Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

Does anyone else have their Personal Results turn off by itself for seemingly no reason? For the past couple months I've noticed I need to switch it back on for the Android Auto Assistant to be even remotely useful.

I've submitted feedback but lol

Edit: I have a Pixel 3XL, Google Fi

Where is this screen? I know of at least two other personal results settings pages, neither of which look like your example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

PageMaster posted:

Does oneplus get rid of older phone lines or is there a good method to get "older" phone models? I'm looking at the 7t pro potentially, but the page is now down on their website (guessing with the 8 release) and the only models on amazon explicitly state no warranty. Figured the 8 release would be a good time to maybe get a discounted 7t pro but it looks like it may just be completely discontinued?

Ordered mine from there just a few days ago. Just checked and it's still up, but unavailable, as is the regular 7T. Guess they cleared out all their stock...?

Artelier posted:

I've got a OnePlus 6 that I'm very happy with, but it's two years old and the battery is starting to show its age. What's the general wisdom, is it "order a battery online, replace it yourself" and if yes, is it a difficult/risky process?

Risky as in catching fire? Shouldn't be a problem, as the battery on your phone is easier to remove than most (it even has a tab!). You're more likely to crack the back glass while opening up the phone.

If you're going to do this (you should, it's fine), order from a reputable store like ifixit. And you can use their teardown as a guide.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Took this photo in almost complete darkness the other day with my s20 ultra.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
The only thing making me leery of the 4a vs a 5 is the 4a lacks active edge, I like squeezing my phone for assistant, I just learned you can silence calls alarms and timers with it too.
Granted there is a new assistant gesture to replace it somewhat.

I've had several pixels rma and break one me, mostly they'd just quit charging no matter what, it was beyond pocket lint.

I have GoogleFI (goon) family plan for cell and can recommend it, another group should start one I found it in SAmart.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FistEnergy posted:

The mockery is partially because this screws over people waiting for the release with old/broken phones, and partially because the longer Google waits the older the silicon gets and the worse the price/performance will look compared to the competition at the eventual date of release.

The economic uncertainty make it a great time to delay a flagship phone, but a great time to *release* a budget option with marketing based around the price and value.

I took a look at the Pixel reddit and this is a common theme. A lot of people with older Pixels that aren't going to be able to limp along to October and now looking for another budget phone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

OhFunny posted:

I took a look at the Pixel reddit and this is a common theme. A lot of people with older Pixels that aren't going to be able to limp along to October and now looking for another budget phone.

Not just budget phones. My Pixel 3 is at the 1.5 year point where the battery life is taking an obvious hit. I was planning on an October Pixel 5, but that's up in the air regardless of date now. Not sure what the point of staying on Fi would be if I leave Pixel.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there a way to check and see if your phone has ever been used? I've ordered two brand-new pixels from Amazon, both shipped and sold from amazon.com, and both have arrived in boxes that are slightly dirty. The latest one even had a little bit of grass on the inside of the box.

The phone seemed totally fine and new and untouched but just want to make sure. I'm sure the box in the warehouse it probably gets a little dinged up... A piece of grass on the inside had me a little worried though.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

OhFunny posted:

Still though, if your calculus for a new budget phone led you to the Pixel 'a' line in the first place, the absence of the 4a doesn't change a heck of a whole lot.

I mean, buying Moto G7 or G7 power instead of the 3a if the 4a isn't available is kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face. The 3a, a year in, is still going to have a longer update period than the G7 and you can be sure the camera is better. G8 power? Still performs worse than the 3a due to lesser SoC and is still up poo poo creek with updates.

I guess the A51 remains an option if you can tolerate Samsung and don't mind a bigger phone. But again, I can't image the decision tree that preferred the 4a over the A51 if the A51 would be preferred over the 3a.

I guess the Nokia 7.2 remains an option, but it has a lesser SoC than the 3a and the camera isn't as good. There's really not a ton on the horizon between now and the end of the year that will upset these choices and since the flagships are so expensive now, it's not like they are going to get discounted that far. Let's face it, there's not a ton of options in the $300-$400 range and there's not really a better alternative to the 3a if the 4a isn't available.

So, yes, I get the frustration of people wanting to buy the newest when it's just right there waiting to be released. Just understand from Google's perspective they gain little in releasing the phone right now. They have inventory of the 3a and can run with promotional discounts. The 4a is either going to be more expensive than the 3a after discount (and more expensive = bad right now) or the same price which depresses the price of the remaining 3a inventory.

So yeah, the blogs are having a field day complaining about this. But really this doesn't change a whole hell of a lot. The 4a is just as competitive in October as it is right now because it sits in a space apart when it comes to Android budget devices. No one else is giving the camera and update experience at that price (and the update experience isn't a thing that gets worse with this releasing a few months later.)

As for needing a phone right now, I don't really see what choice there is other than the 3a compared to what else it out there at the price.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 15, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

seravid posted:

Risky as in catching fire? Shouldn't be a problem, as the battery on your phone is easier to remove than most (it even has a tab!). You're more likely to crack the back glass while opening up the phone.

If you're going to do this (you should, it's fine), order from a reputable store like ifixit. And you can use their teardown as a guide.

Thanks! Not sure what the reliable option in Malaysia looks like but I'll poke around. Having said that, I watched a video and immediately was like "I need a heat gun...?"

Maybe I can just pay for the service. Or see what the budget Pixel looks like whenever it comes out.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I have baby wrists but I want an android watch. It doesn't need to do much, honestly just read twitch chats and things like that. Is there a good, small, budget android watch that is well regarded? I've never delved into the smartwatch world before so I have no real basis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

40mm Galaxy Watch Active 2.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Artelier posted:

Thanks! Not sure what the reliable option in Malaysia looks like but I'll poke around. Having said that, I watched a video and immediately was like "I need a heat gun...?"

Maybe I can just pay for the service. Or see what the budget Pixel looks like whenever it comes out.

You don't need a heat gun, just a way to heat up the phone a bit to weaken the adhesive. I usually use a hairdryer.
Depending on the price you should order a replacement back too. I repaired a lot of phones by now but I would'nt feel confident that I can take of a glass back without braking it.
It's really not *that* hard on your phone.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

bull3964 posted:

40mm Galaxy Watch Active 2.

My understanding is it isn't google wear os? So does the samsung store have a twitch app?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

No, but neither does WearOS to my knowledge. What are you trying to do with a watch and Twitch?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bull3964 posted:

No, but neither does WearOS to my knowledge. What are you trying to do with a watch and Twitch?

Read chat while I stream mobile from my pixel.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think there's a way to do that on any Android compatible watch out there.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bull3964 posted:

I don't think there's a way to do that on any Android compatible watch out there.

Can I not just browse the web on the active 2?

Because if I can do that I can just browse to teh twitch chat url

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jun 16, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Skyarb posted:

Can I not just browse the web on the active 2?

no

edit: I mean you could but it would be unimaginably awful. Twitch chat I can't imagine would work on that.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Buff Hardback posted:

no

edit: I mean you could but it would be unimaginably awful. Twitch chat I can't imagine would work on that.

Can I do that on any wear os?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Reading Twitch chat isn't really a use case for a smartwatch and I honestly have never heard of that before. It's not possible to my knowledge on either Wear OS or Tizen.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
You would probably have a much better time by getting an older smaller android phone and strapping it to your arm if reading and responding to twitch chat is your usecase.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Shai-Hulud posted:

You would probably have a much better time by getting an older smaller android phone and strapping it to your arm if reading and responding to twitch chat is your usecase.

Whats like the smallest android device that could do this?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Probably something from the Nokia 2 or 3 range. 3.1 or 2.2.
Anything smaller and you'd probably have to look at used older phones and those are usually slow as hell and no longer get any sort of updates.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://palm.com/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
my old phone, a OnePlus A3000, and at least one more Samsung smartphone older than that whose name escapes me, would never be able to use wifi and have its wifi-hotspot turned on at the same time

nowadays I have Redmi Note 8 Pro, and this one can have the wifi and the hotspot turned on at the same time

is this a thing that actually works, or is the display just fooling me? what could I possibly use this for? I thinking if I'm at a friend's house where my phone connects to their wifi, I can have my laptop connect to my phone's hotspot and it'll use their wifi so I don't have to ask for the password a second time? Or I can use my phone as some kind of very-short-ranged wifi signal extender?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

gradenko_2000 posted:

my old phone, a OnePlus A3000, and at least one more Samsung smartphone older than that whose name escapes me, would never be able to use wifi and have its wifi-hotspot turned on at the same time

nowadays I have Redmi Note 8 Pro, and this one can have the wifi and the hotspot turned on at the same time

is this a thing that actually works, or is the display just fooling me? what could I possibly use this for? I thinking if I'm at a friend's house where my phone connects to their wifi, I can have my laptop connect to my phone's hotspot and it'll use their wifi so I don't have to ask for the password a second time? Or I can use my phone as some kind of very-short-ranged wifi signal extender?

every wifi phone should theoretically be able to do it, but lots of them you have to root the phone to make it work or download a 3rd party app. dont really know why
https://www.guidingtech.com/android-wifi-repeater/

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

I forgot all about the PLAM.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
got my moto g power from google fi already, setting it up and going to switch it over to verizon shortly. one question - what's a good case seller? amazon is full of noname companies all selling similar looking cases, does it matter at all? the only reason I ask is my last case had the kickstand fail on both of the cases (they were like $7 each). i dont need a screen protector, just a case for when i drop it a million times and the kickstand is a great feature that breaks instantly

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anyone else now unable to 'hide this story' in the Google news feed or is it an A/B thing?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

Anyone else now unable to 'hide this story' in the Google news feed or is it an A/B thing?
Still there for me, 3a fully updated.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

got my moto g power from google fi already, setting it up and going to switch it over to verizon shortly. one question - what's a good case seller? amazon is full of noname companies all selling similar looking cases, does it matter at all? the only reason I ask is my last case had the kickstand fail on both of the cases (they were like $7 each). i dont need a screen protector, just a case for when i drop it a million times and the kickstand is a great feature that breaks instantly

Any random tpu or hard plastic case should be fine, no reason to pay a premium. Anything in the $10-15ish range for a basic no frills slim case.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Still there for me, 3a fully updated.

google :argh:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mastershakeman posted:

Got mine from Fi today too! For a case I just got this since all I care about is something that offers actual grip - though protecting the back and edges is good too.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
So what is up with voicemail/visual voicemail and Android?

Apparently most carriers discontinued their proprietary VVM apps last year because of specific Android function and they all just say "use Android's native Visual Voicemail app."

But... I can't seem to get that to work at all.

I'm on a Pixel 3a on Xfinity Mobile and have tried a Moto G5 Plus and E4 as well to see and same results. My wife is on a Pixel 3a on Cricket. Same poo poo.

Neither of us get any notifications of a new VM and going to the dialer and looking at VM just perpetually says "Visual Voicemail isn't working... call voicemail to set it up."

Googling shows that Voicemail in general on Android since last year is just a total broken clusterfuck.

edit: It will work if I just manually call in. And I'm ok not getting VVM in the long run but I would love to actually get a notification of a new regular VM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BonoMan posted:

So what is up with voicemail/visual voicemail and Android?

Apparently most carriers discontinued their proprietary VVM apps last year because of specific Android function and they all just say "use Android's native Visual Voicemail app."

But... I can't seem to get that to work at all.

I'm on a Pixel 3a on Xfinity Mobile and have tried a Moto G5 Plus and E4 as well to see and same results. My wife is on a Pixel 3a on Cricket. Same poo poo.

Neither of us get any notifications of a new VM and going to the dialer and looking at VM just perpetually says "Visual Voicemail isn't working... call voicemail to set it up."

Googling shows that Voicemail in general on Android since last year is just a total broken clusterfuck.

edit: It will work if I just manually call in. And I'm ok not getting VVM in the long run but I would love to actually get a notification of a new regular VM.

Why not use Google Voice to take over your voicemail?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Why not use Google Voice to take over your voicemail?

This tight here is definitely the way to do it. Been using Google voice for 4 years now with no problems. It'll also let you check your voicemail from any computer, too.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Am I understanding Google One's pricing structure or missing something obvious? It looks like 10 dollars a month for 2 TB storage, but then 100 dollars a month for 10 TB? Why would it be 10 times the price for 5 times the storage? I just moved on from the pixel line so I lost my free photo storage and need to look at the best way to get those backed up.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

PageMaster posted:

Am I understanding Google One's pricing structure or missing something obvious? It looks like 10 dollars a month for 2 TB storage, but then 100 dollars a month for 10 TB? Why would it be 10 times the price for 5 times the storage? I just moved on from the pixel line so I lost my free photo storage and need to look at the best way to get those backed up.

I'd bet the shortest answer is that they want people to use up to 2TB of storage and not more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I used to use Google Voice as voicemail, but it always seemed buggy and ended up not giving notification.

My Pixels work with T-Mobile natively for VVM. Unfortunately, unlocked OnePlus devices aren't whitelisted to use VVM with T-Mobile so it won't active on my OP8P (or my OP7P).

My Visual Voicemail from "Virtual Network Apps" on the play store is the generic shell that most providers use for their voicemail systems (you can see it's virtually the same as T-Mobile's app, T-Mobile just reskinned it.) So, if you are having trouble finding an app for your provider, that may be the thing to try.

Personally, I don't really care a hell of a whole lot and am fine with dialing in for the 3 voicemails I get per year. Plus, T-Mobile texts the transcript of your VM when you get one anyways so I usually only dial in to delete messages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
No idea on their pricing strategy, but my assumption is that the tiers above 2TB are mostly made available for edge cases that are willing to pay whatever.

You can still get unlimited free High Quality storage in Photos no matter what phone you're using (in fact even the Pixels after the 3/3XL lost the unlimited original quality storage perk), and honestly its pretty much good enough quality for most snapshots coming out of a phone that will mostly be shared digitally. If you have a more pro need for cloud storage/backup of DSLR photos or something you would probably be better off getting set up with Backblaze or a similar service for ~$6-10 a month.