Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/15/indomitus-focus-the-canoptek-reanimatorgw-homepage-post-3/

Looks like this weeks 9th ed focus is going to be more about the new box units. So today we have a rules preview for the Canoptek Reanimator, aka that big walker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Gameko posted:

I'm pretty sure there are two of the sister's boxes available from Battleground games in Saugus, MA. You could email them to see if they'll ship them. They're offering them at retail, because those are the kinds of cool people they are.

I'm in the UK, so the shipping will be killer. Thanks though! Got a box already but I've completely hosed up the paintjob so probably need another one to paint properly.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

tomdidiot posted:

I'm in the UK, so the shipping will be killer. Thanks though! Got a box already but I've completely hosed up the paintjob so probably need another one to paint properly.

Unless you did something really spectacular*, you can almost certainly strip off your bad paint job and redo it. It can be frustrating and demoralizing, but whenever I come back around and redo something it ends up feeling pretty good to repair my mistakes. There is also a lot that can be done to improve on a job without starting all over, depending on how it was executed. If you share your work in the mini thread you can certainly find some help!

* the only time I have had models be really unrecoverable is if someone painted them with something like an enamel paint, or managed to glob so much plastic glue onto something it has bubbled and distorted the model itself. Although the new high-detail miniatures are more fussy, you can really get close to a clean start!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Dunno if this has been posted yet or not, but the full rules for the Custodes from War of the Spider have leaked out.

Edit: Spending 1 CP to make one of your shield-captains be able to get CP back after you spend them on a 5+ seems like an auto-include in every army. So valuable.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 15, 2020

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/15/forge-world-store-reopening-soonfw-homepage-post-1

Looks like Forge World is finally reopening this week on Wednesday.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Anybody else see a cute robo-turtle practicing on its stilts?

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 15, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Not just you.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Anybody else see a cute robo-turtle practicing on its stilts?

I see it.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Thanks! Painting on metal didn't feel any different honestly. The only real difference was the models are so top heavy it was hard to hold them at an angle to paint in the recesses.

Also thanks! I did get a wet palate made pretty quick after the first couple of attempts ended with all the paint dried, and I suspect that was one of my problems with the gold too (I heard you shouldn't put them on wet palates since the metal flakes can contaminate the water?) I'm not sure I made it correctly though, since the paper started forming beads of water on the surface, and occasionally the paint would suddenly absorb a lot of water when I didn't mean for it to.

I had some issues like this on my home brew wet palate as well. For me it was the sponge being unlevel/uneven. In the end I just bought one. You might try using a bit less water. Generally you want the sponge completely saturated but not swimming.

Metal paint is fine on your palate, in my experience, but watch out with your rinse water. Better to keep one jar for metallics and one for everything else or your flat colors end up sparkling.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I had a similar issue with paints drying immediately (I live in California) so I made my own out of a chinese takeout container.

One of these deals.

If you fold up a few damp paper towels on the bottom and put your slice of parchment paper on top it works pretty well. It even has a lid if you need to take a break. Though I left it for 3 days and that was too long and it all got watery.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/15/indomitus-focus-the-canoptek-reanimatorgw-homepage-post-3/

Looks like this weeks 9th ed focus is going to be more about the new box units. So today we have a rules preview for the Canoptek Reanimator, aka that big walker.

Seems like we got our first confirmation that the Command Phase basically works identically to Age of Sigmar. I wonder if other unit abilities, like Swarmy moving a unit of Tyranids, are going to get moved there.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Also thanks! I did get a wet palate made pretty quick after the first couple of attempts ended with all the paint dried, and I suspect that was one of my problems with the gold too (I heard you shouldn't put them on wet palates since the metal flakes can contaminate the water?) I'm not sure I made it correctly though, since the paper started forming beads of water on the surface, and occasionally the paint would suddenly absorb a lot of water when I didn't mean for it to.

How did you make it?

I made mine with a tupperware box with some kitchen roll (paper towels) in the bottom, with same greaseproof/baking paper on the top. I've never encountered this problem you're describing, but possibly it could be too much water in the bottom? If it's sort of swilling around in the bottom it's too much

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/15/faction-focus-necronsgw-homepage-post-4/
And apparently there was a 9th ed Faction focus for the 'Crons too.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

Kitchner posted:

How did you make it?

I made mine with a tupperware box with some kitchen roll (paper towels) in the bottom, with same greaseproof/baking paper on the top. I've never encountered this problem you're describing, but possibly it could be too much water in the bottom? If it's sort of swilling around in the bottom it's too much

Did exactly that. Got the whole thing wet then poured off the excess and put in the baking paper, so it didn't seem like there was too much water :iiam: I'll make another one up and try again, maybe with one of those thin sponges (when I get some primer so I have something to paint...)

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
The reaper is a strong gun but 14" range max is not exactly a strong selling point.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

And now we've got confirmation that d3 blast weapons are going to get max shots against units of 6 or more. Suddenly, Venom Cannons feel even nicer to bring along to the party.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
This might have been asked before, but as GW released some more details about the actual rules they're changing? For instance will there still be Toughness etc. or will they move to a system more similar like AoS? (yes, I'm a heretic)

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Furism posted:

This might have been asked before, but as GW released some more details about the actual rules they're changing? For instance will there still be Toughness etc. or will they move to a system more similar like AoS? (yes, I'm a heretic)

They're not removing toughness. They've said that all the current books work, which means the basic statline doesn't change.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Furism posted:

The new weapons still have Strength scores rather than To Wounds, so I'm pretty sure the Strength-Toughness split stays.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I think a to hit to wound AoS style might still be a bridge too far but having a command phase seems right.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Anti-Tachyon posted:

Did exactly that. Got the whole thing wet then poured off the excess and put in the baking paper, so it didn't seem like there was too much water :iiam: I'll make another one up and try again, maybe with one of those thin sponges (when I get some primer so I have something to paint...)

Sometimes I tip all the water out and then let it settle, and tip out loads more, it sort of being hidden by the kitchen roll. It could also be crap paper.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

For_Great_Justice posted:

I think a to hit to wound AoS style might still be a bridge too far but having a command phase seems right.

Yeah, agreed. The Command Phase seems like a great place to put more fiddly abilities so you don't forget about them and don't need to kludge them into other phases, but if you're going to get rid of Strength and Toughness you may as well get rid of wounds altogether IMO. They're already the klunkiest/least intuitive part of 40k IMO, and their main value comes from being a comparison between statlines (whereas To Hit is based on your unit and Saves are based on your opponent). Get rid of the comparative aspect, and what does the wound roll add?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Booley posted:

They're not removing toughness. They've said that all the current books work, which means the basic statline doesn't change.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'm a total newbie to both AoS (only ran like 4 games) and 40K (only ran very small, like 4-8 models games with friends) and to me the To Hit is easier (and I realize Strength/Toughness is just something I'd need to get used to) which is why I asked.

Thanks!

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Its another dial to adjust when you take modifiers and other unit abilities into account. I had the same thoughts when starting AoS ("4+ followed by 3+, why not just make it 5+?") and largely it plays out that most rolls will be unmodified but then you get abilities that allow re-rolls 1s on some rolls, or buffs that allow full re-rolls.

The main benefit is to take out the comparison step (and occasional look-up "was it T6 or T7?") to speed up rolls and resolution. Tough stuff in AoS will usually have high wounds and saves, but AoS combat is fairly brutal and big things die all the time.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Always be posting Thousand Sons.

so clean, so crispy

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
14" range is just kind of a bummer, but I guess the overall profile is better for killing Space Marines. Wounding on 3's and Saves on 4's is alright. If you can actually get off Rapid Fire with the new Dynasty it's pretty spicy.

It's an interesting space to explore in terms of design. Is there another army that does lots of damage at close range but isn't anything special at melee? I like that it makes them feel slow but deadly.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Somberbrero posted:

14" range is just kind of a bummer, but I guess the overall profile is better for killing Space Marines. Wounding on 3's and Saves on 4's is alright. If you can actually get off Rapid Fire with the new Dynasty it's pretty spicy.

It's an interesting space to explore in terms of design. Is there another army that does lots of damage at close range but isn't anything special at melee? I like that it makes them feel slow but deadly.

Space Marines will be saving on 5s, not 4s. An army like that is definitely Scions for guard. Their normal guns are only 18" but do a surprising amount of damage to just about anything.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Since it doesn’t say anything about it in the faction focus, it seems like they didnt change the resurrection protocols much, which is a shame. The implementation has been such a millstone around the neck of the necrons in 8th. It obviously has to be costed at something, but since it’s easy to circumvent by many armies, it ends up making all their units cost too much points-wise. I guess the new turtle on stilts helps some, maybe other new stuff will too but it doesn’t change the fundamental problem of units being killed to man easily, making their main gimmick completely useless. Well, I’m still holding out hope for a substantial change, despite it not being mentioned.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Since it doesn’t say anything about it in the faction focus, it seems like they didnt change the resurrection protocols much, which is a shame. The implementation has been such a millstone around the neck of the necrons in 8th. It obviously has to be costed at something, but since it’s easy to circumvent by many armies, it ends up making all their units cost too much points-wise. I guess the new turtle on stilts helps some, maybe other new stuff will too but it doesn’t change the fundamental problem of units being killed to man easily, making their main gimmick completely useless. Well, I’m still holding out hope for a substantial change, despite it not being mentioned.

With cover changing and points going up so that there's at least a bit less crap on the board it might be easier to have units survive long enough to WBB. At least, I see a ray of light on that side of the equation, more than likely it'll take some time to shake out and see if it matters in practice at all. Might be some Strats that help out as well, which will be a bit more accessible in general in 9th it seems like.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Unless you did something really spectacular*, you can almost certainly strip off your bad paint job and redo it. It can be frustrating and demoralizing, but whenever I come back around and redo something it ends up feeling pretty good to repair my mistakes. There is also a lot that can be done to improve on a job without starting all over, depending on how it was executed. If you share your work in the mini thread you can certainly find some help!

* the only time I have had models be really unrecoverable is if someone painted them with something like an enamel paint, or managed to glob so much plastic glue onto something it has bubbled and distorted the model itself. Although the new high-detail miniatures are more fussy, you can really get close to a clean start!

Speaking of, I'm still going to be furloughed for the next couple of months minimum and I'm thinking about stripping and repainting my older models.

I know Simple Green always gets talked about, but I'm not sure that's easily available in the UK. What's the best British equivalent.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
Get some biostrip 20 , I used to use simple green, but this stuff is 10x better.

It got some ancient plastic orks I had with awful car spay paint back to bare plastic. When simple green hardly dented them. Its readily available on Amazon UK too .

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not doing another one of these ever again. :v: probably eventually i'll go back and touch things up further, but it will look good on the table top, it's ready to play, that is all I cared about. This was fun to paint, and this vehicle is super badass. Worth the long wait for it to finally become available. This took me 3 days of painting or about 15 hours of careful attention to detail and it still doesn't match up to what Games Workshop is showing off on their website.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I'm not doing another one of these ever again. :v: probably eventually i'll go back and touch things up further, but it will look good on the table top, it's ready to play, that is all I cared about. This was fun to paint, and this vehicle is super badass. Worth the long wait for it to finally become available. This took me 3 days of painting or about 15 hours of careful attention to detail and it still doesn't match up to what Games Workshop is showing off on their website.

Very cool.

Fwippa-fwippa-fwippa-fwip.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Slab Squatthrust posted:

What base color did you start with on these dudes? They look amazing, and I might steal that snakebite gold look for some dwarves I'm about to paint.

Thanks! Gray Seer, but the pre-shade wash* and white drybrush covers it up pretty heavily, so in practice I could probably use basically any light-colored undercoat.

A different model, but here's how my stuff looks before the Contrast starts going down:

(Also here's that same guy showing how Snakebite Leather with some minimal and TBH pretty random yellow and white highlights makes a very workable NMM gold - same for Basilicanum Gray and grey /white highlights for steel.)

*Nuln Oil thinned a bit with medium would work, but because I have to make everything difficult I mix something out of Vallejo black ink, Vallejo smoke and matte medium.

(Sorry they're not-thread-appropriate AoS models - I don't have any process pics of 40K stuff.)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm looking for advice on this army cause I'm kinda new and just want to know if there are some major flaws or things to avoid. I think it will suck against horde armies but be decent against low model count armies.

https://pastebin.com/QkJiQzLL

Thanks.

Hard to say, because with 9th right around the corner, we don't know all the new rules, and while we know that points are going up across the board, we don't know by how much on a per unit basis. So that army will definitely be out of date once 9th hits, but by how many points? Who knows? :shrug:

Furthermore, you're using the new Serberys and Pteraxii units that no one's had a chance to play with yet, making analysis even more difficult.

And finally, while I've dipped my toes into AdMech, I'm primarily a Guard/Knights/Marines player. So take what I'm saying here with a grain of salt. These are more impressions I've gotten than playtested truths.

So with all that in mind, here's what I've got:

1) I don't like the way you're using your Robots there. Robots are great, but they really need mass to be effective, and they need to have a Datasmith to make them usable. Two 'Bots without a 'Smith doesn't seem worth the effort, especially as all gun 'Bots since you'll never get them back out of Protector Protocol, but Protector is where they want to be for GUNSGUNSGUNS. I'd either commit to the Robot gunline and get more 'Bots and a 'Smith or drop them entirely.

2) Dunecrawlers have that supporting force field rule that makes them harder to kill if you keep them close together. Having two Dunecrawlers is great. Having two with different main weapons so that you want to move them apart for weapon efficiency purposes but you also want to keep them together for defensive purposes is not. I'd pick one main gun and stick with it. Personally, I like the reliability of the Neutron Lasers, but the sheer number of shots and bonuses to hit against fliers has made the Icarus Array popular in competitive AdMech lists. That said, in 9th edition people won't be able to stack multiple -1s to hit anymore, so having a dedicated anti-air platform or two may no longer be as necessary as it was in late 8th.

3) I wouldn't sleep on the Taser Lances on your Dragoons. Those are some of the meanest melee weapons AdMech can get. By comparison, the Jezzails have the same problem that most sniper weapons do...lovely AP. The characters you most want to kill with them will tend to shrug your attacks off with decent armor saves (unless you're going after like Guard officers or something).

4) I'd go with Belleros for both of your Skorpius. Not only is it cheaper, but it lets you double down on something that AdMech have a hard time getting otherwise...indirect fire. Two Belleros firing at the same target is a great way to scrape an enemy Troop choice off an objective you can't see.

Finally, I'd recommend you read this article on Goonhammer: https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-adeptus-mechanicus-tactics/. I don't always agree with them....I think they're underrating Neutron Lasers, for instance...but their advice is generally sound and well reasoned.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Giant Ethicist posted:

Thanks! Gray Seer, but the pre-shade wash* and white drybrush covers it up pretty heavily, so in practice I could probably use basically any light-colored undercoat.

A different model, but here's how my stuff looks before the Contrast starts going down:

(Also here's that same guy showing how Snakebite Leather with some minimal and TBH pretty random yellow and white highlights makes a very workable NMM gold - same for Basilicanum Gray and grey /white highlights for steel.)

*Nuln Oil thinned a bit with medium would work, but because I have to make everything difficult I mix something out of Vallejo black ink, Vallejo smoke and matte medium.

(Sorry they're not-thread-appropriate AoS models - I don't have any process pics of 40K stuff.)

I really like the results you get with contrast. Gonna give your undercoat method a go.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't paint much stuff with contrast but hitting a white undercoat with black templar then painting gives a rapid baller finish.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Which contrast did you use for the skintone? I have darkoath flesh and if I dont thin it relentlessly it comes out just looking like blotchy sunburns. Thinning it enough to avoid that makes it basically a more labor intensive flesh wash.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

I don't paint much stuff with contrast but hitting a white undercoat with black templar then painting gives a rapid baller finish.

I love Black Templar, it is my go to paint for black. It just looks fantastic over any light color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I said come in! posted:

I love Black Templar, it is my go to paint for black. It just looks fantastic over any light color.

My current plan for the new Necrons involves copious amounts of Black Templar. I'm super stoked.