Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Volmarias posted:

I'll say that Google definitely takes GDPR seriously from everything I've seen internally, so it's not the standard meaningless "we take our customers' privacy very seriously" prattle.

Reminder that the penalty for a GDPR violation can run up to 4% of your global turnover. That's off the top, not net. For Google, that be on the high side on $6 billion. They take it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Volmarias posted:

My heart yearns for outlook's sorting rules, especially the "and then stop checking rules" action. I have a bunch of rules to try to replicate the concept of discrete folders and Gmail sucks for it because you have to tell it a negation for every other possible rule match too. I get why the rules are set up as they are but it's still frustrating.

Yea, a robust rules system and folder system would be the things I'd need to make gmail functional for work. Sludgy performance is really annoying as well, but that's the nature of web apps. Also, I frequently have to completely reload the tab to get new emails to show up.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
How are companies using Gmail and maintaining data (non) retention policies? Most places have silly ideas that all their IP should be deleted after a few months, which seems counter to gmail's entire premise that everyfuckenthing should just be stuffed into a big list and fulltext searched. (Never mind that people have terrible quoting behavior so searching for Johnson's update on FFDU gives the 37 empty quote responses on the thread.)

Has long before everyone moves to infinite labelling with JiraMail? :shepicide:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

How are companies using Gmail and maintaining data (non) retention policies? Most places have silly ideas that all their IP should be deleted after a few months, which seems counter to gmail's entire premise that everyfuckenthing should just be stuffed into a big list and fulltext searched. (Never mind that people have terrible quoting behavior so searching for Johnson's update on FFDU gives the 37 empty quote responses on the thread.)

Has long before everyone moves to infinite labelling with JiraMail? :shepicide:

Look at the previous few posts. Retention policies are supported when you're a paid customer, data is deleted.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I found this governance accomplishment in my village's budget:

quote:

Identified, developed, and deployed a cost-effective alternative to the Department's SharePoint program.

strawberrymousse
Jul 13, 2012

BEHOLD, THE DRAMATIC REVEAL!
My boss's slide into cognitive twilight continues apace.

Me, last year: Now that we changed software I could only find the implemented template for report A. Please identify templates for reports B, C, and D.
*crickets*

Me, earlier this year: Here is report A. Just a reminder, if you would like me to run reports B, C, or D please identify the templates.

Boss: We don't have templates so just keep running report A. I will let you know if this changes.

Me, now: Here is report A.

Boss: You're also running reports B and C, right?

Me: Here is a quote from you confirming we can't do that. Please identify templates if you have them.

Boss: Just use "report D template that was ticketed as broken".

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hoodwinker posted:

I found this governance accomplishment in my village's budget:

Nothing wrong with taking the easy win

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.
half hour zoom meeting to go through a 10 page slide deck

40 minutes in and we're on page 3

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

How many times have there been people asking to go back a slide?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

potee posted:

half hour zoom meeting to go through a 10 page slide deck

40 minutes in and we're on page 3

Are there paragraphs on the slides?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

New CTO apparently has several Agile traits. :rip:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

theHUNGERian posted:

Sounds terminal.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

theHUNGERian posted:

Agile is way better than waterfall for software, fight me in the PM thread.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

theHUNGERian posted:

they into parkour or just like running or yoga?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

taqueso posted:

they into parkour or just like running or yoga?

Skydiving.

:getin:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Today someone led their presentation off with "I'm here today to be with you."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Coco13 posted:

Mods

Please

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Coco13 posted:

You gotta stop attending conference calls set up by the Tautology team.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Coco13 posted:

Volmarias posted:

Mods

Please

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CarForumPoster posted:

Agile is way better

And just like that, you're wrong.*

*Source: I am a certified scrum master.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sydin posted:

And just like that, you're wrong.*

*Source: I am a certified scrum master.

Please don't involve others in your kinks.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Trabant posted:

You gotta stop attending conference calls set up by the Tautology team.

Why do you get to chair the Tautology Commit--wait, I can guess.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Coco13 posted:

I'm here today to be with you. Unfortunately, "you" is only two-thirds of you as of close of business today.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I was unable to remotely connect so I called our service desk. I thought the issue might be my tower was turned off, and service desk's initial suggestion was I drive for an hour to check myself, rather than they see if anyone on their team is in today as we share a building. Emailing coworker who happened to be there today to turn it on fixed the problem in seconds.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I just had my work anniversary. Am I supposed to do anything about all the people congratulating me on LinkedIn?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tibalt posted:

I just had my work anniversary. Am I supposed to do anything about all the people congratulating me on LinkedIn?

No, they're just reflex-clicking on a notification.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Tibalt posted:

Reply with

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

If it's at least three years, start looking for a higher salary.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I was unable to remotely connect so I called our service desk. I thought the issue might be my tower was turned off, and service desk's initial suggestion was I drive for an hour to check myself, rather than they see if anyone on their team is in today as we share a building. Emailing coworker who happened to be there today to turn it on fixed the problem in seconds.

I went in Friday for that very same reason. I had to get pills at 110 though so all was good. You in b7?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Meydey posted:

I went in Friday for that very same reason. I had to get pills at 110 though so all was good. You in b7?

Yeah, turns out the solution was waking the computer from sleep mode I guess? I dunno why that was necessary as it's been sitting there untouched for months but it was a super quick fix. I just had to ask around to see who was in the building today and they helped me out.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

We have over 200 slack channels for our department which are desperately needing a clean up, and still today someone thought it was a good idea to separate a single project into nine separate channels but keep all of the same people in all of them. And then provide an enormous comms matrix document specifying what each channel can and can't be used for.

It's agile

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Clearly the best course of action is to create a new Slack channel dedicated to clarifying the proper Slack channel for any particular topic. Of course, this doesn't supersede the document, whicn should obviously be placed under change control with any proposed revisions being discussed in the proper Slack channel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Just shut the gently caress up! I didn't ask to be moved to this cube, and I certainly don't want to hear you yammering all day.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Jumpsuit posted:

We have over 200 slack channels for our department which are desperately needing a clean up, and still today someone thought it was a good idea to separate a single project into nine separate channels but keep all of the same people in all of them. And then provide an enormous comms matrix document specifying what each channel can and can't be used for.

It's agile

This post is triggering.

There's nothing I love more than having to navigate a seldom used process with an extremely convoluted set of rules and little to no documentation. Especially when the people running it get snippy about anything being out of order.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

gwarm01 posted:

This post is triggering.

There's nothing I love more than having to navigate a seldom used process with an extremely convoluted set of rules and little to no documentation. Especially when the people running it get snippy about anything being out of order.

Lmao sounds exactly like our purchasing flow

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Our office just announced that our "phase 1" return to work won't be until September, but that's largely irrelevant for me because my clients likely won't be opening until even later than that. Maybe things get back to normal in like... 2022?

Turns out I really like working from home. Didn't think I would, but I was wrong.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Boss: "Use this Powerpoint to illustrate your tagging strategy document that nobody will actually read"
Boss: "Why didn't you update the Powerpoint?"
Boss: "This is good but these should line up"

And so here I am, moving text boxes so that 6 points worth of space is uniform from top down on a loving Powerpoint presentation.

I feel like I need to wash my hands after this.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MJP posted:

Boss: "Use this Powerpoint to illustrate your tagging strategy document that nobody will actually read"

And so here I am, moving text boxes so that 6 points worth of space is uniform from top down on a loving Powerpoint presentation.

PPTs that don't line up from slide to slide look like trash and your boss is right.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MJP posted:

try not making a lovely deck in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

try not making a lovely deck in the first place

The boss made the deck, I just drew arrows from his text boxes to icons below them

Jordan7hm posted:

PPTs that don't line up from slide to slide look like trash and your boss is right.

Furthering the above, he's the one who put the things where they are.

Bonus round, he just IMed me to tell me he was going to cc me on an email to our VP that I was not to respond to, no matter what.

Is this normal corporate office politics or is my boss practicing for his KGB side gig?

Edit: the VP blasted the boss with both barrels for daring to imply that we were looking into a way to automate not only Thing VP Wanted but entire swaths of Azure, right into our existing ServiceNow implementation.

All righty, then!

MJP fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 16, 2020