Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

The beauty of nature.

This little critter hitchhiked in on my rhubarb. Some sort of beetle nymph? (north/central Alberta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This little critter hitchhiked in on my rhubarb. Some sort of beetle nymph? (north/central Alberta).

Beetles don't have nymphs. Looks like a sort of rove beetle to me. They have reduced wing shields.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mak0rz posted:

Beetles don't have nymphs. Looks like a sort of rove beetle to me. They have reduced wing shields.

Right, I meant to look that up before posting. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Looks like one of the paederina, perhaps.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 15, 2020

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Came across a little pollen bro on a walk the other day.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

This handsome moth was stuck inside all night and didn't appreciate being moved in the morning, excreting some yellow stuff. I'm in Southern Maine

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BlancoNino posted:

This handsome moth was stuck inside all night and didn't appreciate being moved in the morning, excreting some yellow stuff. I'm in Southern Maine
That's an Eyed Tiger Moth, I'm pretty sure.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Does anyone know what this is? I'm in central alabama, was just chilling on a wall. I can usually track these down but i can't figure out what it is. It's a moth of some sort, right?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It’s a sphinx moth, maybe a pandorus sphinx but I’m not very familiar with what you get down there

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Does anyone know what this is? I'm in central alabama, was just chilling on a wall. I can usually track these down but i can't figure out what it is. It's a moth of some sort, right?

Pandorus Sphinx Moth, I think.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

the yeti posted:

It’s a sphinx moth, maybe a pandorus sphinx but I’m not very familiar with what you get down there

Yeah, it's a Pandorus for sure. Thanks!

edit: it looks exactly like every image lol, not a lot of variation in these buddies. They're extremely pretty.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm feeling slightly pleased with myself that I think I correctly gendered the pair of scrub jays that I've become buddies with.

The one that has been more gregarious in the past year I had guessed was the female, and she's recognizable because she has a slightly odd-shaped upturned beak. Last year her partner was the more gregarious one, but this year he's been skittish while she has gotten close to taking peanuts from my hand.

The last couple weeks her partner has been around asking for peanuts, and I haven't seen her, which suggests she is incubating eggs and he's on food-gathering duty.

Due to me having a weird propensity to give animals reductive names, I've called the female "Beaky" for a while now, and her partner has been dubbed "Mr. Beaky."

There's a single crow out of the ones in the neighborhood who has caught on about the peanuts and will ask for them, but I haven't given it a name and my relationship with it is different - it's way more standoffish than the jays.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There's a single crow out of the ones in the neighborhood who has caught on about the peanuts and will ask for them, but I haven't given it a name and my relationship with it is different - it's way more standoffish than the jays.

Wonder if this has to do with how intelligent crows are, especially remembering people who are nice or mean to them. Could be he had a bad experience with other people & is a little skittish, but they're super smart & can catch on when someone doesn't mean harm.

Also gives me an excuse to post my favorite article about crows :3:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31604026#:~:text=One%20young%20girl%20in%20Seattle,and%20clicks%20the%20lid%20open.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's reasonable. There used to be this rescue magpie (also a corvid and well-noted for intelligence) living in our neighbourhood that would knock on people's windows and beg for food or to be let into the room when it was particularly cold. It was a cute little thing, I hand-fed it scraps sometimes. Experience matters a lot for birds that clever.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Just keep some peanuts and stuff on you all the time and feed crows in your neighborhood as you see them. You'll gain diplomatic immunity among the crows.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mak0rz posted:

Just keep some peanuts and stuff on you all the time and feed crows in your neighborhood as you see them. You'll gain diplomatic immunity among the crows.

I read about a guy who bought a car from someone who did this and he had a mob of crows following him around everywhere he went.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

:kimchi:

i will never cease to get excited as gently caress when i see a beaver

:downsrim:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I read about a guy who bought a car from someone who did this and he had a mob of crows following him around everywhere he went.
That is hilariously believable. Crows are absolutely smart enough to figure out who owns a particular car, but they're not necessarily smart enough to realize that the car is now owned by a different person when it gets sold. Well, not for a few weeks at least.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I just moved from -10 all the way on up high to the mountains at +220 ft elevation and I'll tell you what I am loving this fresh mountain air. ok it is not exactly mountains but I am 15 minutes from the louisiana mississippi and it's about as hilly as it gets in this area.

going from a tiny apartment to a big field within which one can roll around naked in the mud high on whichever substance one chooses has been a galvanizing moment in my pathetic life and I have been taking almost every minute to reconnect with nature. it is currently 69° and I am on safari. if I dont get murdered by hornets you can expect some pictures of critters all shapes and sizes soon

I love these threads and I'm excited to finally have some content, thanks for the inspiration critter enthusiasts :)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scrub jays best jays.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nice.

(But really that’s great, go looking for stuff and :justpost:)

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

the yeti posted:

Nice.

(But really that’s great, go looking for stuff and :justpost:)

I got video too! There was a little ground wasp murdering a worm, and I just smashed an old board and found a termite highway. Everyone I've asked so far claims they have never seen my slipper, but I'm not sure I trust every joe, charlie, and daphne around here... I have to remember I'm on their turf now.

Edit; let me be clear. the jumping spiders have been nothing but cooperative in my investigation of the stolen slipper. their names remain clean. I even found a gigantic jumping spider about the size of a nickel, his name was Thad and he told me about the best restraints to eat out here. real stand up dude, absolutely one of the best.

flubber nuts fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 18, 2020

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I would pay extra for a corvid posse to roll with

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

hello night people, I have a post to make about bugs and lizards. theres a frog too. TEASER ALERT

these are termites. they are very busy, please do not disturb them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tN2m7nBWns

this supreme beast was found in-between some old boards and the sheet metal siding of the shed I was breaking my poor weak back to patch up. but enough about me. he was caught red handed, having raided some sort of food stash. I know this because he was very sluggish and easy to catch. i dont think he liked being held because he bit the poo poo out of my glove. thats ok though. that's why i wear gloves. all is forgiven. bless you beast.

this little guy was fast and mean. just like me. I respect that. who is he murdering? we will never know. he had a family....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXG9r8PFBc

ok im gonna resize the other ones now, ill be back later. bye and thank you for viewing my images. its good to be questing again.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

ok here we go. today I cleared out an old rear end sheet metal shed. some of this rusted bullshit has been here for 100 years and that's neat. im pretty sure the neighbors dog stole my slipper, but ive never even seen the neighbor dogs. I did not find my missing slipper in the shed. what I found instead where critters of various shapes and sizes in various stages of life.

I thought these were the carpenter bees that are everywhere out here, but when they land they just look like horse flies?

this is one of the biggest jumping spiders ive ever had the pleasure to meet. he was about the size of a nickel?

just an absolute treat

this dude didn't give too many fucks.

almost didn't see this one, very blending in. the shed was full of these. frogs own.

I believe this to be a pupae. or cocoon. is that the same thing? I will not google it.

heres another angle showing the two little suspension wires holding this contraption in place. nice. I am 99% sure this is not a stick.

heres our friend the micro murder hornet again. I think its the same one.

oh gently caress hes coming right for me

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Very nice post, thank you for sharing your critters. I hope you find your slipper someday.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I believe this to be a pupae. or cocoon. is that the same thing? I will not google it.
Cocoons are made of silk, it's what the pupa of some species resides in.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Cocoons are made of silk, it's what the pupa of some species resides in.

Nice. Thanks for clearing that up. I clearly have much to learn. I've been checking on that guy every day, excited to see what pops out of there.

Is there an app that will identify species from user pics yet?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

I tried running it through Google Lens, which is often pretty good at that kind of thing, but it could only tell me that "yup, that sure is a pupa alright!" Thank you Google, you really are the best.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Yeah, in short:
  • Pupa: The semi-dormant life stage some insects go through as they transition from larva to adult.
  • Cocoon: A pupa encased in silk. Common in moths.
  • Crystalis: A shiny metallic pupa. Common in butterflies.

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

Check out iNaturalist (despite the name it is available on Android too). It's scary how accurate it is sometimes. At worst it ballparks your photo and a local expert will narrow it down. Citizen science! :science:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 20, 2020

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

okay all you obviously informed and intelligent people, how do you know it's not a stick?

I can't wait to be able to just point any old bug out and know them by name. Nature freaking owns

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

okay all you obviously informed and intelligent people, how do you know it's not a stick?

Touch it and see what happens!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Squish it a little. Not too hard, mind, or you get liquid bug all over your fingers. If it has a little bit of give, you know it's not a stick.

But really, that isn't a stick. Sticks don't usually come conspicuously glued to a wall with two strings of silk.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Touch it and see what happens!

I wouldn't want to hurt it! I was thinking about trying to throw him in some sort of terrarium because he seems so exposed there, but I guess they have made it this far. I'm rooting for the little fellow. Im hoping I can get a shot of it breaking free from cocoon jail.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They're more resilient than you'd expect, really. Carefully removing it from the wall and putting it in a terrarium won't hurt it any, I've done it before. You just have to be very careful, maybe use something flat and thin to lever its bottom part from the wall instead of pulling, something like the tip of a spatula. As long as you don't puncture it, it should be fine. They're somewhat sensitive to changes in temperature, though, so try to find a place to put it that mimics outdoor conditions reasonably well. You don't want to get boiled bug soup.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah, in short:
  • Pupa: The semi-dormant life stage some insects go through as they transition from larva to adult.
  • Cocoon: A pupa encased in silk. Common in moths.
  • Crystalis: A shiny metallic pupa. Common in butterflies.

Crystalis is an action role-playing action-adventure video game produced by SNK in 1990 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. A chrysalis is the same thing as a pupa.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Functionally the same, anyway. They're very distinct-looking and often have a metallic sheen, which is where the name comes from. Chrysalis comes from the Greek word for 'gold', chrysos.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I feel like I have to soften my approach. I've got to be scaring the hell out of the little jumping spiders trying to get them to hop on my glove, and I tried to catch a Luna moth a few nights ago and messed up its freaking wing :cry:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

McGavin posted:

Crystalis is an action role-playing action-adventure video game produced by SNK in 1990 for the Nintendo Entertainment System. A chrysalis is the same thing as a pupa.

Lmao I even looked this up to make sure I was spelling the word correctly and I still blew it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I'm fairly sure that 'looks like a pokemon and hangs by two threads' look is telltale for swallowtail butterflies but which one probably depends on your geographical area. Bugguide.net is also a great resource specifically for invertebrates as it can (once you make an account) give you data by state and potentially by county.