Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

i am harry posted:

Something said the protests weren’t causing an influx of cases likely because of mask wearing. I’m going to assume the rallies will cause an influx just like memorial day did, and that this will further a conspiracy that the virus is targeting a specific group of voters.

The protests were mostly outdoors and tended to involve mostly younger people. Trump's rallies will be in enclosed spaces with HVAC and full of old people with comorbidity factors. Plus the masks, right - Trump refuses to wear one, and the people in the crowd will follow his example.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

VVV - my father in law also wanted to do a "family get-together" this past weekend. My wife and I were going to go when we thought it was 8 people in total hanging around outside.

It turned into "Okay so 50 members of my church are going to be there, and we'll be inside my 3 room house. Oh and my church believes the virus doesn't exist so nobody will wear a mask and will, in fact, get visibly angry at you for wearing a mask."

We told him no, he got pissed, but I'm not going to risk anything like that. It really sucks that saying "I don't want to potentially infect you and everyone you come in contact with" is now a statement akin to "hey im gonna do gay space communism now" with conservative members of the family, but here we are.

I haven't 100% committed to it but I'm also kind of making up for a decade of having a reputation as the family member that just bails on family stuff in recent years. Ultimately, me not going would probably offend people but it wouldn't be the end of the world or anything.

To be fair, it's outdoors and if I did go I would be avoiding getting near anyone and I'm not planning on going inside.

More than anything I am worried that it going to be exactly like you said and I'll show up to find absolutely no one trying to protect themselves and cramming inside. I'll also probably just look like a wet blanket wearing a mask and backing off when people get too close. I should probably just eat my family getting mad at me not go.

I'm more worried about my parents than myself. They are old and they are just being so stupid about it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

them getting over being mad at you is going to be easier than 50 of you getting over the roni

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Wafflecopper posted:

In New Zealand we had no new cases for 24 days and no active cases for the last week or two. Just had a couple of new cases in from overseas but hopefully they haven't spread it to anyone (somebody hosed up and let them out of quarantine early or something but they're isolated again now and apparently didn't come into close contact with anyone) and for the last couple of weeks life has been back to normal with the exception of the closed borders and the economic fallout. But bars are open, gatherings can happen, social distancing is over.

Yeah, that was two women from the UK. Sorry about that.

quote:

After both women tested positive for Covid-19 on Monday, one reported that in hindsight she had been experiencing symptoms, but had attributed them to a pre-existing medical condition.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Talking to southern conservative coworkers, it’s now official what their covid mental gymnastics are in place of recognizing trump’s gross negligence:

Hospitals get paid to claim deaths are due to covid, so they’re tacking it onto everything. Test positive after bleeding out from a gunshot? Covid. Greedy hospitals and Nancy Pelosi are getting rich as long as we glorify this as more than the flu.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I've reached the point where I'm getting labeled "dramatic" because I'm not desensitized to half a million worldwide deaths.

I had to tell someone in a group text thread they are tripping if they think movie theaters are a great idea to head to as they open up across the country in July. Then I said gently caress it and muted the thread instead of losing more brain cells, why am I even wasting energy anymore.

If I'm wrong, I'm still alive, if they are wrong, I'm dead.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

My office on April 30, "we're dedicated to safety and will likely not have a specific date where everyone must return to work. We will continue to be flexible."

On May 5, "Everyone return to work on June 8."

When I requested to continue working from home, which the entire office had been doing without issue for months, I was told to "either use vacation time or be at the office"

I work with a bunch of Trump idiots and there's a Trump Rally a couple of hours away on Saturday so I'm going to feel at even greater risk in the coming weeks. What a bunch of stupid bullshit.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

zer0spunk posted:

I've reached the point where I'm getting labeled "dramatic" because I'm not desensitized to half a million worldwide deaths.

I had to tell someone in a group text thread they are tripping if they think movie theaters are a great idea to head to as they open up across the country in July. Then I said gently caress it and muted the thread instead of losing more brain cells, why am I even wasting energy anymore.

I keep hoping that this will lead to the rise of at-home initial release VOD.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Rolo posted:

Talking to southern conservative coworkers, it’s now official what their covid mental gymnastics are in place of recognizing trump’s gross negligence:

Hospitals get paid to claim deaths are due to covid, so they’re tacking it onto everything. Test positive after bleeding out from a gunshot? Covid. Greedy hospitals and Nancy Pelosi are getting rich as long as we glorify this as more than the flu.

It's infuriating. Hospitals make the vast majority of their money from elective procedures, which are no longer being done due to COVID-19 concerns. I'm an essential computer-toucher for a hospital so I and all other non-frontline employees that didn't get furloughed had to take significant pay cuts to prevent the hospital from going bankrupt.

The brain worms aren't exclusive to non-hospital workers either. I've had coworkers go on about how since we're nowhere near close to capacity in the ICU that there's no reason not to open everything back up and end all restrictions. "It has a 98% survival rate! Are you going to live in fear your whole life?" is the sound you hear in the echo chamber.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Doggles posted:

It's infuriating. Hospitals make the vast majority of their money from elective procedures, which are no longer being done due to COVID-19 concerns. I'm an essential computer-toucher for a hospital so I and all other non-frontline employees that didn't get furloughed had to take significant pay cuts to prevent the hospital from going bankrupt.

The brain worms aren't exclusive to non-hospital workers either. I've had coworkers go on about how since we're nowhere near close to capacity in the ICU that there's no reason not to open everything back up and end all restrictions. "It has a 98% survival rate! Are you going to live in fear your whole life?" is the sound you hear in the echo chamber.

Every time people bring up the bolded bit I cry at how bad people are at gambling. Those are terrible odds.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its legit great odds for 9yos and russian roulette w 1 or 2 bullets in chamber for 90yos

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

It probably helps if you think about in other terms. Those extra half a million worldwide deaths are really minor compared to the amount of people who die all the time anyway. You're upset because you hear about them on news every day. In fact I'll go further and say the actual death toll is much less than that because the social distancing and other restrictions have lowered regular transmitted disease rates pretty severely in most countries this year. The flu season, norovirus and strepto/pneumo stuff is down like more than half in tested infections compared to a regular year. So it looks worse than it actually is at least for now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BlackIronHeart posted:

Oh goons, never stop being goons. A general 'How to manage your money' class is needed in US primary education, yes.

It's in the middle school curriculum in my district. Not sure about other places though.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Nurge posted:

It probably helps if you think about in other terms. Those extra half a million worldwide deaths are really minor compared to the amount of people who die all the time anyway. You're upset because you hear about them on news every day. In fact I'll go further and say the actual death toll is much less than that because the social distancing and other restrictions have lowered regular transmitted disease rates pretty severely in most countries this year. The flu season, norovirus and strepto/pneumo stuff is down like more than half in tested infections compared to a regular year. So it looks worse than it actually is at least for now.

You've made your stance on COVID aka "gently caress it let's live" known many many times in this thread. And I've disagreed with it every time. Maybe if we lived in the same country, but even then more then likely not. I don't know why you think this time is any different.

Just admit to your self marginalizing death is weird as hell at best socicopathic at worst and move on.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zer0spunk posted:

You've made your stance on COVID aka "gently caress it let's live" known many many times in this thread. And I've disagreed with it every time. Maybe if we lived in the same country, but even then more then likely not. I don't know why you think this time is any different.

Just admit to your self marginalizing death is weird as hell at best socicopathic at worst and move on.

I have no idea what you're saying, but ok.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Nurge posted:

From what I was able to back up and read it sounds like they were rightfully calling you a selfish prick, but that just may be me after having read some of the asinine poo poo you managed to say ITT.

VVV No one freaken lives there, goes there, or leaves there.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 16, 2020

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't get it, how is Wisconsin not seeing a spike with being wide open the last few weeks? Bars are packed, racetracks are packed, no masks anywhere and numbers are not moving up?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Nurge posted:

maybe the half dozen probations and ban for your posting itt were a hint that your posts loving suck

NC hit another new hospitalization high today. 6 of the last 9 days have been new records

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Harminoff posted:

I don't get it, how is Wisconsin not seeing a spike with being wide open the last few weeks? Bars are packed, racetracks are packed, no masks anywhere and numbers are not moving up?

people said that about Georgia, now hitting record highs too. The problem is the slow-wave where it hit the coasts first before pushing in made those flyover states reckless. It's a contagious respiratory pandemic, act accordingly, don't sacrifice anyone needlessly.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Harminoff posted:

I remember a FB post by our county health board saying cases were up 20% but that was a few weeks ago. I haven't checked in a while though.

And yeah. Most things are completely open now. Restaurants were timid for a while since there was no warning or plan about the opening due to the republicans just taking it to the supreme court with no plan or even a plan for a plan. I haven't been to one though so I'm not sure what precautions they're taking.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

We seem to be pretty much done here in Quebec, we just pass under the hundred case a day, as long we don't open our border to the us we will be ok I think. That doesnt mean I think we stop the measures but it's good we can breath for a bit.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
According to the tracker I've been using for my state, my county's been in both the top 5 for new cases per day for 10+ days and also has more new cases per capita per day than the rest of the top 5 despite being a fraction of their size. god bless the south :smith:

also gently caress covid info groups on fb, the local one is entirely generational bitching about X group not wearing masks while shopping while tinfoilers talk about how we're all sheeple

anyone else live in a sportsball town with likely reopening? I'm super not looking forward to the normal traffic influx, especially if it coincides with schools opening back up. local hospital is already treading water

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Nurge posted:

actually you are wrong and those other deaths aren't "down"

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Inept posted:

maybe the half dozen probations and ban for your posting itt were a hint that your posts loving suck

NC hit another new hospitalization high today. 6 of the last 9 days have been new records

i'm going there on vacation in the next couple of weeks, most of the resort counties are very low in case counts and deaths thankfully. NC is pretty strict on their rules, if the increase continues do you think they'll lock back down?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Haven't seen this posted yet:

Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug

quote:

A cheap and widely available drug can help save the lives of patients seriously ill with coronavirus.

The low-dose steroid treatment dexamethasone is a major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus, UK experts say.

The drug is part of the world's biggest trial testing existing treatments to see if they also work for coronavirus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I am officially quarantined! :sicknasty:

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

It is good news, but not really changing the plot.

Patients on a ventilator have 1/3rd less chance to die, which is nice, but 2/3rds will still die.

It is not the kind of risk improvement that makes me change my behaviour. If I don't like the chances now, a 2/3rd chance is still not good.

It is nice for the people who will be saved by it, but that is background statistics to me, to be honest, because I have very little intention to get hooked up on a ventilator.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

Something said the protests weren’t causing an influx of cases likely because of mask wearing. I’m going to assume the rallies will cause an influx just like memorial day did, and that this will further a conspiracy that the virus is targeting a specific group of voters.

There seems to be a huge influx of cases, though.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mnoba posted:

i'm going there on vacation in the next couple of weeks, most of the resort counties are very low in case counts and deaths thankfully. NC is pretty strict on their rules, if the increase continues do you think they'll lock back down?

I think unless the hospitals get overwhelmed and people start dying in the parking lot, they're not going to close poo poo. Last week the governor said he wouldn't rule out moving on to less restrictive phases, even with the increases in infection count and hospitalizations.

Several counties and cities are considering mandatory mask orders, but it's not going to be enforced so no one's gonna do it who wasn't already.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The article basically states that due to the lag in testing data, it's too soon to tell.

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Inept posted:

Several counties and cities are considering mandatory mask orders, but it's not going to be enforced so no one's gonna do it who wasn't already.

Mask orders can have an effect even when people are not wearing them.

The first city in Germany that made masks mandatory saw a decrease in cases on the first day it was instated (a significant difference with the rest of Germany at that moment). Which couldn't be because of the masks, because it takes a couple of days before new infections become evident. Evidently the announcement - more than a week before - alone had made the people already more cautious in their behaviour, while they were searching to acquire a mask.

Of course those were Germans from the city where Carl Friedrich Gauss, Bernhard Riemann, Niels Bohr, David Hilbert, Wilhelm Hillebrand, Max Planck, Grete Hermann, Leo Szilard, Edward Teller and Robert Oppenheimer have studied, and not red-neck Americans, but even in the USA there might be some tiny effect.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Lotti Fuehrscheim posted:

Of course those were Germans from the city where Carl Friedrich Gauss, Bernhard Riemann, Niels Bohr, David Hilbert, Wilhelm Hillebrand, Max Planck, Grete Hermann, Leo Szilard, Edward Teller and Robert Oppenheimer have studied, and not red-neck Americans, but even in the USA there might be some tiny effect.

Ah yes, Germany, the country that has never visited atrocities on its own people.

Hey, you and everyone like you, spare the rest of us your dumb smarmy nationalism, no one gives a gently caress.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fried Watermelon posted:

actually you are wrong and those other deaths aren't "down"

The docs say they are. Unless you have a source for that I'm going to believe them. :shrug:

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

drat it's like you guys are just, like, genetically superior or something.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

HoAssHo posted:

drat it's like you guys are just, like, genetically superior or something.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/dallas-woman-battling-coronavirus-again/2389265/

A Dallas woman appears to be suffering from COVID-19, *4 months* after a previous bout of it. This seems different from the cases where people simply tested negative, then positive after being infected.

I really doubt she wasn't contagious for a second time if she was hospitalized for it twice.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Nurge posted:

The docs say they are. Unless you have a source for that I'm going to believe them. :shrug:

You first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mask orders can have an effect even when people are not wearing them.

The first city in Germany that made masks mandatory saw a decrease in cases on the first day it was instated (a significant difference with the rest of Germany at that moment). Which couldn't be because of the masks, because it takes a couple of days before new infections become evident. Evidently the announcement - more than a week before - alone had made the people already more cautious in their behaviour, while they were searching to acquire a mask.

Reminds me of the one good joke ever told by a German

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3rnYQYa71A