Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Paying 2 mana to draw a card at sorcery speed is not a good rate. When the upside is scry 3 and the downside is potentially not drawing a card, it gets worse, not better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I saw that WotC has officially classified the "Timmy" player type as someone who wants big flashy plays, but I'm like 99% sure when I was a dumb kid in 8th grade playing magic we called players "Timmy" because they were doing big dumb stompy decks and we were referencing the mentally-handicapped character from South Park. Was my group the only group where that was the origin/reference of the "Timmy" and we were just especially problematic kids, or are they doing some serious white-washing of the origin of the term?

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

The sorcery version of this was a fine card, this looks incredible for limited.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Reik posted:

I saw that WotC has officially classified the "Timmy" player type as someone who wants big flashy plays, but I'm like 99% sure when I was a dumb kid in 8th grade playing magic we called players "Timmy" because they were doing big dumb stompy decks and we were referencing the mentally-handicapped character from South Park. Was my group the only group where that was the origin/reference of the "Timmy" and we were just especially problematic kids, or are they doing some serious white-washing of the origin of the term?

Timmy/Johnny/Spike have been part of Magic lingo since MaRo wrote his first article on them a billion years ago.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Aranan posted:

Timmy/Johnny/Spike have been part of Magic lingo since MaRo wrote his first article on them a billion years ago.

Do you have a link to the article by chance?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The article where they first published the names is here:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/timmy-johnny-and-spike-2002-03-08

quote:

Timmy

Timmy wasn't the first profile we created, but it was the first profile we named. Timmy’s naming happened by accident during Tempest design. We were talking about whether or not Verdant Force would be popular. I happen to have a flair for the dramatic (if you haven’t caught on yet), so I started one of my little speeches: (Incidentally, I’m not 100% sure why I chose the name "Timmy." I wanted to personify the kid so I gave him a name and Timmy had this innocent little-kid quality to it that must have struck my fancy in the heat of the moment.)

“Imagine a kid goes into a game store. Let’s just call him… 'Timmy.' Now, Timmy doesn’t have a lot of money. So, he buys one pack of Bogavhati (Tempest’s codename). He rips it open and starts tearing through the cards to find the rare. And then he sees it. It’s a big green creature. Seven power. Seven toughness. It’s huge. Huge! He’s eyes keep moving. He glances up at the casting cost: 5GGG, blah, blah, blah. Boring. Move on. Timmy looks at the rules text. There’s a bunch of words. Timmy reads. Every turn Timmy gets another creature. Another entire creature. It’s small, but in ten turns, he’ll have twenty creatures. A 7/7 creature with twenty 1/1s. How does his opponent stop that? It can’t be stopped! Timmy finally exhales. He has found the Holy Grail.”
For some reason, the name Timmy stuck.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Reik posted:

"Timmy" as a player type predates South Park by quite a bit. They came up with it during Tempest's design which would have been 1996 at the latest. The South Park character didn't appear until 2000, from what I Googled.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

"Timmy" as a player type predates South Park by quite a bit. They came up with it during Tempest's design which would have been 1996 at the latest. The South Park character didn't appear until 2000, from what I Googled.

Thanks for the info, it seems like we were just ascribing the player type to the south park character because we were dumb kids that thought south park was the pinnacle of comedy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

"Timmy, Power Gamer" is a 1998 card.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

fadam posted:

I saw some talk by Forsythe gave on a Magic cruise where he basically said that part of the reason why they consider the set a failure is because while the set had all sorts of references and deep cuts to Japanese mythology the average dummy (American) was clueless about all that and was confused the whole set wasn’t just Ninjas and Samurai. Don’t be surprised if Erwin’s racist Naruto plane becomes a reality lol
At the time, people were complaining the set's power felt anemic compared to Mirrodin. Spiritcraft was an interesting mechanic, but a lot of those cards were overcosted.

I miss Arcane spells, their triggers, and Splice. I miss Kamigawa's flavor.

But, Ravnica came after the block and was amazing, so it wasn't great to be any less than outstanding and stuck between those sets.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

gently caress. This is going in all my decks. Not because I want it there, but because it's what I'll undoubtedly end up typing into to Scryfall before correcting to Witch's Oven.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Would have preferred Immolating Glare but I guess this is fine

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Witch's Kitchen.dec

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
When I was your age Timmy was the guy that pinged you for 1 dagnabbit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MisterZimbu posted:

I remember when he got a functional reprint in Ice Age so you could run 8 and we thought that was just busted AF.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tainen posted:

Yep, I would say pay attention to creature types that sound like they might be part of a D&D party...

I am extremely hyped to assemble a party of goblin adventurers, I tell you what.

Before the Eldraine reveal I was convinced that it was going to be the D&D set. It came later than normal and I thought they were delaying it to coincide with another product line's announcements. Crossing my fingers that this is the year I get my wish.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
There is, once again, a heaven for a G

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Solid finisher for Abzan Vito cat oven.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I guess ninjas and samurai in warring states period (?) isn't too bad of a take on Fantasy Japan but I'd rather see folktale inspired stuff with woodblock print on premium cards. I'm talking tanuki planeswalker with giant loving balls. Cmon wotc, you cowards.

It's a minor wording difference with a very loaded term. You're thinking of the 'Age of Warring States' not the 'Warring States Period'. Warring States Period is Three Kingdoms era China. Due to the fraught history between the two countries, mixing anything between the two generates a lot of bad blood.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Warring States Period is Three Kingdoms era China.

It was hundreds of years before the Three Kingdoms.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Boco_T posted:

lol remember healing salve?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

ilmucche posted:

healing salve also prevented damage.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Owlbear Camus posted:

Witch's Kitchen.dec

A witchen, if you will.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ilmucche posted:

Oh boy we're getting this same bad joke two sets in a row despite neither card having the best mode of Healing Salve

Perhaps it is you, who does not remember healing salve?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Boco_T posted:

Aren't there a few "if a creature died" cards? Couldn't they have brought back the Morbid keyword?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

MisterZimbu posted:

Wasnt that just Tim?

I thought he was named after the wizard played by John Cleese in MP and the Holy Grail.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

MisterZimbu posted:

That was Tim, named for Tim the Enchanter from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Aren't there a few "if a creature died" cards? Couldn't they have brought back the Morbid keyword?

Morbid is an ability word, not a keyword. Ability words don't actually do anything except associate cards with each other. There are many cards that have "landfall" triggers without actually featuring the word "landfall."

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Even AutoCardAnywhere agrees.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
What was the card that maro teased that’s been printed a thousand times with a hundred different arts? Clearly not bolt or swords or anything like that but was it just like giant spider?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Pontius Pilate posted:

What was the card that maro teased that’s been printed a thousand times with a hundred different arts? Clearly not bolt or swords or anything like that but was it just like giant spider?

Shock or Opt I think?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Pontius Pilate posted:

Duress

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

Presently in Standard, no card just gains life. The white spells that can presently, like Healing Salve, modal, like Light of Hope and Heliod's Intervention, where the versatility is the point. Most just have it as a rider, like Rally for the Throne or Aerial Assault where the life gain is a bonus that aids you in stabilizing and let's you go all in a little more safely.

Cards that only gain life need wads as big at costs as low as Life Goes On or Feed the Clan to be usable, because they don't do anything to stop you from getting rolled over, and a deck on a roll can stuff ten life away easy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I checked, Heroes' Reunion (7 for GW) sees extreme fringe play in modern glittering wish sideboards, and Chaplain's Blessing (5 for W) didn't even make it in Sealed.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boco_T posted:

This just seems really not green. I mean I get that this is probably intended for a Golgari life/sac kind of thing in limited but straight up "you gain life" on a card seems like it ought to be white. This is much more orzhov than it is Golgari.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Did not realize that Jumpstart previews start tomorrow as well. Thats a ton of cards to cram into the rest of the week.

quote:

We're running previews all the way from June 5 until June 20. Core Set 2021 previews will run until June 16 (when the full set will be revealed), and then we'll switch to Jumpstart previews for June 17, 18, and 19, with the full set up on June 20.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Klowner posted:

This just seems really not green. I mean I get that this is probably intended for a Golgari life/sac kind of thing in limited but straight up "you gain life" on a card seems like it ought to be white. This is much more orzhov than it is Golgari.
Lifegain is just as green as white dude. All the way back to alpha.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Spiderdrake posted:

Lifegain is just as green as white dude. All the way back to alpha.

Was about to say the same.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Klowner posted:

but straight up "you gain life" on a card seems like it ought to be white.

You'd be surprised. Stream of Life from Alpha is a green card. The two colors have it in pretty equal measure, perhaps nowhere as blatant as Dawnglow Infusion.

Graveyard based life-gain is in Weatherlight and Torment as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Did not realize that Jumpstart previews start tomorrow as well. Thats a ton of cards to cram into the rest of the week.

There are only 37 new cards in Jumpstart. The rest are reprints/M21 cards