Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

As a Karling I sent a son off to form a mercenary company, but it didn't seem to have any benefit. Do I get anything if no one hires the mercs? Do I get a discount if I use that mercenary band myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Do we have a sense if CK3 will incentivize landing your heir/children?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
In general landed characters acquire skills and also contribute to your dynasty perks. IIRC if an older person inherits land they gain some skills but not as many as if they'd been landed all along.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

As a Karling I sent a son off to form a mercenary company, but it didn't seem to have any benefit. Do I get anything if no one hires the mercs? Do I get a discount if I use that mercenary band myself?

Forming a merc band is a trap option. You have to keep sending them money for them to afford more troops and you get very little benefit from it. The one exception is if you're a horde since it's a way to get prestige for your desired heir.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Chaotic Flame posted:

Do we have a sense if CK3 will incentivize landing your heir/children?

Only landed characters get lifestyle exp for skill points. Older characters will get a lump sum of skill choices if they get landed late in life, but I think they've said that they're tuning is so that someone landed immediately from adulthood will always have more total skills than someone the same age who was just landed.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Various Meat Products posted:

Forming a merc band is a trap option. You have to keep sending them money for them to afford more troops and you get very little benefit from it. The one exception is if you're a horde since it's a way to get prestige for your desired heir.

The main benefit is that, sooner or later, they will make some demands for expansion that make no sense and can't/shouldn't be met, at which point they invariably disband and make your money go poof, or just invade your capital.

This might be a slightly unorthodox usage of “benefit” but there you go.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Also instead of landed heirs becoming totally uncontrollable while they run off to matrilineally marry their imbecile niece to crank out garbage children with the wrong dynasty name, I think CK3 offers you a little more control with the house system, although I'm not sure what happens if the AI becomes the house head over you.

I'm still really interested in the kind of dynamics cadet branches can make.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

In addition to skills, I would say Dynastic Legacies offering concrete bonuses is a major incentive to accumulate "dynastic prestige", which was pretty much just an end-of-game "scoring" system in CK2. If you have several kingdoms controlled by your dynasty you should be building up your Legacy bonuses much more quickly than if it's just you and your collection of unlanded heirs.

There's also the clan government, which is supposed to be similar to Iqta but hopefully more successfully pushing the idea of giving power to your dynasty. We don't have a lot of information on that just yet, but it is my hope however that tribals will be able to adopt a clan government even if they are not Muslim (if not... well, it's probably something that can be modded, right?).

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 14, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, but you only get Renown from members of your dynasty that aren't vassals under another member of your dynasty. So if you wanted to land your heirs and get dynastic prestige from them, you'd also have to make them independent.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Yeah, but you only get Renown from members of your dynasty that aren't vassals under another member of your dynasty. So if you wanted to land your heirs and get dynastic prestige from them, you'd also have to make them independent.

Right, what was emphasized in the dev diary on the topic was that you wanted to try and put your dynasty in power in far flung lands. Not so you'd have a claim on it, but so that your dynasty would hopefully spread and gain more Renown. It's a worthwhile point to make though that being an emperor with a bunch of dynastic vassal kings won't get you a bunch of renown (unless you're setting them up so they could eventually split off and do their own thing).

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Not a bad start. Charlie and his brother both died to peasant revolts, and most all of that is extort tribute. I was going to build a University in Sweden, but I died while doing a conquest on Venice. I got two Viking Merchant republics under me now, one based around London, the other in Venice. Iceland is a theocracy under the Fylkir and my personal Seer.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 15, 2020

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My experience with making tributary buffer kingdoms with my dynasty on the throne was that I basically always had my retinue on the move, one civil war to the next. Occassionally, I reannexed the kingdom, ripped out all the vassals, replaced them all with my own dynasty and that would buy me about two good reign's worth of peace in that kingdom before it was return to Civil Hell War.

Honestly, if you're looking to put dynastic asses in seats:put a bastard on a foreign throne, forget about him, check back in a century, put another bastard on that throne, wash rinse repeat. I try to put a talented bastard on the throne so that his reign lasts a little while, but when your own emperor is a useless and incredibly long lived dipshit, it's hard to find any good talent in the family. The best run I ever had for a bastard placed on a foreign throne was a century. Motherfucker lived to 97 and then passed the realm off to a literal infant, at which point is was promptly deported back to my own kingdom.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

For the past three generations I have had genius daughters and useless sons.

The one game I decide to not do elective in and the game knows this.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Hellioning posted:

For the past three generations I have had genius daughters and useless sons.

The one game I decide to not do elective in and the game knows this.

That's why they're doing CK3, because 2 is on the verge of sentience.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

It's confusing how I feel like EU4 really needs a sequel by now, but CK2 feels sort of perfect. I know CK2 has its weaknesses but so far I'm not that chuffed for CK3 because it will change things.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's confusing how I feel like EU4 really needs a sequel by now, but CK2 feels sort of perfect. I know CK2 has its weaknesses but so far I'm not that chuffed for CK3 because it will change things.

You could just keep playing ck2, like I plan to do if my 2012 Mac mini can’t handle it.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The Dev Diary on Stress is out. Basically it's about what one could probably expect from it given the information we've had on it so far, but notable is that having a mental break at stress level 3 might result in a character killing their heir.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-31-a-stressful-situation.1399764/

Honestly the stress mechanic seems way more interesting than I expected. None of the examples of mental breaks they showed looked like something I'd try too hard to avoid, they look pretty fun.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Magil Zeal posted:

The Dev Diary on Stress is out. Basically it's about what one could probably expect from it given the information we've had on it so far, but notable is that having a mental break at stress level 3 might result in a character killing their heir.

Imagine being the guy trying to work out the mathematical basis for Ivan the Terrible and his son Ivan.

It looks like someone spilled Rimworld into my Crusader Kings!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You can pet the dog CK3 confirmed 10/10

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
One of my most annoying things was that I always want to play perfectly so all my characters in a game always acted the same way basically being me.

Stress seems like a great way to break me of that and guide my actions to be more role playing.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Zeron posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-31-a-stressful-situation.1399764/

Honestly the stress mechanic seems way more interesting than I expected. None of the examples of mental breaks they showed looked like something I'd try too hard to avoid, they look pretty fun.
I agree, this is better than I expected and maybe I will finally have incentive to make characters with different personalities.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah this Stress system actually seems really cool, I like having a system that will guide me to lean into my characters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Zeron posted:

This seems really cool, it will definitely enhance the roleplaying experience. I especially like that diligent and ambitious now have real drawbacks in addition to their high stat bonuses, and that sadistic conversely gained some more upsides. That probably means that genius, strong, and the other genetic traits will be the only traits with pure upsides.

Also doing a lol at the second reply in the forums thread being from some neckbeard complaining about the lack of historical accuracy because the duchess visited a male brothel.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The important thing is that they confirmed you can, in fact, pet the dog.

CK3 is best game.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

that’s a low blow

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:same:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If you can pet the dog, can you make efforts to buy a pet, instead of just randomly getting one? If the queen of England can get as many corgi's as she wants, I demand the same ability. :colbert:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I wonder if you'll be able to interact much with the stress levels of npcs outside of jailing them. It'd be a laugh to drive your leige round the bend through small annoyances to open up the chane of overthrowing them.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Zeron posted:

Every diary they release shows they've spent some serious time working on the main features. This looks really good and easy to figure out as a player.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I'm working with someone to do a blind (for them) stream series of CK2 and figured I'd ask yall:

What are good newbie starts now, probably for 867? Ireland is of course always available, bug I figure pagans are usually more interesting. Whoever's the Magyar 867 start (with their ridiculous early event doomstack) or any of the larger lords in Scandinavia, and maybe Poland should work, yes? Not sure if there any others we should look at that don't require some of the less necessary DLC packs.

What are the must have and probably ignore DLCs now for doing one playthrough? I've had everything on my own account forever and forget what all's what, but I figure LoR, Old Gods, WoL, Reaper's Due, Conclave, and Holy Fury are the main things to get for their account? Are Monks and Mystics and/or Sons of Abraham worth throwing in assuming there's a decent chance they'll eventually go Christian, and are the rest okay to ignore assuming they don't have a particular interest in a start that requires them?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Zeron posted:

I worry about the potential angle of: Video game coerced me into sexual acts through gaslighting mechanics. You know someone will whip up a hit piece like that. Sex and coercion really shouldn't cross streams, even if its a single text card saying "You saw a boob. +10HP". Not moralizing, just saying that's the kind of thing that will cause hassle and fingerpointing at CK3.

I'm really looking forward to the mechanic though. More than one king or earl has driven me crazy in CK2, this could really flesh out roleplaying it beyond spitting and hissing at my monitor when some earl becomes the bane of my existence. It would be fun to properly drive rivals into spiraling rage.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

wit posted:

I worry about the potential angle of: Video game coerced me into sexual acts through gaslighting mechanics. You know someone will whip up a hit piece like that. Sex and coercion really shouldn't cross streams, even if its a single text card saying "You saw a boob. +10HP". Not moralizing, just saying that's the kind of thing that will cause hassle and fingerpointing at CK3.

I'm really looking forward to the mechanic though. More than one king or earl has driven me crazy in CK2, this could really flesh out roleplaying it beyond spitting and hissing at my monitor when some earl becomes the bane of my existence. It would be fun to properly drive rivals into spiraling rage.

Look you can literally beat whores for money in gta and kill people steal their drugs and do them in fallout so I don’t think this will be the one to finally have the media perk up (more)

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

wit posted:

Kidnapping women and making them your concubine is already something you can actively decide to do in game so that ship has long since sailed in CK.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

wit posted:

Yeah, cause incest simulator 3 is absolutely not going to be able to handle people from the media pointing fingers at it for sexual weirdness.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

I'm working with someone to do a blind (for them) stream series of CK2 and figured I'd ask yall:

What are good newbie starts now, probably for 867? Ireland is of course always available, bug I figure pagans are usually more interesting. Whoever's the Magyar 867 start (with their ridiculous early event doomstack) or any of the larger lords in Scandinavia, and maybe Poland should work, yes? Not sure if there any others we should look at that don't require some of the less necessary DLC packs.

What are the must have and probably ignore DLCs now for doing one playthrough? I've had everything on my own account forever and forget what all's what, but I figure LoR, Old Gods, WoL, Reaper's Due, Conclave, and Holy Fury are the main things to get for their account? Are Monks and Mystics and/or Sons of Abraham worth throwing in assuming there's a decent chance they'll eventually go Christian, and are the rest okay to ignore assuming they don't have a particular interest in a start that requires them?

Yeah, any of the big Scandinavians, Magyars, or Polish pagans should work.

For DLC, Legacy of Rome isn't that critical (the only thing it would get you is retinues and reuniting Rome iirc). M&M adds societies and events for when you're not conquering, so its generally recommended. SoA adds a lot of mechanics to Christianity.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Technowolf posted:

Yeah, any of the big Scandinavians, Magyars, or Polish pagans should work.

For DLC, Legacy of Rome isn't that critical (the only thing it would get you is retinues and reuniting Rome iirc). M&M adds societies and events for when you're not conquering, so its generally recommended. SoA adds a lot of mechanics to Christianity.

'the only thing it would get you is retinues'

I mean yeah but retinues are quite possibly the best thing locked behind DLC and it 's all kinds of bullshit they aren't base game yet.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, I wouldn't play a pagan at this point without retinues. Tribal retinues changed how I play the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

JustaDamnFool posted:

I wonder if you'll be able to interact much with the stress levels of npcs outside of jailing them. It'd be a laugh to drive your leige round the bend through small annoyances to open up the chane of overthrowing them.

that's basically how the antagonize action works right now (you can literally inflict stressed on someone by being a giant rear end in a top hat to them) so i'm sure it's come up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

wit posted:

You can do ethnic cleansing in these games.