Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

is there a good brawler type game that isn't "press a bunch" or "keep the combo going" types? like a free roaming fighting game.

If by brawler, you're including 2d beat-em-ups, Fight 'n Rage, and Streets of Fury both draw heavy inspiration from fighting games and have complex, robust combo systems. Streets of Rage 4 was partly developed by the the studio that made Streets of Fury and it's one of the best in the genre.

If you're looking for 3d stuff, people seem to enjoy the DMC series.

What exactly do you mean by not being a "keep the combo going" game? Like an emphasis on single strikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

SoR Blaze posted:

If by brawler, you're including 2d beat-em-ups, Fight 'n Rage, and Streets of Fury both draw heavy inspiration from fighting games and have complex, robust combo systems. Streets of Rage 4 was partly developed by the the studio that made Streets of Fury and it's one of the best in the genre.

If you're looking for 3d stuff, people seem to enjoy the DMC series.

What exactly do you mean by not being a "keep the combo going" game? Like an emphasis on single strikes?

I think they mean games like DMC, where you are just juggling enemies and keeping a Chain going. Not sure what kind of game they a tuakly are looking for tbh

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Hey,

I'm looking for couch co-op games that I can play with someone who is really not good at games, ideally on PS4 although PC would work if we can both use controllers.

We tried Overcooked, Spelunky and Lara croft temple of Osiris and it gets a bit frustrating trying to instruct while also playing (esp the boss fights in Lara Croft). I saw there's a co-op harvest moon out but it looks a bit dump. I've seen theres lego games and little big planet could be a shout.

Thanks!

A LOVELY LAD fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 16, 2020

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

I'm looking for couch co-op games that I can play with someone who is really not good at games, ideally on PS4 although PC would work if we can both use controllers.

We tried Overcooked, Spelunky and Lara croft temple of Osiris and it gets a bit frustrating trying to instruct while also playing (esp the boss fights in Lara Croft). I saw there's a co-op harvest moon out but it looks a bit dump. I've seen theres lego games and little big planet could be a shout.

Thanks!

Perhaps Trine? It's puzzles and platforming but I don't remember anything being overly difficult in the first 2 games (didn't play 4 yet, trine 3 is apparently not very good).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I have a friend who is quite bad at FPS games, and gets motion sickness with low FOVs. They're looking for an FPS with a very easy easiest difficulty setting, and an FOV slider, to get better at such games. Does anyone have any tips?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

Thanks!

Diablo the Third.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

Streets of Rage 4 is awesome for this. It's a game that has a lot more technical depth than you'd expect, so it'll be fun for you, but you can also (on lower difficulties) get by with walking up to enemies and mashing attack. Don't bother explaining blitz attacks, animation cancels, infinite combos, i-frame moves, etc. Just say "punch with this button" and that's all a novice needs to know to contribute.

Shine fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 16, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Octodad is on PS4. It's pretty great for casual co-op, less demanding than overcooked as well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pun pundit posted:

I have a friend who is quite bad at FPS games, and gets motion sickness with low FOVs. They're looking for an FPS with a very easy easiest difficulty setting, and an FOV slider, to get better at such games. Does anyone have any tips?

Doom

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pun pundit posted:

Chex Quest HD?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

This.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pun pundit posted:

Portal, the OG Doom, honestly any of the earlier shooters

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

Thanks!

Stardew Valley

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Portal, the OG Doom, honestly any of the earlier shooters

Portal is about the last FPS I'd recommend for someone who gets motion sick.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

Thanks!

Some of the more unconventional co-op games I've had success with the wife are:

Until Dawn - I would play and do the QTEs and she would make all the story decisions
The Witness - I would drive for the most part and we would solve the puzzles together

Another recent game in the same vein of Overcooked is Moving Out, which has difficulty assists to tinker with.

John Rando
Nov 29, 2013

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey,

Thanks!

I've played through the Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed campaign with people who aren't great at games and they had a lot of fun, although the flying mode took some getting used to.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Hey guys, looking for the best way to play old/standard card games like Hearts, Spades, Gin Rummy, etc. Looking for something on PC and that I can play with up to four friends.

I know there are a lot of websites that offer stuff like this but everything I've looked at seems incredibly scammy and I'm just trying to see if there's more of a standard Steam game option.

I do know about Tabletop Simulator but as far as I know that requires physically interacting with everything instead of just pressing buttons on a keyboard right? I'd be playing this with my family so the simpler the interface the better.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Knightmare posted:

I was trying to figure out some Steam game recommendations to give my dad for Father's Day, he really only ever played Rise of Nations for years and then lost the disc. There are...some caveats:

-He has MS and can really only use mouse controls nowadays (and not very precisely)
-He has one of those all-in-one computers that I'm assuming is just running integrated graphics, so we're probably talking older or very scalable games. I can tell him about Steam refunds.

I was thinking things like an older Civ, Age of Empires, or Xcom 1? Turn based stuff is probably best, not sure if Slay the Spire is too complex but could have him check it out. I'm just not familiar with those types of PC games from a decade ago, any ideas would be appreciated!

Maybe check out Xenonauts? It is an xcom clone, and 2d graphics that should run on most systems. There is a lot of mods for it, and a community version wich is basically the original game but with a lot of quality of life improvements and bugfixes without changing gameplay.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Cheers for the suggestions! Stardew would have been good but it looks to not be couch co-op and unfortunately there was a hard pass on Diablo. I've got plenty to look into now tho and street of rage looks awesome!

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Can anyone make a recommendation for 4x-style games with no military aspect? Just develop your tech, culture, etc and push your society as far as you can? Failing that, which 4x games play well with war turned off?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Funktor posted:

Can anyone make a recommendation for 4x-style games with no military aspect? Just develop your tech, culture, etc and push your society as far as you can? Failing that, which 4x games play well with war turned off?

I can think of a few games adjacent to these requests but none that actually meet the call.

There are tons of city-building games that are either pacifist by default or lose very little if you remove the military component, but I don't know if they really count as 4X. The Anno series is really good if you want to put serious thought and effort into building logistical supply lines and optimizing things. If you want something more casual or narrative-oriented, then Frostpunk is entirely about making internal decisions about how your post-apocalyptic culture is going to survive.

You might enjoy playing a vassal in a large, stable kingdom in Crusader Kings 2. The game has no enforced goals, and political intrigue and spreading your dynasty is a deep enough system to be satisfying in itself without ever engaging in conquest. War will still exist but if you're playing like that, then it's basically a failure state for mismanagement.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Funktor posted:

Anno 2205. The RTS-like combat is totally segregated to optional maps. The rest is just chill citybuilding and logistics juggling.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fate of the World is the closest thing I know to a 4X game without war, but it's definitely not a 4X game, since there's no exploring and it's mainly about trying to strategize around saving the world from the imminent disasters that are about to hit us right now.

Civilization can work alright without war, and I've heard that Stellaris with all the mods gives you something to deal with more than fighting, but I can't really say for sure.

Maybe you could call Black and White a 4X without war? You play as a god, and you have to manage your believer's population to help them build up, and the main feature of the campaign is that you have to increase their belief enough to expand your field of influence, which you can do with violence, but you also have the choice to not. Black and White 2 is a lot more of a traditional gameplay experience, and I remember the peaceful route is mainly about squeezing as many buildings to boost your influence as you can fit inside your borders.

Considering how the 4th X traditionally stands for "exterminate", you might need to clarify more of what you want.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Aren't there a bunch of mercantile 4X kinda stuff? The Guild, Patrician, that kinda game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Civilization can work alright without war, and I've heard that Stellaris with all the mods gives you something to deal with more than fighting, but I can't really say for sure.

I'm not sure if you mean mods or expansions. If you actually mean mods, I guess anything is possible, but if someone told you that about Stellaris with the official expansions, they were lying. There's nothing to do in that game except conquer the universe, the internal politics side of it is the weakest of any Paradox game.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

FanaticalMilk posted:

Hey guys, looking for the best way to play old/standard card games like Hearts, Spades, Gin Rummy, etc. Looking for something on PC and that I can play with up to four friends.

I know there are a lot of websites that offer stuff like this but everything I've looked at seems incredibly scammy and I'm just trying to see if there's more of a standard Steam game option.

I do know about Tabletop Simulator but as far as I know that requires physically interacting with everything instead of just pressing buttons on a keyboard right? I'd be playing this with my family so the simpler the interface the better.

MSN games? they've got a lotta classic card games like that online.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Galactic Civilizations 2 can be won without space battles, though it's hard to avoid at least some aspect of combat, even if it's just fortifying your planets against invasion. IIRC the paths to victory (aside from galactic military conquest) are:

- Research, in which you become so technology advanced that you basically become machine gods.
- Influence, in which your culture becomes the dominant one in the galaxy and all but erases others. Extremely lovely, but nonviolent.
- Alliance, in which you peacefully ally with every other major race in the galaxy. Though this often ties into combat, as it could be a case of "make friends with everybody who survives some bigass war," or support your allies by providing them with war resources, even if you yourself don't do any fighting.

I remember winning games as a kid without building a single warship.

You can set up a custom game that has only the less violently inclined races, to reduce the chance of a war and make it more a Star Trekky "explore stuff and meet people" experience.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For some reason I'm reminded of The Last Federation. It's very much not a 4X, but it's a game that's basically about being a precursor who is trying to get the factions in a 4X to make nice with each other. Well, kinda; each faction only has their own homeworld, so there's no expanding. But it gives you plenty of tools to manipulate the various factions, and they don't have to be violent. If nothing else, you can probably convince one faction to take out another one. And hey, winning by getting everyone killed off except the last two factions that were allied from the start still counts as a win!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Is there anything like Clubhouse Games on PC? Decent automated implementations of classic games with online matchmaking is everything I've ever wanted, but I sold my Switch because I don't care about most of the games on there.

But then Clubhouse came out of nowhere. :cripes:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Funktor posted:

Tropico works well without war, the war always seemed like a minor and annoying part of the gameplay to me.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Distant worlds can have the AI manage as much or as little of the game for you as you want. So you can absolutely just switch on AI control for all the military aspects and worry about exploring, colonising and economic concerns.

E: While I'm here, I loved the Patrician/Port Royale series as a kid, had there been anything in that vein in the last ten years or so?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Funktor posted:

Surviving mars, maybe? It sounds like you're looking for a management game with exploration and research.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm looking for a diablo/titan quest/van helsing loot drop type game but without the artificial loot inflation of randomly determined +number boosters.

Good: A bow that does appropriate damage for its level, has some kind of rider like fire or acid damage or whatever, and comes with a random power like an aoe cooldown or something

Acceptable: Same as the above, also all bows come with a level appropriate amount of +dexterity, or whatever determines your bow damage and to-hit

Bad: A bow that comes with a random ability score boost, +1AC, and +3.75% resistance to bludgeoning damage

Right out: A bow with +item find chance

e: Doesn't have to be fantasy, sci fi is also good. Doesn't even have to be a person I'm loading up with looted gear, a cool ship or a car or something is just as good.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 23, 2020

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Splicer posted:

I'm looking for a diablo/titan quest/van helsing loot drop type game but without the artificial loot inflation of randomly determined +number boosters.

Good: A bow that does appropriate damage for its level, has some kind of rider like fire or acid damage or whatever, and comes with a random power like an aoe cooldown or something

Acceptable: Same as the above, also all bows come with a level appropriate amount of +dexterity, or whatever determines your bow damage and to-hit

Bad: A bow that comes with a random ability score boost, +1AC, and +3.75% resistance to bludgeoning damage

e: Doesn't have to be fantasy, sci fi is also good. Doesn't even have to be a person I'm loading up with looted gear, a cool ship or a car or something is just as good.

Warframe? Plenty of bows available there.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Splicer posted:

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor might be up your alley. Weapons all have skills tied to them along with buffs and stat bonuses.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Asked in the Steam thread but it moves fast: I'm looking for a game like The Guild or the X series, where you start as a low class peasant, or bounty hunter or whatever, but as you get more powerful your gameplay options increase considerably and end up feeling powerful in more ways that just bigger numbers. For example: Mount and Blade has a bit of this, as does Starsector, but in the end those two examples are just "fight controlling one dude" versus "fight controlling 100 dudes", with some not very relevant stronghold stuff, so that's not what I want.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Asked in the Steam thread but it moves fast: I'm looking for a game like The Guild or the X series, where you start as a low class peasant, or bounty hunter or whatever, but as you get more powerful your gameplay options increase considerably and end up feeling powerful in more ways that just bigger numbers. For example: Mount and Blade has a bit of this, as does Starsector, but in the end those two examples are just "fight controlling one dude" versus "fight controlling 100 dudes", with some not very relevant stronghold stuff, so that's not what I want.

Battle Brothers MAY scratch the itch, but you don't really get things like strongholds or armies to send out or whatever.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Battle Brothers MAY scratch the itch, but you don't really get things like strongholds or armies to send out or whatever.

I love BB, but the things you're doing day 1 you're doing day 100 (with more brothers, better backgrounds and different enemies, admittedly). At least the base game was like that, not sure about the last DLC. Thanks for trying, anyway.

EDIT: Stronghold DLC when, Overhype

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Fat Samurai posted:

Kenshi, you start out getting beaten by cannibals in the desert in order to get stronger and by the end you become king gently caress of poo poo mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Kenshi, you start out getting beaten by cannibals in the desert in order to get stronger and by the end you become king gently caress of poo poo mountain

Already played it, but yeah, something like that.

I may have too many games...