Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's basically copaganda, so it has bite, but in the wrong direction.

At one point it makes a direct analogy between black people being murdered by the state and police being killed by criminals because the government made it harder to pull out their guns.

The government made it harder for a black officer to pull out his gun. You can’t watch Watchmen and think the police are the good guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

The big story today is a massive scandal in the Victorian Labor party regarding factional powerbroker Adem Somyurek being involved in branch-stacking (paying memberships for more votes), after extensive video footage was released to The Age and 60 Minutes. Somyurek is also on tape hurling misogynistic threads towards another ALP minister, a bunch of homophobia as well, plus boasting he's the one who controls the entire party. Too much to fully summarise - so far Somyurek has quit/been sacked plus two more ministers in his faction, plus the federal Labor branch is going to hold an intervention.
‘F**k the premier’: Labor’s secret tapes reveal industrial scale stackathon (The Age).

Rowe:

Premier Dan Andrews sacked Somyurek from the ministry, said he didn't deserve the opportunity to resign.

Spooner:

Knight:

Broelman:

Queensland is still having border closure arguments.

Wilcox:

Downes:

Former Victorian Liberal premier and Aussie Rules Football club president for Hawthorn Jeff Kennett has been speaking out against Tasmania's border closures.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Prairie Bus posted:

The government made it harder for a black officer to pull out his gun. You can’t watch Watchmen and think the police are the good guys.

They're certainly not the bad guys.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the watchmen show literally is so dedicated to its weird faux-woke thing it has no actual ideology. It made a character explicitly meant to be a KKK member to show how vigilantes are not even a full step removed from them, who also literally loved Hitler, a black guy just for a weird twist to be all 'see, there ARE other black heroes in this world's history but the racists made him...praise Hitler...' You can't call it copaganda because literally nobody in the writing room understood politics enough to be capable of any form of propaganda

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
We're doing another gangtag donations drive, this time for the Bail Project, dedicated to helping low-income people make bail and avoid pretrial detention. $5 or more gets you this:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

fool of sound posted:

We're doing another gangtag donations drive, this time for the Bail Project, dedicated to helping low-income people make bail and avoid pretrial detention. $5 or more gets you this:

Rad, thank you! I want to keep the gangtags I have now but I'mo donate anyway. :)

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

No human has ever been killed by a hammerhead shark, and there have been 17 total unprovoked hammerhead attacks on humans in the last four hundred and fifty years.
Wow he really stumbled on an incredibly powerful metaphor then.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Lurdiak posted:

It's basically copaganda, so it has bite, but in the wrong direction.

At one point it makes a direct analogy between black people being murdered by the state and police being killed by criminals because the government made it harder to pull out their guns.
Where does it make that analogy? Didn't that turn out to be a deliberate effort to put more power in the hands of police...who were secretly the government wing of the KKK?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Pants Donkey posted:

I love Rainbow Snake.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

sexpig by night posted:

the watchmen show literally is so dedicated to its weird faux-woke thing it has no actual ideology. It made a character explicitly meant to be a KKK member to show how vigilantes are not even a full step removed from them, who also literally loved Hitler, a black guy just for a weird twist to be all 'see, there ARE other black heroes in this world's history but the racists made him...praise Hitler...' You can't call it copaganda because literally nobody in the writing room understood politics enough to be capable of any form of propaganda
What? The police force was a secretly racist institution that used black cops as cover. It shows Angela's grandfather being nearly killed by Klan officers because he arrested a racist, and having to kill them to prevent them from perpetrating a terrorist attack against black people, insidiously designed to masquerade as black people going crazy and destroying their own neighbourhoods. It's literally (figuratively) saying that racist policing creates and feeds on the appearance of violent disorder in the black community, and it goes on to say that that astonishing level of racism has only pretended to fade from the police force in the modern day, while secretly the whole police force is run by racist would-be fascists

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I only watched a couple episodes but my brother was into tthe show. He said the whole rorshach ideology revitalizes the kkk or something and i had to explain to him that tthat was the whole point of Rorshach. He was libertarianism beefed to 11. It made logical sense thatt they took that and made it into their ideology. They didn't like it though.

I also got the sense that cops were heavily neutered, hence why two cops were vigilantes.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fishman please stop making me laugh at the duck's jokes, it's upsetting

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Ignoring all the groups that break this supposed rule, the racial groups that do get treated like voting monoliths usually do so because they overwhelmingly vote for the side that isn't loving openly racist. hth

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Why is this even a comic? It seems like every few weeks we see them just floating in the air with the author's facebook status as a conscience stream.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pat Cross mad as gently caress

But if he’s a textualist then why did he make a ruling I dislike :qq:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

quote:

We’ve seen plenty of looting during the ‘peaceful protests,’ but the looters we saw on TV are amateurs compared to what’s going on at the top.

The Federal Reserve no longer consults Congress to create and distribute their debt currency. Not only has the Fed routinely bailed out its owners—the globalist central banks—it has also engaged in nonstop quantitative easing to prop up the stock market. Just this morning I saw the Dow was down over 700, but then for some reason it flew up to nearly 300 in the green. Was there fantastic news to trigger a nearly 1,000 point turnaround? No. It was the Federal Reserve at work. The market needed ‘liquidity’ just as a dry drunk needs more booze.

If the Federal Reserve is buying their own treasuries as well as bonds and stocks, who owns those financial instruments? Certainly not the poor or middle class. The top 1 percent benefits. They’ve actually grown fabulously richer due to the plannedemic. They control the system. They must not and cannot lose regardless of dire economic conditions. Small businesses are shut down, but global corporations such as Walmart remain open—fine and dandy. It’s business as usual—the screwing of the average man.

The Monopoly Men of the 1 percent own 50 percent of the stock market as well as over half the world’s wealth. The very top 1/10th of that 1 percent are billionaires such as George Soros and Bill Gates and they think their fantastic wealth gives them the right to usher in an Orwellian police state to monitor and control us all. Bill Gates’ COVID-19 vaccine isn’t about helping people. It’s part of their plan for a global ID system. Digital elements and perhaps a chip will become mandatory. Their plannedemic has been put in place to make this happen. It’s the ‘mark of the beast.’ Your very life depends on NOT taking Bill Gates’ vaccine.

After the 9-11 attacks, ‘Big Guv’ took away our rights under the excuse of ‘keeping us safe.’ We lost many of our Fourth Amendments rights and they will not return. They convinced us to exchange our freedom and privacy for safety and they made it sound like the patriotic thing to do, hence their ‘Patriot Act.’

The Federal Reserve has existed for 107 years and during that time they stole countless trillions of dollars in wealth from average Americans. Big government stole our freedom. The 1 percent, including the Rockefeller Foundation, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Clinton Foundation, and now the Obama Foundation will make sure everything else gets stolen—including our very lives.

—Ben Garrison

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
It's extremely disorienting to have the same "right idea, but coming from the wrong place" sentiment for Garrison that normally is associated with Rall.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Woke Garrison understands the 1% is the source of society’s ills, and he knows the only way to stop them is to vote them into office!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Kit Walker posted:

Woke Garrison understands the 1% is the source of society’s ills, and he knows the only way to stop them is to vote them into office!

The closest he's come to connecting any individuals to the 1% is like, Gates, Bezos, and Soros.

...My god, ben garrison hates GBS :gb2gbs:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

"Passing Lane"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

jesus kelly

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
You're right, he did forget to put Jesus into his heaven toon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I figured Kelly would be more sympathetic towards a pair of HARD WORKING SENIORS

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
You mean SPITEFUL OLDSTERS who are denying poor WOULD-BE INHERITORS their estates through the devious application of GERIATRIC MEDICINE (NEW FAD)?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

I figured Kelly would be more sympathetic towards a pair of HARD WORKING SENIORS
It makes sense when you remember that Kelly wouldn’t see himself as a shriveled up old man. He’s a hip and happenin’ guy!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pants Donkey posted:

But if hes a textualist then why did he make a ruling I dislike :qq:

yesssssssss

Your tears are delicious :allears:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Electric Phantasm posted:

Kelly hates everyone who isn't Kelly or currently praising Kelly.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Kelly hates everyone who isn't Kelly or currently praising Kelly.

And certain celebrities, defined according to his own whims.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

But if he’s a textualist then why did he make a ruling I dislike :qq:

Amazing how transparent they are that "Textualism" is just supposed to mean "deciding the way the GOP wants". :allears:

bartok
May 10, 2006

The Quaker Oats guy owned slaves?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Quakers were renown slavers, after all.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Yes, of course. The United States stood, undivided, united in purpose, for an unbroken period of time ending just now. In 2020. (And if anything did happen prior to now that, say, involved disunity, then we should probably honor the flag of those people that were against the Union because I'm sure it was for a very good reason)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

bartok posted:

The Quaker Oats guy owned slaves?

His fellow quakers would be pretty pissed with him.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the return of the bull market – A further relaxation of the coronavirus lockdown rules saw many shops reopen across England on Monday"

Telegraph:

Royal Ascot without silly hats and posh frocks but royalty on the box
Bonus! Send your dad a special Blower print for Fathers' Day!

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Racism contributed to disproportionate UK BAME coronavirus deaths, inquiry finds

Evening Standard:

UK jobcentre claimants rise 126% to 2.8m since start of the lockdown

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... Britain goes shopping again

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Faustian Bargain posted:

Why is this even a comic? It seems like every few weeks we see them just floating in the air with the author's facebook status as a conscience stream.
Because it makes the creator feel like they're making something on par with the moments when Calvin and Hobbes fly out of their billy-cart/sled, but without having to draw and watercolour all the difficult landscapes.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Artificial Kid posted:

Because it makes the creator feel like they're making something on par with the moments when Calvin and Hobbes fly out of their billy-cart/sled, but without having to draw and watercolour all the difficult landscapes.

Its actually pretty funny to think about. It makes no sense without the additional context that Stantis is shallowly mimicking Calvin and Hobbes, a comic that ended a full quarter of a century ago. Just goes to show, comics are hypothetically for kids, but their real audience is boomer who want reassurances the last 30 some years never happened and it's still Morning in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Scott Morrison talking to opposition leader Anthony Albanese. Written on the dead tree are the names/nicknames of old Labor politicians. The fountain is Josh Frydenberg.

Leak, Son of Leak:

Karm Gilespie: government appeals to China over fate of Australian man sentenced to death (Guardian).
Universities hit back at China's 'unjustified' warning to students that Australia is unsafe (Guardian).
Go8 is The Group of Eight, the eight top research universities in Australia.

Broelman:

Wilcox:

Knight:

Victorian Labor party branch-stacking scandal. Somyurek is the Labor powerbroker primarily involved and the other two are his factional allies, all three are out of the ministry.

Zanetti:

Frecklington is the leader of the opposition in Queensland, her LNP opposition party is also having problems.
LNP turmoil as Deb Frecklington issues loyalty ultimatum to president Dave Hutchinson (ABC).
"Faceless men" refers to those who have influence over party policy who usually have little to no public profile.