Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
So I'm doing a 5e West Marches style campaign, and one of my lv3 players is a Bard who got to pick a magic item, with the only restriction being that it has to be an instrument. He picked a magic saxophone. I want to make it good without making it overpowered -- while I would like to give it the ability to cast a few cool cantrips at will, I don't think that'll be too effective. However, I'm also playing with giving it the abilities of the Decanter of Endless Water, just activated by playing it instead of speaking a command word. Any other ideas? It can't be too powerful -- something along the lines of 'an uncommon magic item'.

So far I've let it produce water, beer, or hard liquor (user's choice) at a rate of 1 gallon, 5 gallons, or 20 gallons. It's a new world exploration campaign, so the economy won't suffer or anything just by letting it produce this stuff.

Orange DeviI fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

please knock Mom! posted:

So I'm doing a 5e West Marches style campaign, and one of my lv3 players is a Bard who got to pick a magic item, with the only restriction being that it has to be an instrument. He picked a magic saxophone. I want to make it good without making it overpowered -- while I would like to give it the ability to cast a few cool cantrips at will, I don't think that'll be too effective. However, I'm also playing with giving it the abilities of the Decanter of Endless Water, just activated by playing it instead of speaking a command word. Any other ideas? It can't be too powerful -- something along the lines of 'an uncommon magic item'.

Give it some suggestion/charm person etc charges but it has to trigger off of a performance check, so they can't be subtle about it at all

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Give him the ability to bust through a wall, once a day when he says the command word

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNno63ZO2Lw

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 15, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also hypnotic pattern, but he has to keep playing (and the hypnotized people are rocking out 80s style)

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

So far I've let it produce water, beer, or hard liquor (user's choice) at a rate of 1 gallon, 5 gallons, or 20 gallons. It's a new world exploration campaign, so the economy won't suffer or anything just by letting it produce this stuff.

Careless whispers... guilty feet have got no rhythm. Acrobatics(Dex) save or fall prone for everyone who can hear it. DC 15.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Shape water/fire, mold earth, or minor illusion when he plays could be fun. They are just basic cantrips, but letting him add a bit of magic to any performance opens up some roleplaying opportunities. They are also useful if the player is creative, but have the added limitation that the PC needs some time to have an uninterrupted performance with a loud instrument.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
These are all lovely suggestions. I'm starting it off with the water/beer/liquor power, adding on the cantrips, save-or-prone, and hypnotic pattern as benefits gained through leveling it. I've already got a few quests in mind for the bard which'll unlock them.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure if this counts as intended or Murphy's Rules, but today we learned that a half-orc's Relentless Endurance trait is always active, not just in combat or particular sources. We learned this when our fighter got sloppy and walked down a hallway ahead of the rogue, tripping a swinging scythe trap that would have made paste out of any of the rest of us. We're gonna take a nap, head upriver to a nearby fort, and come back better prepared. Personally I think the fighter did a great job of checking for traps and we should just use him to do that after every long rest.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
You could also make it a saxophone of stealth: it makes you invisible while you are playing it.

Or maybe just save that for another magical instrument that he encounters. Any number of instruments could be fun, but I especially like really big ones or really small and loud ones (like a kazoo)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lobsterpillar posted:

You could also make it a saxophone of stealth: it makes you invisible while you are playing it.

Or maybe just save that for another magical instrument that he encounters. Any number of instruments could be fun, but I especially like really big ones or really small and loud ones (like a kazoo)

I like the idea of a Tuba that increases stealth, but only if you're actively playing "In the Hall of the Mountain King".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does it only work if they're an overfed long haired leaping gnome

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I like the idea of a Tuba that increases stealth, but only if you're actively playing "In the Hall of the Mountain King".

If you wanted to keep it a saxophone, the Pink Panther theme.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

i want monster hunter hunting horns in dnd so badly now

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

This would be loving terrifying

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Reveilled posted:

If you wanted to keep it a saxophone, the Pink Panther theme.

I'm all in on the idea of creating a "sneaky soundtrack" effect. As well as a jazzy pink panther version of Hall of the Mountain King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-rFzcJm8g0

"While attuned, the Trombone of the Mountain King allows you to use your performance roll in lieu of a stealth check. Once per day, Trombone of the Mountain King may be used to turn yourself and up to four accompanists invisible - other creatures can hear the musical performance normally but cannot identify the source."

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 17, 2020

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I was wondering if anyone has good advice or resources on puzzles. My players are (Avernus stuff) going to the Arches of Ulloch next, and it's kind of a nothingburger of an area so I thought having a puzzle or riddle of some kind would make it more interesting. But, I don't even know where to begin for inspiration on this kind of thing. I did some googling and did hit some DM advice, namely "Don't make it too hard since it bars progress" and "don't be afraid to just let them break it with alternate solutions", but nothing about actually designing a good puzzle.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Celebrity Ghost posted:

I was wondering if anyone has good advice or resources on puzzles. My players are (Avernus stuff) going to the Arches of Ulloch next, and it's kind of a nothingburger of an area so I thought having a puzzle or riddle of some kind would make it more interesting. But, I don't even know where to begin for inspiration on this kind of thing. I did some googling and did hit some DM advice, namely "Don't make it too hard since it bars progress" and "don't be afraid to just let them break it with alternate solutions", but nothing about actually designing a good puzzle.

Use the rule of three, so that solving a puzzle should take no more than three steps. Provide multiple ways to get clues, because they'll probably miss them. Make the puzzle interesting because there's a good chance they'll try to sidestep it or push past.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Speaking from experience here: Never, never do a light's out puzzle

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't speak to making puzzles, but I dunno if you need to add anything to the Arches. Just Don't remind them of how they work.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I've enjoyed making puzzles related to "getting this unusual treasure home, which doesn't fit through the door". Or a chest with 100,000 copper pieces in it (which is obviously incredibly heavy). If the players figure out something clever, they can keep the treasure, otherwise they have to leave it behind.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
This was inspired by a forgotten realms novel whose name I can't recall, but we once had a character who had the innate ability to turn invisible, at will, so long as his eyes were closed. Bit of a mixed blessing

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

JustJeff88 posted:

This was inspired by a forgotten realms novel whose name I can't recall, but we once had a character who had the innate ability to turn invisible, at will, so long as his eyes were closed. Bit of a mixed blessing

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
DMing for a new group, summarized prompt is that they’ve all done something bad a month earlier and that’s why they’re on a rickety boat setting sail for the unexplored shores of Chult.

I haven’t properly DMed in years so I just whipped up some ship crew, two or three encounters to throw at them (starting level 3, so mainly a level appropriate harpy raiding party and sahuagin boarders). I think I’ve got enough for session one.

Does anyone have some pointers on solid modules in 5e which feature ship to ship combat? I’d love to cannibalize an encounter with a pirate vessel.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/maps-extravaganza-software

Is this good? I know Campaign Cartographer is venerable, but is it worth 30 bucks with all the fixins?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DMing for a new group, summarized prompt is that they’ve all done something bad a month earlier and that’s why they’re on a rickety boat setting sail for the unexplored shores of Chult.

I haven’t properly DMed in years so I just whipped up some ship crew, two or three encounters to throw at them (starting level 3, so mainly a level appropriate harpy raiding party and sahuagin boarders). I think I’ve got enough for session one.

Does anyone have some pointers on solid modules in 5e which feature ship to ship combat? I’d love to cannibalize an encounter with a pirate vessel.

Saltmarsh is what everyone is drawing from for.piratey stuff these days I think.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Our level 6 party is getting custom magical items made as a quest reward (ie we get to choose) and at first I wanted winged boots, both because flying rules and it's strictly worse than the broom, which I feel like is overpowered. Buttttt I was looking through items last night, and came across the professor orb:

quote:

Each professor orb takes the form of a smooth, solid, 5-pound sphere of smoky gray quartz about the size of a grapefruit. Close examination reveals two or more pinpricks of silver light deep inside the sphere.

A Professor Orb is sentient and has the personality of a scholar. Its alignment is determined by rolling on the alignment table in the "Sentient Magic Items" section in chapter 7 of the Dungeon Master's Guide. Regardless of its disposition, the orb has an Intelligence of 18, and Wisdom and Charisma scores determined by rolling 3d6 for each ability. The orb speaks, reads, and understands four languages, and can see and hear normally out to a range of 60 feet. Unlike most sentient items, the orb has no will of its own and can't initiate a conflict with the creature in possession of it.

A Professor Orb has extensive knowledge of four narrow academic subjects. When making an Intelligence check to recall lore from any of its areas of expertise, the orb has a +9 bonus to its roll (including its Intelligence modifier).

[Can also cast mage hand on itself to fly]

How broken is this in practice? I'm playing a wizard already but having a floating, sentient library/universal translator for the languages your party doesn't speak at your disposal seems pretty useful

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Saltmarsh is what everyone is drawing from for.piratey stuff these days I think.

Thanks, I'm just looking to steal some battlemaps and stuff, so this is great. Is the Roll20 module any good? As in, can I just steal battlemaps piecemeal? Else I'll just buy it on dndbeyond.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

change my name posted:

Our level 6 party is getting custom magical items made as a quest reward (ie we get to choose) and at first I wanted winged boots, both because flying rules and it's strictly worse than the broom, which I feel like is overpowered. Buttttt I was looking through items last night, and came across the professor orb:

How broken is this in practice? I'm playing a wizard already but having a floating, sentient library/universal translator for the languages your party doesn't speak at your disposal seems pretty useful

It's as broken as your DM lets it be. Or as worthless as your DM makes it.

But it does have a hard cap at just being lore dumpy. Or a floor at being useless.

I'd talk to your DM, they might be able to implement it into the story in interesting ways.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/software/maps-extravaganza-software

Is this good? I know Campaign Cartographer is venerable, but is it worth 30 bucks with all the fixins?
I'm bout to find out. I do have Dungeondraft but I found the lack of cool graphics/tilesets to be a bit limiting - everything has the same cartoony look. I realize it's in alpha so I assume DD assets will grow a lot after release.

Anyway I'll try to get some time with the Campaign Cartographer bundle and post thoughts here

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Celebrity Ghost posted:

My usual place of inspiration for D&D puzzles is a 90s TV show called The Crystal Maze, you can find episodes on Youtube. If you've never seen it before, the general premise is that a team of players must complete challenges in various categories (mental, physical, skill, and mystery) and settings. Each challenge is attempted by one player, but other players can help out with advice or encouragement. The mental and mystery games are usually the most "puzzly" but the other two are good inspirations also. The nice thing about these challenges is that they're designed to be completed in three minutes or less, so you can be relatively sure that any D&D puzzle based on a Crystal Maze puzzle will not stump the players for very long, while providing a nice change of pace.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Dexo posted:

It's as broken as your DM lets it be. Or as worthless as your DM makes it.

But it does have a hard cap at just being lore dumpy. Or a floor at being useless.

I'd talk to your DM, they might be able to implement it into the story in interesting ways.

She's going to give me a list of potential scholarly areas it can have expertise in, so I assume it won't be totally useless. But I just found out that we all get to pick rare items anyways, so it's a moot point if everyone's getting nice things.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Syrinxx posted:

I'm bout to find out. I do have Dungeondraft but I found the lack of cool graphics/tilesets to be a bit limiting - everything has the same cartoony look. I realize it's in alpha so I assume DD assets will grow a lot after release.

Anyway I'll try to get some time with the Campaign Cartographer bundle and post thoughts here

2-minute tabletop's packs (which includes lots of free -- or really PWYW with optional $0 payment) all seem to include dungeondraft asset packs which import pretty easily, I've had pretty good success with it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
In my entire 15 year span of playing TTRPGs I've never actually done a classic dragon fight from either side of the DM screen. The OP of this thread says that the Tyranny of Dragons hardcovers are actually lackluster, so can anyone recommend me maybe some DMs Guild adventures that are good dragon based adventures?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/diversity-and-dnd

racial stat bonuses ... might be gone soon ?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

good

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’m curious to see what the modifications to CoS are. They’re gonna have to redo the whole presentation of that group.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Even if you do play your Drow PC as evil, how may people actually play a drow as they are written int he setting?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Sounds good to me. I know it's not necessary to be optimal or whatever, but if one player is a gnome barbarian and everyone else is more conventional combos the disparity can be a little bit of a bummer.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Holy goddamn poo poo yes, they should have killed them ages ago!

Not enthused about paying money for the privilege or eating my Adventurer's League +1, but if I can play an orc wizard I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Kaysette posted:

I’m curious to see what the modifications to CoS are. They’re gonna have to redo the whole presentation of that group.

Same. I'm looking to run CoS very soon, and if they want to provide a non-racist version of the Vistani so I don't have to figure out what to do with them that would be great. I wonder how long it'll take to update D&D Beyond.