Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That man has never had a ranking in his life!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

The "Golden age" just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Soon its just going to be Season 4 amd then its just going to be Last Exit to Springfield and then its just going to be the Lisa Needs Braces clip and everything outside of that is irredeemable trash.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Golden Age is 4-7 undeniably, then any season peripheral is personal preference (I would say 3-8 and maybe even 2-9 since it's not just wacky Simpsons that is good- the melancholy 2nd season and the meaner yet not heartless 9th. Looking back, I would say it grows larger rather than smaller because a season 3 or 8 episode vs a season 22 or 28 episode starts to look very good. I own 1-11 as those were the only ones I felt strongly enough to spend money on and I'd say that's a good indicator of quality as well.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/win_icons/status/1272091413862215680?s=21

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

The statue that was used as the basis for Jebidah Springfield was just torn down and smashed up with sledge hammers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Surely you mean murderous pirate HANS SPRUNGFELD

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

32dohs.wav

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

aah.wav

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Domer

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The "Golden age" just keeps getting smaller and smaller. Soon its just going to be Season 4 amd then its just going to be Last Exit to Springfield and then its just going to be the Lisa Needs Braces clip and everything outside of that is irredeemable trash.

Just like star wars

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Them cutting corners and leaving homer’s mouth open like that via using a frame of him talking l instead of giving him a specific scared mouth animation is excellent and one of those perfect little accidents that give the early years of the simpsons so much charm

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Bart and Lisa's mouths don't move either, even if its cost cutting it also fits with the joke and doesn't seem like a cut corner.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

My other favorite "cut the costs" moment is from this scream Homer does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFM5o-5G-Yw

They never even show Homer talking in the whole Smartline segment so it must have been some cut dialogue that they re-used instead of a more traditional 'Homer grabs side of head and Screams' drawing. I guess someone said "four keyframes used six times is enough for a 0.5 second clip"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AHH F/UGH posted:

Them cutting corners and leaving homer’s mouth open like that via using a frame of him talking l instead of giving him a specific scared mouth animation is excellent and one of those perfect little accidents that give the early years of the simpsons so much charm

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Bart and Lisa's mouths don't move either, even if its cost cutting it also fits with the joke and doesn't seem like a cut corner.

I think the effect is supposed to be like their mouths froze mid-word.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Which is normally how you convey shock but in a comedic context.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
My favourite aspect is a tossup between the singular simultaneous arm jerk or how they could get away with shrinking Bart's pupils to change his focus but had to reangle Lisa's head

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Justin Godscock posted:

Which is normally how you convey shock but in a comedic context.

Yeah, but I thought it was particularly fitting given the context. (Adam West going from 1 to Batusi in seconds)

Actually kinda funny given more kids are going to recognise Adam West in a post-YouTube age and long forgotten about the 90s movies.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah that was the idea I think but I believe they used one of his talking mouths as a stand-in from the way it is angled up instead of down and how you see the mouth used two frames later when he's talking. It's just charming and feels realer than whatever PC program they use now/

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

They never even show Homer talking in the whole Smartline segment so it must have been some cut dialogue that they re-used instead of a more traditional 'Homer grabs side of head and Screams' drawing. I guess someone said "four keyframes used six times is enough for a 0.5 second clip"

I somehow never noticed this. My brain filled in the gaps.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've always liked the goofy expressions Bart and Lisa pull in Itchy and Scratchy Land when they're trying to persuade Marge to go there.

It's wonky but charming.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've always liked the goofy expressions Bart and Lisa pull in Itchy and Scratchy Land when they're trying to persuade Marge to go there.

It's wonky but charming.

As someone whose mom has taken them to multiple bird sanctuaries as a kid I always enjoyed that scene.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I just learned that there’s an episode where The Simpsons learn they’re 1/64th black.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

alphabettitouretti posted:

It's wonky but charming.

I miss old Simpsons when it was animated traditionally and they put actual effort into the often very weird animation, like strange facial expressions, bizarre background details, etc. Now it's the lowest effort digital animation that feels very flat and emotionless.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

bobjr posted:

I just learned that there’s an episode where The Simpsons learn they’re 1/64th black.

While working on a genealogy assignment, Lisa discovers a diary written by her great-great-great grandaunt, Eliza Simpson. She reads it, hoping to discover a Simpson in her family tree that was not an alcoholic, criminal, or sexual fetishist. At first she believes through reading the diary that, to her dismay, Eliza was a slaveowner, but she soon learns that she and her mother Mabel were part of the Underground Railroad in 1860. Eliza sneaks into a ball hosted by Colonel Burns (later said to be the father of Monty Burns, again making fun of his age) to meet a slave named Virgil, but as the two make their escape, they are spotted by a mounted patrol. Unfortunately, the diary is too disintegrated for Lisa to read on, and she cannot bear not knowing if Virgil escaped.

Lisa and Marge discover a cookbook at the local library written by Mabel, made decades after Eliza saved Virgil. In it is an anecdote that tells how Eliza and Virgil evaded capture by donning disguises at a traveling circus with a Krusty-type clown. They make it back to the Simpson household, but Eliza's father Hiram is suspicious of Virgil's presence. Virgil makes him "wheel cakes" and Hiram swears to keep Virgil's whereabouts a secret. As the story continues on it becomes like The Color Purple.

Lisa believes Eliza to be a hero for helping Virgil escape, and tells this story at a Black History Month presentation at Springfield Elementary. Milhouse, however, challenges her story and suggests that Eliza was a coward. He reads from the journal of his ancestor, Milford Van Houten, who witnessed Colonel Burns bribe Hiram with "a pleasant surprise", a new pair of shoes in exchange for giving up Virgil. Eliza does not stand up against the Colonel and Lisa is crushed to think her ancestor was a coward. Milford said he was so disgusted he could never look at Eliza again (Milhouse adding it did not help that he went blind the next day after drinking bad well water). Milford Van Houten's account is substantiated when Lisa views a 1950s oral history archival film interview with an elderly Eliza, where she indicates this cowardice as being the one regret of her life. In the film, a wedding portrait behind the wheelchair bound Eliza shows she married Milford Van Houten, thus creating a family link between the Simpsons and the Van Houtens and making Bart, Lisa, Maggie, and Milhouse distant cousins.

To help raise Lisa's spirits, Homer threatens Grampa Simpson to get him to tell the rest of story by turning the thermostat down a few degrees. Grandpa Simpson then tells how Mabel threatened to castrate Colonel Burns with a shotgun blast and then escaped with Virgil to Canada. There, she divorced Hiram and married Virgil. She also got one shoe from Hiram, but he kept the shoelaces to himself. Grampa reveals that Virgil and Mabel's son Abraham was his great-grandfather, and therefore Bart, Lisa, and Maggie are ​1⁄64th black, to which Lisa then claims is the reason for her jazz musical ability, Bart believes that it is the reason for his being cool, and Homer sees as why he makes less money than his white co-workers. When questioned why he kept this secret, Grampa hesitates to explain to which Lisa attributes to his generation being racist. Marge then notes that her father was French, to which Homer claims as the cause of his drinking, and drinks wine from a bottle. Marge points out that he is not of French ancestry, but Homer dismisses this and continues drinking while the French national anthem is played on background.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Also the episode where Lisa gets busted faking Native heritage, Homer reveals at the end that his great-grandmother was Cherokee or something like that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

[meticulous, well-worded, horrifying synopsis]

I really wish that the writers would have thought about the implications of this storyline for a non-zero amount of seconds.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

AHH F/UGH posted:

You can tell this sequence is a punch-up because what Kent is saying doesn't match the lipsync, meaning the joke was rewritten after the animation was done. You see this a lot in golden age Simpsons.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nice try but I'm not falling for it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I miss old Simpsons when it was animated traditionally and they put actual effort into the often very weird animation, like strange facial expressions, bizarre background details, etc. Now it's the lowest effort digital animation that feels very flat and emotionless.

The terrible animation really makes the terrible jokes worse

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

First of May posted:

You can tell this sequence is a punch-up because what Kent is saying doesn't match the lipsync, meaning the joke was rewritten after the animation was done. You see this a lot in golden age Simpsons.

I think sometimes they'd even just straight reuse Kent footage.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

therefore Bart, Lisa, and Maggie are ​1⁄64th black, to which Lisa then claims is the reason for her jazz musical ability

oooof

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
More lazy-yet-strangely-charming animation that comes to mind, Grandpa Simpson's "Now that's good eating!" from Cape Feare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92mwwhqgNc

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

best animation in the show is probably city of NY vs homer simpson IMO

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Eh! Frank posted:

More lazy-yet-strangely-charming animation that comes to mind, Grandpa Simpson's "Now that's good eating!" from Cape Feare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92mwwhqgNc

The rest of this scene I remember is actually really expressive especially Homer's "Its probably the person you least expect." I don't think I've ever scene a bottle half-a-scene before.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

charity rereg posted:

best animation in the show is probably city of NY vs homer simpson IMO

Surely Homer in Hell, complete with Night On Bald Mountain Flanders

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

bobjr posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
What are the best and worst Sideshow Bob episodes? Brother From Another Series would have to be up there.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
As strange as it is, the single best animation sequence they did was all the way back in 1990 with the intended pilot episode, Some Enchanted Evening, that was almost fully thrown in the trash. It's near movie quality in detail and fluidity. Allegedly, the first 70% finished workprint was very poorly received and almost all of that animation was near entirely redone from scratch, which is why it was aired as the 13th and final episode of the first season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dqwTEfliU

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

As strange as it is, the single best animation sequence they did was all the way back in 1990 with the intended pilot episode, Some Enchanted Evening, that was almost fully thrown in the trash. It's near movie quality in detail and fluidity. Allegedly, the first 70% finished workprint was very poorly received and almost all of that animation was near entirely redone from scratch, which is why it was aired as the 13th and final episode of the first season. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dqwTEfliU

Part of the version they originally received made it onto the DVD, and is pretty great in its terribleness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-wjF5AMmk&t=36s

There was also a commentary of this on the DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K8pMvKBgXw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Stingwing posted:

Part of the version they originally received made it onto the DVD, and is pretty great in its terribleness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx-wjF5AMmk&t=36s

There was also a commentary of this on the DVD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K8pMvKBgXw

There's some really cool bits of animation in the original failed pilot, like around 1:47 with Homer having his coffee and bizarrely walking out of the kitchen, but it feels nothing like the fairly standard Simpsons we know today and more like some kind of psychedelic stoner cartoon. Like, the storyboarding is so bizarre and incoherent and I can see why it was burned to the ground for totally different animation.