Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
No school uniforms in the vatican huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
School uniforms indoctrinate children to conformity and fascism.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
So what's our excuse?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think it actually matters all that much other than the increased likelihood of developing a vaguely disturbing schoolgirl fetish

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Milo and POTUS posted:

So what's our excuse?

School uniforms reek of papacy, say American protestants.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think it actually matters all that much other than the increased likelihood of developing a vaguely disturbing schoolgirl fetish

As evinced by the popularity of "sexy Catholic schoolgirl uniform" Halloween costumes...it's not that uncommon in the USA either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I always thought school uniforms were a dumb and impractical idea and no child should ever be required to figure out a tie.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
one of the things that should have twigged people to the fact that aaron sorkin sucks poo poo is that he makes president bartlet take a "principled but unpopular" stand on uniforms for public school children in the face of the habitual complainers in the ACLU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

SlothfulCobra posted:

I always thought school uniforms were a dumb and impractical idea and no child should ever be required to figure out a tie.

I am 47 years old and refuse to use a tie, or learn how to use one.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

a fatguy baldspot posted:

are things really that dire in their exclave or is it just colored the same as russia

It's pretty average by west Russian standards.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tyva Republic :argh:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

That's a very impressive decline in the murder rate, holy cow.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You should generally take Russian statistics with a grain of salt, but I can definitely believe there's been a serious drop in the murder rate. There's a reason many Russians prefer petty dictator Putin over the chaos of the Yeltsin years.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
What's going on in Tuva, is that a hotspot for organized crime?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

You should generally take Russian statistics with a grain of salt, but I can definitely believe there's been a serious drop in the murder rate. There's a reason many Russians prefer petty dictator Putin over the chaos of the Yeltsin years.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The 90s were a very ugly time for Russia.

Kamrat posted:

Also this. I would expect higher numbers in a place like Dagestan or Chechnya.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Kamrat posted:

No one lives there, so a small number of murders can show a huge per capita crime rate.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I believe it. There was a story I heard about how in Putin's early days, he worked to take out oligarchs as part of restoring law and order in Russia. Then after he took out the bulk of the oligarchs, he used the remainder to reinforce his grasp on power and betrayed his allies who had been helping him.

And since one of his allies was an American businessman who was close friends with a Russian accountant who Putin had killed, that eventually led to the current US program of placing sanctions on Russian individuals believed to be guilty of crimes.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/07/14/537304186/episode-784-meeting-the-russians

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
The real reason the number of murders have dropped is that the murderers all killed each other.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

There's a reason many Russians prefer petty dictator Putin over the chaos of the Yeltsin years.

And that reason is the current regime just went full-on Hitler with their propaganda, blaming literally every evil in the world on (mostly) gay people, and the Russian public ate it up.

e: And dissenters with a voice mysteriously get "murdered by Chechen rebels" or suicide.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 15, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Tuvan throat singing is awesome but you don't get powers like that without making certain tradeoffs.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Count Roland posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The 90s were a very ugly time for Russia.

It was an ugly time for pretty much all of the former Warsaw Pact countries I'm guessing. This page says that the German murder rate pretty much exploded after reunification and then quickly dropped again from its peak of 1,468 cases in 1993 (although you'll have to subtract ~84 from that, for some godforsaken reason the authorities decided to a) include all the 421 people killed while trying to leave the GDR in the post-reunification murder statistics and b) spread them out roughly equally over the 1993-1997 years) to 565 in 2015. East Germans were 22% of the overall population in 1993, but accounted for 36% of all registered murders.

I'm not sure what the reasons are, although I can think of two:
  • In the early years after reunification, local authorities were more or less non-existent, especially in rural areas. Many officers had to go because of previous cooperation with the Stasi, while the remaining saw a big morale hit as the fear and respect they once commanded evaporated, leadership positions were taken over by West German officers and the rules and MO of their work changed so much that they essentially had to learn a new job overnight. This is anecdotal, but a former teacher of mine used to reminisce how he and a mate visited rural Brandenburg (I think) in 1991 and the one cop he got to meet spent all day in a perpetual drunken stupor
  • A big spike in right-wing violence after reunification - there's a reason the 90s are now also known as "baseball bat years" especially in East Germany.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

No one lives there, so a small number of murders can show a huge per capita crime rate.

Yes that would account for some abnormality but not all of it, a lot of places in Russia are sparsely populated but none of them had a homicide rate of 130/100 000, even today the number is abnormally high compared to the rest of the country

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
richard feynman's ghoul, twarted from visiting tuva in life, now stalks its populace in death

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's the Tannu Tuvan People's Front.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's pretty average by west Russian standards.

Saint Petersburg's way worse than Moscow though, cultural capital my rear end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Took me a few moments. :golfclap:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Had to zoom out to see it. Well played.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Scotland looks like it's had one too many deep-fried Mars bars.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

As for immigrants, they generally learn whichever language is dominant in their social environment, and that's not always the local vernacular. Mass immigration can put serious pressure on dialects and minority languages (see for example the status of Catalan in Barcelona). Different immigrant groups will also generally use a simplified version of the dominant language to communicate with each other and the native population, implying pressure towards a lowest common denominator, but otherwise not necessarily in a particular direction.

A big reason that the language laws were implemented in Quebec were because Immigrants would enroll their kids in English schools. That's why the Jewish community of Montreal is Anglophone.

Edit:

ToxicAcne fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 16, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I love this kind of maps and to see where I would roughly live then. I can’t be 100% sure but it might be Decatur county in NW Kansas, a place with less than 3,000 people that’s 98% white, voted for Trump with 80+% and is named after a 19th century navy hero who died after getting his dick shot off in a duel, even though the county is more than a thousand kilometres away from the nearest ocean. I sense that this is not the best place to be :v:

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

System Metternich posted:

I love this kind of maps and to see where I would roughly live then. I can’t be 100% sure but it might be Decatur county in NW Kansas, a place with less than 3,000 people that’s 98% white, voted for Trump with 80+% and is named after a 19th century navy hero who died after getting his dick shot off in a duel, even though the county is more than a thousand kilometres away from the nearest ocean. I sense that this is not the best place to be :v:

Conversely, I'm on the northeast bit of Ukraine's Russian border

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm somewhere in Nebraska, apparently. I know nothing about it but I'm guessing there's a lot of corn everywhere

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I,m currently drowning in the Red Sea.:(

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Points for matching Finland, Minnesota.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 16, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Looks like I'm in Mountrail County, North Dakota. Place is like 37% Norwegian-American so that's a thing.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

A big reason that the language laws were implemented in Quebec were because Immigrants would enroll their kids in English schools. That's why the Jewish community of Montreal is Anglophone.

Edit:

I find Montreal to be a fascinating city because it's basically Brussels, except French is the historically subjugated language and the assimilation process got stuck somewhere halfway, while not (yet) having been fully reversed either. Very clear geographical divide as well, which is rare for a single metropolitan region in the 21st century. There's just so much to study in a sociological sense.

In Brussels, where Dutch is natively spoken by only a negligible part of the population, Dutch-language schools are very popular in a relative sense, to the tune of 30% of the schoolgoing population being enrolled in one. That's mostly because there is a huge difference in terms of professional success between bilingual people and unilingual French speakers, which hasn't gone unnoticed by ambitious parents (so the correlation also has something of a chicken-egg dynamic). I've said this before, but I used to work at a place that employed several perfectly bilingual descendents of immigrants.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Montréal is the greatest city in the world and everyone should visit. But don’t move there I want to move there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Montréal is the greatest city in the world and everyone should visit. But don’t move there I want to move there.

Weren't they having problems with French people moving there because its "Cheap" and the French can't concieve of a France with multiple cities. I remember reading several articles about Montrealites complaining about French international-Gentrification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Visiting North America has never interested me, I guess I subconsciously don't find it exotic enough to justify the expense and effort, but if I did Montreal would definitely be at the top of the list.