Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people who use "XD" as their default emote. theyre all scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

"Fur baby" is awful and creepy but you'll have to pry "doggo" from my cold, dead hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b2bUZ3eeRE

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Shibawanko posted:

people who use "XD" as their default emote. theyre all scum.

...you're extremely correct!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I loving hate how lazy our IT helpdesk is. I know they get overwhelmed with stupid bullshit tickets all days but when I send them:

"My remote desktop utility is freezing, requiring restart every 10 minutes or so; internet connection on both ends is good and the program's diagnostic utility isn't reporting any latency issues at all, please advise. Additionally, there have been several logins from IPs that don't correspond to my computer, there may have been unauthorized access"

and I get back:

"Internet connection at your on-site computer is good, please contact your ISP, ticket closed"

I want to punch a hole in the wall. I haven't gotten anything done all day, which isn't their fault, but I sat through 5 hours of IT security seminars and other assorted horseshit for them, the least they could do is read past the first semi-colon on my loving help ticket.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Riatsala posted:

I loving hate how lazy our IT helpdesk is. I know they get overwhelmed with stupid bullshit tickets all days but when I send them:

"My remote desktop utility is freezing, requiring restart every 10 minutes or so; internet connection on both ends is good and the program's diagnostic utility isn't reporting any latency issues at all, please advise. Additionally, there have been several logins from IPs that don't correspond to my computer, there may have been unauthorized access"

and I get back:

"Internet connection at your on-site computer is good, please contact your ISP, ticket closed"

I want to punch a hole in the wall. I haven't gotten anything done all day, which isn't their fault, but I sat through 5 hours of IT security seminars and other assorted horseshit for them, the least they could do is read past the first semi-colon on my loving help ticket.

It must be a lovely job in general, but our IT helpdesk is much the same. My favourite is when I submit a ticket, they fire back asking for more info, I provide it, and then they sit on it for two weeks before sending an automated message saying, ‘Hey, we’ve not heard from you in a while so we’re closing your ticket!’

Added points for being all surly with me when I fire back to point out that no, it’s not closed, they just never got back to me.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate how a vagina is symbolized using a pair of hands forming a heart in advertisment. i get it, it's got to do with making love so it's a heart and a heart also kind of looks like a mons pubis but it's such an overused visual cliche and it's on everything. it's also vaguely sexist

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i checked a chapter of my wife's thesis for spelling and grammar and rewrote it a bit so it's more readable. she had to send it to her old professor in japan, and this guy just chewed her out for it, pointing out lots of "mistakes" which aren't really mistakes, but just turns of phrase that are different from whatever archaic english set phrases he learned in japanese high school.

like, you doddering old piece of poo poo, don't always think you know better. a well written thesis isn't verbose or crammed with adjectives, it's direct and clear. most of these old "professors" at japanese universities don't even hold a phd themselves, they just ended up in their position because of seniority

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pegasus is the name of a winged horse.
It is not the name of a species.
Saying "a Pegasus" is as ridiculous as saying "a Hercules".

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Calm down. You're coming across as some sort of anger-driven monster, like a Frankenstein.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I am now on board with referring to all mythological/fantasy strong men as Herculeses. For example, Gilgamesh is a Hercules. Conan is a Hercules. The Doom Slayer is a Hercules.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Because what kind of uncultured swine wouldn't know Pegasus isn't simply one of the Pterippus species?

A widely written about and broadly known MYTHOLOGICAL SPECIES OF FLYING HORSE!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Next you'll be telling me Medusa is a specific snake-haired lady who turned people to stone and not an entire category of snake-haired ladies. :jerkbag:

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Jun 14, 2020

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

*gestures to flock of winged horses*

look at all those pegasuses!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Debunk This! posted:

*gestures to flock of winged horses*

look at all those pegasuses!

It's actually Pegapodes.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Haifisch posted:

Next you'll be telling me Medusa is a specific snake-haired lady who turned people to stone and not an entire category of snake-haired ladies. :jerkbag:

She was also not always a villain to the greeks, her symbol was used to mark women's shelters as a protective thing.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
New pet peeve is people who post some fact or insight on twitter followed by 'just sit for a minute. Just let that sink in.'

no, gently caress you! I immediately think a lot less of whatever the content of the tweet was due to this smug, patronising bullshit.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
“Say it again for the people in the back” annoys the hell outta me too.

I hate when people call the virus COVID. That’s the disease caused by SARS-CoV-2, it’s not the loving virus. COVID stands for COronaVIrus Disease for poo poo’s sake! The disease part is in the acronym!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh, I misunderstood it. Due to the number I thought it was the WHO classification for it, COrona Virus ID 19

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“Say it again for the people in the back” annoys the hell outta me too.

When you're at a concert and the band is like

"Come on, cheer!"
"I can't hear you!"
*clap clap*

Play some good music then maybe I'll yell, okay?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

Oh, I misunderstood it. Due to the number I thought it was the WHO classification for it, COrona Virus ID 19

Nah, 19 is for the year it was discovered.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
My pet peeve is all that name stuff. My work involves talking to many of the docs and public health experts who are working on covid treatments and vaccines for medical collaborations. While yes, you are technically accurate that the virus is SARS-CoV-2 and the disease is COVID-19, most people don’t care and COVID-19 is way easier to say for everything COVID related. It’s not as if we’re talking about some other current age global pandemic-causing coronavirus

To put this in perspective, I just hate it when I get corrected by someone who isn’t neck-deep in this poo poo all day every day. I have family members and a few MD friends who don’t work on COVID but see fit to correct me about virus versus disease when it comes up in discussion and that is my pet peeve. You think I don’t know?! I just don’t wanna spend the extra second saying the proper term when I have to use it four times a minute for eight hours straight! :fuckoff:

sephiRoth IRA has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Jun 15, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

sephiRoth IRA posted:

My pet peeve is all that name stuff. My work involves talking to many of the docs and public health experts who are working on covid treatments and vaccines for medical collaborations. While yes, you are technically accurate that the virus is SARS-CoV-2 and the disease is COVID-19, most people don’t care and COVID-19 is way easier to say for everything COVID related. It’s not as if we’re talking about some other current age global pandemic-causing coronavirus

To put this in perspective, I just hate it when I get corrected by someone who isn’t neck-deep in this poo poo all day every day. I have family members and a few MD friends who don’t work on COVID but see fit to correct me about virus versus disease when it comes up in discussion and that is my pet peeve. You think I don’t know?! I just don’t wanna spend the extra second saying the proper term when I have to use it four times a minute for eight hours straight! :fuckoff:

I am indeed neck-deep in this poo poo constantly, I did pandemic response for a construction company and am currently volunteering as an EMT full time while I wait for construction to start up again.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

When you're at a concert and the band is like

"Come on, cheer!"
"I can't hear you!"
*clap clap*

Play some good music then maybe I'll yell, okay?

"I didn't pay for *you* to hear *me*."

(I've never actually said this, but I sure have thought it at concerts that I'm not enjoying)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just call it "The Rona".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mymymymy myyyyy Corona!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

youtube videos that are edited so that theres a quick cut after virtually every sentence, it's done to create a streamlined monologue with no pauses but it sounds weird and hyperactive and i don't like it

when you read something online that's meant for a general audience but they use terms that only apply to americans, like "five times the size of the state of north dakota!" or "three football fields" or "in the country" or "nationwide" etc

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

when you read something online that's meant for a general audience but they use terms that only apply to americans, like "five times the size of the state of north dakota!" or "three football fields" or "in the country" or "nationwide" etc
That stuff's annoying even when it's not country-specific. Like, "enough to fill three Olympic swimming pools" is basically meaningless to me. I still have to look it up to find out that that's 7.5 megalitres.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

LPers yelling.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

youtube videos that are edited so that theres a quick cut after virtually every sentence, it's done to create a streamlined monologue with no pauses but it sounds weird and hyperactive and i don't like it

Agreed. I don't mind trimming out some longer or more awkward pauses or more irritating filler words, but please leave some resting spaces, some strategic ums and ers, and at least a bit of human rhythm so I'm not exhausted.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Middle aged burnouts who have to constantly tell you how they don't "get" twitch and/or youtube videos.

Especially when they constantly compare to them screenshot LPs or blogs respectively. They are not replacements for those things, they are replacements for white noise TV. And twitch is just as good for the chat as for the actual streamers, you just have to find good communities instead of joining some stream with 3000 tweens spamming chat. Saying twitch chat just always sucks is like saying IRC or forums suck.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Forums definitely suck

why would anyone use a forum

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

IRC sucks but for other reasons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate decided that rather than only vacuuming up the bag of chips she made explode, she should then continue to vacuum for 45 minutes with the hand vac, leaving it running as she moves from place to place.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Agreed. I don't mind trimming out some longer or more awkward pauses or more irritating filler words, but please leave some resting spaces, some strategic ums and ers, and at least a bit of human rhythm so I'm not exhausted.

Reminds me of Far Cry 2 and how all the mission briefing dialogs were edited into one single unbroken run on sentence which just kept going and going while they explained how it was vital that you blow up this mine or that pipeline and by the way even though you're working for us now we haven't bothered telling any of our soldiers so they'll just keep attacking you on sight but we don't mind if you kill them anyway now off you go and watch out for the Jackal OK?

Bizarre choice by Ubisoft there.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate when clothing brands are inconsistent with including size charts in their product descriptions or don’t have them at all. This seems to happen more frequently with smaller brands which is even more annoying when their return policies aren’t great so instead i have to email them about sizing for each piece i guess?? If there were garment measurements even it’d help a little but i lost 30 pounds and there isn’t anything that fits well enough for me to measure against

Obviously the solution is to buy from places that do have size charts but i can’t find anything i like enough to buy and looking for new things is weirdly overwheming and exhausting :saddowns:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That people have decided the answer to any question has to begin with “So”.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That people have decided the answer to any question has to begin with “So”.

So annoying.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
A catalog of the bicycle infrastructure in your American city:

The quarter inch of pavement laid down over bare dirt in 1986 and not maintained since (except when someone was kind enough to mark the tree roots with red paint).
The totally sweet downhill with a posted speed limit of 7 MPH.
The two-way cycle track that forces you to switch sides of the road three times in less than a mile.
The unprotected bike lane on the side of a six-lane highway.
The beautiful multi-use path that unceremoniously dumps you out on a random sidewalk half a mile from any other piece of infrastructure.
"Let's put a bunch of random curves on this trail so that nobody can go too fast, OK?"
The pleasant trail through farm country with a stop sign at every single intersection, including driveways that clearly haven't been used for decades.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

HOLY gently caress posted:

Obviously the solution is to buy from places that do have size charts but i can’t find anything i like enough to buy and looking for new things is weirdly overwheming and exhausting :saddowns:

My typical experience:
-Find a place with a size chart, find something nice, place order
-Receive item, it looks and fits great
-Order three more of the same item
-End up with four of the same thing that all fit completely differently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

lavaca posted:

A catalog of the bicycle infrastructure in your American city:

The quarter inch of pavement laid down over bare dirt in 1986 and not maintained since (except when someone was kind enough to mark the tree roots with red paint).
The totally sweet downhill with a posted speed limit of 7 MPH.
The two-way cycle track that forces you to switch sides of the road three times in less than a mile.
The unprotected bike lane on the side of a six-lane highway.
The beautiful multi-use path that unceremoniously dumps you out on a random sidewalk half a mile from any other piece of infrastructure.
"Let's put a bunch of random curves on this trail so that nobody can go too fast, OK?"
The pleasant trail through farm country with a stop sign at every single intersection, including driveways that clearly haven't been used for decades.

Some of your issues could be fixed by not following the law so much, unless your area is rife with farm country cops pulling over cyclists.