Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

They're also 3600

Series Ripjaws V Series
Model F4-3600C19D-16GVRB
Type DDR4
Speed (MHz) DDR4 3600
Timing 19-20-20-40
Cas Latency 19
Voltage 1.35V

vs

DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)
Timing 16-19-19-39
CAS Latency 16
Voltage 1.35V

I can get the latter from newegg for $99 and the first one is also $99 @ canadacomputers - I just prefer one-stop shopping but if it's worth it I'll split the order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Had my build for 3 months. Standard goon build. AMD 3600, GF 1060, 8GB of 3600 G skill RAM, whatever storage.

Opened it up and the Meshify S2's dust filter is doing the job, only a very sparse layer of fine dust.

Stoked on it. It was worth the upgrade.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lags posted:

I know the tomahawk is the price point master but is there any reason not to grab ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Socket AM4 if i find stock?

It's ok for a 3600 or 3700X, not great for larger CPUs. Just make sure you're getting the -F and not the PRIME -A.

If you're ok with a mATX board (which on B450 isn't a huge loss) the Gigabute B450 Aorus M looks like it has stock in canada. It's about the same quality as the asus and much cheaper.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've got a friend who has gotten getting a new gaming/video editing PC funded by a trust fund ish type situation (i don't understand it, technically it isn't a trust fund)

this is the current pcparts list they've got: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yFmbk6

the big issue is that apparently the motherboard doesn't actually exist (it's out of stock everywhere or something?) and any replacement motherboard they're having similar issues with, and of course without the motherboard the whole build falls apart

does anyone have any good recommendations for a build at a similar performance/cost level? the PC is primarily for video editing but gaming is a big secondary appeal. if all the parts can be procured from the same place ("in one transaction") that would be preferred but i think at this point they're mostly looking for "all of the parts can reasonably be bought from somewhere somehow"

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm floored my recently purchased Dell T7400 workstation which came out in 2007 came with a 1000W 'sorta' fully modular PSU

At least it should be easy to pull the cables I don't want from the big rear end connector.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ninjewtsu posted:

the big issue is that apparently the motherboard doesn't actually exist (it's out of stock everywhere or something?) and any replacement motherboard they're having similar issues with, and of course without the motherboard the whole build falls apart

wait until the 16th, buy a B550 motherboard

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is the 'bottleneck calculator' on https://www.pc-builds.com at all worth paying attention to?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Klyith posted:

if im just gonna use a 3600 or 3600XT is there a reason for me to do this? i just ordered that exact mobo and was gonna pick it up tomorrow, though i can cancel as i havent paid for it

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 14, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Is the 'bottleneck calculator' on https://www.pc-builds.com at all worth paying attention to?

Probably not? I'll do some more poking when it's not 4:30am, but bottlenecks are dependent on the entire system config and the software in question. While games follow a general trend that you might be able to assign a number to, things like strategy games have completely different needs and there are notable performance outliers here and there, most notably but not exclusively the latest assassin's Creed games. In non-gaming workloads it's all about the needs of your software.

Generally it's just best to look up benchmarks for the programs you're looking to run, or just ask the thread.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

My GTX970 is starting to look a bit long in the tooth, looking for an upgrade to go along with my 1080p 144hz new monitor, primarily for playing modern, more intensive games like rdr2. 9-series doesn't support g-sync compatible/freesync else I'd likely stick with it a while longer.

Mobo: Asus Prime X470 pro
CPU: Ryzen5 2600
RAM: 16gb Corsair lpx
Power: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W

Flexible on budget but not looking to go up to 1440p any time soon.

Spuckuk fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 14, 2020

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
So this is the first time I’m putting together a system that isn’t a prebuilt and I’m cannibalizing some parts out of my previous desktop that went poof. I’m trying to future proof as much as is reasonable, but I don’t trust my choices since this is the first time I’m doing something like this so I would like some feedback. I also know a lot of stuff is out of stock right now so it might e better to wait a bit. My nearest Microcenter is about a three-hour drive away, but I’m willing to make it if it can save me a bit, my car is really good with gas.

I’m in the US, I primarily use my computer for gaming and surfing (it doesn’t need to run at ultra high graphics all the time, but I’d like fairly clear picture) but I also do 3D modeling (I farm my renders so I’m not terribly worried about turnaround time, and I primarily work with Blender) and some art as a hobby as well as programming. My budget is at ~ $1000.

Monitor is an LG24GM77 which I already own.
I have a USB mouse and keyboard, although the keyboard sucks and I’ll take recommendations for a new one. (I would like rainbow LED keys if possible, because I’m a giant dork.)

The PSU I already own because it was in replacing the PSU in my prebuilt that my mobo gave up the ghost. It’s an EVGA G5 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified. I have an optical drive that I’m cannibalizing, as well as the seagate HDD and my external SSD. I also have a set of Corsair Vengeance RGB pro 2x8 DDR4 RAM sticks that are ~ a year old.

The things I am looking at buying are:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (I’m eh about this particular motherboard)
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card
  • Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
I haven’t decided on any other fans yet, but I know I don’t want liquid cooling because I know my luck so advice on that would be appreciated as well.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Spuckuk posted:

My GTX970 is starting to look a bit long in the tooth, looking for an upgrade to go along with my 1080p 144hz new monitor, primarily for playing modern, more intensive games like rdr2. 9-series doesn't support g-sync compatible/freesync else I'd likely stick with it a while longer.

Mobo: Asus Prime X470 pro
CPU: Ryzen5 2600
RAM: 16gb Corsair lpx
Power: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W

Flexible on budget but not looking to go up to 1440p any time soon.

Just upgrade the video card, keep everything else. General optimum buys for video cards:
• 1660 Super
• 5700XT
• 2070 Super
For a while the advice for deciding between a 5700XT and 2070S was whether you care about raytrace lights or not. But with the upcoming generation of GPUs having new / improved raytrace hardware that designed more to a universal spec, the new answer for caring about raytrace might be "wait until the end of the year, buy new expensive card then".

DreamingofRoses posted:

The things I am looking at buying are:
  • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
  • Gigabyte B450 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard (I’m eh about this particular motherboard)
  • MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card
  • Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
I haven’t decided on any other fans yet, but I know I don’t want liquid cooling because I know my luck so advice on that would be appreciated as well.

Motherboard: B550 motherboards are becoming available in mere days. One of those will be nicer.

Cooling: cheap $30 heatsinks like an arctic 33/34 or CM hyper 212 are good enough to be very quiet at idle. If you want something better, look for a Scythe Mugen 5 rev B or a Noctua NH-U14S. A 3700X doesn't need the biggest mega-size heatsinks like a Noctua D15 unless you're fanatic about noise or want to buy it as the last heatsink you'll ever need. The case you're looking at doesn't really need any other fans than what it comes with.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

Good advice.

Ty!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Verviticus posted:

if im just gonna use a 3600 or 3600XT is there a reason for me to do this? i just ordered that exact mobo and was gonna pick it up tomorrow, though i can cancel as i havent paid for it

If you happen to want to upgrade to a new processor 3 years from now it will likely be fine on a B550. Good to be able to do it just in case.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($167.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($80.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H1 ($349.99)

Thoughts on this build? I'd really like to keep the total cost under $1k because I have to also buy a desk, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The only thing that I've ordered so far is the H1 case. I would like to go cheap on the video card so that I can upgrade it next year when prices are cheaper (if needed). Also interested in if I should go for the 550i motherboard or wait for a 450i to restock. I plan to use the PC for playing blizzard games, and maybe some FPS like Modern Warfare or Halo. I usually play games on the lowest or medium settings depending on what my computer can handle.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

OP needs updated now that the 10th gen is out and I don't want the whole thing to just be my opinion on things, so this here's a solicitation for input on the below.

"Intel's 10th gen is now out, bringing most notably significant price cuts across the stack while retaining the absolute performance crown for gaming. That said, there's still a price premium and many system configurations will not be able to leverage the additional headroom. They're worth considering, but unless you're building a system for absolute maximum performance or are willing to turn down settings / resolution, you're still probably better off with a 3600."

For reference, cross-referencing GN reviews suggests a 1080 (≈2070) would be the limiting factor in a system with either a 3600 or 10600k. Differences in benchmarks between CPU and GPU reviews and older components not getting re-benched when a new benchmark suite gets deployed makes further such comparisons difficult.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

laxbro posted:

Also interested in if I should go for the 550i motherboard or wait for a 450i to restock.

On an ITX board B550 doesn't seem like a big deal, the better options for splitting PCIe lanes is pointless on a board with only one PCIe slot. However, you can't know for sure if the B450 version even will restock. B550 is supposed to replace B450, and I think Asus might be the most eager to move on from B450.

Also the list price on newegg for the Asus B550 is stupid high, you can get an X570 ITX for $10 less.

edit:

Some Goon posted:

OP needs updated now that the 10th gen is out and I don't want the whole thing to just be my opinion on things, so this here's a solicitation for input on the below.

The 3600 remains the best choice for the mid-range $1000-1200 build, because an extra $100 on the GPU gets you a lot more real performance than a better CPU.

The 10600K & KF are good, and with the KF being priced matched to the 3700X it's easy to give it the nod for the $1500 gaming system. There are Z490 boards that look pretty decent at $150-200 so the mobo cost isn't outrageous either. Someone who wants productivity over gaming would still take the 3700X, and the 3700X's semi-decent included heatsink is also a point in its favor. But for many of the people ITT who have games as their only demanding app, the 10600 K&KF are Intel's first good buys in a long time.

I doubt the 3600XT is gonna make up major ground on the 10600 either.

edit 2: also I expect opinions to need more revisions over time, prices are still pretty hosed up. the B550 mobos launching at extremely stupid pandemic prices is not great for AMD.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 15, 2020

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

If you're eventually going to have a spare 1080ti -- which will easily cover the 1080p 144hz requirement -- you could save a lot of money by going with an iGPU for the time being. An intel CPU might be the right choice for you in that case, since the only AMDs with iGPU are kinda weedy 4-cores still.

The new 10400 loses to a 3600 in head to head comparison, but it ain't terrible and it's got an iGPU. That means you can assemble something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($182.00 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 UD AC ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($169.99 @ B&H)
Memory: GeIL EVO SPEAR 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $644.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-13 20:13 EDT-0400

and you even have some money left for the monitor etc. (The mobo even has wifi so that's covered.) You ain't gonna play new AAA games at any sort of quality or FPS with the crap intel iGPU, but if this is for the kids it'll do some games ok.

Otherwise, you're gonna have a real hard time getting just the PC for $750, let alone the monitor.

Hey thanks for the help :) The price is definitely where I was looking to be. How does this compare to a system with the following?
AMD Ryzen 3 3250U 2.6ghz
8 GB Ram
GPU: AMD Vega 3
Motherboard: HP 8673

This is the All in One my daughter is using, and when I saw the frame rate while she was playing minecraft dungeon, I was surprised how crappy it looked.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 15, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Hey thanks for the help :) The price is definitely where I was looking to be. How does this compare to a system with the following?
AMD Ryzen 3 3250U 2.6ghz
8 GB Ram
GPU: AMD Vega 3
Motherboard: HP 8673

This is the All in One my daughter is using, and when I saw the frame rate while she was playing minecraft dungeon, I was surprised how crappy it looked.

So, my bet is that on that system the biggest problem is actually the ram. The game needs 8GB minimum + 2GB video RAM, which on a system with an iGPU is all main memory. But also it probably only has one stick of ram, which means it is running in one channel mode. Adding a 2nd stick of memory and it can do dual-channel mode for 2x the bandwidth, which is pretty critical when CPU and iGPU have to share.

It's still not gonna look great compared to a system with a dedicated GPU, but it'll be way better than now.

Assuming the all in one is this system or one like it, you want a laptop type memory stick (SODIMM). That's just $33 for another 8GB.

edit: you should check that it only has 1 ram stick with CPU-Z before buying, it looks like some versions of HP AIO have 1 stick and some have 2. Load CPU-Z, switch to the memory tab, and near the top is says "Channel #:" and either Single or Dual.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 15, 2020

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008

Klyith posted:

So, my bet is that on that system the biggest problem is actually the ram. The game needs 8GB minimum + 2GB video RAM, which on a system with an iGPU is all main memory. But also it probably only has one stick of ram, which means it is running in one channel mode. Adding a 2nd stick of memory and it can do dual-channel mode for 2x the bandwidth, which is pretty critical when CPU and iGPU have to share.

It's still not gonna look great compared to a system with a dedicated GPU, but it'll be way better than now.

Assuming the all in one is this system or one like it, you want a laptop type memory stick (SODIMM). That's just $33 for another 8GB.

Yeah I think that's pretty much the one she is using. I just worry that if it's struggling now, that later it's gonna be useless. We just bought the All in One, so we can bring it back for a full refund. That's why I'm thinking about instead building a better system that can be upgraded. I would just look silly if I built a system that looked worse (for now) than what we had.

Dial M for MURDER fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 15, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dial M for MURDER posted:

Yeah I think that's pretty much the one she is using. I just worry that if it's struggling now, that later it's gonna be useless. We just bought the All in One, so we can bring it back for a full refund. That's why I'm thinking about instead building a better system that can be upgraded. I would just look silly if I built a system that looked worse (for now) than what we had.

Ok, hmm. You probably should have been a bit more detailed about the situation in the first place. I wasn't sure if it was the kids gaming or you or what.

Now I don't know about the 10400, because its iGPU is even worse than what's on your Ryzen 3250 right now (intel cannot make a good GPU to save their lives). Though maybe it would be about equal to the 3250 with the 1 ram stick holding it back. So until you had your 1080 free it wouldn't be an upgrade at all.

So the other direction to go is building with a Ryzen 3400G. It has way more iGPU power than the 3250. Still isn't 1080p/144hz capable without the 1080, but it'll handle minecraft dungeons just fine. The 10400 is better in the future, but the 3400G is better now.

PCPartPicker Part List
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($63.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CV 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($60.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $528.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-14 22:26 EDT-0400

And of course you can upgrade the CPU at some point if the 3400G's 4 core becomes limiting.

e: changed the PSU, because B&H are drat liars

Klyith fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 15, 2020

Dial M for MURDER
Sep 22, 2008
Wow that is great! So it's better and cheaper? That seems like a deal to me haha.
Unless you think there are any other changes to be made I'll probably go with that.
Thanks for all your help :) I don't really keep up with computer stuff until it's time for me to upgrade mine.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Klyith posted:

only the most expensive ones of these are showing up in stock now lmao

EDIT: wait but it's showing that they'll be in stock on the 16th? so i guess this just means preorders are disabled now? huh

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 15, 2020

lags
Jan 3, 2004

I called Canada computers and asked when they'd get b550 chipset boards in stock and he didn't even know what I was talking about. Thanks, Obama.

Kullik
Jan 5, 2017

Hey not sure if anyone remembers me but i was the guy a while ago with the ryzen 3700x that was idling kinda hot for no particular reason.

I found out why.

It was Corsair ICUE i think.

Basically it seems to run constant hardware monitoring that causes the CPU to think its under a lot of load and needs a lot of power according to what i could find, and corsair dont look like they want to add an option to disable that feature.
I imagine that really sucks if you have like a corsair cooler and not just a mouse and keyboard like i do, so i was able to disable icue and now i idle around 35 degrees with fans at their lowest speed, which feels a lot more acceptable.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Klyith posted:

Just upgrade the video card, keep everything else. General optimum buys for video cards:
• 1660 Super
• 5700XT
• 2070 Super
For a while the advice for deciding between a 5700XT and 2070S was whether you care about raytrace lights or not. But with the upcoming generation of GPUs having new / improved raytrace hardware that designed more to a universal spec, the new answer for caring about raytrace might be "wait until the end of the year, buy new expensive card then".

cheers, just what I was looking for!

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Kullik posted:

Hey not sure if anyone remembers me but i was the guy a while ago with the ryzen 3700x that was idling kinda hot for no particular reason.

I found out why.

It was Corsair ICUE i think.

Basically it seems to run constant hardware monitoring that causes the CPU to think its under a lot of load and needs a lot of power according to what i could find, and corsair dont look like they want to add an option to disable that feature.
I imagine that really sucks if you have like a corsair cooler and not just a mouse and keyboard like i do, so i was able to disable icue and now i idle around 35 degrees with fans at their lowest speed, which feels a lot more acceptable.
I didn't have icue problems, but I was looking for ways to get rid of it, when a goon, perhaps flippantly, suggested I just uninstall it after disabling the RGB lights.

And it worked! Thank you!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Okay, just about to do my first build as my final part is supposed to arrive today, after weeks of delivery pending purgatory. Unfortunately I am still kind of tech illiterate, so for the AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor I need to know whether I am going for a 32 or 64bit OS. Its probably the 64 bit, but :eng99:

\/Thanks

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 15, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

64 bit.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
f im getting 32gb of ram for a b450 tomahawk and a 3600, does it matter at all if its 4x8 or 2x16? i assume just go for whatever's cheaper?

edit: actually, different question - is there a difference between

https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820156224?Item=N82E16820156224

and

https://www.newegg.ca/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164176?Item=N82E16820164176

other than the annoying casing?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 16, 2020

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Well, Good News: After bumbling around for a couple hours I was able to complete my build, and holy poo poo it actually booted! It installed the OS with no issues (though I didn't go online to validate the key)! It boots in like >10 seconds compared to the 30 or so my old (current) one does.

Bad news: I have no idea how to get it to recognize the HDD that is installed, so I can store more low priority stuff. Going to take it to professionals to get that working, and also do stuff like install driver updates, tidy up my terrible cabling, and make sure my fan setup isn't going to cause anything to melt three days in.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Verviticus posted:

if im getting 32gb of ram for a b450 tomahawk and a 3600, does it matter at all if its 4x8 or 2x16? i assume just go for whatever's cheaper?

2x16 is better, though it'll likely be a bit more expensive. 4 ram sticks are harder for the controller to drive so it's not uncommon that it has to reduce speed or timings to compensate.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Klyith posted:

2x16 is better, though it'll likely be a bit more expensive. 4 ram sticks are harder for the controller to drive so it's not uncommon that it has to reduce speed or timings to compensate.

ok cool

uh, followup:

is there a difference between

https://www.newegg.ca/crucial-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820156224?Item=N82E16820156224

and

https://www.newegg.ca/ballistix-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820164176?Item=N82E16820164176

other than the annoying casing?

edit: oh, i guess the timings are a lot worse on the stuff without the casing. ah poo poo buying parts up here is such a goddamn hassle

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 16, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Verviticus posted:

ah poo poo buying parts up here is such a goddamn hassle

If you are looking at getting 32gb of ram, I'd go with this set of 2. It's reasonably fast and is supposedly AMD-optimized. 3200 is ok speed, and you could likely manually OC it to 3600 by lowering timings if you wanted.

Crucial Ballistix is really good for Ryzen and would likely run fine with 4 sticks, but the prices for it are really high. (Everybody wants to buy it because it OCs really well.) It's great an all but I don't know that it's worth $50 extra.

e:

Verviticus posted:

but the number of times i look and see my current 16gb at 90+% use
this doesn't always mean what you think it means, especially if whatever you use to display doesn't separate real use vs cached data. programs like chrome eats memory because nothing else is asking for it. they can & will unload data when windows starts evicting their crap from memory.

(that said, ram has been pretty cheap for a while now and 32gb isn't much more than I paid for 16 in 2017. it's a reasonable purchase.)

Klyith fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 16, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

oh ok cool. yeah crucial seemed really hard to get a hold of up here (the two main stores near me dont even seem to stock it) but that stuff is actually available. i know people have said that 16 is usually enough but the number of times i look and see my current 16gb at 90+% use has made me want 32 if i could get my hands on it. thank you

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Checked the last couple pages and didn't see any PSU chat really:

About a year ago, I remember that there were kinda/sorta "good" and "bad" lines of EVGA PSUs, and I was counseled to get a specific line from this thread. My buddy is replacing a PSU, so I wanted to check in and see what the recommended line from EVGA is again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zarin posted:

Checked the last couple pages and didn't see any PSU chat really:

About a year ago, I remember that there were kinda/sorta "good" and "bad" lines of EVGA PSUs, and I was counseled to get a specific line from this thread. My buddy is replacing a PSU, so I wanted to check in and see what the recommended line from EVGA is again.

G with a number: excellent
GA: ok but inferior to a Corsair RM(x) or seasonic Focus Gold
GD: not great, but also not awful. Gold efficiency but poor components. Similar to the Corsair CX non-M as an ok budget purchase.

B5 & BQ: not awful
BR: awful

also good luck finding stock, you probably want to look beyond EVGA because it's take whatever you can get right now.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 16, 2020

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

I think I'm gonna make a move, just want some last minute opinions.

- I'm in the USA
- I'm going to use this for gaming, VR, hobbyist game/VR development, and software development
- I don't really have a budget--living the DINK dream with no restaurant bills or vacations in the foreseeable future
- for games, playing RDR2 at 1440p @ 100Hz would be splendid but honestly I'm fine with 1080p @ 60 or even 30, I don't have a nice monitor
- the specific games would probably be RDR2, COD, and a bunch of really old poo poo that won't be very intensive
- specific non-gaming software would be Unreal 4, Unity, various IDEs for programming in whatever language (i.e. RAM eaters with CPU-bound compilers).

This is the system I'm thinking of getting:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard ($279.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($524.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1386.43

All of the above comes out to $1800 from Dell with their nifty Alienware branding, an extra 1TB HDD I have no use for, a free KB+M that I don't need, and some flunkies for me to call up and yell at if poo poo fails out of the box.

My questions:
1. my decision to go pre-built or not relies heavily on how reliable the PC parts market is these days. The last time I built a PC was 18 years ago and it was a 3 month odyssey of DOA parts, flashing BIOSes, and defective piece of poo poo power supplies frying stuff. Obviously life is a little strange now, and most brick and mortar poo poo is still not open where I live, so this would be a severe pain in the rear end that I would gleefully pay a few hundred to mitigate. Has the parts market unfucked itself in my absence? Alternatively, are there hidden corners that Dell cuts with Alienware that I should know about?

2. Would the 2070S basically get me to at least PS4 Pro-level performance on games like COD MW or Red Dead Redemption 2 (1440p @ ~60/30 respectively)? The other stuff I want to play is all old and lovely and easy to run. I don't really see shelling out for a 2080Ti with the 30 series right around the corner, but I'm also considering getting a 2080S and just sticking with that until there's something I want to do that it can't.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Stubear St. Pierre posted:

I think I'm gonna make a move, just want some last minute opinions.

- I'm in the USA
- I'm going to use this for gaming, VR, hobbyist game/VR development, and software development
- I don't really have a budget--living the DINK dream with no restaurant bills or vacations in the foreseeable future
- for games, playing RDR2 at 1440p @ 100Hz would be splendid but honestly I'm fine with 1080p @ 60 or even 30, I don't have a nice monitor
- the specific games would probably be RDR2, COD, and a bunch of really old poo poo that won't be very intensive
- specific non-gaming software would be Unreal 4, Unity, various IDEs for programming in whatever language (i.e. RAM eaters with CPU-bound compilers).

This is the system I'm thinking of getting:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($274.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard ($279.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($116.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($524.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1386.43

All of the above comes out to $1800 from Dell with their nifty Alienware branding, an extra 1TB HDD I have no use for, a free KB+M that I don't need, and some flunkies for me to call up and yell at if poo poo fails out of the box.

My questions:
1. my decision to go pre-built or not relies heavily on how reliable the PC parts market is these days. The last time I built a PC was 18 years ago and it was a 3 month odyssey of DOA parts, flashing BIOSes, and defective piece of poo poo power supplies frying stuff. Obviously life is a little strange now, and most brick and mortar poo poo is still not open where I live, so this would be a severe pain in the rear end that I would gleefully pay a few hundred to mitigate. Has the parts market unfucked itself in my absence? Alternatively, are there hidden corners that Dell cuts with Alienware that I should know about?

2. Would the 2070S basically get me to at least PS4 Pro-level performance on games like COD MW or Red Dead Redemption 2 (1440p @ ~60/30 respectively)? The other stuff I want to play is all old and lovely and easy to run. I don't really see shelling out for a 2080Ti with the 30 series right around the corner, but I'm also considering getting a 2080S and just sticking with that until there's something I want to do that it can't.

I've built multiple PCs since 2002ish and I'd say it's way less fiddly than it used to be. The main problem before COVID messed everything up in the supply chain was choosing from the insane variety of good quality parts.

The supply chain for parts is inane now but depending on who you believe it should get more or less unfucked this summer. Or the epidemic wipes us out and then who cares. :sun:

B550 prices are dumb as poo poo right now, paying $280 for a B550 when you get get excellent X570 boards for less makes no sense at all. If they drop to somewhere between B450 and X570 then they'd start to make sense.

And a 2070 Super should give you clearly better performance than a PS4 Pro and, depending on what rumors you believe, just a bit under the alleged PS5 spec.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ashsaber posted:

Well, Good News: After bumbling around for a couple hours I was able to complete my build, and holy poo poo it actually booted! It installed the OS with no issues (though I didn't go online to validate the key)! It boots in like >10 seconds compared to the 30 or so my old (current) one does.

Bad news: I have no idea how to get it to recognize the HDD that is installed, so I can store more low priority stuff. Going to take it to professionals to get that working, and also do stuff like install driver updates, tidy up my terrible cabling, and make sure my fan setup isn't going to cause anything to melt three days in.
Glad to hear it's working :)

I suppose the HDD that isn't being recognized might not be partitioned, in which case this might help you (just skip the part about shrinking the C partition, since it's not relevant to you):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHjolzl7Gk