Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Boat dudes loving love copper strap and sheeting. It's used for many things on boats as you need VERY good grounding to make sure you don't get weird galvanic ground loop issues. And braid sucks up moisture and corrodes fast on the water. I'm not sure what he was going on with having it crunched up behind it though. No real RF purpose there.

The SGC tuner has one advantage over the 929 - you mount it at the feedpoint. So the coax run from it to your shack is a perfect 50 ohm match with low loss. Depending on how long the coax is to your BKW, it might make a difference. The wrinkle is that the 230 is a single ended tuner, so you would need to pick up a 1:1 balun, mount it at the output of the tuner (one wire to hot, the other to ground) and then feed your BKW from the other side of the balun.

The big advantage of a setup like this is that you can install a knife switch (or just some spade terminals like me) and connect both sides of your doublet's feedline to the 230 output, run a few ground radials and feed the doublet as a giant top-loaded vertical. When the sun is up I run my BKW 'conventional' and it works on 40-6m. At sundown i go out to the balun, move one conductor of the open wire line over to the other balun terminal, and connect my radial system to the other, now-free terminal. It plays nicely on 160-40 in this setup and is a stellar AM broadcast DX antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Okay, that's awesome. I mean, I knew about the feel line losses but for the moment in a temporary setup it's minimal distance. (in regard to the tuner) I love the sound of your setup but I'm still not really permanent until the new barn is done......which hasn't been started and I don't know when I will start it because of the C word.

As to boat dudes.......that makes some sense. Especially braid sucking up moisture. I never thought of that but that's a killer on the water.

Thanks for splain some poo poo to me. I'm gonna retreat into my corner and figure out what I'm gonna do with this poo poo. The 2m yagi is puzzling right now........I'll figure something out or it needs to get shipped to someone who can figure something out.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

Boat dudes loving love copper strap and sheeting. It's used for many things on boats as you need VERY good grounding to make sure you don't get weird galvanic ground loop issues. And braid sucks up moisture and corrodes fast on the water. I'm not sure what he was going on with having it crunched up behind it though. No real RF purpose there.

The SGC tuner has one advantage over the 929 - you mount it at the feedpoint. So the coax run from it to your shack is a perfect 50 ohm match with low loss. Depending on how long the coax is to your BKW, it might make a difference. The wrinkle is that the 230 is a single ended tuner, so you would need to pick up a 1:1 balun, mount it at the output of the tuner (one wire to hot, the other to ground) and then feed your BKW from the other side of the balun.

The big advantage of a setup like this is that you can install a knife switch (or just some spade terminals like me) and connect both sides of your doublet's feedline to the 230 output, run a few ground radials and feed the doublet as a giant top-loaded vertical. When the sun is up I run my BKW 'conventional' and it works on 40-6m. At sundown i go out to the balun, move one conductor of the open wire line over to the other balun terminal, and connect my radial system to the other, now-free terminal. It plays nicely on 160-40 in this setup and is a stellar AM broadcast DX antenna.

This makes me wonder what else I could be doing with my 239....

I'm running coax out the window to a weatherproof box where the 239 is, and then another little bit of coax up to a support near my roofline, to a 1:1 balun to some 300-ohm ladderline up to a doublet cut for 40m up in my trees. Maybe my 1:1 balun should just be closer to the enclosure?

Anyway, I have one really good support high up, but I don't have a great second support, so one of my doublet legs is hanging down vertically, and it's essentially an inverted L orientation.

What I really think I need is a mast on the opposite side of my house I can use as a support for the other leg of the doublet.

Or a hex beam on the roof :getin:

Walrusmaster
Sep 21, 2009
Got my Technician License on Sunday, bought a radio, and it's already shipped :woop:

Looking forward, when I go for the general and want to play with HF, is there much of a disadvantage to putting the antenna in the attic? The roof is tile. Would it attenuate signals much at those frequencies?

There are objections to putting things on top of the roof :(

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

copen posted:

I may have fallen down the Mototrbo rabbit hole.

Now I want a bank charger on my shelf filled up with them :3:. To what end I have no idea. The radio bux would be much better served fixing my HF station. Send help

Jonny 290 posted:

why this isn't going to help you at ALLLLLL paging sniep, paging sniep

Hmmm

Hmmmmmmmmm

Like this?

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

Hmmm

Hmmmmmmmmm

Like this?

god dammit

I like your radios.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

copen posted:

I like your radios.

took me about 6 months of trawling ebay and craigslist to find the radios for under a hundo a pop, a couple were really beaten up so i did repair work to most of them if not just cleaning, have a whole tub of replacement cases and parts at this point.

Decided it was cool to have a couple be red cased in case of emergency / different set of freqs than the black cased.. Got the gang charger off craigs in a box of dead batteries and another radio in bad shape for like $50.. in the end the whole setup turned out really rad if not directly having a function quite yet..

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I bought an RTL-SDR(.com) usb dongle and downloaded SDRsharp.

When I key either Baofeng I have, the entire spectrum lights up. Am I just overwhelming the receiver by putting a whole ~1-7 watts right next to this little USB chip, or are these cheap radios leaking all over?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Walrusmaster posted:

Got my Technician License on Sunday, bought a radio, and it's already shipped :woop:

Looking forward, when I go for the general and want to play with HF, is there much of a disadvantage to putting the antenna in the attic? The roof is tile. Would it attenuate signals much at those frequencies?

Do you have a flagpole in the yard? You could disguise the antenna as that.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

took me about 6 months of trawling ebay and craigslist to find the radios for under a hundo a pop, a couple were really beaten up so i did repair work to most of them if not just cleaning, have a whole tub of replacement cases and parts at this point.

Decided it was cool to have a couple be red cased in case of emergency / different set of freqs than the black cased.. Got the gang charger off craigs in a box of dead batteries and another radio in bad shape for like $50.. in the end the whole setup turned out really rad if not directly having a function quite yet..

The red ones are my favorite :3: and that's an awesome deal for the lot. I'm going to have to keep cruising.

Walrusmaster posted:

Congrats! You can always look into doing a quick deploy antenna like the MFJ Big stick or Super Antenna. Then pack it away when not in use.

I am looking at going for one of these as I want the ability to take it camping when I go alone.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i have the Big Stick and it's the best hundred bucks you can spend on an antenna for intermittent/portable use.

It's not meant to withstand 70mph winds, but if you just want to put something up for the afternoon and play and you don't always have trees it cannot be beat

It comes with 3 radials for 20m but I said gently caress that and made a custom radial set:

pre:
o-------17ft------o--------17ft-------o
where the o's are ring terminals. That way I can either hook up the center terminals to the mount and have six 20m radials, or use the terminals on one end of each and have three 40m radials. (or yes, do a mix and have two 40m and two 20m!)

Got it set up with this big rear end telescope tripod I found at the thrift, I can get the feedpoint like 4-5 feet off the ground and keep it stable. Everything fits in this nice bag i picked up too.

For comedy, when I'm parked and want to operate HF out of the truck with a HUGE signal, I unscrew my normal 8ft whip from the ball mount and put the 17ft Big Stick whip on. It's a hotshot on 40 and 20 like that, too.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i have the Big Stick

Sold!

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

When I key either Baofeng I have, the entire spectrum lights up. Am I just overwhelming the receiver by putting a whole ~1-7 watts right next to this little USB chip, or are these cheap radios leaking all over?

Sorted this out, definitely just overwhelming the SDR by transmitting right next to it. Baofengs are actually pretty clean.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

copen posted:

The red ones are my favorite :3: and that's an awesome deal for the lot. I'm going to have to keep cruising.

so that box i got off craigs might have another of those gang chargers btw. I'd let it go, it's filthy af probably needs a light touch of refurbishing but it's the same model as in my pic, just was aged. I can test it before i ship, might just be cosmetic. Maybe $50 plus shipping if you want it and I'll list what modules are in it too since they are replaceable - i just gotta hit my storage unit

e: attn mods if i broke a rule please don't hold me accountable

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
God drat is setting up DMR a pain in the rear end when you don't have any other working equipment to sanity check with.

FYI to everyone who might be looking at the TYT radios, apparently many of them ship in a "locked" mode where they'll silently refuse to operate on amateur frequencies. You can program them with amateur frequencies and it'll look like it's working when you select the channel, but it won't actually tune below 450MHz. On my MD380 I had to power it on while holding both auxiliary buttons to get it to unlock the amateur range. I could have sworn I did that when I first got the radio, but it probably got reset after a firmware update or something.

This is where I can only be annoyed at myself, because my VX-7R's battery is toast and I haven't gotten around to replacing it, otherwise I could have easily tuned it around and seen that I wasn't transmitting correctly.

Once I figured that out it turns out that I can in fact hit both local DMR repeaters and receive the test tone sent by MMDVMcal.

Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to best set up talkgroups.

It'd be really nice if this radio just had a proper VFO promiscuous mode so I could just set a frequency and have it listen to everything coming in on that frequency no matter the color, timeslot, or talkgroup.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

so that box i got off craigs might have another of those gang chargers btw. I'd let it go, it's filthy af probably needs a light touch of refurbishing but it's the same model as in my pic, just was aged. I can test it before i ship, might just be cosmetic. Maybe $50 plus shipping if you want it and I'll list what modules are in it too since they are replaceable - i just gotta hit my storage unit

e: attn mods if i broke a rule please don't hold me accountable

I will buy it for sure. I am Denver too so I can probably just meet you somewhere. I am already 2/3's of the way to filling one up :sigh:

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

copen posted:

I will buy it for sure. I am Denver too so I can probably just meet you somewhere. I am already 2/3's of the way to filling one up :sigh:

Denver Motorola Goons?!
:whatup:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean i've got a GM300, technically i'm in the club lmao

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Has anyone here done a vanity callsign application? I submitted mine on Friday and checked it today. The status is now this: "Requires examiner intervention, fee payments, or other action before a decision on the application may be reached."

Is this an indicator of a problem or just what it says while I wait the normal wait?

EDIT: I was expecting an 18+ day wait. I only checked today to see if my change of address was processed, which it was.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Macintosh HD posted:

Has anyone here done a vanity callsign application? I submitted mine on Friday and checked it today. The status is now this: "Requires examiner intervention, fee payments, or other action before a decision on the application may be reached."

Is this an indicator of a problem or just what it says while I wait the normal wait?

EDIT: I was expecting an 18+ day wait. I only checked today to see if my change of address was processed, which it was.

I REALLY wanted to get a pro-atheism vanity call sign but I'm a chickenshit. :cripes:

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

mycomancy posted:

I REALLY wanted to get a pro-atheism vanity call sign but I'm a chickenshit. :cripes:

What call would that be

EDIT: Looks like N0GOD is available

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Macintosh HD posted:

What call would that be

lmao, i'm zero land. That is tempting

johnnyonetime posted:

Denver Motorola Goons?!

:hfive:

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean i've got a GM300, technically i'm in the club lmao

Gonna have to start having official meetings lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Macintosh HD posted:

What call would that be

It's that one, but, like I said. Chickenshit.

Also I'm pleased to see this thread poppin'!

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 16, 2020

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
So uh is that "Requires examiner intervention, fee payments, or other action before a decision on the application may be reached" normal for vanity call sign app process?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Macintosh HD posted:

So uh is that "Requires examiner intervention, fee payments, or other action before a decision on the application may be reached" normal for vanity call sign app process?

Yes. I've got one in right now and it says that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i had a theory that maybe somebody at the FCC has to manually flip through to shitcan offensive vanity applications, but W1KKK was just granted recently. Oof.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i had a theory that maybe somebody at the FCC has to manually flip through to shitcan offensive vanity applications, but W1KKK was just granted recently. Oof.

Wow that is upsetting enough I started doxxing the guy

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Also N4ZI just got assigned again

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

:yikes:

manero posted:

Also N4ZI just got assigned again

Double :yikes:

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Macintosh HD posted:

I got a vanity call. It’s an automated process (I think), and it takes the full 18 days. I actually got my approval letter before the database showed it was changed.

If you look up your call on http://www.ae7q.com/query/ first yellow box on the right, you will see the application and the most likely outcome.

Regarding the W1KKK call, just complain to the FCC that it’s offensive and they’ll probably pull it.

Edit: W1KKK was granted in 2014. N4ZI was granted yesterday. gently caress these asshats.

The Hambulance fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 17, 2020

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
N0COP would be a fly callsign.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

mycomancy posted:

N0COP would be a fly callsign.

WH0OPS was my second choice. :v:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Hambulance posted:

WH0OPS was my second choice. :v:

God drat are you another CO hamgoon? Why didn't I know all y'all were around before I moved from CO to MO? We could have drank craft beer...

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Also let me just say gently caress the guys who just cycle through a bunch of 1x2 and 2x1 calls to keep other people from getting them

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

Pillbug

mycomancy posted:

God drat are you another CO hamgoon? Why didn't I know all y'all were around before I moved from CO to MO? We could have drank craft beer...

No, I’m near Philadelphia. The numbers in vanity calls aren’t restricted. I’m in area 3, and I have a call from area 9

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

The Hambulance posted:

I got a vanity call. It’s an automated process (I think), and it takes the full 18 days. I actually got my approval letter before the database showed it was changed.

If you look up your call on http://www.ae7q.com/query/ first yellow box on the right, you will see the application and the most likely outcome.

Regarding the W1KKK call, just complain to the FCC that it’s offensive and they’ll probably pull it.

Edit: W1KKK was granted in 2014. N4ZI was granted yesterday. gently caress these asshats.

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, the search on that site showed that my vanity call didn't have any applications. I gotta check to make sure I didn't gently caress up somewhere.

EDIT: It may just be that the site you linked is a day or so behind. The app looks good.

Macintosh HD fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 17, 2020

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

copen posted:

Aight - I said it was dirty and I wasn't wrong. It must've come from a construction site. Tested each module and all 6 work fine, then I took them out and gave it a cats lick. Waiting for it to dry overnight now to give it a final test and I can bring it by.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Signed up to take the technician exam this weekend. I'll focus on passing that getting a handheld to play around with while I study up for the general next month.

Super thanks to hambulance. Those study books are really useful.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

:iia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
all cops are bastards, but their radios are freakin' sweet

Love to see hamthread coming together :)

I'm happy enough about the burst of posting that y'all have gotten me to turn the DMR rig on tonight. I didn't even work June VHF this year because I'm just so bummed these days. Hard to enjoy the old hobbies.