Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Fallom posted:

"there's no way this game doesn't have some giant horrible spider in it," i thought watching the trailer

It has anti-spider graphics options if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Colt Canyon is a kinda cool roguelite western shooter in the vein of Nuclear Throne, pretty good shooting considering the aesthetic.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

explosivo posted:

Shipbreaker seems pretty cool from what I've seen so far, I like the backwoods vibe with the guitar noodling and the set up for the story before you get started. I am curious to see how they keep things interesting as you progress through the game, from what I hear while there are a finite amount of ship designs the interiors are somewhat procedurally generated which is neat.

I'm not very far but I'm kind of turned off by the tedious process of tearing a whole ship apart. I'm sure this isn't/shouldn't be the gameplay loop but my OCD demands it. The fun is figuring out how to get valuable components out without blowing yourself up.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

If the page is to be believed there are 193 demos in this event

I may have to put a pause on my itch.io bundle diving

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

If the page is to be believed there are 193 demos in this event

I may have to put a pause on my itch.io bundle diving

Steam's Twitter says there are "over 900" demos. Quite a bit more.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

For the demo festival I found a number of games I was interested in demos for didn't have them on their store page - instead they had to be downloaded by going to the festival overview page, mousing over their entry, then installing from the button there.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I tried the skatebird demo and the controls seem really bad

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

This page is the first time I'm learning that 20XX has a sequel called 30XX.

also there's a game called Fightcrab

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The 7th Guest posted:

This page is the first time I'm learning that 20XX has a sequel called 30XX.

Was 20xx actually like, good? It just seems like a weird route to take the roguelike genre since the levels are the reason Megaman games are fun (and also stealing powers).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the only thing i know about 20xx is the mnemonic for one boss' weakness my brother and friend who played it came up with is "penguins hate squares"

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012
Does anyone have a list of Multiplayer demos? Not games with MP but demos that have MP.

So far I have:

Iron Harvest
Treasure Royale

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Superanos posted:

Steam's Twitter says there are "over 900" demos. Quite a bit more.
It doesn't seem like over 900 but there are a lot. Maybe more will rotate in but even going through the genres repeats keep showing up.

e: hmm Ghostrunner is by 3D "homophobia is fine actually" Realms, guess I'll scratch that one off

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 16, 2020

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

also there's a game called Fightcrab

The trailers for this are great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Starstruck: Hands of Time is a story-rich, genre-defying roleplaying rhythm adventure. Play guitar and explore a miniature diorama world as two guitarist claymation kids, and then help them progress by rampaging around their city as a giant destructive time-travelling hand.

sure why not

e: THIS IS LITERALLY JUST STAR FOX. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249480/ExZodiac/

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 16, 2020

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Iron Harvest 1942 feels pretty crappy and it's a shame. The AI of individual squads and soldiers is kind of hosed up and I often find my guys doing things I definitely don't want them doing, like wasting time trying to glue themselves to the nearest wall instead of opening fire right away. I could understand them doing that if they were taking fire but they were not, they were firing at an enemy BEHIND them, making their cover pointless, and in support of another squad.

The game seems to be full of weird things like that. Squads feel very "sticky" and slow even on the retreat, soldiers are often bumping into terrain which slows down the whole squad and the cover mechanics are lovely too since not every piece of terrain provides cover, which in turn means soldiers in a squad remain spread out instead of getting into positions that allow them to quickly lay down fire on any incoming enemy. There's also a bizarre difference between the responsiveness of AI squads and my own; The AI, for example, can easily dodge grenades that you throw in their direction but my own guys seem to prioritize animation when turning around and so are MUCH slower to actually get moving. Back in Company of Heroes it was really easy to dodge nades when you saw them coming but in here, I feel as if my guys don't actually respond the way I want them to do even if I do my part and order them to move.

It's just not very fun. I feel like I'm struggling to control my dudes in a way that I haven't felt in an RTS in a VERY long time. And on top of that, the presentation leaves a lot to be desired too. The graphic design for units is ok, borderline too cartoony for what's essentially a serious story, but most importantly everything feels teeny and puny which is not really what you want in a game with giant robots.

I'm really disappointed, to be honest.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GrandpaPants posted:

Was 20xx actually like, good? It just seems like a weird route to take the roguelike genre since the levels are the reason Megaman games are fun (and also stealing powers).

I don't generally like procedurally generated levels but 20XX made it work.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So no sale, just demos? It's like Steam knows they have a captive audience with COVID.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Explorer posted:

So no sale, just demos? It's like Steam knows they have a captive audience with COVID.

sale's next week through the 4th of july

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

sale's next week through the 4th of july

woohoo! not sure how I missed that

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I don't know that actually I'd call Earthbreakers "good" but I had fun running into the enemy HQ with a flamethrower and burninating everyone and everything while a team on enemy engineers desperately try and repair it. That and runnin people over in my tank.

Kills make the noise you want them too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hey, I don't know four of those games and have to pick one. If you know which one is the best, let me know -- I'm currently divided between Felix and Stillness of the Wind.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

Det_no posted:

Iron Harvest 1942 feels pretty crappy and it's a shame. The AI of individual squads and soldiers is kind of hosed up and I often find my guys doing things I definitely don't want them doing, like wasting time trying to glue themselves to the nearest wall instead of opening fire right away. I could understand them doing that if they were taking fire but they were not, they were firing at an enemy BEHIND them, making their cover pointless, and in support of another squad.

The game seems to be full of weird things like that. Squads feel very "sticky" and slow even on the retreat, soldiers are often bumping into terrain which slows down the whole squad and the cover mechanics are lovely too since not every piece of terrain provides cover, which in turn means soldiers in a squad remain spread out instead of getting into positions that allow them to quickly lay down fire on any incoming enemy. There's also a bizarre difference between the responsiveness of AI squads and my own; The AI, for example, can easily dodge grenades that you throw in their direction but my own guys seem to prioritize animation when turning around and so are MUCH slower to actually get moving. Back in Company of Heroes it was really easy to dodge nades when you saw them coming but in here, I feel as if my guys don't actually respond the way I want them to do even if I do my part and order them to move.

It's just not very fun. I feel like I'm struggling to control my dudes in a way that I haven't felt in an RTS in a VERY long time. And on top of that, the presentation leaves a lot to be desired too. The graphic design for units is ok, borderline too cartoony for what's essentially a serious story, but most importantly everything feels teeny and puny which is not really what you want in a game with giant robots.

I'm really disappointed, to be honest.

TBH as of now it just feels like a bad CoH. The mechs are just tanks that move slower and weirder, no like jumping stomping etc... The infantry units are pretty bland. It feels like someones total conversion of CoH 1.

Small tweaks to the CoH1 formula actually hurt it imo… The tanks/mechs feel like they don't have any punch giant mortars can go off and even infantry get right back up and deflections/crits seem to be removed. While I know the system was controversial with it removed it just feels super sterile. Company of Heroes is probably my favorite RTS of all time so its still ok-medicore the problem is it doesn't try anything novel really at all.

dogsupremacy
Dec 3, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Hey, I don't know four of those games and have to pick one. If you know which one is the best, let me know -- I'm currently divided between Felix and Stillness of the Wind.

Barotrauma is the best if you enjoy multiplayer games.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has anything managed to improve on CoH? That game was so great.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Kings Bird and Stillness of the Wind are both in the itchio bundle if you got that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dawn of War 2 is... almost as good?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mordja posted:

So I don't know that actually I'd call Earthbreakers "good" but I had fun running into the enemy HQ with a flamethrower and burninating everyone and everything while a team on enemy engineers desperately try and repair it. That and runnin people over in my tank.

Kills make the noise you want them too.

I was like "That doesn't sound like Shipbreakers at all" but then realized you were talking about Earthbreakers. Between these two and "The Riftbreaker" it's a good day for games named "____breaker"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wiltsghost posted:

Kings Bird and Stillness of the Wind are both in the itchio bundle if you got that.

Dang, forgot to check in that ridiculous trove. Felix the Reaper it is, then. Thanks much. Do you want a Steam key for FTL, Age of Wonders 3, Spelunky, or This War of Mine? Got spares and can PM you one.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

dogsupremacy posted:

TBH as of now it just feels like a bad CoH. The mechs are just tanks that move slower and weirder, no like jumping stomping etc... The infantry units are pretty bland. It feels like someones total conversion of CoH 1.

Small tweaks to the CoH1 formula actually hurt it imo… The tanks/mechs feel like they don't have any punch giant mortars can go off and even infantry get right back up and deflections/crits seem to be removed. While I know the system was controversial with it removed it just feels super sterile. Company of Heroes is probably my favorite RTS of all time so its still ok-medicore the problem is it doesn't try anything novel really at all.

I hate how every cannon shot is just a penetrating blow that has 0 visual impact on mechs. Barely any sparks, no dents or holes, the robots don't even flinch or anything. It's just like ghosts punching each other until one of them explodes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fruits of the sea posted:

Dawn of War 2 is... almost as good?

I'd say it's as good but does something pretty different, at least as far as the campaigns go.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

Dang, forgot to check in that ridiculous trove. Felix the Reaper it is, then. Thanks much. Do you want a Steam key for FTL, Age of Wonders 3, Spelunky, or This War of Mine? Got spares and can PM you one.

Sure, I'll take This War of Mine. I somehow don't have that one. Thanks!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The 7th Guest posted:

Starstruck: Hands of Time is a story-rich, genre-defying roleplaying rhythm adventure. Play guitar and explore a miniature diorama world as two guitarist claymation kids, and then help them progress by rampaging around their city as a giant destructive time-travelling hand.

sure why not

e: THIS IS LITERALLY JUST STAR FOX. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249480/ExZodiac/

I am not about to play any Star Fox game that runs faster than ten FPS thank you but no thanks.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Why the gently caress wont someone copy Star Fox 64? It's like, the perfect game. Sorry I'm just mad that I clicked on this and saw that awful, awful art style. Plus if you're not doin poo poo with getting a high score and mechanics around that, you've missed the point.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I hate that this is time-limited with the demos. Just leave 'em up! I don't have time to tool around with most of em this week.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

COH2 is overly similar to its predecessor and so too unambitious for a sequel, but the improved UI made it real hard to go back.

I never touched the singeplayer.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

sure why not

oh fuckkkkkk I remember seeing a preview about this eons ago

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The 7th Guest posted:

sure why not

Starstruck is cool and is on my wishlist.

J
Jun 10, 2001

drat I just played the riftbreaker demo and I loved it. You control a mech suit with WSAD and go out to gather some resources to build up a base, with walls, towers, power plants, etc. The resource system is basically like total annihilation, income is measured in resources per second so you have power, various metals, etc. You've got melee attacks and various abilities on 1-5, and your base gets attacked every now and then by various bugs that you have to defend against. You can go out on the map and setup outposts on more mineral veins and such to keep growing your income, and you can build teleporters to bounce around between your bases. Looks like there is some sort of way to craft equipment, new melee weapons and guns for your mech suit from all the various materials you get from killing bugs.

The demo is a pre-alpha build with only 1 mission but it looks and feels great. Shame there is no info about a release date but I am really looking forward to it from just that tiny demo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Anyone screw around with Summer in Mara or Spiritfarer yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Servers are getting loving slaughtered.