Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lemme get that Christian side hug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've been reading about the surge in Florida, then came across this on imgur

So, with grains of salt in hand:

quote:

We, a medium-sized hospital in Florida, had 119 COVID admissions over the last 18 hours. This is approximately 4 times the number of admissions on a typical non-pandemic day. Our ICU is operating at 300+% capacity. It's only going to get busier and more intense which is loving scary.

Of note, last week, I personally wrote more death notes on COVID patients in my medium-ish sized hospital than the number of COVID deaths that were reported in the ENTIRE loving STATE on the John Hopkins dashboard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Which, as anyone who has been to a Rocky Horror midnight show can tell you, is a sex maneuver

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm supposed to go to this extended family birthday party on Friday, and urged my 70 year old parents to wear masks and they told me that they refused to. Not because they refuse to wear masks in general (although I highly doubt they actually do at all because :foxnews:), but to them it's fine because it's "just family" and I should "respect their decision to not wear masks" according to my mom. There's also going to be like 8 children there and it's being hosted by my aunt who has stage 4 lung cancer and has amazingly survived with it for like 3 years now with minimal complications, but i guess she's in the mood to tempt fate or something and no one in my family can take the most basic rear end precautions, because mild inconvenience is just too much after a month of pretending like the pandemic was real.

Can't wait to drive 2 hours on Friday to something I don't want to go to, and be the only rear end in a top hat wearing a mask when I just wanted to hole up and play tlou 2 all day and now I get to worry about my whole family because they are being loving dumb.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I'm supposed to go to this extended family birthday party on Friday, and urged my 70 year old parents to wear masks and they told me that they refused to. Not because they refuse to wear masks in general (although I highly doubt they actually do at all because :foxnews:), but to them it's fine because it's "just family" and I should "respect their decision to not wear masks" according to my mom. There's also going to be like 8 children there and it's being hosted by my aunt who has stage 4 lung cancer and has amazingly survived with it for like 3 years now with minimal complications, but i guess she's in the mood to tempt fate or something and no one in my family can take the most basic rear end precautions, because mild inconvenience is just too much after a month of pretending like the pandemic was real.

Can't wait to drive 2 hours on Friday to something I don't want to go to, and be the only rear end in a top hat wearing a mask when I just wanted to hole up and play tlou 2 all day and now I get to worry about my whole family because they are being loving dumb.

if you have a shred of concern for anyone else invited to this get together I suggest you dont go. it's a global pandemic.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

seriously dont go. there's so many stories about everyone getting ill from family gatherings.

if you don't want to cause drama just lie and say your car broke down in the drive or whatever.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm sure it's fine to go to a family gathering with people who inexplicably refuse to wear masks and then act offended that you even asked them to

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

veni veni veni posted:

Don't go to this. Seriously. You are an adult and don't get guilted into contracting the plague for a loving birthday party. It's very easy for shithead family members to erode your sense of perspective on things through pressure, guilt and whining, but you have to resist it. Don't normalize this insanity and deal with the fallout from it later. Stay inside and play video games.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm starting to hear from people that the pandemic is "basically over" in the rest of the world and only the US is going to suffer from it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's ok guys the virus will shut itself down when we all die

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Uhh, the answer is just stay home and play tlou2. That's what I'm going to be doing

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
VVV, are you planning to go because you don’t want to offend your family?

You may be a saint, but if I went to such a gathering, there’s no way I could come out of it without offending certain people there much more than if I had simply declined the invitation.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm starting to hear from people that the pandemic is "basically over" in the rest of the world and only the US is going to suffer from it.

Well yeah, pretty much. Life is more or less like normal over here right now. Just with the social distancing markers, fewer people on the busses and trams, disinfectant at all store entrances. Almost no masks, though. But tons of people working from home.
Here in Norway there's currently a total of ~20 people in hospital with the 'rona. With <10-20 new cases a day in total.
If you extrapolated those numbers to the US. you'd be at like, ~1200 hospitalized, ~600-1200 new cases a day.

The important thing is really how quickly we can shut stuff down again when the numbers start spiking again. (And to keep the Swedes out until further notice.)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Well, yes... the first wave is behind us now and Europe is starting to open up again. But the distancing and hygiene measures are still in effect so the second wave won't spread as quickly and hopefully things won't have to shut down to quite the same extent. We aren't all suddenly wandering around hugging and kissing strangers on the street.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ThermoPhysical posted:

On the morning news this morning the sports guy said that his wife thinks people consider it "half-time" for COVID.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s incredible that the epidemic is controllable with relatively pedestrian measures, yet America is so spoiled it is unwilling to take them and is instead embracing death.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

VVV - my father in law also wanted to do a "family get-together" this past weekend. My wife and I were going to go when we thought it was 8 people in total hanging around outside.

It turned into "Okay so 50 members of my church are going to be there, and we'll be inside my 3 room house. Oh and my church believes the virus doesn't exist so nobody will wear a mask and will, in fact, get visibly angry at you for wearing a mask."

We told him no, he got pissed, but I'm not going to risk anything like that. It really sucks that saying "I don't want to potentially infect you and everyone you come in contact with" is now a statement akin to "hey im gonna do gay space communism now" with conservative members of the family, but here we are.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

It’s incredible that the epidemic is controllable with relatively pedestrian measures, yet America is so spoiled it is unwilling to take them and is instead embracing death.

They don't know they're embracing death, though. The ones you describe see it as either a hoax, something played up by the MSM to "scare" people, something that's "just like the flu", etc. They see it as nothing different than the current endemic diseases that can be fought with some vitamin C and a hot bath, if they even believe in it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

VVV - my father in law also wanted to do a "family get-together" this past weekend. My wife and I were going to go when we thought it was 8 people in total hanging around outside.

It turned into "Okay so 50 members of my church are going to be there, and we'll be inside my 3 room house. Oh and my church believes the virus doesn't exist so nobody will wear a mask and will, in fact, get visibly angry at you for wearing a mask."

We told him no, he got pissed, but I'm not going to risk anything like that. It really sucks that saying "I don't want to potentially infect you and everyone you come in contact with" is now a statement akin to "hey im gonna do gay space communism now" with conservative members of the family, but here we are.

Half my family is trying to kill my grandparents this Father's day.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Commiserations, US goons. As far as things go here, non-essential places are re-opening again but I reckon two or three weeks and everything will seize up again. Thankfully my employer has no intention of sending people back to the offices yet and even when they do, I'll just go in for one day and WFH the rest of the week. It's encouraging seeing the number of new cases in my borough and nearby boroughs drop to the 0-10 range for the last few weeks but eh. It doesn't take much to kick it all off again so no point taking unnecessary chances.

gently caress getting on the underground or going to the cinema again anytime soon, that's for sure.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

BBC News here in the UK is reporting that dexamethasone has been found to "cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth".

That seems pretty huge news.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

ThermoPhysical posted:

In New Zealand we had no new cases for 24 days and no active cases for the last week or two. Just had a couple of new cases in from overseas but hopefully they haven't spread it to anyone (somebody hosed up and let them out of quarantine early or something but they're isolated again now and apparently didn't come into close contact with anyone) and for the last couple of weeks life has been back to normal with the exception of the closed borders and the economic fallout. But bars are open, gatherings can happen, social distancing is over.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

greazeball posted:

Well, yes... the first wave is behind us now and Europe is starting to open up again. But the distancing and hygiene measures are still in effect so the second wave won't spread as quickly and hopefully things won't have to shut down to quite the same extent. We aren't all suddenly wandering around hugging and kissing strangers on the street.

I should also mention that the SwissCovid app is in testing and people are being encouraged to run it on their phones. It will supposedly detect other app users that are nearer than 5m for more than 15 minutes and then send a notification to those people if someone in your chain tests positive, without saying where or when specifically you came into contact with that person (because it doesn't track location data, just proximity encounters).

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

greazeball posted:

I should also mention that the SwissCovid app is in testing and people are being encouraged to run it on their phones. It will supposedly detect other app users that are nearer than 5m for more than 15 minutes and then send a notification to those people if someone in your chain tests positive, without saying where or when specifically you came into contact with that person (because it doesn't track location data, just proximity encounters).

It sound pretty much the same as Australia's CovidSafe app which was rolled out on April 26 and is still not working properly on iPhones but has been pretty much useless anyway:

quote:

As Gizmodo Australia reported on in recent weeks, the app itself has struggled to justify its relevance with many of Australia’s health authorities simply finding little use for it. Victoria’s health department initially revealed to us it had accessed the data 16 times but were unable to find a single new contact that manual tracers hadn’t already uncovered. A week later, that number had jumped to 21 but it still didn’t provide any new contacts.

It’s since been revealed that NSW health authorities have accessed the app less than a dozen times but have still not uncovered a contact manual tracers couldn’t.

Also a lot of the recent mini-outbreaks in Australia have been in schools and school kids aren't allowed to carry phones with them during the school day so they have to rely on good old fashioned manual contact tracing in those cases anyway (although some schools have changed that specifically because of covid).

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Something said the protests weren’t causing an influx of cases likely because of mask wearing. I’m going to assume the rallies will cause an influx just like memorial day did, and that this will further a conspiracy that the virus is targeting a specific group of voters.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

to describe the outbreaks in southern states i came up with 'the rebel knell'

you're welcome

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been reading about the surge in Florida, then came across this on imgur

So, with grains of salt in hand:

In Mother Russia this lying man would be already flying out a window!

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 16, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

This is classy compared to modern conspiracy photoshops

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Hello again from soon-to-be world virus epicenter FLORIDA!

We've had cases skyrocketing over the past week, new highs every day, no slowdown in sight AND...

...my district just announced plans to have in-person classes starting in mid-August. Masks at school will be optional because every parent deserves the right to play loving political games with their kid's (and teacher's!) life. The grocery store I go to, which saw roughly 100% mask use in mid-April, is now closer to 20%. People are pouring into air-conditioned boxes to eat Applebee's riblets. People aren't social distancing at loving public boat launches.

Everything I see or hear about coronavirus for the past month is out-and-out batshit reality-denying insanity. I'd hoist the black flag and say serves 'em right kill 'em all except that their stupidity might also kill me.

Imagine looking at MATH and going, "Nope, I'll just out-freedom this math poo poo." Like the virus floats up to someone's face and then goes, "Aw, poo poo, he's FREE, guess we gotta look elsewhere boys, why did we ever leave China."

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is Florida a swing state?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Shaocaholica posted:

Depends on how the coronavirus treats the inhabitants of The Villages.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm at the urgent care about to get swabbed

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
make sure to ask for a swab with no 5G on it

good luck goon

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Most of the area is covered by red zones, but the (surprise, surprise) educated cities are blue islands. Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Tallahassee are all blue. North of Miami is boomerland through West Palm Beach and pretty red due to wealthy olds. Not sure about Gainesville (home of UofFlorida) as it's surrounded by wasteland or Jacksonville as it has a large military presence and :lol: now the GOP convention. I believe we are a swing state, yes.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Platystemon posted:

No one but SS will wear masks.

If an individual were inclined to wear a mask, the crowd would rip it off them.

Yeah but the SS guys at Trump rallies usually travel in groups and probably wouldn't let anyone bother a fellow Neo N--

Oh you meant secret service.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://twitter.com/tvbus/status/1271228870935457793?s=21

Dunno if he died of COVID-Nointeeeeen, but...

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Shaocaholica posted:

It’s not a lock for presidential elections, and it’s the third most populous state. The top two (CA and TX) are locks, as are numbers 4 (NY) and 5 (IL).

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s not a lock for presidential elections, and it’s the third most populous state. The top two (CA and TX) are locks, as are numbers 4 (NY) and 5 (IL).
It also has a huge population of old people.

So far this thing has been primarily hitting POCs the hardest, who tend to vote D. Now all these swing states are opening up and the white folks who are much more likely to vote R are stopping social distancing and will be going to rallies, etc. And a lot of his base are relatively old and not at all healthy.

I have no loving idea how this is going to shake out in the election.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Trump's atrocious response to this crisis may turn Florida blue. :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*muffled*

goooooooooool