they'd come up with better games.

https://i.imgur.com/FSlEfg5.mp4

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I love it when "no such thing as bad publicity" types completely misread the room and go "hey, great opportunity to distinguish my brand!" :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jedit posted:

Andrew McNeil, designer of Kingmaker and author of the Battlegame Books, has passed away.
I don't know who that is, but it's still sad to see.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

CommonShore posted:

Oh we tried that already. It sells ok, but people keep calling it depressing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gutter Owl posted:

Oh we tried that already. It sells ok, but people keep calling it depressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4Ozqt7338

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
People like Robert Burke sign deals with WizKids. Meanwhile I can't even get a pitch meeting.

I did however break 1600 downloads in The Bundle so far so that's cool.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

FulsomFrank posted:

I think Splendour is fine really, like you say it's super dry, the theme is a very thin veneer over the mechanics. I think Kings Guild is a bit more of a fun implementation of the splendour mechanics with a bit more to do in it.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
The group that Robert Burke runs on FB is a dumpster fire, as is the spin off 'Tabletop gamers against violence'. Just more top-cover for alt-right.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Here's the Pan Am manual that was posted on BGG for a while. I'm hoping this is okay since the manual is fully visible in Vasel's unboxing video, but I can take down the link if it's not!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I don't know who that is, but it's still sad to see.

The Battlegame Books are mostly known in the UK. They were books with a bit of discussion of a period in military history and four small simple wargames.

Kingmaker, though, was one of Avalon Hill's early ventures into real boardgames. It's worth reading about as it was a counterpart to Diplomacy.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Are the d4 that come with Kemet a special size? I want to get some for the KS copy since I sold my old.copy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

Are the d4 that come with Kemet a special size? I want to get some for the KS copy since I sold my old.copy.

They're approximately one inch on a side. It doesn't matter what size the original board is, though, the Kemet 2 board is scaled up for their plastic bollocks.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

They're approximately one inch on a side. It doesn't matter what size the original board is, though, the Kemet 2 board is scaled up for their plastic bollocks.

Fair. I'd still like them. Gonna search for some thst will hopefully work.

If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate it! The KS said they had no plans to add OG dice as an add on

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Stickman posted:

Here's the Pan Am manual that was posted on BGG for a while. I'm hoping this is okay since the manual is fully visible in Vasel's unboxing video, but I can take down the link if it's not!

Got it thanks! Planning to buy it when it comes to Target on the 21st.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

"This game is called saving people, you can go four spaces or five, but if you end up in the black hole you lose, get to the end and save the person"

You can't fool me, kid, that's clearly high frontier.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Stickman posted:

Thanks for posting this!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I realize this may make some people uncomfortable, but it's my hobby too and I'd like to get your thoughts and hopefully your help in this.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2439979/article/35118071#35118071

quote:

My point is that racism is a problem caused by white people and white people need to fix it. So saying that there should be more black designers, publishers, etc just puts fixing the problem back on black people. And then when black people don't come roaring in to yet again save the day, white people can cast blame on them ("obviously they don't care") and keep going about supporting systemic racism.

So again, the hobby needs to fix this. BGG needs to work on fixing this by noting games (or having a dedicated comment section) that are either exploit indigenous people, have racist themes, or are promoting racism. Games that are inclusive such as Pax Pamir 2nd edition and other games should be noted as well. I'd like to point out that Rio Grande Games just released Nevada City, a game set in the Wild West that includes black, Mexican and Asian people. Vote with your dollars or at least send them a note saying you appreciate the novel approach to the Wild West. The historical wild west did indeed include those people, but no other game that I've seen has included them, they've all been about white cowboys and white people.

So progress can be made, we just need to keep our foot on the accelerator.
Posted in the Black Lives Matter thread.

I do hope that you can consider these issues when choosing what to play, especially if it's historical. I'm not saying don't play them (I play 18xx games and robber barons were some of the worst corporate people ever) but be aware of the context and look up the inclusive history if the game is historical.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

I realize this may make some people uncomfortable, but it's my hobby too and I'd like to get your thoughts and hopefully your help in this.

I do hope that you can consider these issues when choosing what to play, especially if it's historical. I'm not saying don't play them (I play 18xx games and robber barons were some of the worst corporate people ever) but be aware of the context and look up the inclusive history if the game is historical.

Agree 100%. Pointing out systemic racism helps to de-normalize it. People like to say they don't want to deal with political or social issues in their hobby (be it games or movies etc). And that's total horseshit. If my hobby is watching "Birth of a Nation" I don't get to ignore the context and message it sends.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Publishers get a pass constantly. Whitewashed games like Macaraibo still get released to this day, and the predominantly white male gamers who bought it are the ones who want to keep 'politics' out of gaming.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I meant to post the full thing, sorry

quote:

My point is that racism is a problem caused by white people and white people need to fix it. So saying that there should be more black designers, publishers, etc just puts fixing the problem back on black people. And then when black people don't come roaring in to yet again save the day, white people can cast blame on them ("obviously they don't care") and keep going about supporting systemic racism.

So again, the hobby needs to fix this. BGG needs to work on fixing this by noting games (or having a dedicated comment section) that are either exploit indigenous people, have racist themes, or are promoting racism. Games that are inclusive such as Pax Pamir 2nd edition and other games should be noted as well. I'd like to point out that Rio Grande Games just released Nevada City, a game set in the Wild West that includes black, Mexican and Asian people. Vote with your dollars or at least send them a note saying you appreciate the novel approach to the Wild West. The historical wild west did indeed include those people, but no other game that I've seen has included them, they've all been about white cowboys and white people.

So progress can be made, we just need to keep our foot on the accelerator.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mayveena posted:

I don't like empty quoting just to amplify, but I think it's a good point and line of reasoning overall. I feel like I should have thoughts but I don't have anything to add at this point - can you elaborate a bit on how a better version of this could look within game design and game publishing?

(like, I understand the problems with representations of race and colonialism as represented in gaming, and I agree with that criticism)

One problem I do see is that game publishing is so faceless that a consumer's only hint (short of spending lots of time researching designers) is the designer's name. There's two problems there - it means that designers of colour are only easily recognizable if they have an "ethnic" name, so it falls into that trap of "normal" and "ethinic," with the assumption that "designers are white unless they're not." Second, it can be easily faked, see: Harry Wu.

I guess if we're going to follow this broader line of inquiry, there needs to be some way of putting the designer's identity more into the product. I don't spend a lot of time learning about designers and who they are. I buy games that I like based on themes and mechanics, largely through recommendations in this thread. I'd be very interested in playing good games by designers of colour though, especially if they can do something to expose the basic assumptions that (white) consumers make about board gaming. I recognize that "good games" could be an assumption in itself, but I have no interest in playing a garbage game just because of its designer's identity (lord forbid eg "CAH but it's designed by African Americans", just to clarify what I mean in this respect - I want a well-designed and thoughtful game).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Mayveena posted:

I would totally buy all of a series critiques of race, colonialism, imperialism, class, representation, sex, gender, and the like in traditional games. I would especially appreciate it if it were indexed by game or game element, so that I could incorporate that information when I teach a specific game.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CommonShore posted:

I don't like empty quoting just to amplify, but I think it's a good point and line of reasoning overall. I feel like I should have thoughts but I don't have anything to add at this point - can you elaborate a bit on how a better version of this could look within game design and game publishing?

(like, I understand the problems with representations of race and colonialism as represented in gaming, and I agree with that criticism)

One problem I do see is that game publishing is so faceless that a consumer's only hint (short of spending lots of time researching designers) is the designer's name. There's two problems there - it means that designers of colour are only easily recognizable if they have an "ethnic" name, so it falls into that trap of "normal" and "ethinic," with the assumption that "designers are white unless they're not." Second, it can be easily faked, see: Harry Wu.

I guess if we're going to follow this broader line of inquiry, there needs to be some way of putting the designer's identity more into the product. I don't spend a lot of time learning about designers and who they are. I buy games that I like based on themes and mechanics, largely through recommendations in this thread. I'd be very interested in playing good games by designers of colour though, especially if they can do something to expose the basic assumptions that (white) consumers make about board gaming. I recognize that "good games" could be an assumption in itself, but I have no interest in playing a garbage game just because of its designer's identity (lord forbid eg "CAH but it's designed by African Americans", just to clarify what I mean in this respect - I want a well-designed and thoughtful game).

You're saying exactly why I don't feel the focus should be on the race of the designer. For all most people know, Alan R. Moon could be black right? (He's not!) So instead of focusing on the race of the person, focus on the content which is something we all can see. Eric Lang is black, but his games don't focus on his race. And that's fine, again it's not his job to fix the euro centrism of the hobby, and if he benefits from it, then at least a black man is getting paid from a white hobby. I don't know if everyone knows this, but Eric is Canadian, not from the US. Back in slave days, Canada was the end point for the Underground Railroad once the Fugitive Slave Act was passed. So I don't know what the black racial history actually is there and what he would consider his black experience would probably not model the experience of what many black men experience here in the US.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Boxes inside boxes!

Characters!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mayveena posted:

You're saying exactly why I don't feel the focus should be on the race of the designer. For all most people know, Alan R. Moon could be black right? (He's not!) So instead of focusing on the race of the person, focus on the content which is something we all can see. Eric Lang is black, but his games don't focus on his race. And that's fine, again it's not his job to fix the euro centrism of the hobby, and if he benefits from it, then at least a black man is getting paid from a white hobby. I don't know if everyone knows this, but Eric is Canadian, not from the US. Back in slave days, Canada was the end point for the Underground Railroad once the Fugitive Slave Act was passed. So I don't know what the black racial history actually is there and what he would consider his black experience would probably not model the experience of what many black men experience here in the US.

Ok (to summarize and paraphrase to close the loop and to make sure I'm understanding you correctly) you feel that the best path forward is in examining game content critically and in developing a strong, open, and supportive critical community around board gaming?

(if that's the case...)

How does this reach out to people who are less engaged in the board game metadiscourse? Is it a trickle-down effect where game design and publication slowly responds to the critical discussion? How does this look for existing problematic designs? Would it be better for something like Puerto Rico to do what it can to mitigate the awfulness of what it's actually representing (purple colonists instead of brown, changing the names of various slavery-associated buildings such as "Hacienda" perhaps) or to face and accept that history behind its theme and represent it plainly? Or is there a way to do both together?

(I know you've addressed this already a bit, but I'm interested and trying to wrap my head around it as best I can)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I disagree that representation and diversity aren't important when their not visible, simply because diversity of voices will come through in the works themselves. I think the point of the OP (from the BLM thread) is just that focusing on representation alone is not enough, especially when it puts the responsible on those groups for their under-representation without the systemic problems that make it difficult in the first place. It's simply not possible to improve representation without addresses the barriers that keep people out of the field in the first place.

It's like women in engineering - we've had a few decades of large efforts to recruit women into those programs, but they've been largely unsuccessful at retaining women because the academic and professional cultures are hugely toxic. It's impossible to increase diversity without expunging the toxic elements that make those groups or fields less welcoming (ie miserable) for people from under-represented groups.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Ok (to summarize and paraphrase to close the loop and to make sure I'm understanding you correctly) you feel that the best path forward is in examining game content critically and in developing a strong, open, and supportive critical community around board gaming?

(if that's the case...)

How does this reach out to people who are less engaged in the board game metadiscourse? Is it a trickle-down effect where game design and publication slowly responds to the critical discussion? How does this look for existing problematic designs? Would it be better for something like Puerto Rico to do what it can to mitigate the awfulness of what it's actually representing (purple colonists instead of brown, changing the names of various slavery-associated buildings such as "Hacienda" perhaps) or to face and accept that history behind its theme and represent it plainly? Or is there a way to do both together?

(I know you've addressed this already a bit, but I'm interested and trying to wrap my head around it as best I can)

That's how the whole Euro game thing got started right? People really liked Catan and wanted more games like that. What I'm saying is that we need to point out more inclusive games and help make them profitable in order to get publishers to print more of them. And to especially register our dissatisfaction with games that present a solely Euro-centric point of view. Let's hope that BGG does do something about those games, either allowing comments in a special section or commenting themselves.