Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’m really struggling not to give in to Nemesis, but it’s a lot of money right now. I think it was a bit of a dick move to put this big expensive KS up when so many people don’t have spare money right now, or are flat out unemployed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm finding it very easy to not Kickstart board games at the moment, because I have shelves full of them and they're all useless for the foreseeable

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crossposting :slick:

For Kickstarter chat a bunch of cool poo poo just dropped.

These ones caught my eye, but I haven't had a good chance to look at:
Mini Rogue - This is currently top of my "Do I want to back a solo game for $50+ AUD" list

Pitch and Plakks - Customisable mini-golf. Might be a good kids pickup?

Tales of BarBEARia - Dice placement battle bears? :nyoron:

Fire Tower - Expansion + Reprint - Apparently this is popular? So a heads up that it's started.

The Whatnot Cabinet - This has been getting some good reports from what I've been reading, and looks very chill

Communist Cats - Not sure if it's any good, but that artwork is delightful :allears:

Crash - Cool looking trick taking game. Looks like it's quick and light, and I might grab to gift out to my Car Friend.

The Dead Eye - Solo 3D card game with REALLY lovely artwork. It looks interesting, but it also looks "Pick this up at retail one the cheap" interesting :v:

Die in the Dungeon - Play a monster, roll die, and beat up heroes!

Your Friend is Sad - Do you like Shencomix? Well he made board game. If nothing else it has this meeple

(Kinda want that meeple)

--------------------------------------
I am going to stan the poo poo out of :siren: Merchants of the Dark Road :siren: though because it looks really loving good, and has a bunch of systems my gaming groups will enjoy.
I really really like the "Your final score is the lowest of your Fame Vs Money scores." mechanic. Fame is public. Money is hidden. Which I find really engaging from a "can I still win this" perspective where some players zone out towards the end of the game.

Currently backing the All-in Ultra Mega Deluxe tier because they have bi-coloured metal coins (And metal coins are my achilles heel)

This extended gameplay video does an excellent job of showing how the game operates at a good pace.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGczFMBTTdg

----------------------------------------

Apparently there's a bunch of other poo poo starting up soon, curious to see if the Terraforming Mars Big Box is just a bloody box or a traditional "Heres everything Big Box", preorders for the PS5 might go live soon, and I have a tattoo appointment later this month... too many games :negative:

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The TfM big box is a big box with an organizer and some 3D terrain tiles. No idea if you'll also be able to get the game itself or any expansions at the same time, but if you can they'll be add-ons.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Infinitum posted:

The Whatnot Cabinet - This has been getting some good reports from what I've been reading, and looks very chill

I don't know much about this game, but I backed Skulk Hollow by the same creator and it was both a smooth campaign and a good game

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tarnop posted:

I don't know much about this game, but I backed Skulk Hollow by the same creator and it was both a smooth campaign and a good game

I’ve got a few of their games, and they’re all lovely.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

The_Doctor posted:

I’m really struggling not to give in to Nemesis, but it’s a lot of money right now. I think it was a bit of a dick move to put this big expensive KS up when so many people don’t have spare money right now, or are flat out unemployed.

I typed up a big post about how Kickstarter incentivises companies to make things super-deluxe instead of affordable. But then I didn't post it because on a reread I thought I was coming across as an old grump complaining about the kids these days.

All I'll say is that when I was getting into board games, I paid $30 for Race for the Galaxy and got hundreds of hours out of it. In that context, even if Nemesis is a great game, I don't see any reason to drop $500 on it. I can't play board games until quarantine is over, and once quarantine is over I could spend that $500 on a trip to the US to play games I already own with friends I haven't seen in a long time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
i do wonder how people who are new to the board game hobby are supposed to find what they're interested in when the big buzzword games everyone talks about are enormous blockbuster games. speaking as someone who likes and is easily manipulated by stupid poo poo like metal coins.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

I typed up a big post about how Kickstarter incentivises companies to make things super-deluxe instead of affordable. But then I didn't post it because on a reread I thought I was coming across as an old grump complaining about the kids these days.

All I'll say is that when I was getting into board games, I paid $30 for Race for the Galaxy and got hundreds of hours out of it. In that context, even if Nemesis is a great game, I don't see any reason to drop $500 on it. I can't play board games until quarantine is over, and once quarantine is over I could spend that $500 on a trip to the US to play games I already own with friends I haven't seen in a long time.

I think Race for the Galaxy is an outlier in delivering that much game for that little, much like Gloomhaven (at a whole other scale and price) is for what it offers. And even then, I'd want to have the expansions. For my tastes, a game with a lot of play value tends to involve much larger outlays even without Kickstarter. (see for example FFG's big box dungeon crawlers, or even something like Eldritch Horror). Kickstarter does inflate things a fair bit, don't get me wrong. But not so much that it necessarily feels unreasonable for the quality of production and experience, and the quantity of content...and if it does, I skip that project.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Impermanent posted:

i do wonder how people who are new to the board game hobby are supposed to find what they're interested in when the big buzzword games everyone talks about are enormous blockbuster games. speaking as someone who likes and is easily manipulated by stupid poo poo like metal coins.

Seriously, I'd never have spotted Sunset Over Water if someone hadn't mentioned it here.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Impermanent posted:

Yeah, this is one of the things I was talking about in the post I didn't post. I know there are good games being made, and I hear about them in the boardgames thread here. My in-laws who are also into boardgames but not as deep as me? They hear about games that are licensed to a big brand or media property, and they hear about games that do huge numbers on Kickstarter.

Obviously a game that sells for $30 can't do those huge numbers on Kickstarter. You only get numbers that big by charging ten times that. And so a game that focuses on affordability might have exactly the same margins at $30 as some deluxe fancy game does at $300, but Kickstarter will only promote the expensive one that is going to earn them 10x as much per customer.

If someone made the next RFTG, how would my in-laws even find out? (I mean, they'd hear about it from me after I heard about it on these forums.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, yeah, hobbyist stuff generally is for hobbyists. There's some stuff in that range at Target these days, though, which is probably helping?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jimbozig posted:

Yeah, this is one of the things I was talking about in the post I didn't post. I know there are good games being made, and I hear about them in the boardgames thread here. My in-laws who are also into boardgames but not as deep as me? They hear about games that are licensed to a big brand or media property, and they hear about games that do huge numbers on Kickstarter.

Obviously a game that sells for $30 can't do those huge numbers on Kickstarter. You only get numbers that big by charging ten times that. And so a game that focuses on affordability might have exactly the same margins at $30 as some deluxe fancy game does at $300, but Kickstarter will only promote the expensive one that is going to earn them 10x as much per customer.

If someone made the next RFTG, how would my in-laws even find out? (I mean, they'd hear about it from me after I heard about it on these forums.)

Yeah, Kickstarter would never promote a $30 game:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roadtoinfamy/canvas-2

Or $20:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/979360119/sugar-heist?ref=discovery_staff_picks_category

Or $21:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/travishancock/bristol-1350-race-against-the-black-death?ref=discovery_staff_picks_category

Or $15:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/isaacfoursouls/tapeworm?ref=discovery_staff_picks_category

Etc. (All stuff that were Projects We Love and highlighted on the site.)
And incidentally, there's been a bunch of relatively small, cheap games like that that have made hundreds of thousands or millions of dollars on Kickstarter. I won't vouch for them being good. But it's perfectly possible for cheap games to do that, and perfectly possible for them to get Kickstarter's promotion behind them.

I mean, I don't think that's their primary bread and butter, and I don't think any given small cheap game is necessarily going to get that kind of attention...but also, I'm pretty sure those are true in the hobby gaming market generally, including pre-KS.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I didn't say they don't promote cheaper games at all. I said the games with the higher dollar totals get more attention. Which they obviously do.

Can you name some kickstarters that raised the most total dollars? I can.

Can you name some kickstarters that had the most total backers? I have no idea. Nobody ever talks about that.

The $300 game that gets 10,000 backers and raises $3 million in its first 5 days will get a lot more attention than the $30 game that gets 10,000 backers and raises $0.3 million in its first 5 days. And what effect do you think that has over the remaining 25 days?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The games with the most backers are typically either popular meme games (Exploding Kittens, Joking Hazard) or massive campaign games (Frosthaven, 7th Continent).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tiny Epic Pirates hit $1.1 million, and the core game is $30.

I have no skin in this game, but it is definitely possible to hit the big numbers without being a giant $250 box of minis with a game hanging off it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Tiny Epic Pirates is also just the latest in a long line of games that has been running for like 6 years now. I guarantee that they wouldn't have pulled anywhere near that number if they hadn't spent those years cultivating a dedicated fan-base in addition to being on the cheaper end of games, whereas it seems (at least to me, this could be completely wrong) that a giant box of minis will often be able to pull those big numbers even if it's a new product from an unproven team.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

senrath posted:

Tiny Epic Pirates is also just the latest in a long line of games that has been running for like 6 years now. I guarantee that they wouldn't have pulled anywhere near that number if they hadn't spent those years cultivating a dedicated fan-base in addition to being on the cheaper end of games, whereas it seems (at least to me, this could be completely wrong) that a giant box of minis will often be able to pull those big numbers even if it's a new product from an unproven team.

Tiny Epics in order:

Kingdoms: $287k
Defenders: $162k
Galaxies: $412k
TEK Heroes Call: $186k
Western: $468k
TEG Beyond the Black: $412k
Quest: $590k
Zombies: $854k
Mechs: $546k
Tactics: $605k
Dinosaurs: $497k

The price of the games hasn't changed, so the size of their fanbase hasn't grown much since since Galaxies. The step up with Quest probably came from that being the first of the Itemeeple games, which attracted some additional interest. So it looks like what actually brought the money in was the theme, the other outlier being the zombie game.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I know I was more interested in pirates than some of the other themes.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Tenasscity posted:

Bonus: Painted queen.

This looks incredibly gross and I mean that as a credit to your painting.

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

SpaceCommie posted:

This looks incredibly gross and I mean that as a credit to your painting.

D'awww :3:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Ice Cream Frenzy - a casual board game about kids competing for the biggest ice cream scoop with an adorable art style, friend of mine is involved in this so figured I'd post it here.

quote:

Ice Cream Frenzy is an easy-to-learn game that anyone can learn, plays best with a lot of players, but still has strategy and a lot of player interaction. It is a unique game that blends taking turns with simultaneous action. The goal is to collect sets of scoops that score in various different types of sets. Even though players take turns taking ice cream scoops, any player can use, trade, or donate any of their action tiles at any time so the sky is the limit on what strategy you decide to use. Once per round, a player can cut-in-line, give an unwanted scoop to their dog, knock a scoop off another player's cone, take immediate revenge, or invoke the five second rule.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Monumental: African Empires is up on KS. Anyone have any opinions on the base game? Note that this expansion is KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE for some reason.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My knee-jerk response is that I don't think any Africans or people of African origin were involved in the making of this, and thus it's immediately suspect.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Monumental: African Empires is up on KS. Anyone have any opinions on the base game? Note that this expansion is KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE for some reason.

I looked at it and wasn't impressed. Also it's a Funforge project; the last one of those I backed arrived 18 months late.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

potatocubed posted:

My knee-jerk response is that I don't think any Africans or people of African origin were involved in the making of this, and thus it's immediately suspect.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Yah this was my gut too. It looks like a pretty diverse art team but not so much on the design/dev side

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wallsofscydonia/walls-of-scydonia-skills-strategy-physics-action?ref=discovery_category_newest

1.) It has a CATAPULT in the box
2.) The early bird starts at $220 AUD

"I was advised to reduce this to the base game + 2 expansions"

Dreamin'

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Welp. That Terraforming Mars Big Box KS is up. They want $100 for the level that actually includes the big box (you can pledge a mere $80 if you just want the 3D tiles and a small box to hold them. what a bargain), and there's another $95 worth of cosmetic addons.

I'd like a comprehensive storage solution. I don't want it $100 bad. You also can't add on anything without buying the tiles, in case you just wanted the Turmoil improved player boards (which are on offer) or the promos or something.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Infinitum posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wallsofscydonia/walls-of-scydonia-skills-strategy-physics-action?ref=discovery_category_newest

1.) It has a CATAPULT in the box
2.) The early bird starts at $220 AUD

"I was advised to reduce this to the base game + 2 expansions"

Dreamin'

$53 for just the catapult. Which seems kind of neat, but I don't think it seems $53 neat.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

malkav11 posted:

Welp. That Terraforming Mars Big Box KS is up. They want $100 for the level that actually includes the big box (you can pledge a mere $80 if you just want the 3D tiles and a small box to hold them. what a bargain), and there's another $95 worth of cosmetic addons.

I'd like a comprehensive storage solution. I don't want it $100 bad. You also can't add on anything without buying the tiles, in case you just wanted the Turmoil improved player boards (which are on offer) or the promos or something.

They have 200 metal resource cubes as a $60 add-on. Will this thread be able to survive that?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, I have all the expansions and they fit in the original core box (in baggies), so I have to ask myself if I'd spend $100+addon costs+shipping to "trick out" the game. Nah.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

graventy posted:

$53 for just the catapult. Which seems kind of neat, but I don't think it seems $53 neat.

You got a lot more for $60 when Parker Brothers made this.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I enjoy Terraforming Mars but that feels stupidly high for chrome. I would like double sided player boards and nicer cards but I would pay $100 for that mess

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well with about 40 hours left to go, the Role Kickstarter has successfully funded and even met one of its stretch goals. Another thing they demoed the other day is the addition of a whiteboard and token tracking feature which wasn't originally listed as something it was going to have at launch.

Cards on the table, I will be working on Lancer: Battlegroup along with Miguel Lopez, so to an extent I have some skin in this. It looks like the KS is funding so that's fine. That said I certainly don't dispute or disagree with any of the opinions that it does seem like Role is attempting to compete in a field of stiff competition with fairly nebulous strengths. I hope it works out for them because hey, a LFG/game chat thing with its own storefront could be handy, and the stretch goal which was funded is an expanded and integrated set of safety tools worked on by the creators of the TTRPG Safety Toolkit. I kind of think that the Kickstarter campaign itself could have been "hyped" a bit more though I will admit I think they got a decent selection of designers to collaborate with them. The timing was kind of rough what with everything in the world going on right now but, well, not really a lot you can do to plan for that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

malkav11 posted:

So the ALL-IN bundle for Aussies is $327 AUD

If I wanted all the addons? $563 AUD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL2DH-nKBeA

Disappointing because I was somewhat looking forward to this, but it's prohibitively expensive.

Base game TM pickup it is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

Well with about 40 hours left to go, the Role Kickstarter has successfully funded and even met one of its stretch goals. Another thing they demoed the other day is the addition of a whiteboard and token tracking feature which wasn't originally listed as something it was going to have at launch.

Cards on the table, I will be working on Lancer: Battlegroup along with Miguel Lopez, so to an extent I have some skin in this. It looks like the KS is funding so that's fine. That said I certainly don't dispute or disagree with any of the opinions that it does seem like Role is attempting to compete in a field of stiff competition with fairly nebulous strengths. I hope it works out for them because hey, a LFG/game chat thing with its own storefront could be handy, and the stretch goal which was funded is an expanded and integrated set of safety tools worked on by the creators of the TTRPG Safety Toolkit. I kind of think that the Kickstarter campaign itself could have been "hyped" a bit more though I will admit I think they got a decent selection of designers to collaborate with them. The timing was kind of rough what with everything in the world going on right now but, well, not really a lot you can do to plan for that.
I'm really skeptical about Role, but as long as I can download and keep Lancer: Battlegroup, that sounds fair for $20.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

I'm really skeptical about Role, but as long as I can download and keep Lancer: Battlegroup, that sounds fair for $20.

This is kind of how I'm looking at it. Even if Role crashes and burns spectacularly, the games they're co-funding will remain available.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
This game about airships looks pretty cool - I backed with the intent of giving it as a gift to my father, who loves board games, history, and airships.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Arcsech posted:

This game about airships looks pretty cool - I backed with the intent of giving it as a gift to my father, who loves board games, history, and airships.

The product design looks really cool. Not my cup of tea though. They definitely did put a lot into the presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Arcsech posted:

I sort of like the design, big fan of the 90s revival rose compass, but a lot of it is just masses of white and off-white. It looks like a prototype still, and parts of it seem really dry.