Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Edit: probably not the best idea

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Seriously, though, that's a very fact specific question that is going to hinge on state and local law. You'll have to talk to the guy that you pay money to figure out the best answer. You might very well need a suit to declare your rights. You might not. You might be in breach by talking with us. You might not. I don't know.

You also did not mention your state.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Mr. Nice! posted:

Seriously, though, that's a very fact specific question that is going to hinge on state and local law. You'll have to talk to the guy that you pay money to figure out the best answer. You might very well need a suit to declare your rights. You might not. You might be in breach by talking with us. You might not. I don't know.

You also did not mention your state.

Edited in the state.

And yeah I figured it's so specific, that there isn't any kind of general answer to it. Maybe I just need to get a second opinion from another lawyer. The first lawyer telling me that if they don't pay me, I can just consider the contract terminated seemed a little weird, but maybe that's how it works. He knows better than me.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Fish Of Doom posted:

Edited in the state.

And yeah I figured it's so specific, that there isn't any kind of general answer to it. Maybe I just need to get a second opinion from another lawyer. The first lawyer telling me that if they don't pay me, I can just consider the contract terminated seemed a little weird, but maybe that's how it works. He knows better than me.
If he didn't explicitly tell you not to post about it on the internet, I too would be seeking a second opinion....

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Fish Of Doom posted:

Edit: probably not the best idea

Another success story!

seriously good luck goon come back and tell us how it goes when it ultimately resolves

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
What sort of repercussions will the recent Supreme Court case about the 1964 Civil Rights Act have?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

VanSandman posted:

What sort of repercussions will the recent Supreme Court case about the 1964 Civil Rights Act have?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Mr. Nice! posted:

Another success story!

seriously good luck goon come back and tell us how it goes when it ultimately resolves
You did him a tremendous service by not quoting his post in your replies.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

VanSandman posted:

Man just read the news and the thousand think pieces that are gonna come out in the next few months and then read the various legal blogs that are going to cover new lawsuits filed citing the case, track the administrative rulings and law making coming out the White House, consult your crystal ball, oh no you got the bad tarot card you’re gonna own more in taxes this year

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lmao

That is especially true about the defense firms

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Lapp works great

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 16, 2020

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Good employment lawyers have been telling their clients to act this way for years since the circuits have been split. Harder sell if you have a client like Hobby Lobby or whatever that actively wants to discriminate, but this wasn’t out of left field for the employment law community.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah many states already covered these classes as well

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Congrats all you LGBTQ people being fired/not being hired because you weren't a good fit, were disruptive, there was a candidate we preferred because of any triviality we can find on their resume, they had a better personal recommendation, etc. instead of your orientation or gender. You know, just like minorities, elderly, women, the disabled, nonchristians, etc. every single day.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I was served a court date in a civil court over a hospitial bill. I thought I was having a heart attack and dying. Never been to a hospitial before and had no insurance. Now I am being sued . I own nothing and am unemployed, and I am late on my rent. I have two dollars and eight cents in my bank. I have never been to court and am kind of nervous, how does it work? Do I need to bring anything to show that hey, I have no money to give?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Applesnots posted:

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I was served a court date in a civil court over a hospitial bill. I thought I was having a heart attack and dying. Never been to a hospitial before and had no insurance. Now I am being sued . I own nothing and am unemployed, and I am late on my rent. I have two dollars and eight cents in my bank. I have never been to court and am kind of nervous, how does it work? Do I need to bring anything to show that hey, I have no money to give?

They won't care that you have nothing to give, but you might want to try contacting the billing department in the hospital, I'm willing to bet that someone stole your identity and skipped out on the bill in your name. Otherwise, time to see if any local universities have free legal clinics.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Volmarias posted:

They won't care that you have nothing to give, but you might want to try contacting the billing department in the hospital, I'm willing to bet that someone stole your identity and skipped out on the bill in your name. Otherwise, time to see if any local universities have free legal clinics.

I think you've misread their post, I'm pretty sure they are saying that the bill is legitimate and asking how to mitigate getting sued.

Applesnots posted:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Volmarias posted:

So guess I am hosed? Court date is a few days away, I could not find this thread. Like am I just suppose to whimper and accept my fate?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hub Cat posted:

I think you've misread their post, I'm pretty sure they are saying that the bill is legitimate and asking how to mitigate getting sued.

It is this.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I am terrified.
ED: Only debt I have, I dont even keep credit cards.
Will I have to pay court costs? I dont even have enough cash for a can of spaghetti'os

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 16, 2020

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Applesnots posted:

I am terrified.
ED: Only debt I have, I dont even keep credit cards.
Will I have to pay court costs? I dont even have enough cash for a can of spaghetti'os

are you *sure* someone didn't steal your identity and skip out on the bill in your name?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

owlhawk911 posted:

are you *sure* someone didn't steal your identity and skip out on the bill in your name?

Yeah, but that would be perjury and would get me in real trouble?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I'm not a lawyer but Volmarias is right that you should get started by looking for free legal aid in your area, you can simply google legal clinic YOUR CITY or YOUR STATE a lot of places will have a list on a government website and even if they can't help you they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hub Cat posted:

I'm not a lawyer but Volmarias is right that you should get started by looking for free legal aid in your area, you can simply google legal clinic YOUR CITY or YOUR STATE a lot of places will have a list on a government website and even if they can't help you they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Thank you

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hub Cat posted:

It probably wont help, It is on Wednesday. What horrors can I expect them to do to me for around a 1.5k bill? I really know nothing about this and any words will be appreciated.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Applesnots posted:

It probably wont help, It is on Wednesday. What horrors can I expect them to do to me for around a 1.5k bill? I really know nothing about this and any words will be appreciated.

Is this the first you've heard about this?

Do call the billing department, tell them that you're jobless and broke and ask if they can work with you or find some charitable grants you could put towards this. It costs them money to have a lawyer show up in court, and if there's no chance you'll ever be able to pay it's not worth their time.

The bill will probably magically find a way to turn into $50 to be paid in 6 months, since that's more than the $0 they'll get trying to hound you for money you don't have.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Applesnots posted:

Call the court first thing tomorrow morning and ask them for a continuance so you can try to find counsel. They may or may not grant it, but if they do they’ll reset the hearing for a later date to give you a little more time.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Volmarias posted:

Is this the first you've heard about this?

Do call the billing department, tell them that you're jobless and broke and ask if they can work with you or find some charitable grants you could put towards this. It costs them money to have a lawyer show up in court, and if there's no chance you'll ever be able to pay it's not worth their time.

The bill will probably magically find a way to turn into $50 to be paid in 6 months, since that's more than the $0 they'll get trying to hound you for money you don't have.
Should I call the billing dept at the hospital or the law office? since it is already way too late? I knew about this a while back, but I have never had to deal with courts I just was unsure what to do do, I figured I just showed up and bad things happened.

Kalman posted:

Call the court first thing tomorrow morning and ask them for a continuance so you can try to find counsel. They may or may not grant it, but if they do they’ll reset the hearing for a later date to give you a little more time.
I am going to do this too.

Thank you guys so much. I cant even sleep.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Applesnots posted:

Should I call the billing dept at the hospital or the law office? since it is already way too late? I knew about this a while back, but I have never had to deal with courts I just was unsure what to do do, I figured I just showed up and bad things happened.

I mean avoiding something like debt is eventually going to escalate to the worst solution. If you call literally the day before most places will be more then willing to work something out. Contact whoever sent you the most recent correspondence regarding the debt and talk to someone. I had a similar situation and the first time I called the legal firm handling the collection said "ok sure we'll send you a payment agreement to work out, tell us what you can pay any amount we'll circle back in a year and maybe raise it"

And I'm not sure if its panic but your entire attitude to this seems like just let it happen and do nothing. No matter how bad it gets every time I was in a similar situation ignoring it always makes it worse. When I was getting evicted and I had no money I was able to get a free legal clinic to meet with me in a matter of days and they helped tremendously just letting me know what my legal options were and made me feel like the world wasn't on fire.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Applesnots posted:

I am going to do this too.

Thank you guys so much. I cant even sleep.
I would call the hospital billing department first, the worst they can do is say that it's too late and they'll have the information on charitable aid or setting up a payment plan readily available. You can always call the law office after if the hospital doesn't work out.

Try to get some sleep you can't do anything till morning and being stressed out and tired isn't going to help dealing with this; they want to work with you to get paid something the last thing they want to do is pay a lawyer to sue a person that can't afford SpaghettiOs.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 16, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hi.

Today my wife's dentist shaved the sides of her teeth without asking or even informing. My wife is completely melting down and sobbing because her smile was one of her best features and now it's full of gaps. She is miserable.

Is it malpractice to file teeth down like this? It's permanent.

Edit: we're in California.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EwokEntourage posted:

oh no you got the bad tarot card you’re gonna own more in taxes this year

:hmmyes:

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Hi.

Today my wife's dentist shaved the sides of her teeth without asking or even informing. My wife is completely melting down and sobbing because her smile was one of her best features and now it's full of gaps. She is miserable.

My ears perked up, but that is an intensely fact specific question that depends upon local law. Go to the dentists office and get every shred of paper associated with your wife's care, including consents, super bills, billing documentation, and "CDT codes". I've seen dentists do this exact thing for no medical reason other than they get to bill the insurance company a extra few grand. Set up an appointment with a med mal lawyer and talk to them.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

1) Assume that they won't give you the continuance so you still need to find a legal aid clinic.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 16, 2020

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Hub Cat posted:

I would call the hospital billing department first, the worst they can do is say that it's too late and they'll have the information on charitable aid or setting up a payment plan readily available. You can always call the law office after if the hospital doesn't work out.

Try to get some sleep you can't do anything till morning and being stressed out and tired isn't going to help dealing with this; they want to work with you to get paid something the last thing they want to do is pay a lawyer to sue a person that can't afford SpaghettiOs.

Called hospital billing and they told me to call the lawyers, called the lawyers and they were like nope, you getting sued no matter what, we have lawyers there all day everyday. Called the court to get time to find counsil, and only the lawyers can grant that so, yeah, wish me luck.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Beachcomber posted:

Hi.

Is she doing some orthodontic treatment like Invisalign? That's one case where it's done to gain space to move teeth around and should be closed at the end of treatment. Ideally it should have been mentioned before doing it.

Ancillary Character fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 16, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Applesnots posted:

Called hospital billing and they told me to call the lawyers, called the lawyers and they were like nope, you getting sued no matter what, we have lawyers there all day everyday. Called the court to get time to find counsil, and only the lawyers can grant that so, yeah, wish me luck.

Is Applesnots here really headed for a medical bankruptcy over such a paltry sum as $1500? It seems like a judge would frown at a hospital not working with them on a payment plan?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Lol the judge doesn’t give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Is Applesnots here really headed for a medical bankruptcy over such a paltry sum as $1500? It seems like a judge would frown at a hospital not working with them on a payment plan?

If a guy owes you money and has been ignoring all your calls/letters until the day before you get to the court hearing, are you going to go with a purely voluntary payment plan or are you just going to go ahead and get the judgement and then start talking about how you are going to get paid with that in your hands?