Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

blatman posted:

I just want an MMO where gear isn't invalidated as quickly because more things are situationally useful. I'm thinking like, certain weapon types are better for certain monster types so you bash skellingtons with a mace but stab dragons with spears

So you want a Vagrant Story MMO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I never played vagrant story but i'm going to assume my answer would be "yes please" if I had

I also wouldn't mind if there was a situational use for nonmagic equipment in a high-magic setting, maybe magic equipment has a resource cost, maybe magic armor makes you vulnerable to wizards like if you ran up to magneto while driving the cargo loader from aliens

I don't like the idea of actually-breakable equipment in games so just having magic weapons eat poo poo after 50 swings would suck but I could see a setup where you use non-magic weapons to clear a path to the boss where you then break out your demon greataxe of smiting, and then by the end of the fight your magic axe is depleted until you return to town

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

blatman posted:

I never played vagrant story but i'm going to assume my answer would be "yes please" if I had

I also wouldn't mind if there was a situational use for nonmagic equipment in a high-magic setting, maybe magic equipment has a resource cost, maybe magic armor makes you vulnerable to wizards like if you ran up to magneto while driving the cargo loader from aliens

I don't like the idea of actually-breakable equipment in games so just having magic weapons eat poo poo after 50 swings would suck but I could see a setup where you use non-magic weapons to clear a path to the boss where you then break out your demon greataxe of smiting, and then by the end of the fight your magic axe is depleted until you return to town
I had a design doc written up for an MMO no-one is ever going to make which was basically identical to this
If I had a game studio and a few tens of millions of dollars to burn, I'd be right on it

Also can't wait to see the reaction to New World. I'm gonna make some popcorn

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

blatman posted:

I just want an MMO where gear isn't invalidated as quickly because more things are situationally useful. I'm thinking like, certain weapon types are better for certain monster types so you bash skellingtons with a mace but stab dragons with spears

d&d online has all of that poo poo. i played a bit again recently after not playing for like 6 years, and while there's somewhat better gear out now, all my 6+ year old gear is still as OP as it was and relevant.

downside of this system is, i have like 9 hotbars worth of weapons, rings, trinkets, scrolls, wands, etc, because everything is situationally extremely useful. many classes get by with a bit less though, rogues can use literally anything. :v:

and then you have casters and, well, they're d&d casters duh. so instead of having 9 hotbars of weapons and scrolls you have 9 hotbars of spells.
e:

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 14, 2020

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

good thing I claimed that free content coupon for D&D Online just the other day huh, guess it's time to actually try it!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you're gonna play, check their forums/discord for builds. there's 3 billion trap options for just about any class that sound amazing but only really exist for very specific builds, and a lot of common sense ideas from pen and paper d&d simply don't pan out.

in return, you get probably the most diverse mmo, as far as character builds are concerned. it's not balanced very well, but as long as your character isn't completely broken you can do any content on any difficulty. and it actually plays quite well despite being built on top of 3.5.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blatman posted:

edit: also low barrier to getting good gear except it looks bland if it's just like masterwork banded mail armor +2 or whatever

That's one thing I really enjoy about EQ compared to basically all other RPGs, when you get a +2 broadsword that's a big deal and you can probably use that for like 20 levels.

An earring that gives +2 int is good until you're like level 40. And then due to no "soulbond", you can sell it back into the economy for basically what you paid for it.

That's so dramatically different from the Diablo loot system that you find in EVERY game now, where you're literally wading knee deep through a pile of loot everywhere you go.

That "ooh, this belt gives +20 STR" feeling may be good, but when you're replacing things every other minute nothing feels that significant.

So now WoW has to invent weird artifact weapons and special artifact equipment in order to give you actually meaningful progress and upgrades, which renders the rest of your loot basically completely insignificant. Just ilevel grind.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I am cautiously optimistic about blue Protocol but who knows if its even getting a western release

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zaphod42 posted:

That's one thing I really enjoy about EQ compared to basically all other RPGs, when you get a +2 broadsword that's a big deal and you can probably use that for like 20 levels.

An earring that gives +2 int is good until you're like level 40. And then due to no "soulbond", you can sell it back into the economy for basically what you paid for it.

That's so dramatically different from the Diablo loot system that you find in EVERY game now, where you're literally wading knee deep through a pile of loot everywhere you go.

That "ooh, this belt gives +20 STR" feeling may be good, but when you're replacing things every other minute nothing feels that significant.

So now WoW has to invent weird artifact weapons and special artifact equipment in order to give you actually meaningful progress and upgrades, which renders the rest of your loot basically completely insignificant. Just ilevel grind.

I always thought it’d be cool to have the system show histories of weapons. Like an “etching” system where you can read that “this broadsword was found in the guts of a bear by Boris the human warrior who used it to slay Nefarian, but who sold it to John the Enchanter for 8,000 Gil” or something. Or they could get real clever and have it auto-identify patterns where it says “usually wielded by fury warriors, it was used as a tanking weapon for a paladin by the name of Bob” as a special etching.

I mean poo poo, real world weapons had this poo poo. They’d have notches for slain enemies and poo poo. Team Fortress 2 tracks kills for weapons. Strange that high fantasy settings featuring role-playing doesn’t do that poo poo.

Alternatively I think that the Most Mathematically Important Item for characters (usually weapon) should always have a mechanic where it grows with the character so that your bad luck doesn’t gimp the gently caress out of you while you wait for a good drop.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Zaphod42 posted:

I feel like for EQ, Ruins of Kunark had the best setup for gear, every level could equip everything, very few no-trade items but the content was still balanced assuming you were gearing up while leveling. Also there were tons of items with cool clicky effects. On the flip side, epic weapons were not even remotely balanced with either other epic weapons or anything else in the game, I think warriors had to use one of their 2 epic swords for the next like 80 years and clerics got mana-free rez click sticks so that didn't go away for another 800 years but then you get like druids and theirs is a lovely sword where if you click it, 20 seconds later it finishes casting a really really bad dot, mages had the hardest quest by several orders of magnitude and theirs gave them a pet that got outright replaced as soon as the level cap increased etc

WoW was pretty cool for gear choices back in classic if you were willing to do math but you're right comparing that sort of game to Diablo. I remember buying some hunter/shaman gloves off the auction house in pre-TBC for my fury warrior because the devs just decided to toss weapon skill on that bad boy, turns out those gloves were best in slot until they removed weapon skill as an item stat

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Getting a Ghoulbane on my paladin loving ruled.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Everything you guys are asking for, including weapon etching was in Asheron's Call. Best MMO ever for the first 3 years if existence. If I had a time machine I would go back to my high school days and just play it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

D-Pad posted:

Everything you guys are asking for, including weapon etching was in Asheron's Call. Best MMO ever for the first 3 years if existence. If I had a time machine I would go back to my high school days and just play it.

Couldn't do it, I was too busy hate-playing WoW.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

D-Pad posted:

I'm still upset to this day the disaster that AC2 was and turbine in general.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

D-Pad posted:

Yeah AC loving ruled. I'm glad my buddy talked me into it for a hot minute. Was so much different than everything else.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is Darkfall any good? It sounds like a MMO fans dream but I hardly hear anything about it.

Its abhorrent, but it had some potential. I'm sure you can play many other games that fit the profile and are infinitely better, like life is feudal and last oasis etc

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Saw that Granado Espada released a new server, that game had some amazing character, music, and location design, and I have not found an MMO since that let you collect so many characters to use. It is a pity the core gameplay was so crap.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DC Universe Online is pretty fun. I was fighting Mr. Freeze with a character with ice powers and kept losing, and he said "you're not beating me in a snowball fight", so I changed my power quickbar from using ice powers with an emphasis on freezing to using ice powers with an emphasis on projectiles and shielding, then that worked. Some of the missions have fun minigames.

It seems like most of the time the the first time you encounter superheroes and villains, it's without context because they assume you're familiar with the DC Universe, so it's something like "help Felix Faust and Eclipso engulf the world in darkness by breaking these sacred urns guarded by hero NPCs, and then Zatanna is a boss battle, whoever that is". Only The Flash and Mr. Freeze get an explicit origin story included

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 16, 2020

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
Has anyone looked into the Bezos MMO(New World) coming out soon? From what I gathered, looks like poo poo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Froshty posted:

Has anyone looked into the Bezos MMO(New World) coming out soon? From what I gathered, looks like poo poo.
It had a clear vision and then they changed directions not long ago and now it's a game with no real identity, generic mmo quests, and a really clunky combat system that people think will play like dark souls while in reality it plays awful.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah AC loving ruled. I'm glad my buddy talked me into it for a hot minute. Was so much different than everything else.

wheres the drat project 1999 of AC?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Froshty posted:

I assume the overriding design philosophy of New World is whatever the coked out dev thought up and then makes the devs rework each week because its been like 3 different games now

its gonna be garbo

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cmdrk posted:

They're busy competing with each other to be The One Server Architecture For Asheron's Call, splitting the already small player base.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

frajaq posted:

just realized Pantheon may have more progress made in it than the Other Dead MMO that I had some interest in it, Camelot Unchained...

what a depressing genre

Wow that project's KS campaign ended over 7 years ago now and it still looks like a tech demo more than an actual video game. I can't imagine that working on any of these kickstarter MMOs has been fun, fulfilling or lucrative for any of the people involved. These guys should have just started making mobile games or something once the writing was on the wall for the MMO genre.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

cmdrk posted:

Right before the game shut down, they had announced that they were going to release the server files so anyone could run their own server. Before they could do it the studio split happened and the actual developers left to form Standing Stone. They were able to take DDO and LOTRO with them, but Turbine retains the rights to Asheron's Call. In addition, by the end, both AC and AC2 were being run by a single developer - Severian? - who left with the Standing Stone team.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

If you want to play Asheron's Call today, go here https://emulator.ac/

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015

eonwe posted:

I assume the overriding design philosophy of New World is whatever the coked out dev thought up and then makes the devs rework each week because its been like 3 different games now

its gonna be garbo

Pretty much. Getting 'Nam flashbacks to Guild Wars 2 and their "no role" design philosophy as well. Wont even bother until I see how it goes a month after launch

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
sometimes talking to an admin is like talking to a genie, except you never know what wish will be granted

i would like to welcome you all to PISS with open arms

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good new name

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My pleas to rename Mobile Gaming and Retro Games to Counting Unlimited Money and Seriously Harmful Intellivision Tricks were sadly unheard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Eox posted:

My pleas to rename Mobile Gaming and Retro Games to Counting Unlimited Money and Seriously Harmful Intellivision Tricks were sadly unheard.

I'm legit curious as to what seriously harmful intellivision tricks entails.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
That's a question for the poo poo posters

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Eox posted:

That's a question for the poo poo posters

God damnit how'd I miss that.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
go to bed Eox you're drunk

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

PJOmega posted:

I'm legit curious as to what seriously harmful intellivision tricks entails.

rigging up a playcable to let you shitpost using that beauty of a gamepad

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Has anyone done anything in the turn-based MMO space recently? I gather Dofus and Wakfu are still running.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's not a great idea to leave invite links around on the forums, but now would be a good time to hint at any cool goon MMO discords you're in so people can PM you for a link.

Froshty
Dec 8, 2015
I joined a couple discords already from the goon network. If anyone has an mmo general one, PM me or post it

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Froshty posted:

I joined a couple discords already from the goon network. If anyone has an mmo general one, PM me or post it

I need this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

also me

there's no other good place that I've found to just shoot the poo poo about old dead MMOs and reddit is not conducive to the sort of old dead MMO conversation I like