Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

COOL CORN posted:

I finished finished clipping all 8 countersheets of World in Flames

...the basic game. There's still 17 countersheets for the deluxe game left to clip. :negative: help me I am in hell

If you clip everything can you resell for a profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Ahh, stackable counter trays.

What trays are these? Are they widely available?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

rchandra posted:

What trays are these? Are they widely available?
The shop doesn't seem to ship outside of Russia.
But those are simply vacuum formed trays, with almost sharp edges.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

The shop doesn't seem to ship outside of Russia.
But those are simply vacuum formed trays, with almost sharp edges.

Ну блядь

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How long does stuff sit in Legion Wargames preorder/preproduction phase?
I looked at a few entries and it's near a decade for some games.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's a bad game thematically and mechanically m8

https://twitter.com/scotts_table/status/1271270245404114946

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's funny right now seeing how wargame companies are responding to what's going on in the world. Whooooole lotta masks slipping right now.

Conflict Simulations Limited is one of the few companies I've seen put out a statement saying "black lives matter, period, that's our stance. "

On the other side of the spectrum, Lock n Load just posted a very pro-cop "they're just human and make mistakes" statement, sooo.... gently caress.

We enjoy a hobby that unfortunately has a very vocal fascist/Confederate apologist subset, which sucks but... It's been cool to see some people I really respect (one of the guys who's worked on the GMT GBACW games has been vocal in support of the protests) supporting things.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jack Greene of Quarterdeck Games is very vocally a good person on Facebook. He and Jack Radey agree on a lot of stuff, it's fun to watch, especially since his move to Vicksburg TN.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

It's funny right now seeing how wargame companies are responding to what's going on in the world. Whooooole lotta masks slipping right now.

Conflict Simulations Limited is one of the few companies I've seen put out a statement saying "black lives matter, period, that's our stance. "

On the other side of the spectrum, Lock n Load just posted a very pro-cop "they're just human and make mistakes" statement, sooo.... gently caress.

We enjoy a hobby that unfortunately has a very vocal fascist/Confederate apologist subset, which sucks but... It's been cool to see some people I really respect (one of the guys who's worked on the GMT GBACW games has been vocal in support of the protests) supporting things.

Well I'm glad I didn't buy World at War 85 now. As much as I'm a sucker for a cold war game. It's a good thing my decision to never support them ever again is helped by the fact that they don't make good games.

GMT and MMP both seem quite mum on the issue, though individual designers (Volko, Herman, Racier, Matthews and Gupta) have either tweeted in support of the movement, or retweeted comments condemning Trump's response to them.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 14, 2020

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Uuuh yeah if we want to start talking about people who run wargaming companies then warning, GMT is a giant can of worms

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Obfuscation posted:

Uuuh yeah if we want to start talking about people who run wargaming companies then warning, GMT is a giant can of worms

Oh?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

GMT Games is majority owned by Gene Billingsley, who is a convicted child molester. He was in prison because of it about 15 years ago. When the news about this spread in Consimworld the management of GMT made promises about how the company would be rearranged to remove Billingsley from the ownership but that never happened. Since then he has been using Google's right to be forgotten page and other tools to hide most mentions about this but you can find him from the sex offender database with a name search.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I don't think you're going to find to much sympathy for the humanities from older game designers. I remember I once made the mistake of asking in an AH forum if the new version of Conquistador from an independent game company was going to include a way to integrate native Americans or peacefully co-exist with them because I found the way Paradox did it with EU to be an interesting alternative strategy. You would have thought I had sex with Richard Berg's wife from the reactions. I think I was literally called a Clintonian spawn of hell by people who found that idea so distasteful.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Obfuscation posted:

GMT Games is majority owned by Gene Billingsley, who is a convicted child molester. He was in prison because of it about 15 years ago. When the news about this spread in Consimworld the management of GMT made promises about how the company would be rearranged to remove Billingsley from the ownership but that never happened. Since then he has been using Google's right to be forgotten page and other tools to hide most mentions about this but you can find him from the sex offender database with a name search.

While I do not believe for one second that child molestation is justifiable, I think the overly puritanical attitude about never giving the person a chance to be a functioning member of society afterwards is particularly helpful either. From what I can tell, he went to jail for three years, which is the penalty deemed appropriate by a court of law, and was released 15 years ago. To continue punishing people decades after the event happened only leads to permanently disenfranchised people. As long as proper safeguards are in place, and he does not re-offend, I do not believe he should be barred from being a functioning member of society. If he re-offends, that is obviously a completely different matter, and he should be sent back to jail.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

tomdidiot posted:

While I do not believe for one second that child molestation is justifiable, I think the overly puritanical attitude about never giving the person a chance to be a functioning member of society afterwards is particularly helpful either. From what I can tell, he went to jail for three years, which is the penalty deemed appropriate by a court of law, and was released 15 years ago. To continue punishing people decades after the event happened only leads to permanently disenfranchised people. As long as proper safeguards are in place, and he does not re-offend, I do not believe he should be barred from being a functioning member of society. If he re-offends, that is obviously a completely different matter, and he should be sent back to jail.

That's an extremely reasonable attitude to have and I haven't personally boycotted GMT products either. I just brought it up because I think that a) hurting other people is magnitudes worse than having bad political opinions on Twitter and b) everybody has a right to decide for themselves what they think about GMT and completely forgetting about the issue takes that chance away from them.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Also, I wanted to make a post that is actually about wargames:

I finally got over my dislike of Vassal and I've been playing the full campaign of BCS Last Blitzkrieg over the last month or so, very slowly, solo.

Here's the situation around Bastogne in the middle of turn 4(Dec 19th). 116th Panzer has been doing great, they just bypassed the city and are advancing northwest largely unopposed. Pz Lehr still hasn't taken their activation this turn, but the plan for them is to surround the city and the 101st Airborne from the south and then move on to the west instead of getting stuck fighting with the 5 ar paratroopers.

To the north things have been also going well for the Germans. They were amazingly lucky on turn 1 when possibly the worst German division in the game, 3rd FJ, had pretty much perfect rolls and made a huge breakthrough on their own, which then allowed 1st SS Pz to exploit the hole and get deep into the American rear in the first days. Germans took all the three victory hexes in the picture earlier this turn, but a counterattack by 82nd Airborne retook Trois Ponts while failing to recapture Stavelot. There's two more newly arrived US divisions, 1st and 30th ID, so I'm expecting that the 1st SS will be mostly defending from now on. There's two more SS Pz divisions advancing to the south of them though.

But yeah the campaign is really long, 16 turns total, and the Americans are about to get a ton of reinforcements in the next few turns. It's been really enjoyable so far, and I'm a big fan of BCS in general.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I don't think you're going to find to much sympathy for the humanities from older game designers

Okay yeah, someone posted a "hey why hasn't GMT made any sort of statement since most other businesses are" post on the official GMT Facebook page and the OP is currently getting eviscerated and called every name under the sun. Yikes.

Edit-- you'd think a company who made all their money simulating fights over racism, genocide, and other opposed groups could just say "hey for the record these are just historical games and racism is bad" but the very thought makes boomers APOPLECTIC

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 15, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm just impressed that Volkho and Herman did given that they're pretty right wing

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Where have you seen that he's right wing? Following him on twitter, he seems to be more a centrist rather than anything.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well Volkho *gestures at Labyrinth, CIA career* and Herman I think I rolled together with the My Lai thing in FITL. Though the central theme of the COIN games is that embattled governments have to prove themselves by public works over brute violence so

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I have issues with the My Lai (although I'm not clear if that was editing done by him in the playbook, or someone else at GMT) and especially Labyrinth, and I am aware that he is ex-CIA, but from what I've seen of his recent political beliefs, I wouldn't necessarily call him right wing. Mark Herman does seem a bit more right wing though.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Obfuscation posted:

While not as wormy, Curt Shilling owns MMP.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Most wargame company are probably filled with chuds, or they will assume that most of their clientelle is chuds, which honestly is not very far off the mark.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I'm sure someone, somewhere, thinks - probably not incorrectly - that there are sales to be milked out of people who get off on doubling down on might-makes-right horseshit.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Trying to remember the recent kickstarter about war in the Middle East that had Armageddon, Biblical not Bruckheimer, counters.

Hahah here it is... are you ready for...

THE REVELATION WAR

This near-future what-if wargame investigates that Israeli worst-case scenario. Left on their own in that way, they must fight to a defeat a coalition of Hezbollah, Hamas, Russia, China, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Iran and Turkey – and they must try to win without resorting to the use of atomic weapons or other WMD. Cynically, the Anti-Israel Coalition player “wins” by doing well enough on the conventional battlefield to force the Israelis to go atomic.

The game isn’t meant as a staging of the Biblical prophesies in the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel and Revelation. Even so, the overlap between those prophesies and the potential strategic situation being modeled here are numerous and clear. We’ve therefore included a set of 15 iconic counters, each depicting a character or scene from those Biblical “end times” descriptions. Players can incorporate into the game in any ways that best suit their own religious outlooks and predilections.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ctp/the-revelation-war?ref=discovery&term=middle%20east%20wargame

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Tekopo posted:

Most wargame company are probably filled with chuds, or they will assume that most of their clientelle is chuds, which honestly is not very far off the mark.

I was gonna mention the owner of Victory Point Games was a turbochud (he made some huge rant about California when he moved the company to another state) but then I discovered that Victory Point Games went under.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Well Volkho *gestures at Labyrinth, CIA career* and Herman I think I rolled together with the My Lai thing in FITL. Though the central theme of the COIN games is that embattled governments have to prove themselves by public works over brute violence so

Tekopo posted:

I have issues with the My Lai (although I'm not clear if that was editing done by him in the playbook, or someone else at GMT) and especially Labyrinth, and I am aware that he is ex-CIA, but from what I've seen of his recent political beliefs, I wouldn't necessarily call him right wing. Mark Herman does seem a bit more right wing though.

oh god whats the My Lai 'thing'?
you gotta burn villages to save them?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nah not nearly that bad. The playbook for COIN games has historical notes on the event cards, and the one for the My Lai event lists the casualties as the twenty or so people Calley was convicted of killing instead of the hundreds that died. Some one pointed it out on BGG and iirc Herman got kinda lovely about it.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Trying to remember the recent kickstarter about war in the Middle East that had Armageddon, Biblical not Bruckheimer, counters.

Hahah here it is... are you ready for...

THE REVELATION WAR

This near-future what-if wargame investigates that Israeli worst-case scenario. Left on their own in that way, they must fight to a defeat a coalition of Hezbollah, Hamas, Russia, China, Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Iran and Turkey – and they must try to win without resorting to the use of atomic weapons or other WMD. Cynically, the Anti-Israel Coalition player “wins” by doing well enough on the conventional battlefield to force the Israelis to go atomic.

The game isn’t meant as a staging of the Biblical prophesies in the books of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel and Revelation. Even so, the overlap between those prophesies and the potential strategic situation being modeled here are numerous and clear. We’ve therefore included a set of 15 iconic counters, each depicting a character or scene from those Biblical “end times” descriptions. Players can incorporate into the game in any ways that best suit their own religious outlooks and predilections.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ctp/the-revelation-war?ref=discovery&term=middle%20east%20wargame

Yeah, that game is just weird. I honestly don't know why you'd want to play some weird hypothetical about Israel being invaded. It's not even like its Next War where you get to watch fun stealth fighters being thrown around (Which is the main reason you play Next War).... It's just... weird.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

. I honestly don't know why you'd want to play some weird hypothetical about Israel being invaded.

It's the only way Ty Bomba can reach completion anymore

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

My "this wargame isn't literally based on the Book of Revelation" T-shirt...

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

It's the same reason I don't understand why people like really dumb hypothetical poo poo like "LOL WHAT HAPPENS IF JAPAN AND GERMANY WON WW2"

I get semi-plausible ones like Cold War gone hot, or really near futrue conflicts, but I just don't get what's interesting about wargaming a really far-off-historical-psite hypothetical from an intellectual standpoint.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I mean in theory its like fantasy/sci-fi games; or even stuff like miniatures where you can have Joan of Arc vs Cao Cao. Its just that the scenarios they pick are, uh, hm

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah when your "hypothetical" is blasting the Big Christian Might against the Evil Muslims by way of using the Jews as pawns.... That's ... Problematic.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah when your "hypothetical" is blasting the Big Christian Might against the Evil Muslims by way of using the Jews as pawns.... That's ... Problematic.

With the addition of China and Russia, who somehow got it together to ally together with the Muslim nations, it's a BINGO card full of 80s evil protagonists against God's Chosen Race. Tossing in counters for Revelations, it's less of a board game and more of a WWF match.

"ISRAEL WITH A SIX-WINGED OX TO RUSSIA'S FACE.... THE REF IS LOOKING THE OTHER WAY AND DID NOT SEE IT!"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Someone took that Facebook thread a little too hard :eyepop:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/1587/gene-billingsley

Unless it always said that

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

Nah not nearly that bad. The playbook for COIN games has historical notes on the event cards, and the one for the My Lai event lists the casualties as the twenty or so people Calley was convicted of killing instead of the hundreds that died. Some one pointed it out on BGG and iirc Herman got kinda lovely about it.

I always read this as more "We don't want to get sued for libel" than "I'm lovely and downplaying a massacre."

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

COOL CORN posted:

He's back to Europe. His current thing is early-1980s Cold War in Europe; 2.5 miles/hex, WarPac regiments, NATO battalions.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Been really enjoying Wise Guy History on youtube recently - plays lots of GTS and has been showing off Race for Bastogne

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN6Y6njv8C61keMGPLZwjfw/videos?disable_polymer=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SoftNum posted:

I always read this as more "We don't want to get sued for libel" than "I'm lovely and downplaying a massacre."

Yeah, what did Herman himself say? He always otherwise came across alright.