Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Comrade Koba posted:

You were "done" with the first book after the fight you had with Mordirith, because that's where the original Shadows of Angmar ended. The rest is pre-expansion filler that really should have been put in its own book. All of it isn't bad (although gently caress doing it on a class without easy access to fast travel, lol), but it's a bit of a slog early on. Like jalapeno_dude said, just do it for completion and it'll make more sense later on.

What I did to make things easier was to beeline for the free legendary item in Moria (you need to do the first few quests of Book II), then do all of Eregion to gain a few easy levels before powering through the rest of the Angmar stuff. You also get a deed and a title for completing it, if that's your kind of thing.

If you're willing to pay a few bucks for mithril coins, it should make those quests go really fast since you can just teleport back and forth using them and half of the quests are just talking to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

jalapeno_dude posted:

I think the end of Volume I is actually quite good storywise, and it certainly pays off way way later (like, level 100+) to have done it, but you certainly won't lose anything if you head to Eregion then Moria and backfill the rest of the Volume 1 books in small doses over time as you feel like it. I knocked the last few books out after Lothlorien at 60, but you can postpone it until just before you start Volume 3 and not mess up any story continuity. Even after that it's not a huge deal but your connections to the NPCs in the Volume 3 epic will make less and less sense the longer you wait.

If he's level 52 he should probably skip Eregion entirely because he's going to vastly outlevel Moria otherwise. I usually would go in to Moria at 47-48 (whatever level opens the first quests there) and still come out the other side at lvl 61 while picking up quests along the epic's route. Moria's got a lot of content and all of it is better than Angmar by a mine.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Agreed, Moria is goddamn amazing. I don’t think any other CRPG (MMO or otherwise) has managed to implement a fully underground open-world zone on a scale like it.

The non-epic quest content can get a bit repetitive (unless you really enjoy clearing out orc camps), but the zones themselves more than make up for it.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

queeb posted:

is yellow line the way to go for beorning soloing? lol the first damage trait in yellow is for a level 40 skill, not too useful at level 6

Yes, for me it was. Just get the best gear you can from skirmish camps/quests/mathom armors/crafting, and learn your rotation. Play yellow line solo like a champion who looks like a bear half the time, but has 3 different self-heals to spam and rotate. I don't remember ever dying once.

The (temporary/test) version of the open PVP server goes live noon EST Wednesday the 17th, and it'll be called Bombadil. I don't see the appeal in rushing to 50 on a server that'll be open for 27 days, and I'm not sure if they'll do a full reset once they prepare a big patch. The obvious things so far: Class balance is poor for open world PVP, and they're probably going to nerf outgoing damage/outgoing healing even more before the permanent world PVP server comes out.

For me this means the server exists to test out ganking combos and have some fun. Expect to see burglars testing out a build to one shot you, and beornings testing out unkillable tank/heal builds

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Have they said why they are even doing this? Have people been clamoring for it? I don't want them to break my class for something I'll never play. If I want pvp I'll go to another game, that's not why I play LOTRO.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Ossipago posted:

Have they said why they are even doing this? Have people been clamoring for it? I don't want them to break my class for something I'll never play. If I want pvp I'll go to another game, that's not why I play LOTRO.

They likely will not "break" any classes because of it. Effects will just work differently in PvP than they do in the regular game, just like in monster play. For example there is a temporary buff you get when you get CC'd in PvMP where any further stuns/mezzes/roots are of shorter and shorter duration, and it gets to the point where after you have gotten hit by enough stuff in fairly rapid succession you are basically immune to any kind of CC ability. Plus certain abilities do vastly reduced damage etc during PvMP. It will be stuff like that. They have pretty well shown in the past that the PvMP balancing is the last thing on their list that they care about. I wouldn't expect this to be any different.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Ossipago posted:

Like 5% of the player base, at most, plays PVP (well in this game it's technically PvMP) but they complain at an amazing rate on the official forums so I'm assuming this was the dev's (futile) attempt to shut them up.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
So I’m level 38 and just got to the Trollshaws but I’m not a fan of the zone. Too claustrophobic. Is there a better area to go to to blast out the next 10 levels before heading to Moria? Misty Mountains? What’s a fun zone y’all would recommend with some good questing?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Demon Of The Fall posted:

So I’m level 38 and just got to the Trollshaws but I’m not a fan of the zone. Too claustrophobic. Is there a better area to go to to blast out the next 10 levels before heading to Moria? Misty Mountains? What’s a fun zone y’all would recommend with some good questing?

I usually covered from 30 to ~40 in Evendim and then to Forochel in the lower forties. Sometimes had to supplement the tail end of thirties or early forties with early Misty Mountains or Aughaire in SW Angmar.

Here's a wiki page that has the general level ranges for areas:
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Category:Regional_Quests

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 16, 2020

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Evendim is really open and not at all claustrophobic and also has some nice visuals (Trollshaws is still prettier, IMO). It’s in the 30-40 range, though, so you’ll probably outlevel the first half of the zone.

The first few quest hubs in Angmar are probably enough to get you the rest of the way to level 45.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah I’ve already done everything there is to do in Evendim, I liked that area. Even got to kindred with the rep there, my first one. Got a pretty horse out of it too. Looks like I’ll check out Agmar and Farochel

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’m a big fan of Forochel. SW angmar is nice for a bit to get a taste of the zone but you’re right to want to get to Moria ASAP.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

I usually ran Evendim which got to 38-39 then ran Forochel until 42 or 43? Basically Forochel until you can quest in Eregion then stay in Eregion until 45, do the Moria intro at 45 (though it can be tough since enemies are red, but worth it imo), then keep questing in Eregion until 48. I forget if you can start the Moria epic and regular quests before 48 or not, but Eregion should have more than enough for you to do to hit that level, or higher, and Moria easily takes you to 60+ if you're going through the entire thing (go through the entire thing). If you get a grant stair group and pop a booster before turning in the 38723309420587 quests it has, you'll definitely be over lvl 60 before leaving Moria.

For that 38-42-ish hump I remember it being something like:

Forochel >skirmishes or level scaled stuff like great barrow (getting a group might be tricky though, unless some high level person just blitzes it for you) > Angmar entrance area > Misty Mountains (too much running around) > deeper in to Angmar

e: I think 45 is when scaling instances start to drop gear too, right? If so, and if low level gear stats never got revamped, then running some of those with a group can net you gear that's far better than what you'll otherwise get from quests/drops (crafted might be better, I forget if that gear got revamped?) for a long while. When I leveled my champion I had a pair of lvl 65 rings from warg pens (farmed using my captain) that were significantly better stats than anything else in to the mid 70s, except other scaled instance gear.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 16, 2020

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Kaysette posted:

I’m a big fan of Forochel. SW angmar is nice for a bit to get a taste of the zone but you’re right to want to get to Moria ASAP.

I enjoyed Forochel once but god does it take forever to get anywhere in that zone.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

jalapeno_dude posted:

I enjoyed Forochel once but god does it take forever to get anywhere in that zone.

I've found that the best way to do Forochel is to finish out all the quests in the first little camp in the southeast near the entrance to the area, and then once you're done there ride to each of the other towns/camps and pick up every quest you can at one time. There are a ton of quests that have no prerequisites and many of them have overlap on the enemies that count for the kills/drops.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Did they ever do anything about only Warden and Hunter getting native fast travel abilities? I'm sick of having to max out the rep with all the factions just to get the travel skills.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I know the thread is probably tired of seeing this but I'm just checking to make sure, by adding everything with the big promo code, and scooping up all the 99 point expansion thingies I have all the games content EXCEPT Mordor and Minas Morgul right? And those I wont need for anything until I approach that level of content yes?

Reason I ask is the account page is pretty vague about showing stuff. Like even after adding all the above it only shows I have the base game, Moria and Mirkwood which I got a long time ago.

It shows...
Shadows of Angmar™ Standard
Mines of Moria™ Standard
Siege of Mirkwood™
Shared Storage

If I played I'd sub because I hate hate hate playing as a F2P player in any game and want to eliminate any restrictions it puts on you.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Givin posted:

I know the thread is probably tired of seeing this but I'm just checking to make sure, by adding everything with the big promo code, and scooping up all the 99 point expansion thingies I have all the games content EXCEPT Mordor and Minas Morgul right? And those I wont need for anything until I approach that level of content yes?

Reason I ask is the account page is pretty vague about showing stuff. Like even after adding all the above it only shows I have the base game, Moria and Mirkwood which I got a long time ago.

It shows...
Shadows of Angmar™ Standard
Mines of Moria™ Standard
Siege of Mirkwood™
Shared Storage

If I played I'd sub because I hate hate hate playing as a F2P player in any game and want to eliminate any restrictions it puts on you.

The 99 point things are quest packs. They are not technically the full expansion, so don't get extra things like races/classes, cosmetic gear, mounts, and boosts that may have been included with the expansion.

So for example since you own Mines of Moria as the full expansion, you should already have access to Wardens and Rune-Keepers. However, if you had not already owned that and got the Mines of Moria quest pack, it would not include those classes.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Oh ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Defiantly more concerned about content over cosmetics for now.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Does anyone know why LotrO abandoned the classic expansion pack model, then brought it back? I've seen people refer to the Gondor content as a "shadow expansion" because it was delivered as a series of updates/quest packs instead.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Comrade Koba posted:

Does anyone know why LotrO abandoned the classic expansion pack model, then brought it back? I've seen people refer to the Gondor content as a "shadow expansion" because it was delivered as a series of updates/quest packs instead.

The classic model was never just expansion packs. For a long time LOTRO alternated between content releases that didn't increase the level cap (Lothlorien, Enedwaith, Great River, Wildermore) and larger expansion packs that increased the level cap (Moria, Mirkwood, Dunland, East Rohan, West Rohan). West Gondor deviated from this pattern by increasing the level cap but not being a full expansion. Then there was a lot of demand for staying at 100 so they did several updates there and several more at 105. Starting with Mordor they've gone back to alternating.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

oh poo poo, happy birthday bilbo!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Do the enduring universal tools in the store go on sale often? 450 is a bit much for something like that I think and anything in the auction house costs a hilarious amount of gold.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
I just have regular universal tools (that cost 150 and come up as daily rewards frequently) on most of my characters, the only difference between the two is that the enduring set has more durability and harvests nodes 1.5 seconds faster. They're bind on account so you can switch between characters as well.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jun 22, 2020

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Givin posted:

Do the enduring universal tools in the store go on sale often? 450 is a bit much for something like that I think and anything in the auction house costs a hilarious amount of gold.

That's a fairly new item from last fall. Probably not going on sale anytime soon. And probably not worth it.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

e: all set now

before these dead forums finally kill the kin, can anyone make me a lvl 100 first age book and staff? i have the symbols and emeralds but don't trust any randos. i'll be around tomorrow or can just mail the stuff + a tip.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 25, 2020

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Kaysette posted:

before these dead forums finally kill the kin, can anyone make me a lvl 100 first age book and staff? i have the symbols and emeralds but don't trust any randos. i'll be around tomorrow or can just mail the stuff + a tip.

By the way, there is a discord server link posted in the first post.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

flowinprose posted:

By the way, there is a discord server link posted in the first post.

Nice, ty. I need to start using discord more...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Kaysette posted:

Nice, ty. I need to start using discord more...

For all your goon discord needs.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Ok so, I'm suffering from lootbox overload. I'm drowning in these Travelers Steel Bound Lockboxes and it's honestly a pain in the rear end. Before I destroy these things, do people seriously waste cash on keys from the store for these things? I threw like 5 up on the AH at a blowout price and none have moved in 24 hours so that seems out.

Do people open these at 120 for a specific reason? Is the loot worth a drat then?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Givin posted:

Ok so, I'm suffering from lootbox overload. I'm drowning in these Travelers Steel Bound Lockboxes and it's honestly a pain in the rear end. Before I destroy these things, do people seriously waste cash on keys from the store for these things? I threw like 5 up on the AH at a blowout price and none have moved in 24 hours so that seems out.

Do people open these at 120 for a specific reason? Is the loot worth a drat then?

You should just filter those out imo. Everyone drowns in them otherwise.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Badass. Didn't know that feature existed. That's a gamechanger. Thanks for that.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/en/thegreatwedding

Downtime Notice: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) Tuesday, June 30th

The LOTRO game worlds will be unavailable from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM Eastern (-4 GMT) on Tuesday, June 30th to release Update 27: The Great Wedding. Click here for the Release Notes.

Pretty big and free update even if you're not interested in weddings

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
If nothing else, log in, complete the auto-bestow quest, use the map, and wander around the city with your music up listening to the upbeat remixes of classic LOTRO musical themes. (The Shire theme with the addition of a funky drum beat made my jaw drop.) Game good.

Haven't done much of the story yet but presumably it'll be good as usual. Interestingly it's Volume V of the Epic (Volume IV ended before Mordor), so I guess they're going to alternate between Epic Books/Volumes and other things depending on whether we're tracking the actual events of LOTR.

ETA: Have now done the story. I give them lots of credit for going an entire Book, and as far as I can tell an entire zone, with absolutely no combat. Game continues to be good.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 1, 2020

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
There are armies of bot bands every five steps arguing over who owns this street corner playing music over top of each other.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

jalapeno_dude posted:

ETA: Have now done the story. I give them lots of credit for going an entire Book, and as far as I can tell an entire zone, with absolutely no combat. Game continues to be good.
No combat, but I found myself wishing it was a PVP server when people kept ganking my music sheets. If you are experiencing any sort of lag, then for your own sanity don't accept that quest.

It is fun though and I am overall enjoying it. Is there anywhere that has screenshots of all the festival barter steeds yet? I'm going to hit the token cap (which is a weird thing to introduce), so I need to find something to spend them on that doesn't have to live in an inventory slot.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

bombhand posted:

No combat, but I found myself wishing it was a PVP server when people kept ganking my music sheets. If you are experiencing any sort of lag, then for your own sanity don't accept that quest.

It is fun though and I am overall enjoying it. Is there anywhere that has screenshots of all the festival barter steeds yet? I'm going to hit the token cap (which is a weird thing to introduce), so I need to find something to spend them on that doesn't have to live in an inventory slot.

Ohh yeah the music sheet and firefly quests are maddening. Would be terrible game design even if other players couldn't steal them; since they can it's even worse.

They're raising the cap to 250 in a hotfix apparently; don't know why there's a cap at all but I guess it's better.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Another morning of downtime for a limited time festival with zero gameplay. This thing was that broken huh. I'll at least say that most MMOs don't bother to fix broken game features that fast.

I'm not sure why, but I just can't get into their limited time events at all. Even for a slick mount or two. I wanted a moose/elk mount for a few elf characters I'm working on but I just couldn't be bothered for some reason. I'm going to blame it on working a few characters up at the same time + tradeskilling. I'm sure I'd probably feel different with a capped character.

I can't bitch tho. Having a lot of fun completing deeds and just going through content I never saw 12 years ago. Just got my very first lego weapon and I want to finish all the deeds I can before I jump into Moria. Seeing all the piles of loot in my bag when I finish a quest loop gives me Diablo 2 levels of dopamine hits.

I wish I had played this game on the serious as it was coming out. Dungeons look pretty rad.

EDIT:
My bitching worked. Game up again yay.

Givin fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 2, 2020

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
The halloween and winter holidays in LOTRO are exceptional, though the festivals are all pretty fun the first year you do them. After that I just annually check out any new content/cosmetics which they're actually better at adding than most MMOs. But I can't imagine doing a full festival grind more than once even on a single character, much less alts. On the plus side the XP scales, so if you find yourself needing a quick level or two the dailies at least have good ROI for that, and the final chain of any holiday always gives relevant endgame mats if that's something you're into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a list of what's worth grabbing from the shop to make the play experience smoother? I'll have VIP. Not interested in level skips or the like, just convenience/speed/travel/inventory fixers.

The store is filled with so much I can't even parse it.