Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

AlternateNu posted:

So, those weapon avoidance abilities. I'm guessing they're only active when you have that specific weapon equipped, right? You can't just have that weapon in an item slot? Or if you have a spell equipped?

you need a sword equipped, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/bearsketches/status/1225304322562392064

They're the best kids.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

That Petra is looking a lot like Korra. :v:

So, I went S rank with Dorothea on my run, and Petra ended up marrying Lin. Do Petra and Dorothea get together if you choose someone else?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

AlternateNu posted:

So, I went S rank with Dorothea on my run, and Petra ended up marrying Lin. Do Petra and Dorothea get together if you choose someone else?

They can. Who ends up in paired endings get ranked by how many support points they have between each other, I think, assuming they have a paired ending programmed into the game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you can easily check pairings out at the DLC-added fortune teller.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

you can easily check pairings out at the DLC-added fortune teller.

I'm not spending $25 on DLC for this game unless it is an entire new story route. :colbert:

Edit: Huh. Someone created a site where you can choose two characters and see their paired ending.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 15, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you're planning on doing more playthroughs i seriously think the dlc is actually worth it. The side story is cool and good, and the new characters, classes, and extra bells and whistles really add a lot to the main game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Shadow225 posted:

gently caress

I DON'T WANNA MAKE HILDA MY DANCER

I made Claude my dancer on my first playthrough so I feel your pain.

To be honest I didn't really use my dancer much on my second playthrough, only when I did my last one and made Ferdie my dancer and gave him Yuri's relic did I get a lot of mileage out of the dancer. Being able to both dodge tank and have canto after dancing made him amazing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Petra and Dorothea are one of the couples that the fandom has coalesced around and are now fanon. Like Sylvain and Felix or Hilda and Marianne.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I'm in month 4 of a Deer playthrough, and I'm guessing Sylvain is a more-or-less guaranteed recruit? I wasn't even going for him, and he just opened up to poaching. I was able to snag Annette and am trying for Mercedes to keep the duo together. I bought a couple ranks for Lin, Dorothea, and Caspar to get them on this playthrough, too. Its crazy how much flexibility just buying rank A+ professor level alone opens the game up. I have way more characters than I know what to do with. Ignatz is a crap character and probably my weakest so far, so I have basically dumped him.

And I'm going to take a stab at Claude backstory on what they've given me so far + anime logic. He's obviously Almyran. His mother ran off with an Almyran warrior during one of their incursions into Alliance territory. He's likely the son of (or at least related to) that Nader guy I fought in the Eagle route. And it's why he was so keen on straight up leaving Fodlan after losing. And since everything revolves around Byleth and the Sword, Claude probably wants the Sword to conquer Fodlan and join it with Almyra. The specifics of "why" are more difficult to answer. It's probably due to some horrible genocidal act/war crime the old Adrestian Empire did against Almyra years prior. And now that I remember it, he mentions his crest a couple times, so it may be a minor variation of the Flame Crest or a mutation based on lineage to Nemesis that should theoretically let him use the Sword like how Edelgard was forcefully implanted with one.

Eimi posted:

Petra and Dorothea are one of the couples that the fandom has coalesced around and are now fanon. Like Sylvain and Felix or Hilda and Marianne.

Makes sense since Petra specifically asks Dorothea to come back with her to Brigid, but Hilda/Marianne? I've only hit their rank B so far, but I don't see it. I've been enjoying Hilda/Lorenz because its like two terrible people trying to manipulate each other, but only one is succeeding. And she's too dumb to realize how lovely a person it makes her.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

AlternateNu posted:

I'm in month 4 of a Deer playthrough, and I'm guessing Sylvain is a more-or-less guaranteed recruit? I wasn't even going for him, and he just opened up to poaching. I was able to snag Annette and am trying for Mercedes to keep the duo together. I bought a couple ranks for Lin, Dorothea, and Caspar to get them on this playthrough, too. Its crazy how much flexibility just buying rank A+ professor level alone opens the game up. I have way more characters than I know what to do with. Ignatz is a crap character and probably my weakest so far, so I have basically dumped him.

Are you playing as female Byleth? Sylvain will flat out ignore his recruitment reqs and instantly join if you play as her.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah if youre female byleth recruiting sylvain can literally be the first thing you do

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
loving lol. Ok. I mean, makes sense at least. Just didn't expect them to be so blatant about it.

It's definitely an interesting situation to have more playable characters than the other two houses combined. Will be fun to see how they handle the Battle of Eagle + Lion. There should be a hidden route if you manage to snag all of the recruitable characters from the other two houses before the time skip. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I mean, honestly, the only thing recruiting everyone does is make all the chapters where you would fight your classmates just a lot less interesting. It's not like you'll be using all of your massive posse anyway.

I make it a point to only recruit up to exactly 15 people, and maybe allow one or two more for some paralogues with items i want if i couldn't fit those into the 15.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Amppelix posted:

I mean, honestly, the only thing recruiting everyone does is make all the chapters where you would fight your classmates just a lot less interesting. It's not like you'll be using all of your massive posse anyway.

I make it a point to only recruit up to exactly 15 people, and maybe allow one or two more for some paralogues with items i want if i couldn't fit those into the 15.

There's unique dialog for people if they're on different routes. One big chunk comes at the start of Crimson Flower, where you get a little talk with everyone on why they're throwing in with you and El against the church, despite that being one of the biggest breaks with tradition imaginable, but there's a lot that shifts. For example, Bernie leaves her room for keeps in Crimson Flower, while she stays shut away in the other routes.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you know what, i completely forgot about that. mostly because i don't think everyone monthly monastery snippets are all the interesting either, usually.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Makes sense since Petra specifically asks Dorothea to come back with her to Brigid, but Hilda/Marianne? I've only hit their rank B so far, but I don't see it. I've been enjoying Hilda/Lorenz because its like two terrible people trying to manipulate each other, but only one is succeeding. And she's too dumb to realize how lovely a person it makes her.

I don't get it either, I personally think Claude is the only person who's able to beat Hilda at her bullshit, but a lot of people like Hilda and love that ship so I'm missing something there. :shrug: But I def think that if there's a gay ship possible the fans will latch onto it over a possible straight ship.

Like of that characters I think only Dimitri has close to as much straight fanart as gay, and both are with Byleth. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

From very early on, Hilda is the one trying to get Marianne to open up. They're the ones standing together when you're walking around meeting everyone for the first time, and in early story scenes she's the one who prods at Marianne to say something. It's cute.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Pink + blue is also a good combination. It's why I also like Caspar/Hilda.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Caspar/Hilda is good because Caspar is maximum himbo by the end

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

Caspar/Hilda is good because Caspar is maximum himbo by the end

I like that by paralleling Caspar's support with Dorothea and Hilda you gain greater insight into how he became the himbo that he is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

But I def think that if there's a gay ship possible the fans will latch onto it over a possible straight ship.
lolno

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lesbian shipping... clearly the thing the fans will dedicate themselves to at any cost, regardless of logic

archiveofourown dot com slash fire emblem three houses

and the fire emblem series as a whole

fire emblem's numbers are insanely high compared to most fandoms too, heres the numbers for final fantasy as a whole

literally the concept of polyamory being more popular than f/f lol

im not gonna say fanfic is an axis of oppression but acting like people always contort themselves into knots to justify the clearly insanely popular route of thinkings characters in fiction are lesbians is insanely not true

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Caspar/Hilda is also the most overtly sexual support I’ve ever seen in a Fire Emblem. Even if they end up getting hitched with someone else, they definitely banged.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Caspar/Hilda is also the most overtly sexual support I’ve ever seen in a Fire Emblem. Even if they end up getting hitched with someone else, they definitely banged.
Remember Josh and Marisa's support in FE8?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

This assumes Hilda could explain to Caspar what sex is

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Could someone answer this:
Is the Flame Emperor the same person in all three plotlines? It'd be cool playing through again as that person's professor.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Flempy's identity is a constant, yes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei Hyde posted:

Well someone has to teach him what it is.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Caspar's C support with Dorothea is always vaguely horny. Moral of the story is be a dumb fightsexual if you want cute girls to love you.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

Caspar is more shonen protagonist dumb than sack of hammers dumb. Tell him in the most blunt and direct way possible, and he'll immediately figure out what you're talking about.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I really want to argue that Caspar isn't actually dumb at all, just very enthusiastic, but I just can't get over how his victory quote changes from pre-timeskip "right makes might, right?" to fuckin confidently "might makes right!!" like NO you stupid fucker stop that right now

no surprise he's down with Edelgard unless you persuade him otherwise. idiot

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I like these things, had to think hard a couple of times

https://fanfictionimg.tumblr.com/fe3h

My top 10:
1. Felix
2. Ashe
3. Dimitri
4. Leonie
5. Marianne
6. Claude
6. Sylvain
8. Linhardt
9. Ferdinand
10. Bernadetta

I even got a tie! I did it twice, the first time was mostly the same but Hapi made it into the top 10 in Bernie's place. A few times I should have chosen tie, maybe.

Bottom 5 is very boring, Rhea, Cyril, Jeritza (haven't done his DLC so I may be misguided), Anna, Byleth M. Byleth F got out of there just because I've played her and I prefer an emotionless void to Cyril. Hanneman also barely escaped.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Huh, that's my feelings but I guess the data shows I'm wrong. I'm honestly surprised by how wrong I am.

eating only apples posted:

My top 10:
1. Felix
2. Ashe
3. Dimitri
4. Leonie
5. Marianne
6. Claude
6. Sylvain
8. Linhardt
9. Ferdinand
10. Bernadetta

I even got a tie! I did it twice, the first time was mostly the same but Hapi made it into the top 10 in Bernie's place. A few times I should have chosen tie, maybe.

Bottom 5 is very boring, Rhea, Cyril, Jeritza (haven't done his DLC so I may be misguided), Anna, Byleth M. Byleth F got out of there just because I've played her and I prefer an emotionless void to Cyril. Hanneman also barely escaped.

A fun thing, though no surprises on mine.

1. Edelgard
2. Bernadetta
3. Lysithea
4. Sothis
5. Ferdinand
6. Hubert
7. Dorothea
8. Marianne
9. Byleth (F)
10. Sylvain

I do feel bad for Raphael who somehow got on the bottom of the list, when I just feel massive indifference for him.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm too lazy to do the whole thing but it made me realize that the only reason I'd vote Ignatz over someone is his "LET ME PAINT YOU A PICTURE" critical line.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He is definitely better then Rhea though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

lunar detritus posted:

I'm too lazy to do the whole thing but it made me realize that the only reason I'd vote Ignatz over someone is his "LET ME PAINT YOU A PICTURE" critical line.

For me Ig rated... not high, but above at least almost all the staff and Cyril. You've gotta put him above Cyril at least. I didn't save my full list but I think he ended up above Balthus too.

e: same for Eimi above, you rated Cyril over notably Good Lad Raph??

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

No major surprises for me, though I didn't realize just how little I cared for Jeritza until I realized how only beat Gilbert and the Byleths.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

For me Ig rated... not high, but above at least almost all the staff and Cyril. You've gotta put him above Cyril at least. I didn't save my full list but I think he ended up above Balthus too.

e: same for Eimi above, you rated Cyril over notably Good Lad Raph??

I think the first time Raph showed up he was against Dedue or something and since I don't really care for either of them I just hit tie and I never saw his picture again. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eimi posted:

Huh, that's my feelings but I guess the data shows I'm wrong. I'm honestly surprised by how wrong I am.

You might not be as wrong as you think.

A03 was basically created for yaoi fanfics, so there's a heavy bias built right in there. From what I've seen, fanart (at least from western sources) is more likely to tilt in the other direction.