Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

charliebravo77 posted:

Unless the EOS R5 is VERY competitively priced, I think I am going to pick up an EOS R and the RF 24-105/f4 as my first big boy camera upgrade from the 80D. If I am satisfied with f2.8 lenses on an APS-C body, f4 on a full frame should be drat near identical, right (plus better dynamic range and low light performance compared to the 80D sensor)? Or should I just get a Tamron EF 24-70/f2.8 in addition to my 70-200/f2.8? Sorta wanted a 'one lens solution' for outdoorsy stuff (not wildlife) so I don't have to lug a ton of glass around but I dunno.

the f/4 L lenses are good, I think you'd be fine w/the 24-105. also don't forget the R6 is coming too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Not a big difference but with canon apsc a fullframe f4 is a third of a stop wider than a crop f2.8 too.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

astr0man posted:

the f/4 L lenses are good, I think you'd be fine w/the 24-105. also don't forget the R6 is coming too

That's true, I had kind of put the R6 out of my mind due to the 20mp sensor rumor, so I guess I should wait and see if that's actually the case. If the R6 is 24-30mp it'll probably be an instant buy.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I don't see how they could release the R6 with less megapixels than either the R, RP, and R5. A magazine had the R5 incorrectly listed as being 26.2 MP so I think that was actually the R6 spec they put in by mistake. If it's actually less than the 24.2 MP of the Sony A7 III that'd be super strange and definitely Canon shooting itself in the foot again.

I think the R6 is going to be great (if I'm right about the MP count) - but the one thing I'm unhappy with is the lack of the top down screen. I know Sony cameras don't even have them but I've never had a camera without one and I really do use it a ton and it'd take a while to get used to its absence.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 16, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I use the top down screen more than I thought I would when I got my first camera that had one, but I wouldn't be sad to have it gone. Putting more wheels in that space makes way more sense to me from a usability perspective.

But not the mode dial. Make it an ISO or aperture wheel. Or one of each!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Thought this may be of interest to the thread, one of the next satellites my company is launching is an optical imaging satellite manufactured by Canon:

https://en.canon-elec.co.jp/space/

The press release says:

quote:

Equips a Canon digital SLR camera mated to a 400mm diameter Catadioptric Cassegrain telescope. This allows a 6km x 4km ground image with 0.9m resolution, good enough to count individual passenger cars.

But I can't see any practical reason that you'd need a mirror or viewfinder prism on a satellite... So more likely it's just a sensor and some electronics from an SLR being used mirrorless.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Blackhawk posted:

Thought this may be of interest to the thread, one of the next satellites my company is launching is an optical imaging satellite manufactured by Canon:

https://en.canon-elec.co.jp/space/

The press release says:

But I can't see any practical reason that you'd need a mirror or viewfinder prism on a satellite... So more likely it's just a sensor and some electronics from an SLR being used mirrorless.

Yeah It's probably just some press misquoting/translating and they are using a Canon sensor. I always think of this awesome setup when I hear Canon and space

https://petapixel.com/2015/05/27/this-telescope-uses-10-canon-lenses-worth-100000/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I know everyone is waitng for the R5 with bated breath and frightened wallets but here's what's looking liek the offical specs on the R6

Canon EOS R6 Specifications:

20mp full-frame CMOS sensor
IBIS
12fps mechanical and 20fps electronic.
Oversampled 5K Video
4K @ 60p
FullHD @ 120p
Canon Log
10-bit
Zebras
AF identical to the EOS R5
No RAW video mode
Dual SD UHS-II slots
Head detection AF
Animal detection AF
Identical 5 million dot EVF as the EOS R5
No top-down screen
Build quality not as good as the EOS R5
Bluetooth 4.2 (EOS R5 to get Bluetooth 5.0)
LP-E6NH Battery (Same as the EOS R5)
Announcement July 9, 2020
Under $2500 USD (Rumored)

Looks to be on the photograpy side for low light and cleaner at higher ISO

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm hopeful it's actually not a 20mp sensor (and in reality is "20mp-ish" like 24/26), but no top screen is a little annoying as I've grown to like it on my 80D. Lesser build quality is a downside too, but if that means "same as the R" then it's probably fine. Wonder if it'll have a joystick or be touchscreen AF point selection like the R. I dunno, I've pretty much resigned myself to be disappointed with the R6 specs and R5 pricing and will buy a R when they hopefully drop in price yet again. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, though.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
I'm almost more fascinated to see what these supposed f/11 RF super teles are like.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
No eye AF? Isn't that purely a software thing?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Thom12255 posted:

No eye AF? Isn't that purely a software thing?

I'm pretty sure I have heard eye AF mentioned with the R5/6 I don't have a source on it though.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Canon fuking sucks nikon so much better w/ canon u get like 2 less megapixels than they say only like 4 lenses that arent total poo poo buy nikon instead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I see Nikon have launched their new marketing strategy then.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Is there really any appreciable deficit in a newer 20MP FF camera vs an older 24MP sensor camera? Even if you are having to upscale a little more to attain a set print size, it seems like there are differences in image processing, even for RAW files, that close the megapixel gap to some degree.

I’m only floating this idea because if you go to the dpreview image comparison tool and compare a high-end/newer 20MP sensor (1DXii) to midrange 24ish MP sensors from a few years ago, you will see the following (RAW ISO100):

vs A7ii and 5Diii: comparable detail with better false color and moire suppression.

vs D610: wiping the floor with it. The D610 looks like someone spread Vaseline on the sensor in comparison.

The 20MP 1Dxii loses some resolution vs the latest 24MP sensor in, like, the D780, but I think if I was detailed landscape prints and could take either a 1DXii or an A7ii/D610 to shoot with, I’d go with the 1DX, even though it’s “lower resolution, for sports and action”.

That’s not the say that the R6’s sensor will be that much better in the same way as a 1DXiii, but it is new. I’d kind of expect it to still serve up better detail than some older 24MP FF cameras.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't think canon has announced the actual megapixels of the R6, the 20MP is a number that showed up on a rumor blog several months ago and has been parroted ever since.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm like 90% onboard with the R6 but I think I'm gonna miss the top screen.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
How big a print do you think you could get away with for a 20MP sensor? The biggest prints of my pictures in my house are 16x24" and those are taken with my 6D Mk2 at 26.2MP and I think they look good from a detail perspective.

But basically the biggest benefits I've wanted from getting a mirrorless upgrade are Eye AF and not having to worry about lens calibration anymore. If the R6 has Eye AF, I'll pick it up.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I shoot with a 4mp Powershot G2, fight me :v:
Shot this the other day in fact

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

How big a print do you think you could get away with for a 20MP sensor? The biggest prints of my pictures in my house are 16x24" and those are taken with my 6D Mk2 at 26.2MP and I think they look good from a detail perspective.

But basically the biggest benefits I've wanted from getting a mirrorless upgrade are Eye AF and not having to worry about lens calibration anymore. If the R6 has Eye AF, I'll pick it up.

20MP could make a 5000x4000 pixel file, so at 200 DPI you could print around 25"x20". 200DPI is kind of the ballpark you want to provide to a printer, but depending on application you can go a lot larger (viewing distance, medium, etc, all play a factor). Some places let you print as low as 100DPI. 300DPI is a waste in my experience, I haven't found any medium that can handle that kind of detail. Not saying it's not out there, but it's probably pretty pricey.

To me the main advantage to monstrous MP sensors is the freedom to crop in post (but that carries its own risks because of lens resolution problems).

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Thom12255 posted:

I printed a 20x30" wildlife pic from my 18MP T3i a few years ago and it turned out fine. 20x30" prints from my 30MP EOS R look tack sharp.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Large prints that will be examined closely are a pretty niche thing and are often of subjects that work well with composited images.

And 20mp vs 24mp is not a huge difference in linear resolution, at 200dpi it would be 30" vs 27".

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

xzzy posted:

I don't think canon has announced the actual megapixels of the R6, the 20MP is a number that showed up on a rumor blog several months ago and has been parroted ever since.

CanonRumors has been pretty drat good in nailing the specs of the R5 and R6 - I'd pretty much take it as given at this point. R6 is almost certainly using the 1DxIII's sensor I suspect - I dont think 20mp is gonna matter too much anyway as almost all the photos will be only seen on smallish screens and not printed out to huge size.

TBH I I'm starting to think the R6 will be the first RF mount camera I get, the specs in general look gooood

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I'm a photography noob and I want to take up photography with a nice DSLR

a friend suggested a Canon Rebel T7, and Keiss Lenses and Manfrotto tripod, does that sound good?

Doesn't seem this model was listed in the OP, and it apparently seems like they dropped the Rebel branding on the model...

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

a friend suggested a Canon Rebel T7, and Keiss Lenses and Manfrotto tripod, does that sound good?
You want the T7i. The 'i' is important. The T7 is the gimped model.
I'm assuming you meant Zeiss lenses, which are expensive overkill. Get something like the sigma 18-35 or tamron 17-50 (non vc), or just shoot with the kit lens until you figure out what types of photos you want to take.
Check out the gear thread to learn about tripods.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Also, save a bunch of money by shopping Canon’s refurb store or a reputable used seller like KEH that offers a warranty.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
With macro I often crop, higher megapixels give me more cropping room, obviously there is the diffraction limit of the lens. It's a careful balance for depth of field/detail etc.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

TheLastManStanding posted:

You want the T7i. The 'i' is important. The T7 is the gimped model.
I'm assuming you meant Zeiss lenses, which are expensive overkill. Get something like the sigma 18-35 or tamron 17-50 (non vc), or just shoot with the kit lens until you figure out what types of photos you want to take.
Check out the gear thread to learn about tripods.

As for the lenses, yeah they suggested Zeiss, like 100-300mm for wildlife.

I already kind of know: landscape, architecture, birds, flowers, that sort of thing.

Not really interested in taking photos of humans (yet) unless it's scenic in some way.

and Geez, T7->T7i is like double the price. Why the huge jump?

I was looking at the Canon camera bundles that come with everything like lenses, stand, etc, that seemed like it was a good deal. (for the t7)

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 24, 2020

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because the T7i is a decent beginner body and the T7 is not.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Because the T7i is a decent beginner body and the T7 is not.

I don't know enough about what constitutes a good or bad body, and I didn't read it in the op.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/canon-rebel-t7-vs-t7i/

This seems pretty reasonable as to why the t7i is better though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know enough about what constitutes a good or bad body, and I didn't read it in the op.

The T series versus the Ti series are designed for someone like you, but who didn't ask anyone first. They gimp much of the useability to segment their model lines. Can you take pictures that will be just as nice on either? Sure. But your experience will be far better with the i, and you're more likely to enjoy the process and hence stick with it. Buy used, the price difference between a new T and a used Ti will be more palatable. Avoid the all in one kits, the add ons are junk (the memory cards, tripods, lens cleaners and such are all suspect). Buy a used body/body with kit lens, or the Sigma/Tamron lenses suggested, you'll have a setup good for years.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

You might as well grab a t8i because I don't think the price on used t7i bodies has dropped much.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was looking at the Canon camera bundles that come with everything like lenses, stand, etc, that seemed like it was a good deal. (for the t7)

If it's one of those bundles that gives you a bunch of accessories, then be aware that most of those bits will be garbage and not worth the cost even if they are free. You'll typically get a slow and small SD card, a lovely tripod, a worse bag, and a bunch of random plastic crap that you will throw into a drawer and never look at again after you've unboxed it all. Buy a couple of good SD cards, a couple of microfibre cloths, a rocket blower, and lenspen or two, and then figure out what else you want after you've shot for a bit and seen what would actually be useful (then buy good versions of that stuff, rather than the Wish.com rejects that typically come bundled with entry level DSLR starter kits).

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Speaking of garbage, I've still got the 18-55 kit lens from my t2i as my only wide lens. The next widest lens I have is the 40mm pancake, so what would be a good wide-angle prime or zoom to pick up?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

brand engager posted:

Speaking of garbage, I've still got the 18-55 kit lens from my t2i as my only wide lens. The next widest lens I have is the 40mm pancake, so what would be a good wide-angle prime or zoom to pick up?

Canon 10-18 4.5-5.6 for ultra wide. Affordable and quite sharp, if you don’t mind it feeling a bit plasticky. There are third party zoom and prime alternatives, but most of them are bulkier full frame lenses. Sigma 18-35 1.8 if you shoot that range a lot is a favorite for aps-c.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The EF-S 10-22mm is a great lens too. I almost never shoot ultra wide anymore but when I thought getting absolutely everything in frame was paramount, I used the poo poo out of it.

It and the 10-18 can be about the same price these days (you have to shop around though), so the decision largely depends on whether you value stability or a wider aperture.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Cool I'll probably pick up at least the sigma after payday, just wanted to ask right away in case the forums vanish.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Good point.

The Ti series bodies are much more durable and (as a consequence) keep their value much more than the T equivalent.

Also, you may be better off getting a used body. Sometimes, the differences between what's on sale and last year's model may be negligible beyond the price: https://youtu.be/baHqjUrykTU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Are there wide angle lenses you can get, are they worth it?

Also, what about different filters? These seem like situational add-ons that can do cool things, like, I was seeing a kaleidoscope filter that looks pretty cool (one of those FB product ad things, of course) and it got me wondering how much cool add-ons these things have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Creative filters should be pretty far down your list.

The useful ones whose effects can't be replicated in post are ND filters that can lower your shutter speed (with a tripod) and get you shots with a lot of motion blur (like those cliche milky white waterfall shots) and polarizing filters that can be used to manage glare on water and glass. I wouldn't buy either until you need them.

I haven't used the canon 10-18mm personally, but I've heard good things, especially for the price.